Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm so tired of Manjaro audio issues with the browser. Today I'm seeing 10 audio input options, but System default works. There's only one output option: System default, and it doesn't work.

Last month, Chrome got it wrong nearly 100% of the time and Firefox got it right nearly 100% of the time. Now it's switched.

Lately I've given up on the system audio settings dialog and I'm just routing everything to everything in Helvium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You could've posted that exact post at any point between when Linux decided to take an axe OSS and now.

Meanwhile, FreeBSDs fork of OSS still works great.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

*rolls eyes*

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You could've posted that exact post at any point between when Linux decided to take an axe OSS and now.

And when Linux decided to move from alsa to pulse, too.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

*rolls eyes*
Look, my posting brand isn't gonna maintain itself!

All kidding aside, I was going for something a bit more sympathetic, but I can see how it came off as arrogant. I apologize for that.

VictualSquid posted:

I hope PipeWire turns out to be better than Pulse, because holy poo poo am I sick of that.
Only thing PulseAudio is good for is if you need to distribute music via multicast to a DIY whole-home audio system - and even then, you have to fight it all the way.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

It never moved from alsa. Alsa is still the framework that provides the actual drivers.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In my experience, PipeWire finally gets Linux audio right from a user perspective. So ALSA takes care of the drivers and low-level stuff, while PW handles the userspace logic. It's even a better Pulseaudio implementation than Pulseaudio and a very competent JACK replacement too.

So you can send any audio to anywhere you want, apply EQ or effects easily and switch inputs/outputs on the fly without having to restart any audio-playing applications.

And while it's still in early stages, it will do the same for video on Wayland, so routing any video to anywhere and simplifying using webcams and recording video.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 30, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pipewire was a bit sketchy a couple of years ago, but I've had zero problems with it since then.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If PipeWire can do the multicast nonsense that I'm using PulseAudio for, without having to fight with it occasionally, that'll be fantastic.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, things are in transition (still) and I think my two browsers just haven't caught up quite yet. I'm sure it's coming. It's just annoying to deal with right now.

PipeWire does seem like the Right Thing to me. PulseAudio was honestly a step in the right direction, and probably needed to happen, but, yeah, it had a lot of room for improvement.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cruft posted:

I'm so tired of Manjaro audio issues with the browser. Today I'm seeing 10 audio input options, but System default works. There's only one output option: System default, and it doesn't work.

Last month, Chrome got it wrong nearly 100% of the time and Firefox got it right nearly 100% of the time. Now it's switched.

You might want to check what audio packages are actually installed / make sure you're on wireplumber as the session manager. Or even just reinstall the manjaro-pipewire metapackage.

I'm not sure what Manjaro is doing by default right now, because I manually shifted over to pure pipewire+wireplumber myself last year when the distro was still farting around with pulseaudio. Anyways I think they kinda bungled it a bit. And looking at their forums I'm starting to feel like the average manjaro user has lost the plot. Half the people on their boards seem to be complaining about things being updated, "pulseaudio works keep it", et cetera. Which is like, buddy this is supposed to be a rolling release distro, if you want stability you should be somewhere else.

OTOH personally I'd pin an issue like this on chrome over anything else. TBQH chrome is one of the most consistent problem citizens for me, particularly with audio & video stuff.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

You might want to check what audio packages are actually installed / make sure you're on wireplumber as the session manager. Or even just reinstall the manjaro-pipewire metapackage.

I'm not sure what Manjaro is doing by default right now, because I manually shifted over to pure pipewire+wireplumber myself last year when the distro was still farting around with pulseaudio. Anyways I think they kinda bungled it a bit. And looking at their forums I'm starting to feel like the average manjaro user has lost the plot. Half the people on their boards seem to be complaining about things being updated, "pulseaudio works keep it", et cetera. Which is like, buddy this is supposed to be a rolling release distro, if you want stability you should be somewhere else.

OTOH personally I'd pin an issue like this on chrome over anything else. TBQH chrome is one of the most consistent problem citizens for me, particularly with audio & video stuff.

