Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CubeTheory posted:

I'm playing a Warpath crit build and I just dropped this and my eyes shot out of my sockets like a cartoon wolf seeing a pretty lady

Holy moly is that a chest... very nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Noper Q posted:

That's a very nice chest. Lots of forging potential left, too, so you can seal one of the affixes and put another on. Or just save it for a good legendary.

It has lots of forging potential, because I haven't forged on it at all lol

I don't have a despair right now, I'll try and seal as soon as one drops

Orv
May 4, 2011
I can't seem to find the right way to google this to get an answer so; if a skill node casts another skill, like Pyroclasm in Surge casting Flame Reave, does it benefit from the full skill tree unless otherwise noted or?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yes.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Orv posted:

I can't seem to find the right way to google this to get an answer so; if a skill node casts another skill, like Pyroclasm in Surge casting Flame Reave, does it benefit from the full skill tree unless otherwise noted or?

Yes, with the only real exception being a few minion skills, such as summon skelly mage's sacrifice nodes. Since the skeleton is casting the spell, it doesn't benefit from the Sacrifice skill tree.

In contrast, the summon zombie skill can proc Sacrifice and it does inherit the skill tree because it calls out that you're casting it, not the (exploding) zombie.

The only other thing to watch out for are skill nodes that call out "direct" casts or uses, as those nodes won't apply on automatic uses from other sources.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Cool, thank you both.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This game has been fun to level guys in, but the end-game became a snooze fest for me really quickly. I don't feel like I'm progressing towards major milestones with gear or content.

This game has legs for sure though. There are so many QOL improvements it has over POE, and the base game is solid.
They just need more time to really flesh out an aspirational endgame.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I am curious what you want out of an end game. The main ARPG's I've played are Diablo 2 and 3. I think 2's is awful and D3's is alright. Last Epoch's seems fine to me so far. There's specific stuff to grind but not a strict level's go up thing like with D3.

What kind of set up are you looking for in an ideal endgame?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/899770/view/6659175566886453443?l=english

EHG posted:

Fixed a bug introduced in Beta 0.9g which caused save data loss in Offline. If you returned to Login/Character Select by using the Leave Game button and then loaded any offline character, any updates to that character or the stash would not be saved.

woof

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

bamhand posted:

I am curious what you want out of an end game. The main ARPG's I've played are Diablo 2 and 3. I think 2's is awful and D3's is alright. Last Epoch's seems fine to me so far. There's specific stuff to grind but not a strict level's go up thing like with D3.

See path of exile, it has like 50 different endgame strategies, from various flavors of boss rushing to different content to optimize to going for max speed and just blasting maps (rifts/monoliths/whatever). Expecting LE to have that amount of content is unreasonable given the difference in development time, but there's a LOT of design space left for them to develop into

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bamhand posted:

Not blasting 1 minute maps. Another poster below summed it up, and I am aware it's going to take them time to get there. I have faith in them, but I realize it may be years down the road before they deliver what I am looking for.
I want an endgame where I can manipulate the playstyle and the economy. I want an endgame where I am saving up to finally get a chase item that allows me to start changing my build to do content I couldn't before.

This game is very clean and well made, but it's lacking for the time-being.
Diablo 2 doesn't have an endgame and Diablo 3s endgame is pretty poo poo to be honest.

Comparing other ARPGs to POE is kind of unfair, but that's capitalism.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 31, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I picked it up recently. I got to Chapter 9 and I'm really enjoying it so far. It has a lot of things that I loved about Diablo 3 in it that most other games in the genre don't have.

I do wonder though. Do you ever unlock some alternative game mode or higher difficulty for the main story or anything like that?
I want to try a different class but the campaign is fairly slow and very very easy.
It's fine on the first playthrough but for making new character's I'd really prefer something faster/more difficult.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

I picked it up recently. I got to Chapter 9 and I'm really enjoying it so far. It has a lot of things that I loved about Diablo 3 in it that most other games in the genre don't have.

I do wonder though. Do you ever unlock some alternative game mode or higher difficulty for the main story or anything like that?
I want to try a different class but the campaign is fairly slow and very very easy.
It's fine on the first playthrough but for making new character's I'd really prefer something faster/more difficult.

Unfortunately no. You can start monoliths pretty early but then you miss out on some idol slots and passive points. I believe it's after defeating Lagon that you can ignore the rest of the story. Pushing corruption/monolith modifiers is the only difficulty modification in the game that I'm aware of.

Edit - I take that back - there are the dungeons, especially Arena, for ramping up challenge.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Unfortunate.
I liked how Diablo 3 allowed me to just never play the campaign after the first run with the Adventure Mode.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jack Trades posted:

Unfortunate.
I liked how Diablo 3 allowed me to just never play the campaign after the first run with the Adventure Mode.

Something like this is planned (probably low level scaled monos) its just not in yet

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Something like this is planned (probably low level scaled monos) its just not in yet

Cool, cool.

Is the game version being 0.9 is completely arbitrary or does it refer to the game being almost completely finished?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Cool, cool.

Is the game version being 0.9 is completely arbitrary or does it refer to the game being almost completely finished?

There are 3 more Acts for the campaign, and 2 or maybe 3 more Subclasses to be added. I believe both will be coming with v1.0. There was a really long gap between 0.8.5 --> 0.9 because they were focused on multiplayer and a bunch of technical, under-the-hood optimizations but they've said now that MP is here it shouldn't be as long for 1.0

During the MP launch the founder of the studio was in Global Chat answering questions and stuff, which is where I got that info from, not sure if there's like an official roadmap anywhere.

e; scrolled through the updates on Steam, yea 0.8.5 came out March 2022. So it was almost a year between that and MP officially getting added.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 31, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Good to know.

