Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

SpacePig posted:

Stitcher wasn't just an expensive service, it was also a bad app. It probably is also still a bad app. Patreon subscriptions at least give you RSS feeds.

I never had issues with the app. As for expensive......I don't see how anyone could call the yearly Stitcher service expensive considering the content provided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah it's not like cable was cheap, especially if you had a premium package to get poo poo like HBO. I assume most people are still spending less on streaming services than they would be on cable, they just don't have everything. But with podcasts you can end up spending more keeping up with different shows that you would have spent on Earwolf/Stitcher pretty quickly, especially if you were stingy like me and got the annual subscription for earwolf when it was on sale for super cheap.

If I decided to subscribe to any of the earwolf spinoffs in 2023 it would definitely be CBB World just because there are shows by people whose podcasts I haven't already listened to for years on there, so there's more novelty to it even though I'm kind of sick of CBB itself at this point. I don't know if I ever will actually do that though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I will hop on AD's patreon in a few months, when there's a backlog of content. This month I think I might catch up with the Sloppy Boys' back catalog of Blowouts.

ashpanash posted:

People used to (and probably still do) bitch about cable TV packing in all these channels that "I don't watch, why am I paying for them?" And now we have 8 bajillion streaming services that we keep around for one single show and that all charge us $12 a month.

We finally got our wish for A La Carte Cable, but it was a monkey's paw situation

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

JethroMcB posted:

I will hop on AD's patreon in a few months, when there's a backlog of content. This month I think I might catch up with the Sloppy Boys' back catalog of Blowouts.

Money well spent! The Blowouts rule.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I get way more than $7/month worth of laughs out of Andy. Happy to pay up.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

feedmyleg posted:

I get way more than $7/month worth of laughs out of Andy. Happy to pay up.

Same. Dude’s been entertaining me for free for like 10+ years, I feel like I owe him a subscription.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
https://youtu.be/qPD6A9k8Rlc

Bless Andy Daly bless him forever

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ldTO4LYIB4

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SpacePig posted:

Stitcher wasn't just an expensive service, it was also a bad app. It probably is also still a bad app. Patreon subscriptions at least give you RSS feeds.

It's wild how bad the app was (is? I haven't opened the app itself in ages since I use those unofficial RSS feeds). Like you think that maybe the complaints are just goon hyperbole but then you try to use it and it's busted on so many levels.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Clea DuVall has quickly ascended the prestigious list of HH guests. Another corker of an episode.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah she quickly shot up to being on of my favorites, but i also already enjoyed her generally so i was predisposed to that.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I think whoever came up with and sent in Theeedom trivia to test the hosts was a great idea, because it also shows how much their conversations are in one ear and out the other

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I ended up using the stitcher premium app because it separated the various flagrant one shows and that proved to be the thing i apparently cared about the most just based on my usage habits. it also helped that i have kept access to the premium shows despite not paying for stitcher for the last two years.

i know you can use an RSS tool to de-aggregate the feeds but it was a little buggy last time i tried and kevin sucks at keeps the naming conventions straight. and overcast won’t let me rename a feed they’re all just showing up as flagrant ones.

all of which is to say i was listening to an HH on stitcher premium when it stopped working and i found out why by looking at the most recent pro version (they are removing the feeds from stitcher premium lol)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
formula ones really makes me want to check out this drive to survive show because im like "wow awful rich people, sounds just like succession"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Shooting of John Dillinger by The FBI is one of the funniest episodes of ADPPP. Vic is a terrific match for Andy and Matt.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I spent all day with a partial song in my head. Kept googling for songs titled eyes. Just barley escaping me.

I found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZruRWlCZgw

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Aubrey Plaza on HH was the best in a while. They have complementary brands.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Aubrey Plaza? I hear she buys her groceries at Jersey Mike's.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Saw that Off Book is ending with episode 300, though they'll still do occasional live episodes. It was one of those shows that I liked the occasional episode of but couldn't listen to every week. Though if anyone is curious about trying it, I highly suggest their early episode with Flula Borg.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I really wish they filmed more, the only one I’ve ever seen is the one on YouTube about the mock trial. It’s so loving good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivf58k53nu0

