Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lady Radia posted:

e: ok I don’t actually mean beat them up. I mean install a long trail of gunpowder from your mailbox to your garage, light the tail end of it when they approach, and have a rocket buried underneath it so that when they attempt to steal, they are fired into the stratosphere

OK, I think we can reach agreement here; this is a good compromise. But... the rocket has to be bright red and ACME brand. Are we good on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
*hand flies to earpiece, locks eyes as i listen in*

... Yes. We find these terms acceptable.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Subtract the cost of a PO box from your HOA dues until they rectify the issue :agesilaus:

If you do that then you're telling the HOA that they should hire security personnel for the neighborhood, and that sounds like a surefire way to get your rates hiked a whole lot. gently caress that

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

On one hand calling a cop to tell them that there's a mail thief is good for society because it's wasting the time of the police, however it's also wasting your own time and also poses some personal risk since you're literally talking to a cop

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Lady Radia posted:

just report it stolen and get new packages, you don’t need to call the loving cops lmao

yes okay that will certainly solve all the pending ID theft of everyone in the neighborhood great idea

QuarkJets posted:

If you do that then you're telling the HOA that they should hire security personnel for the neighborhood, and that sounds like a surefire way to get your rates hiked a whole lot. gently caress that

I saw on Nextdoor that a nearby HOA had a license plate scanning system installed without a vote by the homeowners. Apparently you can get those privately now!

Flock Safety. Big red sign saying "Recording 24/7." If you see one in your neighborhood, raise hell.

Epitope posted:

House ownership makes people this way. You're going to love cops soon, sorry

now hang on let's not get carried away here

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

I saw on Nextdoor that a nearby HOA had a license plate scanning system installed without a vote by the homeowners. Apparently you can get those privately now!

https://platerecognizer.com/

It's trivial to install via plugin to almost any CCTV/DVR system and it's been available for over a decade. So is facial rec is a bit more spendy but definitely available and easy. Machine learning to ID car/human/dog/etc is super trivial and built into a lot of cameras at this point and definitely available with every decent DVR system.

If you think it's bad here you should see what the UK does with all of this.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm sure the thief is only stealing food and medicine for their ailing family and is a good person who deserves our sympathies and understanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6q_2zZXHMg

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

DaveSauce posted:

Flock Safety. Big red sign saying "Recording 24/7." If you see one in your neighborhood, raise hell.

Two neighborhoods behind mine put them in three years ago on all three entrances. I don’t go through there anymore.

And then surprise, the town police department put them in on every road coming into town in the last year or so. :negative:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If Sundaes neighbors can remove an entire dog park, a video camera seems trivial in comparison

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ooooooookay, I woke up to multiple reports about cop chat, let's move on.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pmchem posted:

ooooooookay, I woke up to multiple reports about cop chat, let's move on.

We did, we're talking about HOA-installed cameras and license plate scanners now

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

How do I fix a leaking faucet like this? Is there a special wrench or something that I need to remove the valve?

edit: found the faucet:

https://www.calfaucets.com/bathroom/faucets/wall-mount/vessel-lavatory-faucet-trim-only-to-v6202-27

Can I just replace the "cartridge" somehow?

Edit: this: https://www.fdsupply.com/item/p099-069413c/ ?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 1, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Those are independent valves, there is no "cartridge" like modern showers have that does the mixing.

Is it leaking out of the valves or is it leaking from the faucet when it's supposed to be off? If it's the latter, is it hot water leaking or cold water? That will tell you which valve you need to fix. In my experience it's usually the hot water valve more often than not.

Finally, to get access to the valves, you will have to remove the escutchion from the wall to get access to the nut under it. Loosen that nut with a wrench or socket and the valve will come with it. Assuming your faucet is leaking, and not from the valve itself, the fix will be to replace the seat washer for the valve.

Edit: It looks like it does use a cartridge after all. They've gone and made them less maintainable than older style valves, so I guess you do have to replace the whole thing.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 1, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SpartanIvy posted:

Those are independent valves, there is no "cartridge" like modern showers have that does the mixing.

Is it leaking out of the valves or is it leaking from the faucet when it's supposed to be off? If it's the latter, is it hot water leaking or cold water? That will tell you which valve you need to fix. In my experience it's usually the hot water valve more often than not.

