Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Lockback posted:

?? It's a big difference between the 3060 and 4060. 4060 hangs around a 3070ti mobile (more or less, some things higher, some lower. Probably averages out a smidge below) and keeps a lot of performance as you scale down the wattage. I think you may have been comparing the 3060 desktop vs the 4060 mobile. Those are pretty close.

AMD has the 6700M/6800M, but only a few models have that. They're good cards, you just lose some of RTX advantage. Mostly they just don't have a lot out in the wild. The 7000 mobile is released but I've yet to see any. I'm not holding my breathe that they'll have a huge footprint either.

And yes, waiting to snipe the right machine is the best bet. This is historically kind of a cruddy time though. Historically the next best time for good sales won't really come until mid-summer. However the calendar has been weird for a while so who knows?

Shouldn't new RTX 4-Series Laptops being come out really soon? Lenovo, HP, etc. all have place holder pages but there's no way to order anything expect for some of GigaByte, Acer and Asus models that are mostly higher end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Real hurthling! posted:

I watched a bunch of prebuilt tower reviews on gamers nexus and it seems like they mostly all suck and are tacky looking and huge vs the slim, hardly noticeable laptop on the tv shelf (even though it is gently caress off huge on my lap its sleek under the tv)

Yeah desktop gaming prebuilts generally either suck or are way overpriced. Exceptions exist but require some dedicated deal hunting most of the time.

Building your own is probably the way to go for that. If you did it 20yr ago you'll be fine doing it today after reading a few how-to's or watching some vids on GN. Way more options exist for small and slim PC's than back then too.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

bike tory posted:

Yeah their new product lines are such a loving nightmare. I've seen that the 7735U is basically a 6900HS rebadge?

There are some really good deals going on them in NZ at the moment, which is making me question whether I go for one.

The 7735U looks like an extremely mild refresh of the 6800U. A whopping 50Mhz faster boost. :haw:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-6800u
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-7735u

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lockback posted:

I mean, the 6900HS is still a really good laptop CPU, dumb naming convention or not :shrug:

Yeah it's a great CPU but it's a sub-par GPU compared to the same price 2022 models.

Also no touch screen option :colbert:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Real hurthling! posted:

I suppose i should explore all options tho.
Just remembered that Pcpartpicker has a completed builds section with all kinds of posts from people who've built stuff you might be interested in.

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/#E=8

Thats for slim mATX form factor PC's which sounds close to what you might want. That or ITX desktops which seems to have some more recent builds.

Hopefully that helps out some.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 1, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for the help!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Shouldn't new RTX 4-Series Laptops being come out really soon? Lenovo, HP, etc. all have place holder pages but there's no way to order anything expect for some of GigaByte, Acer and Asus models that are mostly higher end.

Yup, but they start out typically high priced, especially considering how frequently you can get pretty substantial discounts on the same models. Laptops almost always debut at MSRPs that are not at all good values but then quickly come down. It's mostly waiting for more availability across the lineups.

This is just guesswork though. But either way things are slim right now, but they usually are this time of year.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

shrike82 posted:

laptop makers have had to push back their 2023 AMD laptop launches by a couple months

I want to replace my T460 and will be able to buy a T14 Gen 3 this summer for a good deal (I can buy it in the US and have someone bring it to me). I thought about waiting until this fall but Thinkpad prices in Germany are ridiculous.

I know a MacBook air would probably be the best for my situation, but I want/need Windows. There is no real issue with the Gen 3, right? Mainly use it for light gaming (nothing too recent), Netflix and internet.

The gains for next gen AMD processors are not worth waiting for/paying min. €1,600, right?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Thanks for the help!

We have a thread for SFF cases too you might want to check out to get some ideas https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587

Between that and the PC building thread you should be able to put a pretty kick rear end system together for way less than a 4k60 capable laptop.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Magic City Monday posted:

The gains for next gen AMD processors are not worth waiting for/paying min. €1,600, right?

Probably not.

Real hurthling! posted:

Thanks for the help!

Enos Cabell posted:

We have a thread for SFF cases too you might want to check out to get some ideas https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587

Between that and the PC building thread you should be able to put a pretty kick rear end system together for way less than a 4k60 capable laptop.

Yeah, as PLL mentioned 4k60 probably needs a 4080 mobile and at that price point you may be able to get a Desktop AND a laptop for the other room. If you were targeting more like high refresh 1080p on that TV you can get a nice laptop for $1k-1,200, but I'm afraid you'd get something that, while better than your 1070 laptop, wouldn't be nearly as huge of a jump as I think you're hoping for.

