Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Government Handjob posted:

We'll be starting Abomination Vaults soon and I'm torn between playing a wit swashbuckler (goblin?) or an animal instinct barbarian (half orc?) focused on punching and grappling.

One of the other players, however, has stated she wants to play a grappling focused monk. Do two grappling characters end up stepping on each other's toes in combat or will we be an unstoppable dream team?

I think the main problem is that neither of you is helping the other to really succeed in this scenario. The upside though is that investing in Athletics doesn't really prevent you from doing other things too, so it shouldn't really be a problem problem.

As was already said, trip is often a superior Athletics action anyway, and doesn't really call for different skill and feat investments to be good at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jarvisi posted:

I would say if you want to be a grappler fighter is probably the easiest way to grab someone because of combat grab. You can grab this with the wrestler archetype too, but fighter still gets a +2 bonus to hit

Once You've got someone grabbed, barbarian does more damage with it of course. And monks are just cool with it. You shouldn't have too much of a problem as long as you guys flank for each other to help each other out

And of course you need to actually hit them and not just bodyslam them all day

The fighter advantage to hit in terms of combat grab is a little odd, just because the progression of skill vs. attack is not in synch; what ends up happpening is that the fighter using combat grab is 'ahead' for two levels at every increase (Expert combat grab at 1, both are expert athletics at 3. Master combat grab at 5, both are Master athletics at 7, the same for Legendary at 13/15). And starting at 8, it's the Barbarian that has +2 over the fighter at any point after the skill increase catches up, thanks to Furious Bully).

The other catch with Combat Grab is that while the Fighter will sometimes more reliably succeed with it (and both the Fighter and a Barb w/ Wrestler archetype do some Strike damage along the way thanks to it), you give up the opportunity to critically succeed at the grapple to do so - and a crit grapple is really good. If Trip is better than Grapple on a regular success, a crit grapple is so much better than a crit trip. The target becomes literally incapable of attacking or casting spells except to attempt to escape.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

We'll be starting Abomination Vaults soon and I'm torn between playing a wit swashbuckler (goblin?) or an animal instinct barbarian (half orc?) focused on punching and grappling.

One of the other players, however, has stated she wants to play a grappling focused monk. Do two grappling characters end up stepping on each other's toes in combat or will we be an unstoppable dream team?

The cover of the book has a ghost on it. I'd think twice before picking something reliant on precision damage (ghosts are immune), but you could maybe make it work.

Rogues and investigators at least get extra skills.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KPC_Mammon posted:

The cover of the book has a ghost on it. I'd think twice before picking something reliant on precision damage (ghosts are immune), but you could maybe make it work.

Rogues and investigators at least get extra skills.

On the other hand… https://2e.aonprd.com/Feats.aspx?ID=3628

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Some tough melee characters are very handy in abomination vaults, the corridors are cramped and the rooms are small. Too many melee can be an issue, make sure you have a few people with reach/ranged options.

On Trips/Grapples. I just finished running Strength of Thousands and I watched every solo fight in the campaign owned comprehensively by a Swashbuckler tripping the bad guys and then when he stood up, he ate up to three Opportunity Attacks from the Swashbuckler, Summoner and Rogue. It was reliable and worked in all fights bar one.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Sad you can't mind weapon a firearm

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Thanks for the input! I'm still getting used to the system and fiddling around with pathbuilder while we're playing through Troubles in Otari with pregens so I have some time to ponder before session 0 and character creation.

Another thing I was wondering about is weapons with the versatile trait like bastard swords. If you have a free hand does it cost an action to adjust your grip for a two handed strike?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Thanks for the input! I'm still getting used to the system and fiddling around with pathbuilder while we're playing through Troubles in Otari with pregens so I have some time to ponder before session 0 and character creation.

Another thing I was wondering about is weapons with the versatile trait like bastard swords. If you have a free hand does it cost an action to adjust your grip for a two handed strike?

Removing a hand is free, adding a hand is an action

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Note that two-handed, versatile, and modular are different. As noted, adding a hand for two-handed is an action, except if you're using something like Dual-Handed Assault. Switching between modular damage types is an action. Picking a damage type for versatile is not an action, and can be done every attack.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Yeah that's a few years of 5e interfering with my limited experience with PF, thanks for the correction and informative replies :)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm playing with two variations on my flying blade/wit swashbuckler based on suggestions and I could use more help.

