Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah either I didn't see what my lying eyes thought they saw or there's something going on with inflicting stagger points. It does piddly damage to beasts of nurgle and plague ogryns in the Psykharium. OK damage to a traitor captain's shield but not as good as warp sword strokes or BB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I zapped a Plague Ogryn on a Damnation run with a very much not optimized Surge staff and the trick is you need a full charge and to finish the channel. It's the final tick that does most of the damage. It's a decent chunk, you contribute meaningfully to killing it imo. Anecdotal of course, and we also had a Hellbores Lasgun Vet who was doing work.

Also after a lot of playing with the Illisi Force Sword (cleave version) it's literally just the bull butcher cleave except you have a way to kill hard targets lol. The force attack is great for mixed hordes but anything that's melee chaff just dies to spamming light attacks very quickly. Bonus points if you have Slaughterer. Feels really nice.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I can't go back to Obscurus. I miss the cool single target warp strike but Illisi covers the Surge's mediocrity at horde work so well. And if there are too many heavy targets for the Illisi that's what the Surge CC is for. Feels great together.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I haven't taken Illisi or surges on a real mission yet but Deimos feels amazing to me, with void/trauma/purge I got horde control taken care of and I have way more trouble with 3 guys chaining attacks together compared to 30, which a facestabber with infinite dodges is great at dealing with quickly, plus the heavy does so much damage it can 1 shot a mutant.

Obscurus with it's wet noodle vanguard slaps is dead to me though.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I haven't taken Illisi or surges on a real mission yet but Deimos feels amazing to me, with void/trauma/purge I got horde control taken care of and I have way more trouble with 3 guys chaining attacks together compared to 30, which a facestabber with infinite dodges is great at dealing with quickly, plus the heavy does so much damage it can 1 shot a mutant.

Obscurus with it's wet noodle vanguard slaps is dead to me though.

I've been experimenting with melee psyker using Illisi. It feels very good. It doesn't do anything a more optimal build wouldn't do better but it feels fun to play and seems Damnation viable.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 1, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I assumed I wanted +5% critical on my surge because it seemed like stacking critical bonuses was a good idea - someone else is telling me crit rate is a trap (absent strong effects that proc on crit) and getting +25% damage vs [thing] would do me better. ???

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
If I haven't played this since launch is there anything I need to know? Anything worthwhile change? Anything even noticable?

edit: by "this" I mean darktide

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
High Intensity Gauntlet on the cryorod finale, and I'm saying on the elevator downstairs "I think we should take it slow, and stay together"

We all agree, and immediately after the button is pressed, one of the priests is launched into the stratosphere by three back to back poxbursters juggling him between each other as he's surfing into no-man's land.

Well i tried

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

If I haven't played this since launch is there anything I need to know? Anything worthwhile change? Anything even noticable?

edit: by "this" I mean darktide

I mean the basic game is still identical but there have been a lot of little improvements. Network is more stable*, weapons are more balanced**, and there are number of significant QOL improvements both in general and in the endgame (where the new goal is basically Pokemon but with weapon blessings.) There are several many new weapons. That being said, it's still the same game; if you were looking forward to major play shakeups like new levels and new characters, that hasn't happened yet.

*For some people. There definitely are still gremlins in the code that makes some people's play experience much wonkier than others.
**Note: note completely balanced, just more balanced.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Mendrian posted:

I mean the basic game is still identical but there have been a lot of little improvements. Network is more stable*, weapons are more balanced**, and there are number of significant QOL improvements both in general and in the endgame (where the new goal is basically Pokemon but with weapon blessings.) There are several many new weapons. That being said, it's still the same game; if you were looking forward to major play shakeups like new levels and new characters, that hasn't happened yet.

*For some people. There definitely are still gremlins in the code that makes some people's play experience much wonkier than others.
**Note: note completely balanced, just more balanced.

nah this is good info, not looking for anything specific just have a couple of mates who are jumping in for the first time and wanted to know if I missed anything big, thanks!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Oh drat me and my friend encountered 2 people who were the prime example of not moving up a difficulty until you're ready. Me as a vet and him as an ogyrn with 2 lv30 priests on a grims haz4. We haven't even picked up the first grim and one priest was nearly down from taking so much damage then in quick succession both go down and one dies. In a 33 minute mission we have 10 deaths with only me going down once trying to save one of them. I picked up the 2nd grim just to eat it because they were spending more time dead then alive haha--ain't no one eating a grim accidentally that poo poo took like 7 seconds of holding down to eat it.

