Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

bartok posted:

What's the goofiest and least painful looking submission move?

When people started tapping out to the Giant Swing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I would much rather tap to the giant swing than puke in the ring, the inevitable conclusion

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why was Orton vs Edge at Backlash billed as the Greatest Wrestling Match Ever TM?
Their match at Wrestlemania was widely regarded as extremely boring, so they decided to have a rematch and stick it to the IWC haters/dirtsheets? by asserting it would be Greatest.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wasn’t some other match being hailed as the greatest wrestling match ever around then so they decided to have an official greatest wrestling match ever because SEO and spite

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

bartok posted:

What's the goofiest and least painful looking submission move?

As much as I love YOSHI-HASHI I'm saying the Butterfly Lock.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
When was the last time a ROH Pure match went to the judges? What interesting stuff have they done in the past to bring the judges into play?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
they did use the Benoit weight lifting machine spot which was quite a choice :stare:

I remember the second match after the Greatest match of all time being like 10x better

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

When people started tapping out to the Giant Swing

That was cool because it wasn't because it hurt its because it was the only way to get it to stop because Claudio is a beast

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Why did WWE randomly use licensed music ("All the Things She Said") for Victoria in the early '00s? They never presented her as being on that Lita/Trish level, and the song wasn't part of any WWE-adjacent albums that I'm aware of. Like even the theme songs for Lita/Trish with real singers were WWE in-house productions.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Can i get a list of people who never really did much but where considered good hands so basically have a job for life in one of the bigger companies from the attitude era?

Who is basically brooklyn brawler who had their run between 96 and 99. Malenko would probably be one, never really got prime billing but has basically been a producer in both wwe and aew.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Answers Me posted:

When was the last time a ROH Pure match went to the judges? What interesting stuff have they done in the past to bring the judges into play?
I think about this every time I see a Pure match. I want the judges to have to do something!!! I WANT TO HEAR FROM JERRY LYNN

Defenestrategy posted:

Can i get a list of people who never really did much but where considered good hands so basically have a job for life in one of the bigger companies from the attitude era?

Who is basically brooklyn brawler who had their run between 96 and 99. Malenko would probably be one, never really got prime billing but has basically been a producer in both wwe and aew.
Savio Vega? Unless you mean a job for life in that same company, but since Malenko is on your list I imagine it does not have to be in the same one

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defenestrategy posted:

Dean Malenko wasn't considered a good hand he was a known top tier in ring talent and given actual pushes. Wasn't Brawler kept around more for nepotism reasons?

A good hand is more like someone like Brad Armstrong, where it's half compliment, half kiss of death.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Not jobs for life, but Val Venis and I think the Godfather were kept around in the WWE for much longer than you would expect because they were seen as "good hands", solid journeyman wrestlers who could be used for try-out matches for new talent. If you couldnt have a decent match with Val you probably werent much use to the WWE. Plus their gimmicks could get a nice easy pop in dark matches to warm up the crowd.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think about this every time I see a Pure match. I want the judges to have to do something!!! I WANT TO HEAR FROM JERRY LYNN

The pen and paper is a nice touch. There's no scorecard so I can only imagine they're scrawling 'I THINK YUTA WON'

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Scotty too Hotty was employed for years as a result of his attitude era run. Enhancement talent until about 1998, then jobber tag team for a few years, a red hot period for 6 months and solidly in the low midcard for over half a decade before getting released, and then years working as a trainer.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I feel like the Headbangers were around for a while as good hands, enough that I’d see them outside of wrestling and on TV shows like Real World/Road Rules, where if they had a wrestling theme show then the Headbangers were the ones who showed them the ropes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The headbangers sucked in the ring from what I remember

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

They weren't much of a tag team, but whichever one that was repackaged as Chaz and ended up in Lo-Down with D-Lo was a serviceable wrestler, probably with "midcard" as his ceiling.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Minidust posted:

Why did WWE randomly use licensed music ("All the Things She Said") for Victoria in the early '00s? They never presented her as being on that Lita/Trish level, and the song wasn't part of any WWE-adjacent albums that I'm aware of. Like even the theme songs for Lita/Trish with real singers were WWE in-house productions.

Most of this is hearsay, but IIRC Victoria was a fan of theirs and asked to use it. But also Tatu were very trendy at the time and had crossover popularity, and WWE even had TV segments interviewing them to promote Victoria's cool new music. They were also deep into the era of presenting Divas as sex objects, so they attached a band consisting of Russian faux-lesbian schoolgirls just so they could sell more sex, since Victoria never leaned into that part of being a Diva.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

They weren't much of a tag team, but whichever one that was repackaged as Chaz and ended up in Lo-Down with D-Lo was a serviceable wrestler, probably with "midcard" as his ceiling.
that was mosh and yeah fair, he was not too bad

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

that was mosh and yeah fair, he was not too bad

Headbanger Mosh was also one of two wrestlers the Rock picked out along with Crash Holly as the two people he had to watch out for in the 2000 Royal Rumble, so he was obviously a legitimate threat in the ring.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Headbanger Mosh was the better wrestler, but I think Headbanger Thrasher was the one who said "UGH I THINK I SWALLOWED MY TONGUE RING" in WWF Attitude/Warzone, so who's to say which was the better Headbanger

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Scotty too Hotty was employed for years as a result of his attitude era run. Enhancement talent until about 1998, then jobber tag team for a few years, a red hot period for 6 months and solidly in the low midcard for over half a decade before getting released, and then years working as a trainer.