He's locked into an early rogue archetype, he was a rogue when the APG came out so that's the RP deal. For that, I'm taking sneak attacker and strong arm. I'd like to add ranger for gravity weapon and more range. Either ranger or Acrobat dedication is my next free archetype.

I'm looking at vexing tumble and bleeding finisher as likely class feats for 6 and 8.

The big question is, do I go aerobatics mastery at 7 and Aeromancer at 9? Do I need Aerobatics mastery to be a good aeromancer flyer? I'm really liking the synergy of acrobat dedication, cat fall (from rogue dedication), and flight. Then doubling my range to 60 with ranger dedication will make him a monster of the skies.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 31, 2023

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Is there a rule written somewhere about whether normal arrows fired from a magical bow count as magical for resistances and stuff?

I've been playing some one-shots with other newbies and people who have been away from the game for a while, and while fighting Shadows nobody could remember. The general lack of magic ammunition makes it seem like the bow is all you need, but we couldn't find that written down anywhere.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is there a rule written somewhere about whether normal arrows fired from a magical bow count as magical for resistances and stuff?

I've been playing some one-shots with other newbies and people who have been away from the game for a while, and while fighting Shadows nobody could remember. The general lack of magic ammunition makes it seem like the bow is all you need, but we couldn't find that written down anywhere.

In the D&D 5e Errata, this issue is addressed:

Magic Weapons (p. 140). The section ends with a new paragraph: “If a magic weapon has the ammunition property, ammunition fired from it is considered magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.”

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Not sure how that helps with PF2e though?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I cannot imagine it wouldn't be considered magical. It's an attack from a magic bow.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The bow is the weapon, not the arrow. A good that deals extra damage must impart its magic on the arrow, otherwise it wouldn't work except by bashing enemies with it.

E.g., a bow that does an additional 1d6 fire damage is imparting that fire magic to the arrow.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I feel like you've found a case in the rules where it's fairly intuitive but at the same time, there are gaps in the rules big enough to drive a truck through.

For example, I can't actually find where it says the item gains the traits of the rune upon etching, which is kind of funny. I think it's possible RAW that weapon potency runes do not actually add the magical trait to items they're etched upon, but they do explicitly apply the item bonus.

Resistances say they can specify combinations of damage types or traits. But the text in the bestiaries just say 'non-magical' which is never defined anywhere. Also the Resistances section doesn't use the word "Attack" or "Strike" anywhere, it just refers to damage. And as far as I can see, damages can be typed but don't carry traits. And nothing about resistances says to factor in the traits of the weapon used to make the attack. There's also a difference between the weapon and the attack (since some attacks don't use a weapon).

If damage even can carry a trait, Does the damage of an attack gain all the traits of the weapon that made the strike? Again, doesn't say that anywhere I can find. It would imply damage carries every type a weapon can have which is super weird. 'Reach' damage? 'Goblin' damage? 'Disarm' damage?

To summarize:

1) It's not clear weapons etched with a weapon potency rune technically have the "magical" trait.
2) It's not technically clear that attacks with a weapon cause the attack to gain the traits of the weapon.
3) It's not clear that attacks with "magical" trait automatically override "non-magical" resistance because resistance does not mention the traits of the attack.
4) It's not clear that damage can carry a trait like "magical".
5) Even if it could, it's not clear that attacks with weapons automatically apply all their traits to the damage, similar to #2 above with the attack.

So in short, yes you should just do what makes sense, since there's no magical ammunition you can safely assume they intended for arrows to carry the rune traits applied to the weapon.

bonus: Weaknesses have different language than Resistances, they refer to a 'source' of damage, but nothing about the traits of the source. For example, how can something be weak to silver weapons? Weapons made of silver don't actually have any traits other than "precious", and it does not affect the damage type. Also, all the same vague poo poo applies about what is the 'source' of the damage, is it the attacker, the attack, the weapon, etc...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Not sure how that helps with PF2e though?

