Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It barely adds more games to the schedule and repurposes some meaningless and usually bad November games so it sounds cool to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am genuinely perplexed at what the point is for an in-season tournament, but it seems like it would be a funny thing to make fun of a crappy team for winning and then putting up a banner.

I think the point is to try to make the earlier games count for something, since the season can be such a slog and the regularly scheduled games are going to be part of the tournament.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Thinking of how many in-season tournaments the Lowry-Derozan Raptors would have won, and wondering if that would’ve prevented Ujiri from making the trade for Kawhi.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dokmo posted:

i wonder if the game minimum is an attempt to curtail load managementing the name players.

it should be called the kawhi rule

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

dismissing the entire idea of the tournament until the bulls one day win it and i buy a Chicago Bulls 2029 KIA CUP CHAMPIONS t-shirt

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

People thought the playin was dumb but look at the west this season because of it

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
I like it, can you imagine winning and being able to shout "In-season tournament champs BITCH" at someone else?? What a flex!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

nikosoft posted:

I like it, can you imagine winning and being able to shout "In-season tournament champs BITCH" at someone else?? What a flex!!

pat beverly is probably already doing this somehow

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

nikosoft posted:

It’s an unholy mix of fandom pride and shame, perfect for modern sports.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Rad Valtar posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the goal at some point and this is just the start.
Yeah, I rarely give the league credit on longterm thinking but I'm seeing the bigger deal here as the changes to the scheduling infrastructure - enabling flex games, adding games to the regular season, etc.

I expect momentum to grow quickly for a lottery tournament using the pool+flex structure, and possibly doling out guaranteed playin spots based on results too. I don't know that I love the idea, but by 2030 I could see:

Naismith Cup
Top 8 teams from pool play
Winners receive $1m each
Winners and runners up receive guaranteed playin berths (berths returned to the conference(s) if the teams qualify by record)

Stern Cup
Teams 9-16 from pool play
Winners receive guaranteed playin berth and $500k each (berth returned to the conference if the team qualifies by record)

Golden Ball Tournament
Teams 17-24 from pool play
Winners receive top-3 odds in the coming lottery.

Lottery odds would still be based on the final records (bumped back 1 slot as needed to accommodate the Golden Ball winners) - which is to say a team could win their way into the playin and also win the lottery. Conversely, if a playoff team wins the Golden Ball tournament one team could both miss the playoffs and the lottery.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

put her in the g league

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Porfiriato posted:

I'm trying to figure out where the demand for this in-season tournament is coming from. It's not like fans are clamoring for it, so why the push to make it happen?

Also can't wait for some team to get hot early, make the tournament, and then cool off and miss the playoffs by a hairs-breadth because they had to play an extra couple games against the Bucks/Warriors/whoever relative to their opponents. It could have very well happened in the West this year.

This literally can't happen. The most losses you can take in the tournament is 1, it's a single elimination. If your playing multiple games against tournament opponents its because you're winning games.

slave to my cravings posted:

It sounds fun why do you bozos hate fun

Agree, its an interesting thing that is adding 1 extra game potentially for a whopping 2 teams. The same arguments against it were made against the play-in tournament, and the play-in has been great.

Try it, it sounds fun. If it stinks then it stinks. Doesn't hurt anything and your just replacing regular season games of which there are way too many.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

i wonder if the game minimum is an attempt to curtail load managementing the name players.

It absolutely is.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
65 games seems a little too high to me but I wonder who would have been impacted by that in the past? Ja Morant MIP? (I don't know if MIP is one of the awards that requires it).

I really like the higher extension limits. That fixes a rule that I thought just didn't make any sense.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm fine with the tournament. I understand that most people don't care about the NBA in December, so eh.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i care about the NBA everyday

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

verbal enema posted:

i care about the NBA everyday

Oh I wasn't talking about you. You and me are special.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Simply market your league better instead of create a gimmick tournament no one knows why it should matter

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

R.D. Mangles posted:

pat beverly is probably already doing this somehow

Pat Bev will be the first In-season tournament MVP. I am asking, believing, and receiving.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
g league semi finals are tomorrow at 8 eastern if anyone cares about such things. no series, they're single games. finals tuesday.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

qbert posted:

Oh I wasn't talking about you. You and me are special.

oh ok cool

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

nikosoft posted:

Kind of incredible considering the depth and talent that's out there now.

Not a hot take, but women's college basketball nowadays is a better and more enjoyable experience than watching the men frantically chuck shots every possession.

Not a hot take. You are right. Women's college basketball is super fun.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

g league semi finals are tomorrow at 8 eastern if anyone cares about such things. no series, they're single games. finals tuesday.