Finally, to get access to the valves, you will have to remove the escutchion from the wall to get access to the nut under it. Loosen that nut with a wrench or socket and the valve will come with it. Assuming your faucet is leaking, and not from the valve itself, the fix will be to replace the seat washer for the valve.

Edit: It looks like it does use a cartridge after all. They've gone and made them less maintainable than older style valves, so I guess you do have to replace the whole thing.

Yup, it's hot water that's leaking from the faucet.

So basically it's:

1. Turn off hot water
2. Remove Cartridge Nut
3. Put on new cartridge
4. Turn on hot water

?

edit: Here's a better look at the cartridge:

There's some sort of green stuff around it? Is getting access to that nut going to be a PITA?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 1, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Residency Evil posted:

Yup, it's hot water that's leaking from the faucet.

So basically it's:

1. Turn off hot water
2. Remove Cartridge Nut
3. Put on new cartridge
4. Turn on hot water

There's some sort of green stuff around it? Is getting access to that nut going to be a PITA?

1. Yeah, I did not mention it but absolutely make sure the water supply to the valve is cut off before you disassemble it.
2. Remove the escutcheon. It may be threaded onto the stem, or it might just be glued/painted to the wall. I would take a razor blade or knife and carefully cut the paint around the perimeter of it at the wall. See if you can get any play with it and figure out how to pop it off. It doesn't look like it's threaded on to me from the picture you posted, so probably just paint and maybe some caulk. The green stuff might be tarnish on the brass, or maybe greenboard that wasn't painted.
3. Remove cartridge with the nut that you've exposed
4. Install new cartridge, tighten nut per installation instructions
5. Turn on hot water and hope you did everything right.
6. Reinstall escutcheon and handle after verifying there's no leaks from the new cartridge.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

My guest room circuit flipped the breaker. After unplugging everything / taking out all the lights and smoke detector, it still kept blowing so I replaced the breaker and that didn't work either. Called the electrician and cue 3 hours of him swearing and mumbling to himself as he ripped all my outlets and switches apart.

He eventually found a wire coming into one outlet that was shorted, but despite testing all over the rest of the house he couldn't find where it went. Everything seems to be working fine with it disconnected so he wire capped it and went on his way.

If I ever build a house it's going to have a 12" metal baseboard I can unscrew whenever I need to see in the walls :mad:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's exterior lighting/an outdoor outlet.

Sorry in advance for when you find out it's dead.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Motronic posted:

It's exterior lighting/an outdoor outlet.

Sorry in advance for when you find out it's dead.

He checked them all!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Doorbell?

(Sorry for unloading my previous damage on the thread - I've made all of these mistakes before)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Motronic posted:

Doorbell?

(Sorry for unloading my previous damage on the thread - I've made all of these mistakes before)

Home Ownership: I’ve made all of these mistakes before

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Motronic posted:

Doorbell?

Nope, still works. Good guess though, he did not in fact check that.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Could be a second, abandoned doorbell transformer like my house had!

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
We had something similar happen and it turned out to be an attic fan.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
We just had an issue like this. Thankfully the helpfully labeled "Lights 1" breaker narrowed it down to about 70% of the outlets and switches in the house. Eventually the electrician found out it was an old wire covered in fabric running in the attic to the kitchen.

Good thing it happened before we got insulation blown in to the attic.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
So, we've had unusually bad wind the past two weekends. A few days after the first instance, I noticed a bunch of shingles had blown off of my house and we had rain coming in the next couple days, so I called the first (well-reviewed) roofing contractor I could find that had availability in the next couple days. He was able to put a temporary patch on the spot with the missing shingles, which held up super well through that second weekend of wind, so that's all good for now until we move forward with a permanent repair.

While he was up there, he basically immediately said "you should definitely make a claim" and that most of, if not the entire roof, would need to be replaced. He did actually show me *tons* of shingles that had come loose while he was up there- what he showed me pretty much matched exactly what I saw in every video online about when you should file a claim/when you need a new roof (zippering, failed adhesive, all that good stuff). I want to clarify that I was able to see the damage as he discussed it- it wasn't like he was up there, then came back down, and made a bunch of stuff up. I also called *him*- this wasn't a situation where those scam roofers call around/make visits after a storm.