Sometimes at 4sm you just forget which thr3ad you are in.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rescue Toaster posted:

bonus: Weaknesses have different language than Resistances, they refer to a 'source' of damage, but nothing about the traits of the source. For example, how can something be weak to silver weapons? Weapons made of silver don't actually have any traits other than "precious", and it does not affect the damage type. Also, all the same vague poo poo applies about what is the 'source' of the damage, is it the attacker, the attack, the weapon, etc...

" If you have a weakness to something that doesn't normally deal damage, such as water silver, you take damage equal to the weakness value when touched or affected by it."

ETA: When are you "touched" by a silver sword? Obviously when actually hit. If I were gming a fight against a werewolf I'd probably give any miss within 3 of its AC a 50/50 chance at otherwise non-damaging contact.

Silver powder in the face would be way more effective though.

Rescue Toaster posted:

I feel like you've found a case in the rules where it's fairly intuitive but at the same time, there are gaps in the rules big enough to drive a truck through.

For example, I can't actually find where it says the item gains the traits of the rune upon etching, which is kind of funny. I think it's possible RAW that weapon potency runes do not actually add the magical trait to items they're etched upon, but they do explicitly apply the item bonus.

Resistances say they can specify combinations of damage types or traits. But the text in the bestiaries just say 'non-magical' which is never defined anywhere. Also the Resistances section doesn't use the word "Attack" or "Strike" anywhere, it just refers to damage. And as far as I can see, damages can be typed but don't carry traits. And nothing about resistances says to factor in the traits of the weapon used to make the attack. There's also a difference between the weapon and the attack (since some attacks don't use a weapon).

If damage even can carry a trait, Does the damage of an attack gain all the traits of the weapon that made the strike? Again, doesn't say that anywhere I can find. It would imply damage carries every type a weapon can have which is super weird. 'Reach' damage? 'Goblin' damage? 'Disarm' damage?

To summarize:

1) It's not clear weapons etched with a weapon potency rune technically have the "magical" trait.
2) It's not technically clear that attacks with a weapon cause the attack to gain the traits of the weapon.
3) It's not clear that attacks with "magical" trait automatically override "non-magical" resistance because resistance does not mention the traits of the attack.
4) It's not clear that damage can carry a trait like "magical".
5) Even if it could, it's not clear that attacks with weapons automatically apply all their traits to the damage, similar to #2 above with the attack.

So in short, yes you should just do what makes sense, since there's no magical ammunition you can safely assume they intended for arrows to carry the rune traits applied to the weapon.

I think the rest of this is also in the rules but it might take a bit to tease out.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 1, 2023

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Adding a fundamental rune makes it a Magic Weapon, which has the magical trait.

According to the Damage Rules we see that a magical weapon (like a +1 mace, ie a Magic Weapon) deals magical damage of its type

quote:

If you have resistance to a type of damage, each time you take that type of damage, you reduce the amount of damage you take by the listed amount (to a minimum of 0 damage). Resistance can specify combinations of damage types or other traits. For instance, you might encounter a monster that’s resistant to non-magical bludgeoning damage, meaning it would take less damage from bludgeoning attacks that weren’t magical, but would take normal damage from your +1 mace (since it’s magical) or a non-magical spear (since it deals piercing damage). A resistance also might have an exception. For example, resistance 10 to physical damage (except silver) would reduce any physical damage by 10 unless that damage was dealt by a silver weapon.

Arrows are listed as ammunition, not weapons, and aren't what is technically doing the damage (they don't have a listed damage amount). The Shortbow (or whatever) is what is doing the damage, and if it is a magical weapon it is doing magical damage.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=733

"Rune-etched armor and weapons have the same Bulk and general characteristics as the non-magical version unless noted otherwise."

That means yes, the runes make the weapon magical.

E: The answer above is better

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Piell posted:

Adding a fundamental rune makes it a Magic Weapon, which has the magical trait.

According to the Damage Rules we see that a magical weapon (like a +1 mace, ie a Magic Weapon) deals magical damage of its type

Arrows are listed as ammunition, not weapons, and aren't what is technically doing the damage (they don't have a listed damage amount). The Shortbow (or whatever) is what is doing the damage, and if it is a magical weapon it is doing magical damage.

