Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Zaphiel posted:

Yeah, I played it for a while, great stuff. I do wish they had made some symbols unlockable because I dropped off after unlocking the 5th (?) level, since it starts to get a little samey after a while.

But when you get a good combo going and those coins just roll in, it's a great dopamine hit.
I'm a bit deeper, have beaten ascension 20 maybe fifteen times at this point. Pearl, flower, and cherry still feel loving useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead deserves a mention in addition to all the other ones mentioned.

Ugh...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

fit em all up in there posted:

Great new HB

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/...vorslike_bundle

Rogue Genesia
Boneraiser Minions
Nomad Survival
Bounty of One
Just King
Scarlet Tower
Neon Sundown
Repetendium
[
$8

Multiple of these (Boneraiser, Genesia, Scarlet Tower) are probably the top tier of VS-likes out there right now. What a steal, god drat.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Pirate Captain posted:

Does Dredge play well with a controller?

No idea, I'm playing on M+KB, but I can give a controller a test. It's Deck verified, I think, so I'd imagine it would?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

The Pirate Captain posted:

Does Dredge play well with a controller?

Yes, works great. Dpad has shortcuts and stuff. Everything is remappable as well.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

No Wave posted:

I'm a bit deeper, have beaten ascension 20 maybe fifteen times at this point. Pearl, flower, and cherry still feel loving useless.

Flower can be pretty good if you get rain, bee, and sun because they're all multiplicitave buffs. Sun+Bee+Bee+Rain on one flower is rare but gives you 45 coins on just the flower. It's not a gamewinner on its own but it's not bad.
Cherry and pearl are basically only good for feeding Ms. Fruit/Diver imo, and if you don't have a diver Oyster is in the running for the worst symbol for the game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Flower can be pretty good if you get rain, bee, and sun because they're all multiplicitave buffs. Sun+Bee+Bee+Rain on one flower is rare but gives you 45 coins on just the flower. It's not a gamewinner on its own but it's not bad.
Cherry and pearl are basically only good for feeding Ms. Fruit/Diver imo, and if you don't have a diver Oyster is in the running for the worst symbol for the game.
I'll give bee a try some time. I've come around on a lot of symbols, most recently monkey and mouse, and I always like having more symbols I can feel good about picking in the early game.

Out of all the symbols I think general zaroff is the most fun but the flavor of it is kinda sad. Mixed feelings.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 31, 2023

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Huh

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1641880104912683015?t=s7BIT0D_AXuoBDib6J9CSA&s=19

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I can't believe sonic is fuckin dead

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I killed him.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
It's always extra tragic when the victim was pregnant.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The trailer is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC8sIhr-z5I

I always appreciate when someone actually puts something out for April Fools, and not just writes some funny patch notes or something.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

when were you when sonic...

was kill?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TeaJay posted:

After a few hours with the DREDGE, I can already say I'm having a lot of fun. It has a great, foreboding atmosphere and the fishing / upgrading your ship and gear is fun. There's a very sinister feel of everything not being exactly as the townspeople are describing it to be but I have no idea where this is gonna go.

And when you are sailing around at night time, put those lights on.

Yeah, Dredge hits a really nice balance in doling out its weirdness at just the right pace. They could have hosed it up by having a guy just immediately mugging at the camera like "oh I am an obvious cultist planning to sacrifice you to the dark gods", but (at least so far) it's quite a bit more understated. Most everyone has arranged themselves with the spooky state of things and is just going through business as usual. The gameplay itself also helps instill a nice sense of normalcy, as you're spending a fair amount of time just catching fish or dredging for parts without much unusual happening. Which makes it all the more impactful when you do happen to pull out a fish that is like 90% eyes.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 31, 2023

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Even death can't stop him, as evidenced by Sonic 2016.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Assassination of Sanic By The Coward Miles Prower.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

No Wave posted:

I'll give bee a try some time. I've come around on a lot of symbols, most recently monkey and mouse, and I always like having more symbols I can feel good about picking in the early game.