It's just like the browsers aren't getting the message when I choose a new audio output. And the just dizzying number of options doesn't help, either. Some of that is my fault, the USB docking station, and the HDMI monitor, and the builtin audio, and the bluetooth, and who knows what else, are just a whole lot of possibilities for "the right place to send audio". I assume there's some mechanism for communicating this, but the browser people aren't convinced it's stable yet, so they're trying to make guesses.

I don't know why it doesn't just provide an audio sink named "Default" that everything can use unless the user says differently, but whatever. It also seems to be exacerbated by Video chat apps trying to be clever.

Feels like the kind of mess I'm familiar with when there's an explosion of software ecological niches, honestly. In a year or two it'll settle down and we'll just have one thing that everybody hates but mostly works.

e: I am for sure using the pipewire sink but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check this again. Thing is, I'm probably switching jobs soon, so I don't feel compelled to sink any time in figuring out what's wrong with this laptop I'm about to give back. Thanks, everyone, for listening to me complain ;)

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 30, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

cruft posted:

It's just like the browsers aren't getting the message when I choose a new audio output. And the just dizzying number of options doesn't help, either. Some of that is my fault, the USB docking station, and the HDMI monitor, and the builtin audio, and the bluetooth, and who knows what else, are just a whole lot of possibilities for "the right place to send audio". I assume there's some mechanism for communicating this, but the browser people aren't convinced it's stable yet, so they're trying to make guesses.

I don't know why it doesn't just provide an audio sink named "Default" that everything can use unless the user says differently, but whatever. It also seems to be exacerbated by Video chat apps trying to be clever.

I'm sure there's a standard default sink that points to whatever the current actual output is. Something just isn't following that connection properly. Possibly they're doing something specific that worked under pulseaudio, but also a browser may have additional barriers to switching IO due to security concerns.

Like, here's the thing I was having for quite some time: when I turned on my bluetooth headphones, chrome wouldn't switch audio until I changed the bluetooth audio codec profile in the hamburger dropdown. This is what it looks like when I connect the headphones:

To get chrome to use them, I needed to switch to the generic "A2DP Sink" with no codec specified. The generic sink still uses LDAP, I checked in bluetoothctl. Complete wtf. No other piece of software had any problem.

It got fixed at some point, possibly when I switched from pipewire-media-session to wireplumber or possibly from a chrome update. Pretty minor, at least compared to how much trouble chrome has been with video accel.

cruft posted:

Feels like the kind of mess I'm familiar with when there's an explosion of software ecological niches, honestly. In a year or two it'll settle down and we'll just have one thing that everybody hates but mostly works.

Yeah, same with wayland. But over the last year I've been pretty impressed with how frequently something will actually get better. Compared to the old regimes, where I'd set up a dual boot for a bit and see the same poo poo from the last go-around 3 years previous, it's a wonder.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Klyith posted:

It got fixed at some point, possibly when I switched from pipewire-media-session to wireplumber or possibly from a chrome update. Pretty minor, at least compared to how much trouble chrome has been with video accel.

I think there was an update to PW at some point, to improve automatic Bluetooth codec selection, so that was probably it.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Klyith posted:

To get chrome to use them, I needed to switch to the generic "A2DP Sink" with no codec specified. The generic sink still uses LDAP, I checked in bluetoothctl. Complete wtf. No other piece of software had any problem.

Man am I glad I don't need to speak LDAP with my headphones...

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Keito posted:

Man am I glad I don't need to speak LDAP with my headphones...

Oh sure, first you have to bind (usually anonymously) to the correct domain (in this case your head), then you just do a query on "(|(cn=left)(cn=leftEar)(cn=oreille_gauche))" to retrieve the target (I think that covers all manufacturers but check your local specs for the correct canonical name) and then finally you can write a 16-bit sample to the returned distinguished name.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

cruft posted:

Oh sure, first you have to bind (usually anonymously) to the correct domain (in this case your head), then you just do a query on "(|(cn=left)(cn=leftEar)(cn=oreille_gauche))" to retrieve the target (I think that covers all manufacturers but check your local specs for the correct canonical name) and then finally you can write a 16-bit sample to the returned distinguished name.