I mean I don't think you're wrong. As I'm learning the pf2e rules I'm getting annoyed by the things that are referenced in only one direction, if you will. I can't find anything about the potency rune or etching process says it becomes a "Magical Weapon". Clearly based on this it does, assuming you know specifically to search for Magical Weapon instead of looking anywhere in the runes or crafting. Just annoying to me.

I still think it's vague about weapons and attacks and damage and what is actually carrying the trait that affects the resistance/weakness. You yourself say 'if it is a magical weapon it is doing magical damage.' Please define 'magical damage'. Are you implying that magic damage is a type? Or are you implying that damage can carry a literal trait? Or is it that the attack that carries the trait? Do weapons always imbue all their traits to the attack, and the attack always imbues all its traits to the damage? Where does it say this?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rescue Toaster posted:

I mean I don't think you're wrong. As I'm learning the pf2e rules I'm getting annoyed by the things that are referenced in only one direction, if you will.

This is basically the entire design philosophy, sorry!

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Facebook Aunt posted:

The 1e rules are explicit on it, at least.

"Ranged Weapons and Ammunition: The enhancement bonus from a ranged weapon does not stack with the enhancement bonus from ammunition. Only the higher of the two enhancement bonuses applies.

Ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an enhancement bonus of +1 or higher is treated as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. Similarly, ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an alignment gains the alignment of that projectile weapon."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rescue Toaster posted:

I mean I don't think you're wrong. As I'm learning the pf2e rules I'm getting annoyed by the things that are referenced in only one direction, if you will. I can't find anything about the potency rune or etching process says it becomes a "Magical Weapon". Clearly based on this it does, assuming you know specifically to search for Magical Weapon instead of looking anywhere in the runes or crafting. Just annoying to me.
According to page 580-581 in the Core Rulebook says:

quote:

Four fundamental runes produce the most essential magic
of protection and destruction: armor potency and resilient
runes for armor, and weapon potency and striking runes for
weapons. A potency rune is what makes a weapon a magic
weapon (page 599)
or armor magic armor (page 556).

quote:

I still think it's vague about weapons and attacks and damage and what is actually carrying the trait that affects the resistance/weakness. You yourself say 'if it is a magical weapon it is doing magical damage.' Please define 'magical damage'.
Per page 452 of the Core Rulebook:

quote:

Ghosts and other incorporeal creatures have a high
resistance to physical attacks that aren’t magical (attacks
that lack the magical trait).
Furthermore, most incorporeal
creatures have additional, though lower, resistance to
magical physical damage (such as damage dealt from a
mace with the magical trait) and most other damage types
This is the clearest I could find on short notice but implies that if the attack comes from a source that has the Magical trait, then it is therefore Magical damage. Other types on the page including Poison, Alignment, Bleed, etc. do not specify magical or non-magical, and the section on Energy Damage simply makes note of types of Energy and not source.

quote:

Are you implying that magic damage is a type?
If the source has the magical trait, then yes.

quote:

Or are you implying that damage can carry a literal trait?
It essentially does, even if it is not formally declared as such. Damage from a lightning bolt has traits that are different from those of an Acid Spray.

quote:

Or is it that the attack that carries the trait?
The source emanating the damage does, Emanating in this case defined as "To flow out or issue; proceed, as from a source or origin; come or go forth" which would qualify for magical spells, blunt force trauma (e.g: kinetic energy flowing out from potential energy of say, a hammer's swing), or ammunition that passes through a magical weapon.

quote:

Do weapons always imbue all their traits to the attack, and the attack always imbues all its traits to the damage?
Yes.

quote:

Where does it say this?
Wherever the damage listing in a stat block, spell description, item description, weapon description, etc. says.

This is derived from the understanding of one of the common, intended paths for resolution of conflict (e.g: combat) and a transitive extrapolation of how damage works from weaponry we have real world reference for (see: the hammer swing in the paragraphs above), with clear exceptions delineated where relevant.