Out of all the symbols I think general zaroff is the most fun but the flavor of it is kinda sad. Mixed feelings.

I don't think I've ever picked Zaroff myself. Nobody gets to shoot my symbols but me! :argh:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Mescal posted:

what's the canon of trad rogue likes? the ones that are ancient and presumably still in development via forks at least and usually free

i got a couple semi-traditional dungeon crawlers but i kinda feel like i need a primer of sorts

rogue itself has a paid cheap port on steam which is probably best since im on steam deck

There's a roguelike thread on SA that lists the key ones. I'm not a huge roguelike person but the ones I've played that I've enjoyed are:

Caves of Qud
Goon made by unormal and ptychomancer, it has it's own thread. It has been in early access for over a decade at this point, and is finally almost ready for full release tentatively scheduled for later this year.

It's gorgeous. I know this is an odd description for a roguelike, but the Unity-based sprite tileset oozes charm. It has an evocative, soulful soundtrack for your exploration. It has the best drat item descriptions you'll ever read. It has a post-post-apocalyptic setting that mixes bits of Gamma World, Morrowind, and Jewish mysticism.

It has a robust character system with levels, attributes, skills, mutations, cybernetic implants, and a vast array of gear with unique active and passive abilities. You can make some really clever builds and feel really cool doing it.

Take your character and start scavenging gear and crafting parts from dungeons. Trade for water and jewels. Make friends and share water with them to learn secrets and skills. Meet legendary characters and gods. Lose limbs and grow new ones. Cut off someones face and wear it for a bonus. Meet a variety of funny and fantastic characters. Make deals with ancient demon AIs. Figure out exactly what the hell happened to this world, and what the sultans actually were doing. Travel deep underground, get lost, and get eaten by a salt kraken.

It's not afraid to kill you, but it's not sadistic about it either. The main quest line dungeons are built with thought and all serve as tests of your character's advancement. Surviving each main dungeon shows that you've made a qualitative improvement in your character's ability and your player knowledge of how to handle situations.

It has some nice quality of life features including optional permadeath, optional respawn at your last campfire site, and a bunch of different ways to arrange the layout of the screen.

It has a good, not poo poo community in the thread and on discord. Its developers and mods are nice non-shithead people.

It is easy to mod and has Steam Workshop integration. I've made some mods for it, mostly cheaty tweaks. Go get them.

Elona (Plus (Custom (GX)))

Whew. Okay so Elona (Eternal Leagues of Nefia) was a Japanese roguelike built by one guy on this weird branch of BASIC called Hot Soup Processor (HSP). HSP is open source and simple to understand, so it became very easy to mod. The most popular mod for Elona became Elona+, a large expansion to the storyline. Elona+Custom translated (most) of Elona+ into English along with making various gameplay tweaks. And now Elona+CustomGX is now the most modern, most functioning, and most fun-tweaked version of Elona for English audiences. So just get ElonaPlusCustomGX if you're starting Elona.

I think of Elona as an "open world" roguelike. It has a large overworld with multiple dungeons to visit and a very loose (and hard to understand in English) main plot that you can pursue at your own pace.

In between dungeons, buy a house and fill it with furniture, run a store, harvest crops for farmers, run a ranch, raise a bewildering array of pets to fight with you, perform at the tavern, enchant your gear, offer prayer and sacrifice to gods to get their blessings, run a museum and display your old gear, or buy and manage your own dungeons.

Elona is a little bit more of a make your own fun sort of game. There's lots of room for gamebreaking stats and combinations, particularly with pets, but it takes a certain amount of system mastery and grinding to get there.

UnReal World

UnReal World is the oldest continually developed game in existence. That's not hyperbole; that's its actual record. It's made by Finnish devs that spend a large part of the year doing survival and role play in the Finnish wilderness. Unsurprisingly, it's a game about surviving in Iron Age Finland.

