Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sleng Teng posted:

I have spent well over a decade curating my youtube so that these days it mostly recommends dj sets, vinyl rips, album uploads, live performances, etc. it kicks rear end.

my youtube is pretty well curated i'm just like NO I ALREADY WATCHED THIS VIDEO ABOUT A GRAYBEARD FIXING A COMMODORE 64, YOU KNOW IT, I KNOW IT, DON'T SHOW IT TO ME AGAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I use youtube to listen to music and generally click on whatever playlist they got for me. But after enough time I'll have enough AMVs slipped into the playlists and now youtube thinks I'm a weeb

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Youtube keeps recommending lovely lets plays woth like three views from peiple I've never heard. Sorry but I do not want to watch Part 196 of EpicDovahPoggers' modded Skyrim playthrough

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mostly seal videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqP9JubExx8

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

haha what posted:

dis game is un-FUCKIN-believable

I watched an LP of it I'm 2016 and I still have no clue what's happening in that coffee scene.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

Heath posted:

I mean that's fine I guess but it's effectively the same thing as that "hurr durr look at me I'm a moron" "Shut the gently caress up moron" "haha got em" comic where yeah I get what you're doing but it is actually annoying

Is she, like, doing something sketchy with the glass? Is something rude written on it?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Heath posted:

I mean that's fine I guess but it's effectively the same thing as that "hurr durr look at me I'm a moron" "Shut the gently caress up moron" "haha got em" comic where yeah I get what you're doing but it is actually annoying

Finding it annoying is fine but policing the body language of others to this level is not the innocuous activity you seem to think it is so it’s funny that something so minor can cause folks to do that. This is not the same as mispronouncing foreign words on purpose to drive engagement. She may drink from it on occasion but if she were to do so on screen and not edit it out then other folks would be policing that for its noise or being an affectation.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sad question posted:

Why would video about the best of these be the shortest?

Did Oblivion or Skyrim have a writer take acid for a week to write lore for them?

Part of it was an escalating joke because people got mad at how long the Morrowind video was. He deliberately made the Skyrim video 11 hours 11 minutes and 11 seconds and released it on 11/11/22, like how Skyrim was (originally) released on 11/11/11.

pentyne posted:

Who was that woman twitter weirdos tried to drag over a 12 hour Joker review by a bunch of a furries, and when she tweeted "yeah, I'm not gonna watch that" she got a ton of poo poo from people accusing her of making it about herself for no reason until she pointed out they literally put her name in the title of the video.

That was Jenny Nicholson btw. And I'm not clear how bringing her up would incite holy wars like TheSwizzler mentioned. She just talks in a low-key and humorous way about things. Either you click on her video and decide if she's drawing you in with whatever niche thing she's obsessing over this time, or you don't vibe with it and wait 6 months for another video.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 1, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Arivia posted:

my youtube is pretty well curated i'm just like NO I ALREADY WATCHED THIS VIDEO ABOUT A GRAYBEARD FIXING A COMMODORE 64, YOU KNOW IT, I KNOW IT, DON'T SHOW IT TO ME AGAIN
U know Fran?
https://youtu.be/sGujfrgfR_U
https://youtu.be/spmbeGHxGWE

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the clown girl gimmick YouTuber is izzy right. they were egregiously incorrect abt attributing something i didnt do to me and never bothered to correct it even tho it was entirely bc they cant read/are stupid

fun hater
May 24, 2009

also her vid abt the day the clown cried was diarrhea

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Anyway the best youtuber is this wizard guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

but like every top tier youtuber he barely posts stuff.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The only Jenny Nicholson video I've ever watched is the one where she reads Amazon reviews of giant spider Halloween decorations, because what else could compare to that

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grassy Knowles posted:

Finding it annoying is fine but policing the body language of others to this level is not the innocuous activity you seem to think it is so it’s funny that something so minor can cause folks to do that. This is not the same as mispronouncing foreign words on purpose to drive engagement. She may drink from it on occasion but if she were to do so on screen and not edit it out then other folks would be policing that for its noise or being an affectation.

What in god's name are you talking about

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

i know fran!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Heath posted:

What in god's name are you talking about

she's saying chill out jfc

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lady Radia posted:

she's saying chill out jfc

I will never betray my true self

edit: to clarify, by chilling out

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

sad question posted:

Why would video about the best of these be the shortest?

it's this:

Alaois posted:

its easier to talk at length and in detail about what you dislike than what you like

and partially this:

Nuns with Guns posted:

Part of it was an escalating joke because people got mad at how long the Morrowind video was. He deliberately made the Skyrim video 11 hours 11 minutes and 11 seconds and released it on 11/11/22, like how Skyrim was (originally) released on 11/11/11.

but mostly it was that the essays weren't 12 hours of poo poo like the impact of the oblivion thieve's guild questline on the war on terror or the socioeconomic parallels of Volkihar/Dawnguard feud, but recaps of the major questlines, standout sidequests, daedric shrines, etc. of each game along with the authors thoughts on the game various mechanics as they became relevant. And a lot of behind the scenes development stuff, which is fun too. They actually became easier to watch as they got longer imo, unraveling a lot of the silly bullshit and bad decisions made as the games go on is fun to listen to

It's good background noise when you're pushing pixels around for 10 hours straight lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 1, 2023

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

this is correct

i really want to unironically watch that just for the insanity of it

It's on YouTube (or was a year or so ago) and it's great fun to hoot and holler at with a friend or two.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I think a big thing about these multi hour videos is that eventually you just run out of content and lower your standards.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

I think a big thing about these multi hour videos is that eventually you just run out of content and lower your standards.