For the case of Magical Ammunition-- between the way ammunition is described to have unique magical properties decoupled from its source of emanation-- p. 80-83 of the 2nd Edition Treasure Vault or p. 168-171 in 2nd Guns & Gears with the Magical Trait; the way Spellshot, Beast Gunner, and Eldritch Archer are Archetypes described to have unique effects on ammunition with abilities that have the Magical Trait on p. 140-141 and p. 130-131 of Guns & Gears and p. 172-173 of the Advanced Player's Guide; descriptions of Runes imbuing Weapons with the Magical Trait (p. 580-581, Core Rulebook) and the way that ranged weapons across all sources lack the Magical Trait, we can infer that the intended ruleset is to treat regular ammunition gains the Magical Trait when used via a source that possesses the Magical Trait, but does not otherwise.

Now I could just be really off-base on all of this as I'm pretty new to PF2e specifically, but based on my understanding TTRPGs and referencing these sources, this seems to be the designed intent. Of course it could always be ruled elsewise, as is the prerogative of any GM for any reason.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have nothing to add to the current discussion I just think it's really funny this thread became roughly 300% more active after the OGL debacle

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

A classic WotC own goal.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Brand entropy only gets so far and in the real world the Red Ampersand isn't cool, it's just stylish

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Magical attacks are very funny with golems

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Golems and Attack Spells are a really interesting wording case. Their weakness triggers when targeted with the spell, not when they are hit by the spell. I’ve never seen a clarification about this so if you have the right cantrip, you can consistently burn a Golem down even if you are missing all the time.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

HidaO-Win posted:

Golems and Attack Spells are a really interesting wording case. Their weakness triggers when targeted with the spell, not when they are hit by the spell. I’ve never seen a clarification about this so if you have the right cantrip, you can consistently burn a Golem down even if you are missing all the time.

But looking through them, the spells they are vulnerable to aren't cantrips?

vvvv: I see, the golem antimagic. Really weird that effect doesn't have a basic save or require a spell attack to hit.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 2, 2023

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Rescue Toaster posted:

But looking through them, the spells they are vulnerable to aren't cantrips?

they are vulnerable to magical damage types. if you target a clay golem with a ray of frost you deal 5d10 damage.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I have nothing to add to the current discussion I just think it's really funny this thread became roughly 300% more active after the OGL debacle

The mix of the drama plus all the sales made it a great time to dive into it. I don't know if I'd have finally made the leap without the sales.

Thankfully we did and everyone seems to be enjoying it. The Beginner Box and Abomination Vaults also let me finally dip into foundry and get my group to try it out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
second tpk in the beginner box, same group

they lined themselves up in such a way that the dragon doing the most baldfaced obvious move of breathing on the fighter in its face got three out of four of them. (i wasn't even trying, i just put the template up and when it was straight on it seriously just got them all) i'd just emphasized hero points, so the fighter used one when he rolled a crit fail on his reflex save. the reroll was ALSO a crit fail.

honestly everyone seemed to be having a good time and two people ran away and it was just kind of collectively "okay alchemist is REALLY fiddly" and "mastermind rogue does not work the way I want it to" so everyone's rerolling and we're just going to abomination vaults with level 2 characters lol

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Doesn't the beginner box say to use it explicitly badly though?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cyouni posted:

Doesn't the beginner box say to use it explicitly badly though?

That's what I mean, I did what it said to do and still hit 3 people.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Been there. No matter how obvious it is that something will use a breath weapon in a cone, no matter how experienced the players are, they'll still panic and line up like ducks because "I'm thinking about how being here will make the next round better."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Are Recall Knowledge checks supposed to be secret?

I was reading various posts about RK in general, and a lot of them say it's supposed to be, but even the ones that apparently quote the rules didn't match what's in my particular rulebook (or AoN). Did they update the rules at some point, or am I missing something?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

3 Action Economist posted:

Are Recall Knowledge checks supposed to be secret?

I was reading various posts about RK in general, and a lot of them say it's supposed to be, but even the ones that apparently quote the rules didn't match what's in my particular rulebook (or AoN). Did they update the rules at some point, or am I missing something?
In AoN it has the secret tag here, so they must be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oh right, tags. I always forget about tags.

The wording "you attempt a skill check" implies the player rolling, which is what confused me.