Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ok, labyrinth clear! got some trigger word of grave thing on my gloves on second enchant, guess I'll see what that does soon.

at some point during the whole run my spectre had died and I totally did not notice it until afterwards, heh. only close call at all was being lazy around the big choppers on the narrow bridge path, those took out a big chunk of HP and did what I assume was bleed.

I have like, way too much loot to sort now. also need to figure out where to put the 2 ascendancy points in necro.

edit: commander of darkness very appealing for hardcore with the elem resist bonus, I'd easily cap them out.

pmchem fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

man with the way the league mechanic works, Vortex/Creeping Frost/Vaal Cold Snap looks perfect for it

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I just worry that this league will gently caress up bow builds cause of how scary the league mobs look

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Can you just channel cyclone and never lose the effect of new lightpoacher? Or did they ever change that thing where only the start of the channel counts as the use?

Would be the boringest build of all time but probably heaps of damage.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Nope, still the case where only the initial button press of a channeled skill counts as using it.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Science has surely gone too far when general's cry stops being the boringest build.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pmchem posted:

ok, labyrinth clear! got some trigger word of grave thing on my gloves on second enchant, guess I'll see what that does soon.

at some point during the whole run my spectre had died and I totally did not notice it until afterwards, heh. only close call at all was being lazy around the big choppers on the narrow bridge path, those took out a big chunk of HP and did what I assume was bleed.

I have like, way too much loot to sort now. also need to figure out where to put the 2 ascendancy points in necro.

edit: commander of darkness very appealing for hardcore with the elem resist bonus, I'd easily cap them out.

going for commander of darkness is fine. you can technically change your ascendancy choices later if you really want to, and you're going to be taking permanent penalties to all elemental resistances at the end of acts 5 and 10 (for plot reasons, think of it like the changes between difficulties in diablo 2 if you've played that).

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I haven't played since Scourge (so right before Siege of the Atlas), but I'm thinking of coming back for this league. Anyone willing to do an effort post on the big changes?
I hopped into standard to mess around a bit and it looks like:
1. The Atlas Passives got replaced by a whole tree, seems self-explanatory.
2. They deleted my girl Navali (RIP)
3. Archnemesis mods are a big thing?
4. Kirac quests are a thing?

I'm sure I'm missing other stuff too. Doesn't look like they ever did a pass on other acts like they did with 1+2 (or at least nothing I noticed on the level of moving Brutus).

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thinking of league starting some on hit chaos damage pathfinder that doesnt focus on poison damage and hits fast enough so that pretty much means toxic rain right?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
How are people feeling about the breach and abyss changes? I haven't ever atlas spec'ed into either so kinda tempted to try them out but idk

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Papercut posted:

How are people feeling about the breach and abyss changes? I haven't ever atlas spec'ed into either so kinda tempted to try them out but idk

abyss gave so much XP I hit 98 in kalandra, noted loved league, should be even better now

I don't like breach because lmao picking up splinters

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thinking of league starting some on hit chaos damage pathfinder that doesnt focus on poison damage and hits fast enough so that pretty much means toxic rain right?

I hated the way toxic played enough that I stopped playing it, maybe it feels better with established gear

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Leatherhead posted:

I haven't played since Scourge (so right before Siege of the Atlas), but I'm thinking of coming back for this league. Anyone willing to do an effort post on the big changes?
I hopped into standard to mess around a bit and it looks like:
1. The Atlas Passives got replaced by a whole tree, seems self-explanatory.
2. They deleted my girl Navali (RIP)
3. Archnemesis mods are a big thing?
4. Kirac quests are a thing?

I'm sure I'm missing other stuff too. Doesn't look like they ever did a pass on other acts like they did with 1+2 (or at least nothing I noticed on the level of moving Brutus).

1. Self-explanatory and awesome
2. Cadiro is also gone
3. Kinda. tl;dr - Archnemesis replaced all the old Bloodline + Nemesis mods in Lake of Kalandra, but they way they did it meant that you could get some harder-than-pinnacle-boss rares (example) and there was also loot conversion behind some of the mods, which meant that they added loot goblins into the game, which most people hated. They've since pared down the amount/type of mods monsters can get and made the loot conversion more hidden so that the rewards are more random and not "this monster has this one mod, time to hire a magic find-stacking culler on TFT for a 50 divine drop" (only slightly exaggerating there)
4. Instead of Zana's quest lines leading you to Shaper/Elder/Maven and serving as the map master, you Kirac takes her place and his quest lines lead you to Maven and two other Pinnacle bosses.