It doesn't help that the mobile 1070 was an absolute beast of a mobile card.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lockback posted:

Probably not.

Yeah, as PLL mentioned 4k60 probably needs a 4080 mobile and at that price point you may be able to get a Desktop AND a laptop for the other room. If you were targeting more like high refresh 1080p on that TV you can get a nice laptop for $1k-1,200, but I'm afraid you'd get something that, while better than your 1070 laptop, wouldn't be nearly as huge of a jump as I think you're hoping for.

It doesn't help that the mobile 1070 was an absolute beast of a mobile card.

Yeah it owns so much i've had no issues with it since 2017. An absolute pleasure to have owned.

Maybe im dumb as hell but i just realized i could get a laptop with a 30xx and push 1440p60 ultra settings to the tv no problem right? Does that work well and look sharper than 1080p on a 4k tv or am i going to be battling wonky scaling and poo poo on a game by game basis?

I dont actually care about native 4k i just want to return to the land of max settings and get access to dlss and grab whatever res bump i can cause 1080 is meh

After staying up too late browsing parts picker i think my space in the living room is not gonna support a mini itx of the size that would accomodate a 40xx, i would need one of those dumb nuc things to wedge in there and lol at the price/hosed up thermals of those things they have an i9 one that heats up to the mid 90s and throttles itself hard. Intel being intel maybe.

Heres the space i have for a pc and as my kid plays katamari right now on console im realizing i can pick the laptop up and use it in the chair while if i had a itx i would have to use steam streaming and id rather not play in that scenario unless the game is turn based.

(That's less than 7 inches of clearance under the tv, depth is only 14 in so a 12" 40xx card would have to be sideways to have room for the cables most likely)

I guess i could have a tower on the floor but then it would be blocking cabinets and in the way and poo poo. 4k can wait for 2029 when i get another new laptop...or a place with room for a real computer desk but we're pretty happy in the little apartment.

If 1440p is no hassle on a tv, do you guys have any recs for a machine with top power for value?

I have no idea how much cpu/ram i need these days, sorry i am such a luddite, my last build was like a 2005 athelon 64 tower that had issues constantly so i shunned the virtuous path of hardware enthusiasm and pc gaming for too long until i was given my PREDATOR (loving hate the name, but never put a sticker over it in case i wanted to sell it when i traded up)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I rushed over to see if https://slickdeals.net/f/16549036-d...rspersed%3ATrue

was still available and its not. You probably want a 3070ti or a 4060. I'd target 1080p high/ultra settings and let the TV upscale it for you, will probably play a lot better than 1440p

So Maybe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BV8H8HVD
(delayed shipping though, end of april-end of may. I don't know if it'd come earlier or not)

Otherwise honestly right now I don't see any particularly great deals out there. It's a slow time.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 1, 2023

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Hmmm, would a wall mounted case work?

There are "floating" shelves you can get to hold a regular desktop case up near the TV if there is enough wall space.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

1300 is pretty dece for 40xx. Figured that would go for more. Thanks its tempting. I'll bookmark it.

I should check the tv menu whether i am displaying a 1080p image currently or if i am already upscaling the image. Whatever im doing looks way worse than the dynamic 4k on console but im also on mid presets so maybe its just that.

Its an LG c8 tv btw, tv upscaling is another thing i obviously know nothing about

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Upscaling won't look great but it probably shouldn't look bad? If you're on low/medium settings then it might. I think LG TVs will auto upscale.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cool thanks for being welcoming and understanding and letting me just talk my use case out

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Lockback posted:

:words:

This is just guesswork though. But either way things are slim right now, but they usually are this time of year.

Things have got to change soon though, last year ASUS Models (2022) are still going for their original MSRP of $2.4k+.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

High end stuff never really comes down.

Good price on an Asus with a 6800m for $1100
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/815221

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
For the money that is a very good laptop. Build quality is supposed to be pretty nice too.

The GPU can rival the 3080 for pure raster performance in some games and usually hangs in around a 3070Ti. The CPU is a bit slower than a 12th gen Intel 8 core, but not by much, while the power draw is typically much lower.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Been trying to track down a problem with USB disconnects followed by brief display freezes that started recently on the Legion 5 Pro and thought I'd ask if anyone else here has seen it. Symptoms are:
- All external USB devices disconnect and reconnect almost immediately. I've run USBLogView in the background and it confirms all external USB devices are disconnected, including the two hubs I have connected and even a third hub on the monitor that I recently connected while debugging.
- Display freezes a couple of times, 2-4 secs at a time. Elden Ring pauses and picks up right where it froze.
- Happens more frequently when playing a game, but can also happen when using the Citrix client for work but it's far, far less likely to.

