Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Lostconfused posted:

They say bleed air, but it's seems to be pretty clear that the F-35 is just not as good as it's was promised to be and in part it's because of the engine not being able to handle everything that the F-35 is expected to do.

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i always thought blowing hot air was a rare strong suit of the f35 program. shows what i know!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Funny how the vtol version has the least powerful engine

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The problem in a more immediate sense is that it is going to affect availability if the the engine can’t take the stress, and perhaps more importantly, it very likely will hamper any sort of intense combat duty.

It doesn’t seem like replacements are on a quick timeline either.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:32 on Apr 1, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm sorry you have this engine with space for a giant loving drive-shaft for the Marines lift fan garbage right in front of it and you can't run a generator off that to power your onboard systems

Like, you know, a modern passenger airliner

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm sorry you have this engine with space for a giant loving drive-shaft for the Marines lift fan garbage right in front of it and you can't run a generator off that to power your onboard systems

They do run generators for power, the problem is pulling cold air from the engine makes the engine run hotter

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Oldest Man posted:

I think you should reread the article. Adding more weight and more internal component heat isn’t the solution they are looking for.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Frosted Flake posted:

What can you even say at this point? They signed off on engine that was under spec, and I have to suspect that everyone involved knew that down the line Pratt and Whitney and Lockheed would benefit from entirely new engines being purchased and installed in the aircraft. I don't know what % of the cost of an aircraft the engine is, but for a warship propulsion can be like 50% of the cost or more, which is why total refits and modernizations are so rare.

These motherfuckers lol.

And we have to take this fucker about the arctic circle.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

500excf type r posted:

They do run generators for power, the problem is pulling cold air from the engine makes the engine run hotter

it's not pulling "cold" air from the engine it's pulling compressed air that's very hot but can be used to cool some components. it's also used to de-ice wings and stuff, cause it's hot

planes can pull cold air from the atmosphere but it's not done through the engine and idk if it's used on fighter jets. probably is actually to keep the cabin cool

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StratGoatCom posted:

And we have to take this fucker about the arctic circle.

Canada had a requirement for 2 engined interceptors based at home since the earliest days of jet aviation, even if that meant operating multiple types. Wings at home flew CF-100 Canucks and CF-101 Voodoos while wings in Germany had Sabres, Starfighters, and CF-5 Freedom Fighters, all the way though the acquisition of CF-18s.

The argument for the F-35 was that engines now are so reliable that the requirement was no longer needed. It turns out that the F-35 specifically has an underpowered and unreliable engine.

Add to that Canadair is dead now, so this does not help the domestic aviation industry, all of the money is leaving the country. Previous aircraft were all built under licence and the deal with the CF-18, which was an exception, was that the next one would be built here, just like the Sabres, Freedom Fighters and Starfighters were. Well, it turns out we got played, just like all of the European countries that bought the F-16 and had the same thing happen to their aviation industries.

This loving country.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

What can you even say at this point? They signed off on engine that was under spec, and I have to suspect that everyone involved knew that down the line Pratt and Whitney and Lockheed would benefit from entirely new engines being purchased and installed in the aircraft. I don't know what % of the cost of an aircraft the engine is,

Depending on model, the engine is about 11-13% of the cost of an F-35.

In the oughts, the engine was priced at round 20-25% the cost of a whole jet, but they were able to significantly reduce the engine unit cost with economies of scale as the program went on. It is harder to find what percentage of cpfh is from the engine; I'm sure it's a significant portion.

Frosted Flake posted:

The argument for the F-35 was that engines now are so reliable that the requirement was no longer needed. It turns out that the F-35 specifically has an underpowered and unreliable engine.

I think you are confused about increased cost of maintenance on the ground, which is a different problem from engine failure in flight. To date, 2 F-35 has had a flight mishap due to engine control failure. It was in test and had not yet been accepted for delivery into any military service. As a result, the government halted engine acceptance from the manufacturer until all new-build engines could be inspected and fitted with a fix. Deliveries have resumed after finding a problem that causes that F-35B mishap during testing. The other was a fuel tube issue, which is since fixed (5 years ago or so). It's not 100% clear that the fuel tube was part of the engine system, but I'm including it to give the engine a lack of benefit of the doubt. Doesn't much matter if it was a fuel system tube vs an engine tube, I guess.