The guy handling my insurance claim is coming out tomorrow to inspect the roof. The contractor will also be here at the same time (a friend of mine recommended I try to have them both there). My question here- is there anything I should look out for or specifically ask while that inspection is happening? I realize the contractor is there to argue as to why certain work needs to be done to repair the work correctly, but I know that insurance in general likes to deny paying for as much as they can. If it helps, I have Travelers as my home insurance, which the contractor said is actually one of the better ones as far as allowing claims goes, but I still want to make sure I pay as little out-of-pocket beyond the deductible as I can (I'm sure I'll have to pay at least a little bit extra).

Any tips?

m0therfux0r fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 4, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yes.

Have them determine whether or not the roof will pass a 'brittle test.' This determines whether or not your roof can be repaired.

The beauty of the asphalt/fiberglass roofing system is that it is repairable. Damaged shingles can be removed and replaced.

If the roof is young enough & in good enough condition, the shingles can be bent back far enough to remove the damaged shingle below it and replace it with a new one. If it cracks during the bending, it's too brittle for the roof to be repairable, and the entire slope has to be replaced. (sometimes, the southern exposure slopes get beat-up far worse than any others, where they'll fail but the others are still supple enough).

Other arguments your roofer may try to make if your roof is determined to be repairable:

Your adjuster does not care whether or not the color matches.

The adjuster absolutely does not care if the repairs can't be warrantied - a bogus complaint since
a) the roof is designed to handle being repaired, and
b) your roof is not under warranty right now, or it would definitely be too new to fail a brittle test.

The number of missing shingle tabs can also be a factor. Beyond a certain number, it is not cost-effective to replace them rather than just re-do the slope. However that can depend on the carrier. Allstate, for example, is infamous for forging ahead on repair no matter how many shingles are damaged, if the roof is deemed repairable.

Other issues:

Soft metals: these are the various bases and flashings that transition between roof devices such as chimneys, vents fans and skylights, and your shingles. With wind damage, these are rarely damaged, and can be left in place when the shingles are replaced. However, ones with sections that overlay the shingles are easily damaged, so I tend to allow to replace them. Skylight flashing kits are installed under the shingles & should be left alone.

Ice and water shield: in the last 20-years, this has been found to be a cheap preventative against ice damming. Many municipalities require them as code now. You may not have this on the roof at the moment, but should get it installed if you are in a temperate zone. Check with your adjuster to see if you have code upgrade coverage (most policies carry some, usually up to 10% of coverage A). If you do, your carrier will reimburse you for I&W after it's installed (code upgrade is a reimburseable coverage - you have to spend the :tenbux: first, to get reimbursed).

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 4, 2023

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
Thanks! I'll ask about the brittle test. I have a feeling that enough shingles are damaged/lifting/etc that it may fall into the "not cost effective to repair" category, but I'll make sure. I forgot to mention it in my previous post, but my roof is approximately 12 years old- less than the normal 20-25 year life of an asphalt roof, but I'm on a hill and am exposed to more wind in general than the average home in the area. When I bought the house in 2021, the previous owner listed that some shingles had been replaced on the disclosure a few years ago, but that the rest of the roof was totally fine and didn't require any more work. The past year and a half have been exceptionally windy for the area, so it honestly wouldn't surprise me if a lot has changed since that happened.

My insurance did ask about flashing and metals (I called them to start the claim while the roofer was there) and the roofer's response was that none of the flashing was damaged, but because of the way the flashing is installed on the chimney, it'd likely need to be replaced if the shingles around the chimney need to be replaced.

Dunno about the ice and water shield status- the roofer did mention that some of the decking may need to be replaced because it seemed like it wasn't up to code. Apparently current code is that there shouldn't be more than a 1/4" gap between the decking and he said he was hitting a lot of empty spots when he nailed the temporary patch so maybe both of those can be rolled into the "this needs to be up to code" part.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye all for all of this stuff- thanks!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The insurance won't cover the hidden rot on the roof decking. Or any rot.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
It's not a rot issue. The roofer said he's been successful in the past about having people's insurance cover that decking issue I mentioned so I may not have explained it properly (this is all pretty new to me).

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
Really glad I had the contractor present while the insurance inspectors were here. The inspectors did their entire inspection with a drone and were only going to pay to replace the side of the roof with the very obvious damage, but then the contractor made them actually go up on the roof with him.

They came back down agreeing to cover an entirely new roof, including the addition of ice/water shields and fixing the decking issue I mentioned. Seems like I got lucky and had a good insurance/contractor combo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This trend of "inspecting" a roof with a drone is bullshit.