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I really wish they filmed more, the only one I’ve ever seen is the one on YouTube about the mock trial. It’s so loving good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivf58k53nu0

they have a show on dropout.tv now called Play It By Ear

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
It's also worth watching their episode of Game Changer, also on Dropout, which was basically the genesis for Play It By Ear.

e: Here's the first song, at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbF1AJPqP1M

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 1, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thank you both, I shall be exploring!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thank you both, I shall be exploring!

dropout has an insanely good hit rate for original programming and talent, especially if you can tolerate or even enjoy watching improv and sketch comics play dungeons and dragons

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
When hayes says Bugs Bunny on this week's Flagrant Ones I bust out laughing

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

scary ghost dog posted:

dropout has an insanely good hit rate for original programming and talent, especially if you can tolerate or even enjoy watching improv and sketch comics play dungeons and dragons

I've never heard of this thing before and I'm confused about what it is.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I've never heard of this thing before and I'm confused about what it is.

its a netflix with just original programming from collegehumor

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Collegehumor's Seeso

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

To be more generous to them, Dropout is similar to the CBB-sphere. In short - College Humor for the longest time was a subsidiary of some big corporate entity, and in 2019 they cut them out. Instead of letting it die, the head honcho and longtime writer/performer Sam decided to trudge ahead with a skeleton crew. The vibes are good, and you can tell that's the case, similar to CBB they have a great roster of comedians and folks that regularly appear on the shows.

Would recommend checking out any of these and seeing if they float your boat.

Game Changer, a game show where the game changes most shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT-zZsjwZKk

Total Forgiveness, a contest between two writers to see who can win more money to pay off their student loans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9RoQvbKw7Q

Breaking News, game where performers have to read a news room sketch and aren't supposed to break character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcX_lXP977g

Gods of Food, pretty great parody of Chef's Table
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKwmGL2AuIk

...and the crown jewel is Dimension 20, a dnd show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GX8075fX3k

General sense you get is that they're kind of the generation after CBB's big playground for the LA Comedy scene. Haven't had any breakout successes yet, but they're punching above their weight and have a cozy fiefdom.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
based on which of my friends discuss dropout, id say its cbbworld for the parasocial generation.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Yeah there's no weird parasocial stuff going on with comedy podcasts

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah there's no weird parasocial stuff going on with comedy podcasts

this is on a whole other level, since the performers are much closer in age and circumstance to the audience

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

scary ghost dog posted:

based on which of my friends discuss dropout, id say its cbbworld for the parasocial generation.

Half of CBB World's shows are just Scott talking his opinion about movie and music. It's *plenty* parasocial. They're both effectively troupes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Half of CBB World's shows are just Scott talking his opinion about movie and music. It's *plenty* parasocial. They're both effectively troupes.

sure but scott and his coterie are old and have been successful in the entertainment industry, whereas the dropout crowd are really only recognizable from collegehumor videos. i dont mean to say they are drastically different, just that the dropout demographic is younger and more likely to be twitch.tv subscribers

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Scott's opinions on movies are bad BTW.

I got a free month of Stitcher Premium for doing a survey, does anybody remember what shows are there that are still exclusive and worth grabbing? I already downloaded the entire archives for Neighborhood Listen and Celebrity Sighting, the only two things I could think of that I missed.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

I got a free month of Stitcher Premium for doing a survey, does anybody remember what shows are there that are still exclusive and worth grabbing? I already downloaded the entire archives for Neighborhood Listen and Celebrity Sighting, the only two things I could think of that I missed.

is professor blastoff on there

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

But not surprising, he's always been pretentious about that kind of thing.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

JethroMcB posted:

Have you ever listened to Strictly Business? It was a pretty fun short podcast with Drew Tarver.

I guess theres also Lily’s show Going Deep, although I never listened and don’t know if she’s still doing it.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
It's outside of the CBB community of improvisors, but one of my favorite Stitcher Premium podcasts is Good Morning, Good Morning. It's the hosts of Your Kickstarter Sucks and some of their regular guests playing hosts of a local AM radio station. It's mostly just bits and improv based on radio that's strung together with some really bizarre running plotlines. It's a really goofy show that had me laughing out loud multiple times in each episode.

YKS is one of my favorite podcasts, but I think it's worth giving a shot even if you're not familiar with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

JethroMcB posted:

good morning good morning is the only thing on there i still have my friend who cancelled years ago but still gets premium download for me