Symptoms are exactly as described in this microsoft support thread. I added a new USB hub mid-Feb and this popped up within a few weeks, so I have another hub on the way given that forum post narrowed it down to a USB cable.

I also enabled GeForce Experience for the first time sometime this year and it's possible that could be the cause due to the kernel errors in event viewer seeming to pick process PIDs close to the NVidia Share process. May be a coincidence but the only reason I'm running it is to get new driver notifications so I've nuked it.

Curious if anyone else has seen this. It's pretty annoying for what has otherwise been a rock solid stable system.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Looks like that first hub you're replacing is unpowered? USB power brownouts was my immediate thought. I guess you'll find out when the other one arrives.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Looks like that first hub you're replacing is unpowered? USB power brownouts was my immediate thought. I guess you'll find out when the other one arrives.

It is! I hadn't considered too much power draw. Pretty sure all of the non-gaming drops happened when zooming while in a citrix session. The webcam was hanging off the unpowered hub along with a bunch of other stuff.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Asus doesn't want my money as they keep cancelling my order so, gently caress em, my last three laptops were Asus but I guess I'm in the market for anything that will actually take my money. Need battery life, a good display that can be seen from multiple angles (I have seen some with like, protection on to prevent that and I dont need that). A little tough would be nice, I don't plan on dunking it in the water my but old, slow, dying one gets a little rain on the keyboard every now and then. Will be doing some light mapping, not heavy GIS but several tabs, doing stuff at once kind of mapping or other work. I don't really care about lay flat or anything, never had one so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. Numpad would be nice but portability is probably more key.

Suggestions?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

v1ld posted:

Been trying to track down a problem with USB disconnects followed by brief display freezes that started recently on the Legion 5 Pro and thought I'd ask if anyone else here has seen it. Symptoms are:
- All external USB devices disconnect and reconnect almost immediately. I've run USBLogView in the background and it confirms all external USB devices are disconnected, including the two hubs I have connected and even a third hub on the monitor that I recently connected while debugging.
- Display freezes a couple of times, 2-4 secs at a time. Elden Ring pauses and picks up right where it froze.
- Happens more frequently when playing a game, but can also happen when using the Citrix client for work but it's far, far less likely to.

Symptoms are exactly as described in this microsoft support thread. I added a new USB hub mid-Feb and this popped up within a few weeks, so I have another hub on the way given that forum post narrowed it down to a USB cable.

I also enabled GeForce Experience for the first time sometime this year and it's possible that could be the cause due to the kernel errors in event viewer seeming to pick process PIDs close to the NVidia Share process. May be a coincidence but the only reason I'm running it is to get new driver notifications so I've nuked it.

Curious if anyone else has seen this. It's pretty annoying for what has otherwise been a rock solid stable system.

I had a similar issue with a desktop (screen goes blank USB disconnect sound plays USB connect sound plays screen restores) it was my GPU dying and the GPU driver crashing and recovering.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Asus doesn't want my money as they keep cancelling my order so, gently caress em, my last three laptops were Asus but I guess I'm in the market for anything that will actually take my money. Need battery life, a good display that can be seen from multiple angles (I have seen some with like, protection on to prevent that and I dont need that). A little tough would be nice, I don't plan on dunking it in the water my but old, slow, dying one gets a little rain on the keyboard every now and then. Will be doing some light mapping, not heavy GIS but several tabs, doing stuff at once kind of mapping or other work. I don't really care about lay flat or anything, never had one so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. Numpad would be nice but portability is probably more key.

Suggestions?

You been getting any phone calls from numbers you don't recognize? When I ordered my x16 they cancelled it once, then by the luck of the draw i picked up a "spam warning" call and it was the Asus warehouse trying to confirm my address. You could be getting bitten by the same thing, maybe.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Brian Worms posted:

You been getting any phone calls from numbers you don't recognize? When I ordered my x16 they cancelled it once, then by the luck of the draw i picked up a "spam warning" call and it was the Asus warehouse trying to confirm my address. You could be getting bitten by the same thing, maybe.

ditto but the solar company I was trying to work with to get solar panels installed a few months back.

But not Sunrun. gently caress Sunrun. They took my info and ghosted me for six months, then came back and said, "oh, that's because you didn't provide us with-" no, gently caress you, I did, and here's the email.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

There've been no USB disconnects since I put in the powered hub today. Played a few hours of Elden Ring which was enough to trigger it with the unpowered hubs, so here's hoping that the lack of power is indeed the cause.

pixaal posted:

I had a similar issue with a desktop (screen goes blank USB disconnect sound plays USB connect sound plays screen restores) it was my GPU dying and the GPU driver crashing and recovering.