It can tell you if it's totally boned, but can't tell you if it's any good. You have to walk the decking to know that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

True. There is no way (yet) to ascertain the repairability of a roof of unknown age just by looking at it.

I use a drone for roof claims, but only to verify that there is actually damage on it first. I've had several losses where the insured called in a wind damage claim because he found shingles in his yard. In more than a few cases, the shingles were from a neighboring house.

If the roof is less than ten years old, it is, more likely than not, repairable (not always, but usually).

I'll discuss my findings with the insured, noting that we can reinspect it if his/her roofer finds more than what i saw. If I get any push-back, I will typically assign a roofer to go up & verify. Drones are very useful to document the general condition of the slopes, especially if there are prior repairs. Drones are most useful for high flat roofs that are difficult to access and impossible to see from anywhere but the roof; roofers know this & pull all kinds of poo poo when they think no one can double-check their work.

I'm very surprised that they included the rotted decking. Plywood is very, very resistant to water damage.

Unless it was 5/8" or thinner OSB (thanque Hadlock), which turns to oatmeal if it thinks about getting wet, and is lovely about nail retention anyway (nail pops are a big issue that we do not cover).

My company does offer a mold endorsement that extends to hidden rot - in a case like this the decking patching might be covered up to a limit, since the loss itself is covered, related rot would be.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 6, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm very surprised that they included the rotted decking. Plywood is very, very resistant to water damage.

Unless it was 5/8" or thinner USB OSB, which turns to oatmeal if it thinks about getting wet,

Most boats between 16 and 70 feet have a plywood core, the glue holding it together it generally doesn't have an opinion about water

I always lol when people wax poetic about "marine grade plywood" when in reality it all uses the same glue, the grade has to do with the lack of voids on the internal plys for structural strength calculations, nothing more

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

PainterofCrap posted:

It wasn't a rotting issue, it was just an installation/coding issue- my house was built in 1930. While the current (soon-to-be-replaced) roof is only 12 years old, there was a building code updated at some point in time (unsure how localized the code is) to say that decking needed to be installed so that there was less than a 1/4" gap between each board. My decking had more than that- all they needed to cover it was a picture of the attic, which they took yesterday and immediately said "oh yeah that's not up to code".

I'm not certain when that code update went into effect, but it either didn't exist when my current roof was installed 12 years ago or the contractor didn't bring it up to code. When my current contractor talked with my claim officer yesterday and explained that, they agreed to cover it right away. The fix isn't entirely new decking- it just fills in those gaps with smaller boards (if I understood him correctly anyway). Regardless if my understanding of the fix is correct, it'll be up to code and insurance is covering it.

*Forgive me if any of my terminology is wrong. I understand what they're doing to my roof conceptually, but I don't know the correct roofing terms.

m0therfux0r fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 6, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Today we are getting our roof replaced and a good thing has happened: The Decking is in good shape. It's the first nice surprise I've had!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Not mine, but dear to my heart. My friend sent me a walkthrough video of water damage to his summer home up in Maine. We spend a week up there every summer for the last 20 years.

A few weeks ago he noticed his electric bill was out of whack so sent a neighbor to check it out. Pipe burst in the second floor bathroom, leaked down into the first floor bathroom, kitchen, etc. Mold on the furniture and drywalls, wood warped, etc. He had this beautiful wide board knotty pine flooring flooring that had to be torn out. Dude is devastated, this is where he spends most of his summer, same place he spent as a with his family renting cabins.

Good news is insurance is covering almost all of the remediation and reconstruction, and the contents. Smart thing is that he uses a service to winterize his house at the end of the season instead of doing it himself. So at least they can’t go after my friend.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Any idea what the winterizing service hosed up?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Any idea what the winterizing service hosed up?

They didn't turn off the water to begin with.......

So my guess with zero other information is that they didn't do the job at all. It's amazingly common in a lot of vacation/cabin type communities with a bunch of methed out local yokels servicing things like this.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Waiting to hear back but yeah this is mid-state Maine, if you don’t drain the whole system you’re asking for trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

There's no 'going after the homeowner' by the carrier here. Freeze damage & ensuing water damage can be denied if the temperature was not maintained, but it's hard to prove unless the electric service was cut off.

Insurance will make it right. Even the frozen pipes/plumbing. All of the materials are available. True it won't be exactly the same, but it should be close. And he may get is deductible back through subrogation if it was an actual commercial enterprise.