I was too focused on killing ranged targets and specials so i didn't get why they were going down constantly but my friend exclaims one of them is trying to reload a bolter while a horde is beating on him hahaha. I'm a vet in melee fighting some melee dregs with a loving chain axe of all things then i watch the thunder hammer one charge in and get interrupted by a melee hit then just loving fold while i'm just perplexed 5m away haha, got him up then watched him die while sprinting away towards the ogryn who's doing just fine.

Tried the purgatus staff on heresy to see if i could roast crushers in a horde and while the horde died way before they did i did manage a few times. I mostly just swapped to my sword and did a charged attack to finish them off instead of waiting for them to burn.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Flamethrowers only tickle crushers unless you have zealot ult to melt them during the 2 second window, but if they stagger from it anyway a staggered crusher is a harmless crusher.

One thing I think has been vastly improved from release are the dogs, last patch made them both less janky dangerous and more chaotic movement dangerous, since it usually only takes 1 hit to knock them off someone now they have a high chance of running off and going for another leap shortly after, at the same time it feels a lot easier to stop the pounce where before it felt like a 25% chance whether it would care or not.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Haz 4 is a trap. If you can play haz 4 your build is at least an asset in haz5, and in haz5 public lobby your teammates are also level where they think they can take on haz5 whereas on public haz4 lobby nobody is confident they can take haz 4 because otherwise they would be trying lo-intensity haz 5. Just jump haz3 -> lo-intensity haz5 and enjoy haz4 threat level with haz5 pubbies and rewards.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

nah this is good info, not looking for anything specific just have a couple of mates who are jumping in for the first time and wanted to know if I missed anything big, thanks!

You will receive weapons far more often and can upgrade and tweak everything as you go.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Valtonen posted:

Haz 4 is a trap. If you can play haz 4 your build is at least an asset in haz5, and in haz5 public lobby your teammates are also level where they think they can take on haz5 whereas on public haz4 lobby nobody is confident they can take haz 4 because otherwise they would be trying lo-intensity haz 5. Just jump haz3 -> lo-intensity haz5 and enjoy haz4 threat level with haz5 pubbies and rewards.

This. If you're confident enough to play and win some Heresy runs, just play Damnation instead. Crafting mat rates are so much better that even if you fail a 5 late into the run you're still getting the same amount of crafting mats as a Heresy anyway, and the pubbies are far more competent. Which means you're much more likely to succeed!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

question: if you BB a boss with the shield up does it suffer the damage reduction shield applies to ranged attacks?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Damnation is also a really good source of blessings and sometimes usable orange weapons, especially if you are doing the secondary objectives.

I've just done back to back damnation runs ever since the crafting update, which was a good change because it felt bad that malice speedruns were the "optimal" way to advance your gear progression, now you can upgrade a random grey weapon to orange in 2 damnation wins so you can easily experiment with new weapons or not worry much about a failed upgrade because it didn't take 2 entire days worth of runs to upgrade.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Getting a gift after every level is such a small change but has such an enormous impact. I think that un games that have a hub, you need to always have something to do when you get back to the hub. Even selling, or extracting a blessing, lets you feel like you made concrete metaprogression in a mission

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah after running a few more missions I'm confident to say that Heresy High Intensity is harder than Damnation low intensity. So consider that a good stepping stone into 5s.

Did get one rear end in a top hat last night that put down ammo and meds out of the final crate before dropping down to the last mission area when we could have carried them down to actually use. Not sure what that was all about. Overall though random pubbies in 4/5s seem nice even if sometimes you find yourself questioning what they are doing. It's a nice change from like Overwatch comp games of salt.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yeah after running a few more missions I'm confident to say that Heresy High Intensity is harder than Damnation low intensity. So consider that a good stepping stone into 5s.