This is the original survival crafter, years before the genre became popular. Gather berries, build a variety of realistic traps (loop snares, deadfall, pit traps, fox board traps, etc), track prey through the forest, hunt a variety of animals with bow and spear, go fishing, set fish nets, sow crops for the fall harvest, head to the village to trade, make friends and invite them on adventurers, tend sheep and cows, avoid (or fight!) foreign Njerpez raiders.

You start in the spring, and you better find a place to start a log cabin before winter comes. Cut logs, fashion floors, ceilings, and walls. Build a bed and cover it with furs. Build a fireplace and sauna to heat the room. You'll probably struggle to build more than the most rudimentary shelter before your first winter, but don't worry. This is a slow, deliberately paced game that is about mostly realistic survival.

UnReal World is much less fantastic than the others. There are some rituals and sacrifices you can perform, but magic is left deliberately vague and subtle. It is remarkable to me that after decades of development, to my knowledge no one exactly knows what it does. Everyone knows to leave a small sacrifice after a catch, or to invoke a blessing before a hunt, or to bless their javelins to throw true. But are you doing it because it's creating a tangible bonus, or are you also buying into the superstition? I honestly love that I'm not quite sure.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Don't sign ur posts

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Oh man, UnReal World, I got a lifetime license back when that was a thing about 18 years ago, I was obsessed with it. Really great developers who answered my stupid questions personally and got me a steam key when it finally got on steam. It's not the most user-friendly game but if you look past that it's amazing. Basically a nature-focused roguelike/survival game with base/house building, if that's your fancy, or just hardcore surviving in the wild. Pretty merciless.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My favorite thing about UnReal World is the Mysticism. I still don't know if most my rituals and prayers are actually having a real effect... and I like it that way. :allears:T BH even if someone told me they were completely nonfunctional I'd do them anyways. :v: Don't spoil it for me though.

Wow, I haven't touched URW in years according to steam, maybe I should give it another play once they're got the village blacksmith stuff going. Not having to wander half the land in search of specialty axes will be a huge gamechanger.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Hedgehog is dead?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chasing that sweet Pentiment clout :hai:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mescal posted:

what's the canon of trad rogue likes? the ones that are ancient and presumably still in development via forks at least and usually free

https://nethack.org/
https://crawl.develz.org/
https://rephial.org/
https://github.com/tmewett/BrogueCE
https://github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q
https://drl.chaosforge.org/
https://cataclysmdda.org/

This covers most of of the ones that are still relatively popular. ADOM, Unreal World, Tales of Maj'Eyal, and Dwarf Fortress are probably best purchased on Steam rather than downloading the free version from the project's website. Caves of Qud, Cogmind, Tangledeep, Dungeonmans, Jupiter Hell, and Golden Crone Hotel might be worth a look too, several of these were made by goons.

All of these are either traditional roguelikes or have high appeal to people that like them.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I'd also recommend Shiren the Wanderer for the japanese side of traditional roguelikes - the newest one is on steam and is probably the best starting point. Very oldschool design (no skill trees or character customization, linear dungeons with no backtracking), but with a huge number of items and enemies and very thoughtful and tightly balanced design.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cantorsdust posted:

Elona (Plus (Custom (GX)))

Whew. Okay so Elona (Eternal Leagues of Nefia) was a Japanese roguelike built by one guy on this weird branch of BASIC called Hot Soup Processor (HSP). HSP is open source and simple to understand, so it became very easy to mod. The most popular mod for Elona became Elona+, a large expansion to the storyline. Elona+Custom translated (most) of Elona+ into English along with making various gameplay tweaks. And now Elona+CustomGX is now the most modern, most functioning, and most fun-tweaked version of Elona for English audiences. So just get ElonaPlusCustomGX if you're starting Elona.

I think of Elona as an "open world" roguelike. It has a large overworld with multiple dungeons to visit and a very loose (and hard to understand in English) main plot that you can pursue at your own pace.