Oh god it hasn't been long enough since I set up nss_ldap.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Planning a Linux setup with the unofficial Arch Linux GUI installer to dual boot with my existing Windows 11 install, is there any advantage to using xfs, zfs, or btrfs over ext4 on a puny 512 gig SSD? I used zfs for one of the two partitions on my thinkpad and the only difference I noticed was that, when I accidentally put /home in the smaller partition and / in the bigger one, the zfs partition that was meant to be /home but ended up as / couldn't be shrunk and I had to suck up wasting a third of the SSD (I wasn't about to redo a manual Arch installation, that poo poo is annoying). :sadpeanut:

I have tested the Arch GUI installer and bricked it in hours because I enabled verbose start but forgot how to update grub properly and nuked my config and it's shocking how well it works. Everything is preconfigured including graphics drivers and it uses the ubuntu installer. You have to pacman -S archlinux-keyring before updating because iso is five months old amd completely offline but otherwise it works almost as well as ubuntu out of the box.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 1, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Woolie Wool posted:

Planning a Linux setup with the unofficial Arch Linux GUI installer to dual boot with my existing Windows 11 install, is there any advantage to using xfs, zfs, or btrfs over ext4 on a puny 512 gig SSD?

If using btrfs and set up a standard way, pacman can automatically make snapshots before upgrades. Then you have instant rollback if you grab an update that breaks your poo poo, or brick it yourself trying new things. I super regret not setting up my install that way.

read the docs though https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/snapper

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
With btrfs and zfs, you can enable compression and extend the life of your ssd a little. Btrfs has the usability advantage over zfs here for having native support without jumping through any technical hoops.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've been using NixOS as a daily driver on my Dell XPS 13 and it has been great.

My current desktop is a Windows 10 Intel i9/GTX 2080. I really want to move to a nix based desktop - I do really lightweight gaming (Stellaris rimworld and slay the spire) and I'm wondering if my setup will be okay/stable enough with Nvidia shenanigans? Or should I bite the bullet and build an amd machine? Specifically asking for drivers/stability purposes

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just used archinstall to reinstall with a partitioned /home and BTRFS so hopefully IM DONE REINSTALLING

(lmfao)

also I think one of my sticks of ram is hosed up or something cause my system keeps freezing seemingly randomly recently... I keep putting off digging through the journal cause effort

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Gyshall posted:

I've been using NixOS as a daily driver on my Dell XPS 13 and it has been great.

My current desktop is a Windows 10 Intel i9/GTX 2080. I really want to move to a nix based desktop - I do really lightweight gaming (Stellaris rimworld and slay the spire) and I'm wondering if my setup will be okay/stable enough with Nvidia shenanigans? Or should I bite the bullet and build an amd machine? Specifically asking for drivers/stability purposes

Nvidia works fine these days mostly but idk anything about nix so ymmv? Its probably fine.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mr. Crow posted:

Nvidia works fine these days mostly but idk anything about nix so ymmv? Its probably fine.

Cool. Not really a nix question so much as a, how incompatible will this be question. Appreciate the feedback!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I game much harder games and don't even have a windows partition I think it'll be chill

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
everyone in this thread remember to enable trim.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Isn't trim enabled by default these days? E.g. maybe distro specific but i am pretty sure most already handle it correctly

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Gyshall posted:

If anything nix should be less fragile (as far as Linux distros go), because it allows you to roll back to a previous version of your system if anything goes wrong after an update. You can also declare that your system should use a specific version/commit of a package, useful if know that works for you.

Only real way to see how stable it truly is is to test it. Maybe try an image on a USB and see if basic stuff works OK before you nuke your windows install.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

If using btrfs and set up a standard way, pacman can automatically make snapshots before upgrades. Then you have instant rollback if you grab an update that breaks your poo poo, or brick it yourself trying new things. I super regret not setting up my install that way.

read the docs though https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/snapper

this made my arch install self-destruct. Even trying to rebuild grub from official media didn't work because my root filesystem appeared to be borked after rebooting with the btrfs snapshotting programs installed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

Isn't trim enabled by default these days? E.g. maybe distro specific but i am pretty sure most already handle it correctly
In theory sure, except for all of the drives where it's implemented poorly and thereby requires a quirk (or whatever Linux calls it) to have TRIM disabled.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Woolie Wool posted:

this made my arch install self-destruct. Even trying to rebuild grub from official media didn't work because my root filesystem appeared to be borked after rebooting with the btrfs snapshotting programs installed.

