Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

MrYenko posted:

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo its not a Cessna, either. It's a fuckin Aero Commander 100. Fuckin' Unicorn.

No poo poo. Pretty neat little bird, if you want to spend your entire life explaining it’s not a 172. I’ve given up on getting annoyed at controllers calling my Stinson a Cessna. Some of them hear it properly, but most just assume Cessna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Trainee pilot recounts near-death experience after place crashes | 9 News Australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMPYpxXv3uM

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
The Junkers Klf 255 seems dated...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QGKLygwEkI

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
One of the guys in my neighborhood is rather insane. Here's his rocket powered gyrocoptor motorcycle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdLsjjFa1aQ

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

One of the guys in my neighborhood is rather insane. Here's his rocket powered gyrocoptor motorcycle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdLsjjFa1aQ

Lol. These guys did a speedrun on Kriegsmarine helicopter development with a chair and a motorcycle. The cyclic is almost one-for-one taken from the first gyrocopter to have cyclic control. I'm glad he said that they aren't going to fly the bike, but it might work. Might not.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cable Guy posted:

The Junkers Klf 255 seems dated...

Oh that's good. I think Ryan from the BB New Jersey museum's tour of the museum ship USS Enterprise edges it out, but this is one of the best from this year's April Fools crop.

The biggest giveaway was Ed doing a short video, he spent 5 hours on the Ki-84.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Platystemon posted:

Engine lost power, stopped, was restarted, stopped again multiple times. He had less than a hundred hours of experience.

He leaves the root cause unstated.

Comment on his own takeoff video:

“Sir, do you have any idea how fast you were going?”

I read the article posted and :lol:

"The FAA later determined the cause of the engine failure was a fuel shortage, Fraser said. "

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/TZxZmdC.mp4

No brrrr but otherwise good hogging

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

God I love that impractical, ugly, and old as hell plane. The USAF should just go whole hog into weird COIN aircraft imo.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Embrace the Air Tractor future, imo.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Planes III - Dusty Gets Even

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

MrYenko posted:

Embrace the Combat Caravan future, imo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
NASA is revealing the names of the four Artemis II astronauts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mua1Lysc_JQ

They're taking their sweet time, too. :rolleyes:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

MrYenko posted:

Embrace the Air Tractor future, imo.

Air Tractors in air supremacy

Revive the A-16 concept for contested airspace

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/repbencline/status/1642928880959864842?s=46&t=TBi_iSImUmzjTxXAKsMEHw

So what’s the EC-130 replacement going to look like?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

EAC-130, now with Schraege Musik.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

lordofthefishes posted:

I read the article posted and :lol:

"The FAA later determined the cause of the engine failure was a fuel shortage, Fraser said. "

Classic case of fuel contamination - there was too much air in his fuel.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The EC-37 is a Gulfstream.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

karoshi posted:

VLAAMRAM

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oooh black betty:

MrYenko posted:

VLAAMRAM

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

The EC-37 is a Gulfstream.

Oh, neat. Altitude alone means that platform makes way more sense than the EC-130. I’m guessing that was always an improvised Vietnam war decision like the AC-130?

karoshi posted:

Ah but you see the C-130 can only fly to about 26,000 ft which means that to hit a balloon at 70k feet you’d need something like a howitzer. Wait….

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh, neat. Altitude alone means that platform makes way more sense than the EC-130. I’m guessing that was always an improvised Vietnam war decision like the AC-130?

I think it was informed by the Vietnam experience, but came afterwards. Most EW was in the form of self-protection jammers or dedicated tactical aircraft, like the Prowler. A C-130 gives you a lot more range and loiter, and power. Nowadays threats can reach a whole lot farther, so a C-130 is probably not the best platform anymore. The most surprising aspect of this is that the AF actually pursued a modern platform for a support capability, as the existing aircraft approached end of life. It almost seems like someone managed to plan this out AND get buy-in from leadership. It's rather stunning.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So yesterday I found this:

https://fearoflanding.com/history/arrow-air-flight-1285-icing-or-explosion/

Fear of Flying did a write-up on the Arrow Air crash, where they have the cause as "Overweight due to fuckery, and could have taken off safely with a long enough takeoff but that didn't happen." I mean, it fits the facts, sort of, until I noticed this:

quote:

But neither of them thought to mention this to the next flight crew, who took over the flight at Gander. In Cologne with a clean aircraft, a bit of extra weight may not have been a big deal and was easily dealt with by lifting off at a faster speed. But in Gander, with ice on the wing and not quite so much runway to play with, it could have caused the aircraft to lift off without being able to climb away safely.

So, checking the original report which Fear of Flying helpfully posted:

1) the crew change happened at Cologne, there was no crew change at Gander. So the flight crew took off once, successfully, in the overweight condition.

