Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Do you not drive anywhere besides interstates
In town traffic is usually too congested to really speed that much in my experience. I mean a rando pedestrian might estimate that guy is going 50 but on your average 35 road you can barely do 30 because of all the people entering and leaving the road. But yeah I do a fuckload of interstate travel for work and none of the major could actually cause a fatal accident infractions I see are the kind that get enforced, literally the only enforcement is some cop sitting off the shoulder over a hill trying to catch people going marginally over the speed limit on the way down. They usually cause more issues even just by being there because suddenly there's a sea of brakes and weaving traffic to avoid being next to the shoulder where the cop is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

The actual fix is police cars - empty and parked next to the interstate about one every thirty miles

cops here already do that to milk overtime. They sit in speed traps 10 hours a day, empty, for weeks at a time so everyone ignores them.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

what about instead of more cops, more highspeed rail and city buses

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

There's a pretty clear dividing line here for traffic enforcement

https://www.psp.pa.gov/memorial-wall/Pages/Wall%20Bios/Corporal-Joseph-R-Pokorny-Jr.aspx

This dipshit got shot with his own gun in 2005. After he died, state police quit enforcing traffic laws on the interstates here. You can do 100 mph out to the airport if you want. No one gives a poo poo, no one will stop you. If you crash they'll come scrape your poo poo up, but no one will care until then.

The local cops took their cue from the state police and none of them will stop you for a single loving thing, until you cause a catastrophe.

I hate driving and I'm seriously considering quadrupling my mortgage just because I never want to do it again unless I want to.

Apr 7, 2003

PoundSand posted:

In town traffic is usually too congested to really speed that much in my experience.

lol

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

But honestly I'm mostly baffled by you thinking they'd ever enforce traffic in a good way. Never once in my life have I seen a cop pull someone over who was doing something obviously dangerous and stupid. They mostly either nab benign but easy to prove infractions or harass minorities. It strikes me as incredibly naive to believe they're just gonna float around doing the right thing.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The actual fix is to make driving itself as inconvenient as possible. That means making the roads smaller and narrower, making license tests much harder, enacting congestion charges, expanding public transit options, raising gas prices and taxing the living hell out of any vehicle larger and more powerful than a kei car. Good luck with any of that poo poo tho.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

the breaking bad pilot was different than what i remember

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

here in south florida 43% of drivers do not have a license and we have 15x the fatal accident rate of any other counties in the united states it rules

Griz
May 21, 2001

PoundSand posted:

But yeah I do a fuckload of interstate travel for work and none of the major could actually cause a fatal accident infractions I see are the kind that get enforced, literally the only enforcement is some cop sitting off the shoulder over a hill trying to catch people going marginally over the speed limit on the way down. They usually cause more issues even just by being there because suddenly there's a sea of brakes and weaving traffic to avoid being next to the shoulder where the cop is.

idk why everyone thinks they have to panic brake when they see a state trooper camping in the median, the ones in upstate NY absolutely don't give a gently caress unless you're going at least 20 over.

Apr 7, 2003

PoundSand posted:

But honestly I'm mostly baffled by you thinking they'd ever enforce traffic in a good way. Never once in my life have I seen a cop pull someone over who was doing something obviously dangerous and stupid. They mostly either nab benign but easy to prove infractions or harass minorities. It strikes me as incredibly naive to believe they're just gonna float around doing the right thing.

Apr 7, 2003

"Cops are bad so we should just let everyone do whatever the gently caress they want on the roads and freeways" is some galaxy brain moron poo poo

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Willa Rogers posted:

Bailouts weren't polled but I'm gonna guess yes.

I'm the 69% of people who think spending more than every other large nation combined on the military is either too little or about right

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
just a few more cops

all we need is a few more cops, then they'll start working

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Apr 1, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

just a few more cops

all we need is a few more cops, then they'll start working

"Cops are bad so we should just let everyone do whatever the gently caress they want on the roads and freeways" is some galaxy brain moron poo poo

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
or remove dependence on cars

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 05:33 on Apr 1, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

There is no right whatsoever under any interpretation of our laws to drive a car.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2AitTPI5U0

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Griz posted:

idk why everyone thinks they have to panic brake when they see a state trooper camping in the median, the ones in upstate NY absolutely don't give a gently caress unless you're going at least 20 over.