Thanks! I keep meaning to watch more g league but my SO would rather I spend that time with her. 😅

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Strawberry Panda posted:

Not a hot take. You are right. Women's college basketball is super fun.

you put any major sports game on my mom will watch it
you put on any college sports my mom just turns to dust and cannot care

womens college basketball? loves it

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't watch much NCAA for either men's or women's but are the coaches in women's better than the men's? As in, more modern schemes, more inventive plays, less over coaching, etc.?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kibner posted:

I don't watch much NCAA for either men's or women's but are the coaches in women's better than the men's? As in, more modern schemes, more inventive plays, less over coaching, etc.?

idk bout that but they got mad swag

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ric Flair drip, go "woo" on a bitch (woo)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

People thought the playin was dumb but look at the west this season because of it

Meanwhile in the NHL the playoff teams are basically set by Thanksgiving and have been for all the non COVID seasons, sometimes even down to the seeding. If it weren’t for Other Things people would be complaining a lot more about that

ETA: also that in season tournament is gonna be exclusively G-league and 13th man types for whom the 500k will really matter no?

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 1, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Isentropy posted:

ETA: also that in season tournament is gonna be exclusively G-league and 13th man types for whom the 500k will really matter no?
Nope, specifically to avoid this outcome the inseason games will all count towards the regular season record. Rather than adding a bunch of "who gives a poo poo?" games to the schedule, they're taking normal games and making some of them special*

The interesting dynamic here is that while $500k may not matter a ton to your highest earning players, any team that has accepted friendship ball into their hearts will be thrilled to get their two-way and 13th man types paid the gently caress out.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The mid season tournament feels like it is designed to get viewers who normally only watch the NBA after NFL season is over. I don’t think it will work outside of maybe the final four/final.

Does this mean teams don’t have 41 regular season home games now? If the games count for the regular season records, how does that impact schedules? You can’t plan complete regular season schedules now because you won’t know the opponents in every game due to the tournament.

I hope the tournament is seeded league wide and not by conference.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 1, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paracaidas posted:

Nope, specifically to avoid this outcome the inseason games will all count towards the regular season record. Rather than adding a bunch of "who gives a poo poo?" games to the schedule, they're taking normal games and making some of them special*

The interesting dynamic here is that while $500k may not matter a ton to your highest earning players, any team that has accepted friendship ball into their hearts will be thrilled to get their two-way and 13th man types paid the gently caress out.

yeah 500k will extremely help the back of the bench guys making like anything less than 5 million. Which are a number of NBA players.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

The mid season tournament feels like it is designed to get viewers who normally only watch the NBA after NFL season is over. I don’t think it will work outside of maybe the final four/final.

Does this mean teams don’t have 41 regular season home games now? If the games count for the regular season records, how does that impact schedules? You can’t plan complete regular season schedules now because you won’t know the opponents in every game due to the tournament.

I hope the tournament is seeded league wide and not by conference.

You play pool games which I assume will be evenly split among Home/Away. As far as I know the tournaments will be played at local stadiums and the flex games would probably try to balance it out. The final tourny game (which will bring you up to 83 games) will be extra though, so yeah 1 team every year with have 42 home games and 1 team will have 42 away but all should have at least 41 of both.

You can schedule 80 of the 82 games for everyone (including Pool), so you'd have 2 question mark games which isn't a big deal. NBA should probably flex schedule more anyway.

Keep in mind a tournament is only 8 teams, which is only 3 rounds (7 games total). It's a really small tournament.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LeBron wouldn’t pay for pandora $500k will look
enticing to him

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jordan Poole looks at it like another date opportunity

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

It barely adds more games to the schedule and repurposes some meaningless and usually bad November games so it sounds cool to me

Same here

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Spacebump posted:

The league's hope seems to be threefold:
  • Fans of all teams will have a slightly greater reason to watch a few more random regular games
  • Fans of teams on the bubble will care more about their last few pool games
  • By working with media partners to make a big deal of the final ("Seven million dollars on the line"), the league will draw more eyes at the end of the regular season and be able to promote playin and first round playoff matchups before the slog of a postseason begins.
If the Semis and Finals can draw anywhere near ASG ratings (and that should be feasible) the league will see this as a rousing success.

Spacebump posted:

Every team will have an 80 game schedule with 2 "flex games" to be determined after the top 8 teams have been selected. I haven't played through on if it'd be possible to guarantee exactly 1 home game from the flex games to each team.

I know for MLB, teams have latitude in how to handle "jewel event"/neutral site games for Season Ticket Holders... the Twins gave STH extra "flex" vouchers that could be redeemed for any (non opening day) game during the season so as to not refund for missing games when they played in PR. On the other hand, sounds like the Padres refunded their games in Mexico against the Giants this year.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Just the fact that it’ll be mid-season games between top teams where both teams will actually be playing all their starters makes it pretty enticing.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Dwyanye Wade doesnt deserve HOF. The nba rewarded his tactic of running into defenders for years. Low skill low morals player. If anything his career should be erased from official records

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

"The final four will be held at a neutral site"

Y'all suck at reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lockback posted:

65 games seems a little too high to me but I wonder who would have been impacted by that in the past? Ja Morant MIP? (I don't know if MIP is one of the awards that requires it).

I really like the higher extension limits. That fixes a rule that I thought just didn't make any sense.
If you go by percentage of games played than Embiid would have been ineligible in 2020-21 when he finished 2nd in MVP voting.

If you go by All-NBA than last year Morant, Durant, Curry and LeBron would have been ineligible, while Giannis, Doncic, Booker, Embiid, Paul and Siakam just barely make the cut. Just 5 of the 15 All-NBA players from last year played 70 games or more.