2) The Cologne to Gander leg was ~4300 km, with the Gander-to-Lexington, KY leg being ~2700 km. Unless they loaded the same amount of fuel twice for some reason, the Gander takeoff would have had a significantly lighter fuel load? Also, assuming as everyone does that the load doesn't change post Cairo, they took off in warm weather with that load as well. I don't know if what a DC-8 can do in +20 C and sunny vs. -2 C in no winds is a unladen swallow debate, but the aircraft already made two takeoffs, one with the same fuel load and one with a heavily increased fuel load.

3) One of the few things the investigation did establish was that there was no ice on the wings; literally none. Precipitation was recorded as being trace freezing rain, which is defined as being less than 0.2mm. [Inches: less than a gnat's chuff]

MrYenko posted:

Anyone who needs a conspiracy theory to explain an Arrow Air crash has clearly never hung around Arrow’s ramp.

Which is...really fair, actually

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh. Huh. I didn’t know that DJT got his 757 flying again last year.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Fear of Flying

https://fearoflanding.com/misc/a-visit-to-blackpool-atc/ posted:

Security is a priority at any large airfield these days and Blackpool was no exception. We ran our bags through the metal detector and were given badges to wear around our necks. I was rather amused to see that my badge identified me as representing Fear of Flying.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Platystemon posted:

Oh. Huh. I didn’t know that DJT got his 757 flying again last year.

I'm sure there's some unpaid bill out there associated with getting it airworthy again.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Nebakenezzer posted:

3) One of the few things the investigation did establish was that there was no ice on the wings; literally none. Precipitation was recorded as being trace freezing rain, which is defined as being less than 0.2mm. [Inches: less than a gnat's chuff]

Um... what? I don't agree at all that the investigation established there was no ice on the wings. There was little chance of direct evidence one way or the other, but as you said in the next sentence, precipitation during the time the plane was on the ground included "trace freezing rain". What does that kind of precip do? The following description of what that meant on the ground that day is included in the investigation's report:

quote:

The weather observer on duty at the time of the occurrence testified at the Board's public in- quiry that, in the several hours preceding the accident, he had made regular visits to both obser- vation sites to check on the icing indicators. He stated that, at his 0900 observation, he observed a small amount of freezing drizzle on the indicator at the roof observation site. He described it as small areas comprising 10 to 15 per cent of the surface area of the indicator. Also present, mixed in with the freezing drizzle, were snow grains which had adhered to the surface of the in- dicator. Together, the freezing drizzle and snow grains covered approximately 30 per cent of the indicator's surface. The result was a thin, rough layer resembling medium grit sandpaper which could be removed with a finger-nail. The indicator at the ground level observation site was sub- stantially the same. As a result of this observation, the precipitation on the 0900 surface obser- vation report was indicated as very light freezing drizzle and light snow grains.

I bolded the really significant bit. Surface roughness can greatly influence the performance of a wing. Smooth surfaces help attach airflow to make lift, rough surfaces encourage detachment and less lift. Surface roughness in the wrong places plus a too-low rotation speed (because weight and balance calculations are off) is a recipe for inadequate climb performance; the majority opinion isn't ridiculous on its face.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BobHoward posted:

I bolded the really significant bit. Surface roughness can greatly influence the performance of a wing. Smooth surfaces help attach airflow to make lift, rough surfaces encourage detachment and less lift. Surface roughness in the wrong places plus a too-low rotation speed (because weight and balance calculations are off) is a recipe for inadequate climb performance; the majority opinion isn't ridiculous on its face.

Uh, yeah, thanks, I understand what 'ice on the wings' means. Do you understand what less than 0.2 mm means?

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
I don't think this was posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0U9llcuaXA

Summary: 47 minutes dunking on McDonnell Douglas. (And Boeing).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
:stonk:

https://www.newsweek.com/deadly-snake-found-plane-hero-pilot-emergency-landing-1792657

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meP2MGgqLFs

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

About two seconds into that video I thought, that nosewheel is coming off

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Naval aviator plane handler spotted

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does this count

https://twitter.com/NASA_Landsat/status/1642954595377750027

Some more context here https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/check-out-these-images-of-a-satellite-in-orbit-taken-by-another-satellite

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Do you understand what less than 0.2 mm means?

It says right in the FAA textbooks that a film of ice on the wing the thickness and roughness of sandpaper can reduce available lift by like 30 percent.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a shame that the Mythbusters never tested “glue 80‑grit sandpaper to the wings of a plane”.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It’s a shame that the Mythbusters never tested “glue 80‑grit sandpaper to the wings of a plane”.

Early show could have done it but no way to work an explosion into that one so late MB would decline.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Midjack posted:

Early show could have done it but no way to work an explosion into that one so late MB would decline.

Well, you could try it with an in-flight plane...

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Is this Loss?