I'm mostly asking because I had some EA games in my library recently go
0.8 -> 0.9 -> "oh boy, it's almost finished" -> 0.10 -> :negative:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
AFAIK the plan is to go 0.9 -> 1.0 but not in a single patch. So there'll be 0.9.1 and such, but it won't just go 0.10, 0.11, 0.12 forever and no 1.0

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the wait has been brutal for those of us who saw the runemaster and warlock spec names back in 2017 or so and thought "wow those sound like neat archetypes!"

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

CubeTheory posted:

No T7 or double T6, but I'm still happy with my first endgame weapon craft:

Baller craft.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
To the devs credit my old 1070 compy used to run this game at medium and now I'm able to play on ultra settings at 1080p, which was not something I expected. I was just messing with the settings.

To the devs fault when I had it set to high, foilage was popping in very very oddly, like bits of grass or coral would pop in right in the center of the screen, which is not a good look. Actually performs much better at ultra settings.

Edit: Also my arachnophobic rear end doesn't like that enemies that pop in or drop form the ceiling actually appear for a split second on screen sometimes before dropping down, which didn't happen prior to the multiplayer update.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Since I started playing this Primalist I've wondered why I occasionally get a wolf that's super mega aggro. Like running across half the map when everyone else is just chillin' with me. Today I got one of those wolves and happened to notice it had a name, not just "Primal Wolf" or whatever - Fenton. Which I have to believe is the most deep cut reference ever to this video which I haven't thought of in like a decade. What a weird thing to exist.

Anno fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 1, 2023

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
That's amazing.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anno posted:

Since I started playing this Primalist I've wondered why I occasionally get a wolf that's super mega aggro. Like running across half the map when everyone else is just chillin' with me. Today I got one of those wolves and happened to notice it had a name, not just "Primal Wolf" or whatever - Fenton. Which I have to believe is the most deep cut reference ever to this video which I haven't thought of in like a decade. What a weird thing to exist.

this is peak game development

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got this game recently, what are fun classes/subclasses?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I am playing a Sentinel -> Void Knight who spins2win. Probably not the strongest class but I’ve enjoyed it

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran
I just picked it up too and I'm playing a Necro with exploding zombies and it feels a lot like SRS in Path of Exile.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Delpino posted:

I just picked it up too and I'm playing a Necro with exploding zombies and it feels a lot like SRS in Path of Exile.

You think that feels like SRS, try the Lich build that uses Hungering Souls converted with Curse of Perseverance to build giant ignite stacks.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Clockwerk posted:

I am playing a Sentinel -> Void Knight who spins2win. Probably not the strongest class but I’ve enjoyed it

Void Knight when specced right is obscenely strong.

But to answer the question, almost every class feels great. Only one I cannot get into for the life of me is the Rogue.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Bladedancer just teleports around and explodes with knives.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

MonsieurChoc posted:

I started playing a couple days ago and made a necro who’s only goal is maximizing summons and that rules

I even have boots that summon little vines and I don’t know what the vines do but I can summon like 12 of them by running around so on the build they go

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Primalist Druid Swipe Werebear owns. Run around like the incredible hulk with cyclones around you at all times while ground pounding groups of mobs to death. It rules.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I rolled a Spellblade for this patch with the obvious Firebrand into Flame Reave interaction (build up scaling buffs with Firebrand into a big boom with Flame Reave), except then I decided on a that-sounds-cool whim to convert everything to Lightning with the skill tree options and lean into triggered spark charges/lightning blasts, and the entirely non-optimal but Fun As Hell Harbinger of Stars unique belt (new this patch) that has a chance of triggering Meteor on crits.

The meteors murder my mana but Fragment of the Enigma gives Firebrand and its spark charges/explosions enough of a punch to kill most packs before I need anything that actually costs mana anyway, being constantly surrounded by explosions owns, and between my ward generation/gear/passives and 100% crit avoidance I've been able to facetank some utterly surprising things, though I haven't gotten to empowered monoliths yet. (Emperor of Corpses was way easier once I realized that the only mechanic I actually had to worry about was the poison pools, everything else barely tickled).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 2, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Just got my first character to monoliths. The campaign was fun - a bit...unevenly presented, for sure, but I thought it was well paced and particularly towards the end had a bit of interesting story stuff.

I'm playing a minion primalist with wolves and a bear. Both feel very good - the other options (raptor, scorpion and cat) don't, sadly. I hope those continue to get some work, or maybe just replace one of them with something else. idk how strong this build really is (probably not very) but I like fighting alongside my pets and so far that's been very doable. Excited to see where it goes now that I can start "mapping" and working towards some gear goals.

Overall I'd say game is good - a very solid foundation that's already fun and a million places where you can see them expanding in the future.

Only real complaints are some of the presentation stuff and loading times.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

W-why can I pull skills into my skill bar when playing an offline character but not when playing an online character...?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Who do you all think is the strongest class in terms of not blowing up in Empowered Monoliths with minimal gear? My Void Knight is my highest damage character so far, but I lost motivation to play him once I hit emp monos and started getting pasted in melee. I need to rebuild him to survive in there better but I'm wondering if any class can just say gently caress it and get to scrappin no matter how unoptimized their gear is.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I think I'm gonna try Rogue but at this point I got 3 starting characters while I'm trying to decide which to play lol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rogue with AoE spinning daggers is really good and strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm gonna try going Shadow cause that looks fun, but it seems like there's easy respecs.