Did get one rear end in a top hat last night that put down ammo and meds out of the final crate before dropping down to the last mission area when we could have carried them down to actually use. Not sure what that was all about. Overall though random pubbies in 4/5s seem nice even if sometimes you find yourself questioning what they are doing. It's a nice change from like Overwatch comp games of salt.

I'll do you one more and say Heresy High Int is harder than normal Damnation. Damnation without modifiers isn't really even noticeably different from Heresy, to me. Once you start playing with the mentality that you just can't afford to let anything hit you with 50% of your toughness or less, it doesn't really matter how much 'harder' Damnation is, either way you can't afford to sit there and let stuff hit you. I'd say the only real difference between 4 and 5 are the density of clustered shooters.

With modifiers, that's off the table, hi-int Damnation is much harder than high-int Heresy and don't even get me started on Shock.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mendrian posted:

*For some people. There definitely are still angry machine spirits that makes some people's play experience much wonkier than others.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey i actually got to play Waystalker for a bit. I like her great sword a lot.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i loved DT at launch but it seemed pretty bare bones, have they added much since then?

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Communist Thoughts posted:

i loved DT at launch but it seemed pretty bare bones, have they added much since then?

More guns, one new level, more crafting options, more rewards for doing the higher difficulties; the base gameplay is still pretty much the same so the major appeal is trying all the different guns and combos and seeing how they work for you

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

in addition to that other stuff they also added some new modifiers that are pretty wild. If you liked the gameplay now is a good time to play as its easy to get games and its in a good spot. If you really really want new content you will probably need to wait till summer.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

Hey i actually got to play Waystalker for a bit. I like her great sword a lot.

Yeah its high base crit rate (because elf favoritism) plus good old Swift Slaying makes for lazy easy horde mowing and then when a stormvermin or chaos warrior appears you just jab directly in the nose. It's all-around solid.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Sorta depends what you mean.

If you were looking for more maps or classes I doubt we'll see anything for a few months at least. The stuff that is there is better in terms of QOL and the endgame seems to have a clear 'point' now, but the actual moment to moment gameplay is still basically the same.

Going back to VT2 I still say one of the biggest mistakes they made in DT in terms of level design was not making unique event goals. All events are some combination of 'hack and object', 'push a button', 'hold out', or 'kill a guy'. Granted VT2 had the exact same kinds of interactions but hid them behind better broadcasted set pieces; 'push a button' was 'ring a bell' or 'blow up the gate' with obvious and interactive results. "Destroy this thing" was "break these ropes around the screaming bell." The lack of variety makes individual levels less memorable. The most memorable set pieces in DT are the ones you can't ignore because the visuals are so huge but I still wish they were more interactive.

Also if you're going to have big level biomes and put several missions in each one, give those biomes unique mechanics. It's a crime that the industrial complex doesn't have molten metal or hot steam to contend with (or hurt enemies with); there should be dust storms in the outdoor biome. It makes those regions feel more coherent and also varies play in each one. Imagine a refrigerated biome with frozen floors or walkways. To say nothing of more work-intensive things like unique enemies.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the main issue i had was that the loot was just on a timer system where youd just get like 10 random items every x hours, which seemed like a really early WIP implementation

is that different now?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

hey does corruption resist work now?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

the main issue i had was that the loot was just on a timer system where youd just get like 10 random items every x hours, which seemed like a really early WIP implementation

is that different now?

The armory is still on a 10 random items per 1 hour, the Sir Melks Requisitorium is on ~10 random but better level items per 24 hours, the sir melks contracts are completed on a weekly basis, each mission you complete gives you one item upon success and you get better items doing higher difficulty. There is also "Brunt's Armory" in the armory that sells you grays of anything you like which is the way to hunt for good modifier sets that you then level up via entreating Hadron at the crafting area thing.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

is that different now?

Yeah it's pretty different now.

Every map gives you an item, and difficulty/secondary objectives increase the likelihood of better quality equipment.

Blessings can now be stripped from weapons. This creates a secondary progression system where you buy items or earn them or get them from Melk just to rip off the blessings.

