Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Endgame spoilers.

Up against the super boss. I'm only level 53. It's frustrating because I actually have a strategy that means I can hold out against it for ages and get like 3-4 phases on the core, but I just don't have the damage to bust through before it starts calling the adds that are immune to all but one element

The worst part is I'm *convinced* it's doable.

I saw a video the other day of someone beating it with all their characters set to level 1, so probably!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Luckily JP is universal, so all that JP you save from being in Inventor can immediately be used to unlock abilities in Warrior.

Yeah, that's one of those mechanics you're suddenly very glad for. I had to reshuffle quite a bit since I haven't unlocked any additional licenses yet bug Ochette is now a cyborg. I mean Hunter/Warrior. gently caress. Wonder why I made that error.

Thróne is now the inventor and Hikari has to be a hunter, at least until I bother with unlocking more subjobs. :v:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Captain Flame Guy posted:

I saw a video the other day of someone beating it with all their characters set to level 1, so probably!

Oh yeah I could do it if I just reloaded an earlier save and invested my JP differently, but that's no fun.

Also if I didn't ban partitio runemaster.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Beat the secret boss. Thank goodness. Now I can move onto other games!

Definitely will be on a shortlist for my Game of the Year.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
HARVEEEEEEEY

Quick who am I, Batman or Osvald

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Captain Oblivious posted:

HARVEEEEEEEY

Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

HARVEEEEEEEY

Kennedy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I bounced off Octopath 1 pretty hard but god drat does 2 have its hooks in me. This game owns so hard

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
What's a good thing to spend my leaves on if I want to tackle the lv 40+ dungeons and events? I already have the boat and almost 250k leaves to blow and for the life of me cannot find any decent equipment to spend it on.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

How does this game fare in terms of missable content? I think I read somewhere you can actually see all the banter scenes you missed at the tavern? I know you can just yt that stuff but the anxiety of missing one of those in OT1 was such a turnoff.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

What's a good thing to spend my leaves on if I want to tackle the lv 40+ dungeons and events? I already have the boat and almost 250k leaves to blow and for the life of me cannot find any decent equipment to spend it on.

The best buyable gear is in the level 45+ towns.

Zaggitz posted:

How does this game fare in terms of missable content? I think I read somewhere you can actually see all the banter scenes you missed at the tavern? I know you can just yt that stuff but the anxiety of missing one of those in OT1 was such a turnoff.

Nothing is missable, banter can all be reviewed in the journal now.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

department store in wellgrove, middle vendor of the three-vendor setup of the new delsta black market, and item shop in stormhail together cover all of castti's ingredients so stock up on 99 of everything there

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Travel banter can be viewed in the journal at any time (pick a character in the journal, then press + or start or the equivalent). This includes travel banter you didn't see during the character's story, either because you didn't have the other character in your party or you just missed the button prompt, so you can't miss them at all anymore.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Zaggitz posted:

I don't think anything is missable, unless you count things like random townsperson dialogue during story missions. Banters are all recorded in the journal, even ones you missed, and if there's any missable treasure or such it's definitely nothing more noticable than buyable gear/consumables.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Acceptable answer.

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020

Timberain specifically has some of the top shields, headgear and armor for phys defense in the shop.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips folks, that was helpful!

I know this is nitpicky and doesn't really affect the quality of the game much, but as I'm progressing through the stories it's getting increasingly wierd how your party members don't comment or even appear most of the time. Dialogue flags triggered by who's in your party during story events have been a thing in this genre for over 30 years, I'm not sure why they didn't bother here.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There is banter at least, but yes, it's definitely noticeable in some story chapters especially that the character is implied to be doing it 'alone'. But I imagine it would take a bit of rewriting and loophole fixing to account for scenes like 'oh right, Agnea is gonna arm-wrestle that loan shark in a solo competition' vs 'but wait, if Partitio is in the party he can buy her a mechanical arm that would guarantee her the victory'. Easier to just write the chapters as if the character is doing them alone and just add in some banter to make it not seem like eight lifeless stories completely unconnected from each other.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking more along the lines of what other JRPGs do where each potential party member gets one or two inconsequential comments during story scenes if you have them in the party. Like I said, not a big deal but just kind of wierd given that other games do it no problem.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think it's kept intentionally ambiguous how involved the travelers are in each others' stories. A lot of scenes make more sense if you assume the traveler is alone for their own story (aside from the story NPCs they work with) but at the same time, a lot of travel banters imply more direct involvement from the other travelers. For example, in Temenos's chapter 2, there are travel banters where Throné has clearly examined the same crime scene that Temenos did, or where Hikari promises that if things come to blows, he'll fight by Temenos's side.

So I think the idea is that it's fluid whether the others are around for any given part, and when they're not then they're doing their own thing elsewhere in town until their help is needed, or something like that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And then there's the case of Hikari fighting one-on-one in an arena, until the last fight derails into a Gladiator-uprising and when Hikari continues fighting Evil Gladiator Man to prevent him from saving his employer from the Good Gladiators, he suddenly goes "I'll fight you with my friends! Cue a boss fight with the complete party.