... and not this! :ohdear:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Fingers crossed! :cheers:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I bought that rog with the 4060 and its coming on april 21st and the same amazon link now shows it costs 350 dollars more than when it was linked here so im glad i jumped on it
The new price is in stock tho but i can definitely wait out the 2 weeks and count the money i saved.
Thanks again

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anyone else curious as to if the ROG Ally's APU is going to be exclusive to that handheld or if they will also stuff it in a cheaper gaming laptop config?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The OP seems to be very, very out of date, so I figure I might as well just ask in-thread.

I'm looking to get a new laptop to replace my old, very much aging one before it starts to die. Specifically a Windows machine, because a lot of what I do with it is Windows-specific. On the scale of power, anything that can handle okay-ish settings Final Fantasy 14 and Deep Rock Galactic is fine, though something with enough CPU and RAM that I can also stream stuff would be nice (though not necessary). Battery life, weight, and portability aren't major factors for me, as the machine will be stationary and plugged in for most of the day. Physical size-wise, anything that's not comically huge; having a full keyboard with decent feel would be nice so I don't have to use a USB keyboard and take up even more space, but isn't a dealbreaker, and I'd rather have a small keyboard with good feel than a large one with lovely buttons.

As for durability, it'll likely need to last me at least a few years, but I'm not worried about being on the bleeding edge of anything, so I'm willing to pay a little more if it means I'll have a quality machine that won't barf all over itself and die in six months. 2 TB SSD is plenty, any smaller than that can feel very cramped, especially with needing to install a big game like XIV. I'd say my comfortable limit is $1200 and my ceiling is $1500, but that's numbers I pulled out of my rear end since I have no perspective on what computer prices are like right now.

What kinds of machines should I be looking at, and is there anything else I should know before I make my selection? Time isn't a huge factor so if there's something coming out in a month or two that'll blow my socks off, I can wait, but every month I wait is a month of risking this thing keeling over like an old dog.

Fake Edit: Also an ethernet port so I can hardwire into the internet without needing a stupid dongle when the wifi is lovely, and at least 3-4 USB ports would be lovely.

Real Edit: To answer the obvious question of "why not get a tower PC because that sounds like it meets most of your needs at a decent budget", I'm going to be moving cross country in a handful of months, and getting a monitor and tower all the way from here to the other side of the continental United States in one piece is the kind of hell I'd rather not experience again. If there really is nothing, I might just hunker down and get a tower PC after I move and deal with the logistics once I'm there, but I'd rather not wait that long if there are decent laptop options.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 5, 2023

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
What is the current outlook for laptops that can do light gaming, but inside a 100w power draw envelope? Light gaming would be anything I already play on my current laptop, which has a Vega M chip (roughly 1050 level of performance). 100w because if I want to break it out on a long train ride or plane flight the outlets will shut off if the draw is too high - my current 130w charger absolutely does, even if it's just the charging brick plugged in and not the laptop itself. If I can run things on a shared compact 65w charger with my phone to save weight all the better.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Anyone else curious as to if the ROG Ally's APU is going to be exclusive to that handheld or if they will also stuff it in a cheaper gaming laptop config?

The ROG Ally is using a modified Phoenix APU, which is a class of APU that is definitely coming to low-power laptops this month. Look for Ryzen 7040U or HS chips, with the second and fourth numbers designating their performance level (yeah it's dumb). U will be for ultra low power parts (15 - 28 watts) while HS will go up to 55W. The most powerful one known so far is the 7940HS, which will be 8 zen 4 cores and 12 RDNA3 CUs. The top U parts will have the same core/CU count but at lower clock speeds.

isndl posted:

What is the current outlook for laptops that can do light gaming, but inside a 100w power draw envelope? Light gaming would be anything I already play on my current laptop, which has a Vega M chip (roughly 1050 level of performance). 100w because if I want to break it out on a long train ride or plane flight the outlets will shut off if the draw is too high - my current 130w charger absolutely does, even if it's just the charging brick plugged in and not the laptop itself. If I can run things on a shared compact 65w charger with my phone to save weight all the better.

Honestly, see above. A phoenix-based laptop could be right for you, as they're expected to outperform the 1050 and get close to (or maybe surpass) the 1650.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 5, 2023

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Looking for purchase advice on... A PS5?

My current laptop has a 3060 inside. Specifically, this laptop from Newegg. Sometimes when I have company I'll hook it up to the living room TV (which is a 4K) to play games.