In between dungeons, buy a house and fill it with furniture, run a store, harvest crops for farmers, run a ranch, raise a bewildering array of pets to fight with you, perform at the tavern, enchant your gear, offer prayer and sacrifice to gods to get their blessings, run a museum and display your old gear, or buy and manage your own dungeons.

Elona is a little bit more of a make your own fun sort of game. There's lots of room for gamebreaking stats and combinations, particularly with pets, but it takes a certain amount of system mastery and grinding to get there.
The superior custom stuff has not been updated for a few versions and I am still waiting on this new one. The last update was a couple versions back. If you don't use CGX, you get a tiny viewing screen with massive tiles, compared to using your monitor resolution and seeing entire maps on the screen without scrolling.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tangledeep is my favorite traditional ish roguelike on steam. It's so good. Plays great on switch or deck too

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

thanks for the two cents. unreal world is actually a game that i sank some time into back when. i liked that i found the UI comprehensible, despite being drunk. i probably wouldn't play it again, but i'd play something similar.

ADOM and dungeons of dredmor are the two i got in the sale. they both have some display problems (steam deck) and settings menus basic enough to not solve said problems.

and then i need like a... custom controller profile curator or something to help me. there's no way to tell which ones were done thoughtfully by people who've spent a lot of time using them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Tangledeep is my favorite traditional ish roguelike on steam. It's so good. Plays great on switch or deck too

Thanks for this. I’m not sure why I don’t already own it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Dungeonmans is worth a look too. And there's always ToME if you want something huge that'll take a million years to learn and figure out.

Cogmind is less traditional in its way but you get to be a robot and bolt bits onto yourself.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15790/The_Traditional_Roguelikes_Bundle/

what savings lol

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

Dungeonmans is worth a look too. And there's always ToME if you want something huge that'll take a million years to learn and figure out.

Cogmind is less traditional in its way but you get to be a robot and bolt bits onto yourself.

Dungeonmans is very good. The composer said he got a lot of influence from Final Fantasy Tactics, so the OST slaps as well.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fun coincidence to see TOME being discussed, I just reinstalled it yesterday. This game has so many goofy rear end class combinations.

I made cthulhu Shrek, he rollerskates around dungeons on his worm feet and hits stuff with a big weapon while his tentacle arm flails around. Now I'm gonna put points into his worm infested skeleton buddy so he has a friend :3:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead deserves a mention in addition to all the other ones mentioned.
Conveniently, it just had a Steam release, though as the top reviews note: it's mostly as a form of supporting KorGgenT and to proactively prevent anyone unrelated to the main developers from uploading a version to the store. There's achievements and cloud saves added for the Steam version but that's it, the game is simply the latest stable release, and they're not going to stop developing the free version.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Fun coincidence to see TOME being discussed, I just reinstalled it yesterday. This game has so many goofy rear end class combinations.

I made cthulhu Shrek, he rollerskates around dungeons on his worm feet and hits stuff with a big weapon while his tentacle arm flails around. Now I'm gonna put points into his worm infested skeleton buddy so he has a friend :3:

:3: friends!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Terra Nil seems overpriced for the gimmick game it was in the demo. Is the full game any better?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

FrickenMoron posted:

Terra Nil seems overpriced for the gimmick game it was in the demo. Is the full game any better?

FWIW it's available on phones/tablets if you have a Netflix subscription.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The dead Sonic game owns.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

The full game has 4 * 2 levels like the demo.
The game is good but I'd say somewhat overpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm going to keep harping on about TOME because I just discovered that its 4th expansion is going into beta soon after a lull of basic upkeep and patches during covid! The old thread is expired but anybody who is interested should read the class write-ups in the second post to get an idea of how you can become a time lord or the walking embodiment of plague: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604865

Lovecraft Shrek now has to decide if his face should become a writhing mass of tentacles that drives all who behold it insane OR if he should summon a legion of toothed horrors from beyond.