E: fixed typo - meant to say "2" F-35s had engine problems, and the typo put it at "12"

To put it in artillery terms, this would be like a gun that needs more expensive and more frequent maintenance than intended, but detectable and predictable maintenance. It is not like a gun that just catastrophically fails and kills the crew at random.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 17:33 on Apr 1, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I take your point, though I would say neither is ideal for defence of the continent.

Not that F-102 and F-106 were perfect either, I believe both had some significant problems. CF-100 and F-101 seem like perfect fits for the Canadian requirements though, being basically flying bricks without too much to worry about. I don't know much about the the P&W J57 but the Avro Canada Orenda was boring, conventional and reliable, so far as I know.

Not an aviation guy, so I could be wrong but big plane + 2 engines seems like a winning formula. Idk, put Airbus engines on for all it matters, and use the F-35 in Europe just like our previous mix of interceptors at home and fighter bombers away.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The F-35A was the frontrunner, but a move for the F/A-18E would have made sense IMO. Canada's air defense mission is much more about getting to and shooting down missiles, which an AESA-equipped F/A-18E can do. Some speculate this was also linked to a Boeing airliner dispute with Canada, but I don't know.

Once it was down to the Gripen or F-35A, RIP Gripen. The other major two-engine offerings (Rafale and Eurofighter) both dropped out on their own, because they found Canada too difficult to work with and thought the whole competition was stacked to make a US choice the only real choice.

F-15EX could do the mission as well, but jet for jet costs even more than an F-35A to both buy and to fly, and it wasn't around when Canada kicked this project off.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mlmp08 posted:

The other major two-engine offerings (Rafale and Eurofighter) both dropped out on their own, because they found Canada too difficult to work with and thought the whole competition was stacked to make a US choice the only real choice.

They were correct.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
they should of just made more F22s imo. that plane seems pretty cool except that there's so few of them and they can't make more spare parts

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

They were correct.

lol that the US competitors for India's next big fighterplane bonanza were actually shocked when they lost to european designs and queen secretary hillary tried to offer us the F-35 if we cancelled the competition.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

indigi posted:

they should of just made more F22s imo. that plane seems pretty cool except that there's so few of them and they can't make more spare parts

Its hilarious how back in the 90s the F-22 was going to be this great big super plane of the future this shining beacon of America's military might and its only publicly known combat misson is shooting down a weather ballon off of South Carolina

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

I think you should reread the article. Adding more weight and more internal component heat isn’t the solution they are looking for.

you're right the solution they're looking for is planned early failure on national defense hardware so they can steal from the public trust even faster than planned

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Oldest Man posted:

you're right the solution they're looking for is planned early failure on national defense hardware so they can steal from the public trust even faster than planned

look, this huge scam isn't a scam because we had a even bigger scam lined up

impeccable logic

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Palladium posted:

look, this huge scam isn't a scam because we had a even bigger scam lined up

impeccable logic

then when they get their trillion dollars and the plane is a useless dog anyway they can get another two trillion for !SIXTH GEN!!~

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Oldest Man posted:

then when they get their trillion dollars and the plane is a useless dog anyway they can get another two trillion for !SIXTH GEN!!~

clearly, the body of MIC beneficiaries called the congress and senate will be very patriotic enough to stop this corruption

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

what a difference ten years makes

quote:

One major directive of the development of the F135 engine was to drastically improve engine reliability and ease of maintenance over previous aircraft, keeping downtime at a minimum. One such method was to use far fewer parts in comparison to similar engines, theoretically reducing parts failures, and ensuring that all line-replaceable components can be changed using a standard set of six common tools.

The major leap forward has, however, been the establishment of the F135 Health Management System, which monitors the performance of the engine automatically and provides real-time data to maintainers on the ground. This data is analysed before maintainers troubleshoot and identify any necessary replacement parts prior to the aircraft returning to base. Pratt & Whitney has estimated that this could save as much as 94% of replacement time over legacy engines, achieving the directive of reducing aircraft downtime.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

"This software will help us find what the problem is with the engine"

"It turned out that the problem is that the engine is poo poo. We didn't need the software for this either."

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

"This software will help us find what the problem is with the engine"

"It turned out that the problem is that the engine is poo poo. We didn't need the software for this either."