I agree with you that staters are mostly looking for big fish so to speak but I've been pulled over (and not given a ticket thankfully) when going by speed trap towns for as little as 3 over. There are literally interstates that got diverted specifically through/by towns because the county wouldn't give them land otherwise, it's a straightup shakedown when you're driving in flyover counties. Why PFC wants more of this is beyond me.

Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
We should ban cars

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

We should ban cars

But how will I get my mail?

Apr 7, 2003

PoundSand posted:

Why PFC wants more of this is beyond me.

I don't want to die because some guy figured he had a natural right to watch a Harry Potter movie on his tablet while driving. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I want pfc to die

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

If cops actually enforced traffic laws instead of enforcing poverty we would not be complaining.

Apr 7, 2003

a.lo posted:

I want pfc to die

I would prefer to die in a way that doesn't involve some guy watching movies in his car

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

cops should ticket bad drivers?

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

I would prefer to die in a way that doesn't involve some guy watching movies in his car

He's going to be watching the west wing

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I’m here for good opinions on driving from people from PA

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

goth smoking cloves posted:

He's going to be watching the west wing

thats a sad way to go even by my standards.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

they have to be good drivers to avoid some of the worst potholes ive ever seen.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

When I was coming back into town today some random contractor truck hadn't strapped their poo poo down and straight up dropped these big ol (hopefully empty) 55 gal drums into 70 mph traffic like some sort of donkey kong game. Straight up just rolling through the road as traffic weaved around it. I dodged one myself but didn't see any wrecks in the rearview mirror so I think everything worked out.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Once saw a full refrigerator fall off a truck onto i-95 and that was a bit scary

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Unless you ban cars you will have psychopaths on the road that need to be reigned in

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Enforcement based primarily on speed is useless and cops are too lazy and lovely to do anything else.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

PoundSand posted:

When I was coming back into town today some random contractor truck hadn't strapped their poo poo down and straight up dropped these big ol (hopefully empty) 55 gal drums into 70 mph traffic like some sort of donkey kong game. Straight up just rolling through the road as traffic weaved around it. I dodged one myself but didn't see any wrecks in the rearview mirror so I think everything worked out.

had something like that recently driving when someones mattress fell onto the middle of the highway but my stupid brain couldn't process it until it clicked at the last second that holy poo poo move over someones loving bed is in front of you!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Frosted Flake posted:

They could afford to. What’s the average price for a wedding now, $30k? We must have spent… lol a bit more than that.

Also I noticed a lot of Boomer parents are sullen and resentful and or miserly and won’t even pay for the bride’s dress, let alone a significant cost of the wedding.

It sounds petty, but contrary to the stereotype of immigrant parents being too involved, a lot of my friends had their hearts broken by their WASP parents just not participating at all. I wonder if that’s alienation or overreaction to being smothered by their parents and remembering their weddings not really being “about them”.

Honestly more likely WASP boomers just don't give a poo poo about their kids' weddings because it's not about them, specifically, the protagonist of reality

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Look the only way to deal with all these car, ticket and traffic issues is a radical solution. Really radical.

Replace all non-cargo personal transport vehicles with personal jetpacks. Yeah yeah I know, short range, death traps, yada yada. But it's a solution that genuinely solves the problem and anyone who isn't up to flying a jetpack only needs to make one mistake before they "volunatarily" don't fly one again.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly more likely WASP boomers just don't give a poo poo about their kids' weddings because it's not about them, specifically, the protagonist of reality

Also they realise that "marriage" is just a contract between you and the government, meaning practically nothing with regards to love, committment or relationship longevity.

You "marry" by default by cohabiting more or less.

Man this is a wonderful rabbit hole to go down. So much bitterness on so many fronts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

19 o'clock posted:

i'm not from PA and I only have bad opinions on driving but perhaps I can be of use to you