The catch-22 of arch: in order to have the thing that recovers from borking your install, you have to install the thing without borking your install.

(You might want to try EndeavourOS, it will set that stuff up properly OOTB with the standard subvolume layouts as used by mainstream distros. And then afterwards you get everything from arch repos just like normal arch.)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Is there a stable way to sync a homedir across machines, including laptops that won't always be able to mount a share or anything?

Are people just using syncthing for this, or is there an actual best practice way?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
In theory I think systemd-homed solves this but support for it still seems touch and go.

I just use syncthing and/or https://github.com/thoughtbot/rcm for selective file syncing.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Woolie Wool posted:

What did you do? Just curious because I don't know how simply installing snap-pac-grub (which is all you need to do for automatic snapshot creation and GRUB menu updates whenever pacman runs) from the AUR could lead to an unbootable system.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RFC2324 posted:

Is there a stable way to sync a homedir across machines, including laptops that won't always be able to mount a share or anything?
My home directory is a git repo which contains versioned dot files and such (with a bunch of ignores). For data I just use rsync.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

The catch-22 of arch: in order to have the thing that recovers from borking your install, you have to install the thing without borking your install.

(You might want to try EndeavourOS, it will set that stuff up properly OOTB with the standard subvolume layouts as used by mainstream distros. And then afterwards you get everything from arch repos just like normal arch.)

I decided to reinstall Arch from the official media and not a hosed up GUI installer from months ago, though I had to patch the python error they left in the archinstall script (:ughh:). This time I'm just using ext4, no fancy poo poo.

It'll be interesting to see if I can keep this install going for years. My Arch install on my ThinkPad has been dead-nuts reliable since I first installed it 5 years ago, but ThinkPads are indestructible cockroach computers that the sort of goony nerds who develop Linux programs know inside and out. My main desktop PC has a cheap and flaky B350 motherboard, an nVidia card (nVidia drivers being the bane of other Linux installs I've had), a zillion drives (2 SSDs, 3 HDDs, an external USB HDD, a BD-RE drive, and an LS-120 floppy drive) and a bunch of weirdo hardware like an IDE interface card to drive the aforementioned floppy drive, and I also expect to play games on it, mod games on it, and have it play nice with my Windows 11 install on the other SSD. So it might be a challenge but I guess if I didn't want a challenge I'd just install Kubuntu.

Satire Forum Mom posted:

What did you do? Just curious because I don't know how simply installing snap-pac-grub (which is all you need to do for automatic snapshot creation and GRUB menu updates whenever pacman runs) from the AUR could lead to an unbootable system.

Probably didn't set up my subvolumes properly, I partitioned my drives as if it were an ext4 system.

E: How much work would it be to replace KWin/Aurorae with another WM while keeping the rest of KDE Plasma? I am very unhappy with the way legacy-style window decorations where the titlebar has a defined lower border get rendered incorrectly at high DPI, as I'm using a NeXTSTEP style theme.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 4, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Thanks to Windows/iTunes quirks, some of the mp3 files I moved to my Linux machine have a 1 at the end of them. For example:
Name of song 1.mp3

Is there an awk one-liner of some kind I could use to get rid of these?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Thanks to Windows/iTunes quirks, some of the mp3 files I moved to my Linux machine have a 1 at the end of them. For example:
Name of song 1.mp3

Is there an awk one-liner of some kind I could use to get rid of these?

no need, for something so easy

rename -vn ' 1.mp3' '.mp3' *.mp3

-vn is the dry run check, delete that to run

this is the linux-util rename, apparently it's possible to have other things called rename that are different?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

code:
for i in *1.mp3; do
  mv $I `echo $i | sed ‘s/ 1\.mp3/.mp3/‘`
done
Stick an `echo` in front of the `mv` the first time you run it to make sure I didn’t gently caress it up typing on my phone (also smart quotes are probably going to hurt)

E: ^^^ oh sure, in the last 20 years they’ve written a whole command for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cool; thanks. I love how relatively easy Linux makes this process. It'd be a pain in Windows.