Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I remember the rumors that GM were going to reboot the Monte Carlo as a FT-86 fighter and we were robbed of that future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Twerk from Home posted:

Edit: it's also insanely frustrating that Toyota and the Koreans don't do dealer orders at all, my understanding is that the dealer gets what they get, and then has to sell it. That sucks. I've done two Ford orders and both have been an excellent experience.

Me: still waiting in line for the GR Corolla and hoping the one that finally comes in actually has all the extras

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Full Collapse posted:

I remember the rumors that GM were going to reboot the Monte Carlo as a FT-86 fighter and we were robbed of that future.

They saved us from the disappointment

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Monte Carlo was never a real sports car and why would gm have 3 rwd coupes? Fake news :chaostrump:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Full Collapse posted:

Monte Carlo would have been an exceedingly stupid choice for an 86 fighter. Vega? Monza? Nova even? Come on.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Whatever "renders" came along with this rumor had the three-box design or w/e that the 80's G-Bodies had.

So, Monte Carlo because of the 80's G-Body aesthetic in the renders.

The Internet is dumb.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Probably wishful thinking around the 130r concept

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I remember when that and the IDX concept came out and the future looked so bright. And then here we are instead.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I was stranded at a Toyata dealershipfor a bit this week, so I got to be baffled by the Crown Crossover in the showroom. Smaller, thirstier, but not noticeable more luxurious than a Camry Hybrid, but much more expensive. Is the markup worth it for AWD and a slight lift? Unless the long-wheelbase sedan is coming to the US, it's even more weird as an Avalon replacement.

There's no way the Estate is getting sold here.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Failson posted:

I was stranded at a Toyata dealershipfor a bit this week, so I got to be baffled by the Crown Crossover in the showroom. Smaller, thirstier, but not noticeable more luxurious than a Camry Hybrid, but much more expensive. Is the markup worth it for AWD and a slight lift? Unless the long-wheelbase sedan is coming to the US, it's even more weird as an Avalon replacement.

There's no way the Estate is getting sold here.

They phoned it in. They wanted to replace the Avalon with an SUV but realized their core demographic is old people who wanted a big sedan, so you got the crown. And it’s not even the real crown, that one is Japan only and the car I would have actually wanted.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Subaru’s April Fools joke was that they were going to release a money printing machine.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mr. Apollo posted:

Subaru’s April Fools joke was that they were going to release a money printing machine.

That’s just a Hyundai Santa Cruz and nobody buys those.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I don't think it'd be a money printing machine at all, but at least Subaru has the clout with the outdoorsy people who would buy one of these. I think they'd definitely sell more than Hyundai does anyways.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

quote:

With Subaru projecting to sell 24,000 per year, 30,000 were marketed over four and a half years.

Yeah, a real ATM that thing.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Yeah, a real ATM that thing.

This was 2003-2006.
poo poo is loving weird now. I have a feeling it would do a lot better now.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d buy a new Baja. I’d also be one of two people in the US that would buy a two door long box Baja Ute.

We’re very far from the average buyer though. If it has 4wd or AWD, I am absolutely gonna take it out to deer camp where l need high clearance, or out camping in deep snow, then come back to the city during the week and drive in stop and go traffic.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
It’s me, I’m the other person with all the gross stuff I end up hauling around.

The Toyota bB Ford Maverick is very close to my ideal vehicle.

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 2, 2023

Walka Blocka Shame
Apr 30, 2006

This is fine
Doctor Rope

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’d buy a new Baja. I’d also be one of two people in the US that would buy a two door long box Baja Ute.

We’re very far from the average buyer though. If it has 4wd or AWD, I am absolutely gonna take it out to deer camp where l need high clearance, or out camping in deep snow, then come back to the city during the week and drive in stop and go traffic.

I guess I’d be #3 then. Something like that would be 100% perfect for my needs of a smallish, fuel efficient daily commuter that can handle rough terrain and haul a bit of dirt/small loads.

Seriously considering ordering a Maverick whenever they are taking orders again, though that is a little bigger than would be ideal and is also a Ford.

Release a new Subaru Brat you cowards!

Walka Blocka Shame fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 2, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2023/04/01/ford-am-radio-commercial/70062845007/

Well, Ford is fully dropping AM radio. I'm wondering how bad the EV interference can be that it's not even worth including the hardware, which must be less than a buck.

The Euro brands doing this didn't surprise me because AM is fully dead in Europe, Tesla doing it seemed on brand because they're missing dozens of features every other manufacturer takes for granted, but Ford dropping AM radio did surprise me.

I don't use it regularly and associate it mostly with safety announcements. I just figured it must be so cheap there's no cost to optimize.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

quote:

"Technology has advanced. The idea that it is a critical safety channel is a bit suspect given that almost all critical communication now is sent through mobile phones."

Which is fine, right up until a natural disaster wipes out the power and data lines feeding the mobile network. Oh well, not like natural disasters are happening at an increasing rate or anything...

quote:

"With its unique ability to reach a wide geographic area, AM broadcasting offers many Americans struggling with poor, or non-existent, cellular and broadband coverage a chance to stay connected," LeGeyt wrote. "The car is often the only source of power and news for many in times of emergency."