You can now buy any basic/gray item from the shop using the 'Brunt's Armory' option. This is a great way to fish for base weapons with high stats that you can then upgrade with your crafting mats and the blessings you ripped out of other weapons. These gray items can also produce high rank blessings when you upgrade them.

There is very little reason to buy blue/green items from the regular weapon shop anymore except when you're leveling. The endgame is now mostly about the acquisition of crafting materials and slowly moving towards ideal weapons. Each match feels like you're making actual progress toward that now. Melks contracts are way more reasonable now (with a few odd outliers like "get 16 grims" which is pretty nuts) so his shop is a good source of high level blessings or good items.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's kind of nutty that on release you'd only get a MAXIMUM of 20 items per week from finishing missions, across every character, usually blue quality or lower and it wasn't a guarantee you'd get one of those 20 items after finishing.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mendrian posted:

There is very little reason to buy blue/green items from the regular weapon shop anymore except when you're leveling.

Oh one thing on this, since you can't Brunt's armory curios, and sir melks only ever gives 1 or 2(?) you should check the armory shop when you are on and buy any curios that have a max main stat IMO, and then as you get more crafting mats try and bless them up into good curios.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Pharmaskittle posted:

hey does corruption resist work now?

Yeah both corruption resist and grimoire corruption resist works on curios now

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's kind of nutty that on release you'd only get a MAXIMUM of 20 items per week from finishing missions, across every character, usually blue quality or lower and it wasn't a guarantee you'd get one of those 20 items after finishing.
The thing that strikes me the most about this was that it used to be 20 items account-wide, but inventory is per-character (and still is) lol.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I have to say I would not mind at all if Fatshark banned the scoreboard mod and I'm glad I didn't install it. Got into a fun little back and forth with a teammate who had died 2-3 times in another room out of coherency who snapped back that I was the problem because I was sitting at the lowest damage score on the team. I really think the scoreboard encourages behaviour that is counterproductive to successful runs and positive group interactions.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I haven't installed any mods yet but really that modder should only have the screen show up at the end of the game, literally none of that info is useful in game, because if my loadout is bad or not complementary to the team, it's not that I can change it mid round for more damage, or CC, or boss kill, or less ammo consumption etc.

Prime example of fatshark not adding an end of round scoreboard makes the modded fix be a worse one.

edit: I just realized that maybe you can see the scoreboard in VT2 during a mission? I literally haven't played anything but chaos wastes for years and there it's only at the end.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 3, 2023

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Levin posted:

I have to say I would not mind at all if Fatshark banned the scoreboard mod and I'm glad I didn't install it. Got into a fun little back and forth with a teammate who had died 2-3 times in another room out of coherency who snapped back that I was the problem because I was sitting at the lowest damage score on the team. I really think the scoreboard encourages behaviour that is counterproductive to successful runs and positive group interactions.

probably why it got taken off, people that had to have all the green circles from VT were always the worst (elves).

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It is annoying when people use kill count to determine their efficacy. Yeah, it's helpful to kill things, but less helpful when you are rushing in and creating dangerous situations just to ensure that the kill credit goes to yourself. Victory is more complicated than "number of enemies I delivered fatal damage on". At the same time though, toxic people will be toxic no matter what. Best to mute them at the first indication that they're assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I sometimes check the scoreboard mid-match to see stuff like how my weapon did for boss-damage, but I always keep the scoreboard info to myself, it's only the assholes that bring up scoreboards to brag about their own high scores and punch down anyone they see as inferior numberwise.

I wouldn't mind if Fatshark came out with their own scoreboard for stat tracking but it was private to each person, that way when someone shits on someone else you can just say "I got your number+1 therefore shut up" and unless they demand you email them a screenshot that's that.

I remember one match a streamer playing veteran was constantly whining that "oh here comes annnnother loss, going even worse then the laaaast game I played with a even woooorse team"
I was stopping every run-ending special combination by myself while distracting the boss at the end of the map, when we won I said we carried to spite him and he exploooooded about how his score was the biggest because he spent the whole game slowly killing gunners by himself while taking all the ammo which inflated his kill score, meanwhile he had a teamwork score of 5.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 3, 2023