The insane part is that I know intellectually they where only red hot for six months, but I keep falsely thinking that the period between New Age Outlaws being the on top tag team and The TLC Three being on top was like two years of Too Cool.

MassRafTer posted:

Dean Malenko wasn't considered a good hand he was a known top tier in ring talent and given actual pushes.

Was he? in WCW I don't remember him crashing through the cruiserweight/technical guy ceiling and in WWF I don't remember him doing anything of note except for a feud with the hardy's for a few weeks and being worried about his friends CTE (saturn)

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I remember hearing someone (Pritchard?) say they brought in The Goon with no expectations of pushing him, they just needed an experienced hand on the roster to work with guys.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defenestrategy posted:

The insane part is that I know intellectually they where only red hot for six months, but I keep falsely thinking that the period between New Age Outlaws being the on top tag team and The TLC Three being on top was like two years of Too Cool.

Was he? in WCW I don't remember him crashing through the cruiserweight/technical guy ceiling and in WWF I don't remember him doing anything of note except for a feud with the hardy's for a few weeks and being worried about his friends CTE (saturn)

He got the US title and it's not like the cruiserweight title was a joke title when he held it, plus the stuff with the Horsemen. He was never pushed as a top guy but he was given real pushes in the midcard.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MassRafTer posted:

He got the US title and it's not like the cruiserweight title was a joke title when he held it, plus the stuff with the Horsemen. He was never pushed as a top guy but he was given real pushes in the midcard.

Yeah, this. Dean Malenko hit the ceiling for a short technical guy in WCW, but you could hit that ceiling and still be a deeply respected wrestler and considered one of the best at the time. Doing nothing with him and treating him like a generic good hand is in fact a sign that WCW was starting to fall apart in 1998.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Defenestrategy posted:

I know what you mean. It probably helps both that they were INSANELY over for a bit, especially with Rikishi, and I want to say Vince's arbitrary decision to turn Rikishi heel was part of the end of their fame though the timeline might actually not line up there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Has there ever been a squash ladder match?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Gavok posted:

Has there ever been a squash ladder match?

Undertaker vs Jeff Hardy in 2002 is the most one sided that comes to mind

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

What about table match? Anyone just immediately get thrown off the apron through one or something

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Sex Farm posted:

What about table match? Anyone just immediately get thrown off the apron through one or something

The Big Show vs. Cody table match was a squash until Cody won lol

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I know what you mean. It probably helps both that they were INSANELY over for a bit, especially with Rikishi, and I want to say Vince's arbitrary decision to turn Rikishi heel was part of the end of their fame though the timeline might actually not line up there.

They peaked with their tag title win in May 2000 then they dropped way down the card after losing the titles. By the time Rikishi turned Sexay/Hotty we’re back to being opening match job guys.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Crush was a weird one, he hung around WWE from roughly 1991 to 1998, was usually treated as a credible enough threat, meanwhile his highest profile matches were losing to Doink, losing to Yokozuna, losing to Shawn Michaels and losing to Macho Man

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

The Big Show vs. Cody table match was a squash until Cody won lol

Big Show squashed the table!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

The pop he got when he took off the mask and attacked Jericho isn't insignificant either

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DeathChicken posted:

Crush…losing to Macho Man

He tried so hard to make it look like he was still tied up, poor guy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

SiKboy posted:

Not jobs for life, but Val Venis and I think the Godfather were kept around in the WWE for much longer than you would expect because they were seen as "good hands", solid journeyman wrestlers who could be used for try-out matches for new talent. If you couldnt have a decent match with Val you probably werent much use to the WWE. Plus their gimmicks could get a nice easy pop in dark matches to warm up the crowd.
Val Venis genuinely did shock me at how long he stuck around (until spring 2008!) but the Godfather as a gimmick ended up only having about two years total. It was a gradual shift from Nation of Domination Kama Mustafa to Nation of Domination Godfather, and the gimmick didn't fully take hold until 1999, and by summer of 2000 he'd been switched to Right to Censor "Goodfather". After that, he came back as the Godfather at the 2002 Rumble and then got released in summer of 2002 after mostly working house shows/Velocity. So there was barely two years of Opening Match Cheap Pop Godfather. Of course, he was also in the company from 1991-1993 and 1995-1998 so there was a solid decade of Charles Wright, just not that much of it as the Godfather.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

After Vikingo vs Speedball at springbreak yesterday the crowd tossed a bunch of money into the ring. Is that a common practice at indy shows to show your appreciation for a match?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

After Vikingo vs Speedball at springbreak yesterday the crowd tossed a bunch of money into the ring. Is that a common practice at indy shows to show your appreciation for a match?

It's common in lucha, caught on in the states due to SoCal indies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Defenestrategy posted:

it is a lucha thing, jericho complained in his autobiography that it actually loving hurt when it was coins.