No other story act revamps

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
The way the subreddit somehow gets worse every single league, without fail, is honestly fascinating at this point.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

InventorOfTrees posted:

The way the subreddit somehow gets worse every single league, without fail, is honestly fascinating at this point.

it is catastrophically bad

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
it's all of reddit

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

whypick1 posted:

1. Self-explanatory and awesome
2. Cadiro is also gone
3. Kinda. tl;dr - Archnemesis replaced all the old Bloodline + Nemesis mods in Lake of Kalandra, but they way they did it meant that you could get some harder-than-pinnacle-boss rares (example) and there was also loot conversion behind some of the mods, which meant that they added loot goblins into the game, which most people hated. They've since pared down the amount/type of mods monsters can get and made the loot conversion more hidden so that the rewards are more random and not "this monster has this one mod, time to hire a magic find-stacking culler on TFT for a 50 divine drop" (only slightly exaggerating there)
4. Instead of Zana's quest lines leading you to Shaper/Elder/Maven and serving as the map master, you Kirac takes her place and his quest lines lead you to Maven and two other Pinnacle bosses.

No other story act revamps

Thanks! Poking around a little more it looks like voidstones are the new watchstones - are the conquerors gone? Does Maven work like she used to (collecting bosses) or is she just a conqueror equivalent now, and you get to her by doing maps?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
//r/pathofexilebuilds is a good alternative to the main sub, it feels like everyone there actually enjoys playing the game

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

victrix posted:

I hated the way toxic played enough that I stopped playing it, maybe it feels better with established gear
a lot of the arrow skills that fly up, then come down in an aoe, don't feel good to me. I think it's the delay and the need to stand still and in melee for bossing or the dps feels bad. which at that point, might as well play melee lol

caustic arrow + asenath's gentle touch looks so satisfying for clear as a second 6-link however

Zmej fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 1, 2023

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

goferchan posted:

//r/pathofexilebuilds is a good alternative to the main sub, it feels like everyone there actually enjoys playing the game

I actually agree - this sub owns. I'm reluctant to tell people about it though, out of fear it will become as bad as the main sub. There is really good build discussion/advice there, and people are generally knowledgable and not complete twats.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Leatherhead posted:

Thanks! Poking around a little more it looks like voidstones are the new watchstones - are the conquerors gone? Does Maven work like she used to (collecting bosses) or is she just a conqueror equivalent now, and you get to her by doing maps?

Conquerors/Sirus are still there, but they have nothing to do with getting the Voidstones (acquired by defeating Uber Elder, Maven and the 2 new Pinnacle bosses). Still have the boss witnessing and Invitations with Maven, but joining her are the Eater of Worlds and the Searing Exarch. Running a map under their influence (you can only run non-unique maps under Maven, Eater or Exarch influence, but that can be on top of the map's inherent Shaper/Elder/Conqueror influence) which adds their monsters and altars that give the the choice of two risk/rewards to add to the map (i.e. minions have a 1% chance to drop a Divine but steal flask charges from you on hit) and increment a counter. After 14 maps the map boss drops an invite for their sub-boss (one of which is absolutely the worst fight in the game no exaggeration), then 28 an invite for the Pinnacle boss itself. Eater/Exarch also introduce new crafting methods, as you can add an implicit from each of their pools to a non-influenced bit of gear and do some metacrafting based on that.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 1, 2023

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Conquerors/Sirus are still there, but they have nothing to do with getting the Voidstones (acquired by defeating Uber Elder, Maven and the 2 new Pinnacle bosses). Still have the boss witnessing and Invitations with Maven, but joining her are the Eater of Worlds and the Searing Exarch. Running a map under their influence (you can only run non-unique maps under Maven, Eater or Exarch influence, but that can be on top of the map's inherent Shaper/Elder/Conqueror influence) which adds their monsters and altars that give the the choice of two risk/rewards to add to the map (i.e. minions have a 1% chance to drop a Divine but steal flask charges from you on hit) and increment a counter. After 14 maps the map boss drops an invite for their sub-boss (one of which is absolutely the worst fight in the game no exaggeration), then 28 an invite for the Pinnacle boss itself. Eater/Exarch also introduce new crafting methods, as you can add an implicit from each of their pools to a non-influenced bit of gear and do some metacrafting based on that.