I'm considering getting a PS5 for the main room instead, but I don't want to buy one if it's about the same performance as using the laptop. I've had a hard time finding good comparisons between the laptop 3060 and a PS5. Does anyone have any advice about comparing the performance between the two and if getting the PS5 is worth it?

If this is the wrong thread for the question, apologies and I'll ask elsewhere.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Any thoughts as to how this would perform in the real world? They even advertise using it with a eGPU.

https://twitter.com/surface/status/1643274729946742784?s=20

Edit - Looks like major AAA titles like Metro Exodus get capped around ~40FPS @ 4k or 1440p [Feel free to check my quick searching] but it's technically feasible for other titles even at higher resolutions. If the bandwidth in the future increases eGPU gaming while expensive could be a realistic option.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 6, 2023

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I bought a new laptop: wanted something for general use, occasional travel, and maybe some light games without carrying around 8lbs of 16" laptop + power brick. So I ordered a Thinkpad X13 Gen 3 AMD: the 13.3" form factor is nice, it has actual ports, and I've been happy with Thinkpads in general for a long time. The Ryzen 7 6850U, 32GB RAM, 2TB, 500nit display model was available at a very reasonable price, and it has USB4 so it can share a docking station with my work computer.

I'm going to return this, because the "e-Privacy" display panel does not have a consistent brightness level between the top and bottom of the screen, even with the active privacy filter turned off. Tilting the screen or moving my head gives me the choice of whether the top or bottom is weirdly dark, but it's never good. This reminds me of old, lovely TN display panels before IPS became common. This is the "best" display panel available on the X13.

Back to shopping for a 13-14" AMD system.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

heffray posted:

I'm going to return this, because the "e-Privacy" display panel does not have a consistent brightness level between the top and bottom of the screen, even with the active privacy filter turned off. Tilting the screen or moving my head gives me the choice of whether the top or bottom is weirdly dark, but it's never good. This reminds me of old, lovely TN display panels before IPS became common. This is the "best" display panel available on the X13.

Back to shopping for a 13-14" AMD system.

That's unfortunate to hear. I've always been wary of the various "privacy" displays I've seen from some manufacturers. Just seemed to me that there'd be an inherent tradeoff somewhere. I guess you confirmed that. Would something like the Thinkpad Z13 be a comparable machine? Same form factor and 6000U AMD chips. I think they're a little more expensive than their X-series counterparts, though you can option an OLED if you want (I'd probably stick with the standard WUXGA IPS personally for the power savings).

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I think my next places to look would be a T14s or a Z13. Either one will be more expensive than the X13 was at similar specs, but I'm likely to hold onto this for a while and have some budget flexibility.

I'm also pretty sure I want 32GB RAM in anything fully soldered: 16 is fine for my current machine (Dell E7270, bought refurbed for $300 with a 6th gen i7) but Windows loves occupying empty RAM and I'd worry about wanting more than 16 before the rest of the computer is outdated.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

That's just Windows being Windows I think. I've seen cracked versions of Win11 running on machines with as little as 1gig of ram. It's unusable, but will boot and open a browser window (very poorly). I've been running 16gigs for the last 9 years on my laptops and never found it to be a limiting factor. Plus now we have crazy fast NVME storage and DDR5 so that if something needs to be moved to disk, it's not like ye olden days when your hard drive would start grinding away when you ran out of RAM.

Maybe on a gaming machine that will be seeing new AAA titles for the next few years it would be advisable to go for 32gigs, I probably would if I were buying a new machine today (or at least plan on upgrading during its lifespan). But I think 16 will still be good for a non-gaming laptop for many years to come. I say this as I type on a machine with 8gigs of ram, but it's also got a PCIEx4 NVME drive and a 12th gen intel. It runs Windows and my many browser tabs/video streams perfectly, but I haven't subjected it to anything more demanding than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Bothering the thread because the advice in the OP tells me it's a little old:

Any advice on standard solutions for a desktop-replacement laptop?

As in, something that's basically a self-contained desktop that I can pick up and relocate within a minute, and can run for an hour or two on battery, but otherwise isn't particularly a laptop.
Yes I am sure that (unusual form factor desktop) wouldn't suit my needs, unfortunately.

No concerns about size/weight/battery, common uses being gaming, image & video manipulation, standard office productivity.
I have no hunger for super-leet gamer styling, but it doesn't bother me if it's present.
17" and thick as a brick is fine, although if smaller/thinner is available without significant tradeoff, sure.

Previously had a good experience with some ancient 17" Asus ROG beast that was behind the times even when I bought it in ~2015.

Budget of ~$1k-1.5k, flexible, but probably unable to take advantage of specific offers because I'm far far away.