There's a meta element of trying to game the algorithm and get your visibility boosted by doing all that stuff too. At some point you're literally managing your content delivery because of how a computer is going to prioritize and promote what you are doing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TheSwizzler posted:

the church play cinematic universe one was legit hilarious

she def does pretty well researched stuff so it's a lot difference than some guy reading a wiki for 9 hours but some of her stuff is so niche and incredibly long that you wonder where the market is for that and then you remember she has even longer patreon only videos

plus if you mention her in the RLM thread it immediately ignites a pro jenny/anti jenny holy war

Why would anyone be anti jenny

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jenny makes exhaustively researched videos about extraordinary topics

fun hater
May 24, 2009

pentyne posted:

There's a meta element of trying to game the algorithm and get your visibility boosted by doing all that stuff too. At some point you're literally managing your content delivery because of how a computer is going to prioritize and promote what you are doing.

a lot of people online seem to aspire to make art or entertainment only a computer wants to look at lol

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

That’s gotta be a record for the goon phenomena of
-“Thing sucks! Yeah!”
-Goons discuss an absolutely encyclopedic knowledge of every instance of it, knowing every example.
-“Actually THIS six hour video is good, everyone would like it who could hate it.”

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

cheetah7071 posted:

Why would anyone be anti jenny

There are some people in the RLM thread who don't like to be reminded that there are emotions other than despair that your youtube host can emote. I say this as a RLM fan.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fun hater posted:

a lot of people online seem to aspire to make art or entertainment only a computer wants to look at lol

no art, no entertainment, only content

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

fun hater posted:

Figuring out that I didn't want to do this was the first step to feeling like a "Real" artist. I prefer to post content on SA/Forums where any growth is organic not an algorithm. I'm trying to convince my friends it's better that way lmao, I need more people like Abbadon (K6BD guy) telling people to make a website and abandon Twitter.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Figuring out that I didn't want to do this was the first step to feeling like a "Real" artist. I prefer to post content on SA/Forums where any growth is organic not an algorithm. I'm trying to convince my friends it's better that way lmao, I need more people like Abbadon (K6BD guy) telling people to make a website and abandon Twitter.

That reminds me, I should check out Neocities

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

-“Thing sucks! Yeah!”
-Goons discuss an absolutely encyclopedic knowledge of every instance of it, knowing every example.
-“Actually THIS six hour video is good, everyone would like it who could hate it.”

Hey at least this go around there wasn't the token "I put on these 12 hour videos for background noise, do you people just sit in a room in silence all day?!" response. Cause music doesn't exist.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Fran is cool, made some great guitar pedals.

also did not make video game lore “video essays”

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

womb with a view posted:

That reminds me, I should check out Neocities

NeoCities rules and having your own web page you coded yourself on The Internet rules

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

-“Thing sucks! Yeah!”

There's youtubers who are good background noise while you're cleaning or walking/jogging outside or grinding out a video game. Then there's youtubers who fart out interminable content I don't recommend. It's still rude to link something longer than 10 minutes when someone's asking a question, unless that question is: "Does anyone have some really detailed video breakdown about X thing?"

sweet geek swag posted:

There are some people in the RLM thread who don't like to be reminded that there are emotions other than despair that your youtube host can emote. I say this as a RLM fan.

It's just a difference in perspective, really. Mike finds joy in old people existing. Jay finds joy in cannibal horror movies. Rich finds joy somewhere... I'm sure.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

having a website is bad rear end. you can post anything. even about bloodborne. no one can stop you

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I can, but won't.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
A goon group showed me Queen recently like a bunch of songs and I'm trying to imagine listening to 10 hours of sonic guy when Freddy Mercury worked so hard to produce the greatest songs I've ever heard.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i like some of the trash really long videos bc i am chained to my desk and if im not constantly stimulated by sound and noise while drawing i start destroying my environment like a discontent zoo animal

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

fun hater posted:

i like some of the trash really long videos bc i am chained to my desk and if im not constantly stimulated by sound and noise while drawing i start destroying my environment like a discontent zoo animal

have you tried metal machine music?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
wandering around my condo muttering "I lack ENRICHMENT in my ENCLOSURE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

A goon group showed me Queen recently like a bunch of songs and I'm trying to imagine listening to 10 hours of sonic guy when Freddy Mercury worked so hard to produce the greatest songs I've ever heard.
You recently got introduced to Queen?

I'm envious that you got to experience it in full, as I heard it when I was very young so by the time I could recognize how good it was, I'd already heard it a lot.