*pointing to F35 integrated maintenance management terminal that has a flashing warning message "please insert 500 billion dollars"*

"see there's the problem"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

let’s see it says the engine problem is, huh, “too much entitlement spending” and “the perfidious Chinese, who must be confronted with force if necessary.” wow, this diagnostic is brilliant.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

indigi posted:

it's not pulling "cold" air from the engine it's pulling compressed air that's very hot but can be used to cool some components. it's also used to de-ice wings and stuff, cause it's hot

planes can pull cold air from the atmosphere but it's not done through the engine and idk if it's used on fighter jets. probably is actually to keep the cabin cool

500f is cold as gently caress for a jet engine

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

500excf type r posted:

500f is cold as gently caress for a jet engine

Wrong. Most jet engines are colder than that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The f35 engine is ambient temperature most of the time because it's turned off for maintenance

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I recall correctly the reason why the VTOL model has the weaker engine is that any stronger and it'd destroy the runway it'd be trying to take off from. The naval version, which does short takeoffs, can afford a more powerful engine and is better off for it

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The f35 engine is ambient temperature most of the time because it's turned off for maintenance

It can provide shade if you crawl up into it to take a nap

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Weka posted:

Wrong. Most jet engines are colder than that.

Im sure this is a joke but "hot" and "cold" are relative terms and the "cold" section of an engine is still hitting like 1100+ degrees in the final compressor stages before the combustor. Idk what that other dude was on about because the original article talked about all the things he pondered re: cabin air (it is bleed air cooled down)

The whole engine is designed around the bleed air / cooling air, it's a balancing act to get as much power as possible while removing that heat from the components. When you add or remove it in one area, it affects everything else

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

500excf type r posted:

Im sure this is a joke but "hot" and "cold" are relative terms and the "cold" section of an engine is still hitting like 1100+ degrees in the final compressor stages before the combustor. Idk what that other dude was on about because the original article talked about all the things he pondered re: cabin air (it is bleed air cooled down)

The whole engine is designed around the bleed air / cooling air, it's a balancing act to get as much power as possible while removing that heat from the components. When you add or remove it in one area, it affects everything else

To the extent to where some of the newer high power turbine rotor sections are being milled from solid blocks of titanium to try and scrape out a couple extra degrees of operating temperature.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

gradenko_2000 posted:

If I recall correctly the reason why the VTOL model has the weaker engine is that any stronger and it'd destroy the runway it'd be trying to take off from. The naval version, which does short takeoffs, can afford a more powerful engine and is better off for it

here's an article about that from 2010: https://theaviationist.com/2010/11/24/the-f-35b-heating-problems/

1700 degree downwash, that can't be easy on an aircraft carrier's deck

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

The marines should have just retrofitted ski jumps on the amphibious assault ships rather than deal with the F-35B. I guess they really need the deck space for more helicopters, or maybe some dingus in the USMC is still obsessed with jets ~operating from FOBs~ like they were with the Harrier, Falklands, etc. but can you imagine the delicate little flower that is the F-35 operating out of a dusty rear end FOB? Of course the real reason they committed to a VTOL F-35 is for grifting neoliberally, but still it's funny to think about.

edit: reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=814kuAcpemY&t=218s

Top Gun Reference has issued a correction as of 23:51 on Apr 2, 2023

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Top Gun Reference posted:

The marines should have just retrofitted ski jumps on the amphibious assault ships rather than deal with the F-35B. I guess they really need the deck space for more helicopters, or maybe some dingus in the USMC is still obsessed with jets ~operating from FOBs~ like they were with the Harrier, Falklands, etc. but can you imagine the delicate little flower that is the F-35 operating out of a dusty rear end FOB? Of course the real reason they committed to a VTOL F-35 is for grifting neoliberally, but still it's funny to think about.

After decades of the US military making fun of nations with skijump aircraft carriers the US would never do something practical and cheap

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

500excf type r posted:

Im sure this is a joke

Somebody even helpfully explained it.

Slavvy posted:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Top Gun Reference posted:

The marines ahould retrofit themselves out of existence

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Palladium posted:

The marines ahould retrofit themselves out of existence

I read that they're getting repurposed as an occupational force to hold islands and make it a slog for China to take over the rest of Asia, relying on the Navy to get them there

I guess they never heard of MacArthur's island hopping

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's halfway to an acknowledgement that landing on the Chinese mainland is beyond the capabilities of any branch of the US military, and so there's no mission for the USMC in that sort of war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

It's halfway to an acknowledgement that landing on the Chinese mainland is beyond the capabilities of any branch of the US military, and so there's no mission for the USMC in that sort of war.

Is there a way to take and occupy a megacity, anywhere but especially China?

Kiev has like 3 million people and Shanghai has 27. The Russians didn't even get to Kiev