With the cyclone and record breaking flooding we just had, while there was some criticism of the official communications, with fully commercial radio stations not really providing much information, and even the state-owned station dropping the ball somewhat, Civil Defence disaster preparedness info still suggests keeping a battery powered radio in your emergency kit and the hardest hit areas were some very remote places with widespread damage to the road network, meaning radio was the only way of getting info given how badly damaged the modern communications networks were.

Should authorities be looking ahead and looking at better more reliable tools? Yes, but the ability to pump AM signals over a wide area is hard to beat, even in a tiny place like NZ, let alone a much larger place like the US.

Edit: Also especially dumb given how Ford shills how useful the Lightning is when your home loses power in an emergency!

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I use AM radio for traffic reports, I would not buy a vehicle without it. There is an AM news station in Toronto that does reports every 10 minutes all day, whenever I get into a slowdown on the highway I’ll flip back to it to find out what’s going on.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You know you can just use Waze or even Google maps for that

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Fornax Disaster posted:

I use AM radio for traffic reports, I would not buy a vehicle without it. There is an AM news station in Toronto that does reports every 10 minutes all day, whenever I get into a slowdown on the highway I’ll flip back to it to find out what’s going on.

The fact that you exist is very funny to me

E: yes I use google maps and Waze to figure out traffic, and a radio report has never me given me better info than opening those apps for 5 seconds.

I am going to choose not to take the AM radio industry man at his word when he says for “many” people the radio in their car is “often” their only source for info during emergencies. Gonna need a citation on that. Yes, obviously those people exist, but the world is allowed to move on.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 3, 2023

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

Using a cell phone while driving is a 600$ fine and three demerit points here.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Fornax Disaster posted:

And afaik places like Germany don't even allow you to touch your phone while moving.
It is a much better place than the USA when it comes to driving :colbert:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Inner Light posted:

I am going to choose not to take the AM radio industry man at his word when he says for “many” people the radio in their car is “often” their only source for info during emergencies. Gonna need a citation on that. Yes, obviously those people exist, but the world is allowed to move on.

Yeah, the AM radio demographic is old and conservative, who I thought would be important buyers for Ford. AM radio regular usage may be dying, but I just don't understand what costs they're saving by dropping it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fornax Disaster posted:

Here too, the trick is to not use it when driving

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I like the laws where it's illegal for teens to text but geriatrics are allowed to candy crush all over the road

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

What I’m getting at is that I want regular reports I can hear, not have to look at, and I want to be able to access them with one or two buttons. I currently can do that with AM radio.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

This is lost tech these days

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

You can buy battery powered (or even hand cranked!) AM radio for like 15 bucks. Your car shouldn’t be your primary source of information during a disaster. It runs on gas that you very likely won’t be able to get and a battery that is not easily recharged.

Also, while I respect your right to set your own criteria for car buying, lol at the guy who won’t consider a car without an AM radio for traffic updates.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

AM is the only way I can listen to baseball in the car. Stupid MLB Blackout rules on their app thing prevent me from listening to my team.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Mustache Ride posted:

AM is the only way I can listen to baseball in the car. Stupid MLB Blackout rules on their app thing prevent me from listening to my team.

Local blackouts should only apply to the TV broadcast. I listen to my local team radio stream through the MLB app all the time. It is $20 a year for the subscription to allow audio broadcast for all teams, but I happily pay that every year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mustache Ride posted:

Sirus has them all, but I guess that is another problem

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Fornax Disaster posted:

I think 570 in Kitchener does it too.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You can buy battery powered (or even hand cranked!) AM radio for like 15 bucks. Your car shouldn’t be your primary source of information during a disaster.

Sure but not all disasters happen while everyone is at home, with a generator, or back up solar system or whatever.

And sometimes I want to know what the traffic is going to be like on my way back from a job site, and my work truck ain't got none of them fancy blue teeths that updates your wifi routers to google maps and downloads the HDMIs instantly or whatever the gently caress.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Bandire posted:

Local blackouts should only apply to the TV broadcast. I listen to my local team radio stream through the MLB app all the time. It is $20 a year for the subscription to allow audio broadcast for all teams, but I happily pay that every year.

Okay, fine. AM is the only way I can listen to baseball in the car For Free. At Bat is $30/year and TuneIn (which streams AM790 online) is $10/month. Why would I pay money when I can turn on the radio?

I haven't even priced Sirius, but it took me 3 years to cancel my account last time I had one and I'm not doing that again.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Sure but not all disasters happen while everyone is at home, with a generator, or back up solar system or whatever.

You don’t need a generator or backup solar system to run a portable am radio. They run on batteries. Or a hand crank. And you can take them with you anywhere. If you are legitimately concerned about disaster preparedness you should have a few in places you’re likely to be instead of assuming you’ll be near your car and it will have gas and the battery won’t be dead and so on.

Listening to baseball or traffic is another thing entirely, but the idea that we need CARS WITH AM RADIOS to be prepared for disaster is silly.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Relying on your car for AM radio updates is silly but keeping a windup radio onhand is preparedness.

OK.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the deal with LIDAR causing damage to cellphone cameras? I saw a video of it and it seems pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Mcqueen posted:

Relying on your car for AM radio updates is silly but keeping a windup radio onhand is preparedness.

OK.

I don’t give a poo poo about either of these things but if you’re the sort of person that claims to be very worried about disaster preparedness but only if you’re at or near your car and it has working electrical power then I’m skeptical about how sincere the concern is.