Woof. Time to watch some youtube videos I guess. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Leatherhead posted:

Woof. Time to watch some youtube videos I guess. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

There's a questline leading up to both boss fights and it's reasonably straight-forward as long as you remember to pick one of the influences in the map device.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Seems like a good a time as any to re-post this classic:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ho ho ho, Piety round 2 wasn't something I expected. But she went down, again. Amusing.

one nitpick I have with the maps, especially stuff in act 3/4 like belly of the beast, is that you likely have to do a ton of backtracking if you want to do a full clear. I prefer to full clear levels. But on belly of the beast levels 1/2, I gave up, because I would've had to backtrack loop so far just to reach the exit again. I hope there isn't anything interesting elsewhere on those levels. On most angband variant roguelikes, backtracking isn't a problem at all -- the levels are highly interconnected with few dead ends, and where there are dead ends, you can tunnel through the stone to a connecting area.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pmchem posted:

ho ho ho, Piety round 2 wasn't something I expected. But she went down, again. Amusing.

one nitpick I have with the maps, especially stuff in act 3/4 like belly of the beast, is that you likely have to do a ton of backtracking if you want to do a full clear. I prefer to full clear levels. But on belly of the beast levels 1/2, I gave up, because I would've had to backtrack loop so far just to reach the exit again. I hope there isn't anything interesting elsewhere on those levels. On most angband variant roguelikes, backtracking isn't a problem at all -- the levels are highly interconnected with few dead ends, and where there are dead ends, you can tunnel through the stone to a connecting area.

If you need to full clear something the game will make it obvious. You definitely don’t need to worry about it while levelling through the campaign.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Leatherhead posted:

It sounds confusing but its actually 100% simpler than the Conquerors ever were. No more worrying about spawning the right boss in the right region, for instance. The first couple pinnacle bosses/voidstones in particular only care about map tier and are super easy to unlock.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
As someone who never plays bow builds, something is slightly appealing about Snipe and Manaforged Arrows. Not really sure what skills would be good with them. I may just start it and wing it, trying different gems out. It's not like my starting builds are ever good anyhow.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I think Manaforged has some potential for people who know how to make builds (aka, not me) will do some real interesting stuff.

Or maybe it'll end up like Link skills and suck.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Toxic rain triggering caustic arrow with manbond should be good for leveling.

Traditionally snipe was used for giant bleeds on bosses but people should be able to get more uses out of it being so much more accessible.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I want to play a build where weapon DPS matters for the first time in a while. I am thinking Boneshatter Slayer with the option to respec into Static Strike / Shockwave later on if currency allows. Any other options I should consider? No lightning strike as I did that a couple leagues ago.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Is RF something that could do well this league? That's one of the builds I haven't played yet but have been meaning to at some point.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

frajaq posted:

man with the way the league mechanic works, Vortex/Creeping Frost/Vaal Cold Snap looks perfect for it

yeah, it looks very ultimatum 2.0. i played cold dot that league and it melted all the content (heh)

J
Jun 10, 2001

Clocks posted:

Is RF something that could do well this league? That's one of the builds I haven't played yet but have been meaning to at some point.

RF should be a totally fine pick this league. The crucible in-map encounters have a choose your own difficulty element to it, so while I think RF might struggle damage-wise with max difficulty crucible fights, you can just not channel it for that long. I'm sure pohx has probably already done a writeup of how this patch impacts RF for better or worse.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
id recommend picking up an assailum and playing around with Snipe because it's fairly clunky to use in practice. thats why even though theoretically its a great boss killer with bleed or ignite, it's generally not that good to play around with anymore.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

J posted:

RF should be a totally fine pick this league. The crucible in-map encounters have a choose your own difficulty element to it, so while I think RF might struggle damage-wise with max difficulty crucible fights, you can just not channel it for that long. I'm sure pohx has probably already done a writeup of how this patch impacts RF for better or worse.

Not written yet, but he does have a video

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I’m still not convinced that Heatshiver isn’t going to eat a stealth nerf. I just got that feelin in my gut that there’s pages of unreleased numerical tweaks

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Clocks posted:

RF should be insanely easy to start this league, the early regeneration options are so much better. It's probably fine for the league mechanic but who knows.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Clocks posted:

This is a stand in the circle and survive league, rf is built for this poo poo. I'm leaning heavily to double scepter rf jugg in order to maximize the mechanic power with the new trees

edit: and yeah early recovery has been mega buffed with the uncapped fire res -> regen mastery

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

wemgo posted:

I’m still not convinced that Heatshiver isn’t going to eat a stealth nerf. I just got that feelin in my gut that there’s pages of unreleased numerical tweaks

Drop rate nerf will be the only thing I'd be worried about tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

wemgo posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they moved it up a couple rarity tiers