With the obvious assumption being that the rest of the party rushes down from the stands to join Hikari, now that the fight isn't a duel anymore.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Libluini posted:

And then there's the case of Hikari fighting one-on-one in an arena, until the last fight derails into a Gladiator-uprising and when Hikari continues fighting Evil Gladiator Man to prevent him from saving his employer from the Good Gladiators, he suddenly goes "I'll fight you with my friends! Cue a boss fight with the complete party.

With the obvious assumption being that the rest of the party rushes down from the stands to join Hikari, now that the fight isn't a duel anymore.

I’ve just got the mental imagery of Castti munching down on a bucket of popcorn and Osvald doing his best WWE ringside fan impression going now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The arena arc was definitely better than I expected. I was slightly rolling my eyes at how expected an arena arc was but it turned out to be pretty compelling.

In general the stories are grabbing me a lot more than Octopath 1. I started with Hikari but I think Temenos might be my favorite so far.

Also Hikari is already so overpowered that I have to intentionally give him crappy weapons and make him play support or he could have soloed every boss fight so far lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Whoa Black Betty, Bandelam

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was thinking more along the lines of what other JRPGs do where each potential party member gets one or two inconsequential comments during story scenes if you have them in the party. Like I said, not a big deal but just kind of wierd given that other games do it no problem.

other games do things more linear than the "pick your own path at whatever time you want" so I get why some things were truncated in quests

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

In general the stories are grabbing me a lot more than Octopath 1. I started with Hikari but I think Temenos might be my favorite so far.
I've finished all chapter 2 stories and some chapter 3 stories and with the exception of Agnea, so far they seem better than the Octopath 1 counterparts. Grabbing me is a good description of it, they are set up so that I want to know what happens next, Agnea again being the exception.

Temenos and Castti are my favorites so far. Other than the story that is obviously my least favorite, I also have some problem with Throne's story. Her story is interesting and she is a cool character, but so much of her story makes no sense that my suspension of disbelief is overburdened.

Playing the game also feels a bit better than the first Octopath did.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The main vocalist in the final boss theme rules so much.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

There's not a single miss on the soundtrack.

But yeah the final boss tracks gently caress real good in particular.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just wish I could buy a digital version of the OST

SquEnix apparently has physical copies on their store… for $55 + shipping :fuckoff:

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Is the final boss considered Vide? I just killed him but haven't followed up to doing the epilogue stuff yet.

I know there's also some more poo poo after that.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
yes, that's the final boss. there is an additional, secret boss that can be challenged any time

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Well I kind of killed him with only 4 characters equipped with anything, so it was harder than it should have been but still fairly easy overall.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

YoshiOfYellow posted:

There's not a single miss on the soundtrack.

But yeah the final boss tracks gently caress real good in particular.

Yeah it's so good

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Where's a good place to level up in the postgame. I'm level 55.

Superboss Spoiler

Galdera's final phase is ultimately too much for me. Without very very good RNG on the transition into it, he ends up wiping all my buffs and then vomming a near full party wipe at me immediately, we're talking 3k+ on everyone.

There's probably some super smart way of doing it but I can't race down the shield bar fast enough and the only one who could, Ochette is needed for Phase 1 at the moment.

I think, if the lead in to P2 didn't take the better part of 20 minutes I might be able to figure something out, but it's 20 minutes and it's also unreliable at best.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I used the cave below Canalbrine you can reach by boat till everyone was around level 70.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Generally you grab Alrond, get into an encounter that gives you a ton of EXP such as a fat cait, then summon Alrond, have him give you EXP x100 and then you finish the fight.
On top of that, you stack on all the exp accessories and skills, and make sure it's night time. If you've captured caits before you get food from them that grants additional EXP.

e: you can use dancer's bewildering dance too but it's too much of a pain in the butt to actually pull off, Alrond does it way better

Captain Flame Guy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 2, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Crystalgate posted:

I've finished all chapter 2 stories and some chapter 3 stories and with the exception of Agnea, so far they seem better than the Octopath 1 counterparts. Grabbing me is a good description of it, they are set up so that I want to know what happens next, Agnea again being the exception.

Personal taste but how they stack up for me:

Ophilia < Temenos
Cyrus = Osvald
Tressa < Partitio
Olberic > Hikari
Primrose > Agnea
Alfyn = Castti
Therion < Throne
H'aanit < Ochette

Natural 20 posted:

Superboss Spoiler

Without very very good RNG on the transition into it, he ends up wiping all my buffs and then vomming a near full party wipe at me immediately, we're talking 3k+ on everyone..

He doesn't wipe overheal, so a Sealticge's Prayer of Plenty from Temenos will give you a hp buffer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Personal taste but how they stack up for me:

Ophilia < Temenos
Cyrus = Osvald
Tressa < Partitio
Olberic > Hikari
Primrose > Agnea
Alfyn = Castti
Therion < Throne
H'aanit < Ochette

I like Hikari's because even though it's a very simple story, it's told in a compelling way. It's good at making you go "those fuckers :argh:" about the antagonists and has some pretty substantive chapters.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ApplesandOranges posted:

He doesn't wipe overheal, so a Sealticge's Prayer of Plenty from Temenos will give you a hp buffer.

Ooooh interesting, yeah maybe that works, I assumed the overhealing would wipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ytlaya posted:

I like Hikari's because even though it's a very simple story, it's told in a compelling way. It's good at making you go "those fuckers :argh:" about the antagonists and has some pretty substantive chapters.

Yeah but his blade isn't unbending.