Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
OK, next let's catch up on Big Nate.

I really hate this conclusion because they clearly showed Nate doing his homework earlier. Plus a lack of perfect knowledge is easily papered over by saying you only recently became a fan.

Also, I stand by my earlier statement that the ideal ending would have been to have the fad fall out of favor just as Nate gets on the bandwagon only to have him realize to his horror that he now unironically enjoys her music. It would be a fun little joke to bring up from time to time that would humanize him just a little bit.

Why on earth does Nate have the local weatherman's phone number? :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
And finally here's Blind Alley

Peanuts and C&H will pick up where we left off tomorrow.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Also I might start posting a Norwegian comic I discovered recently called Dunce for a bit. Mostly because I like the art and want an excuse to keep up on it. It seems to be about a dumbass living with his son and dog in the middle of nowhere.

Unfortunately there's no official release in English (he's working on getting his books localized apparently) or centralized hub of old comics that I've been able to find so I'll be going off the random one-offs that get posted on social media. Let me know if this gets annoying. It doesn't seem to be plot-driven so I don't think this will cause any problems with understanding the continuity. If his collections ever get a proper US release I'll start again and post them in the proper order.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

fascinating, but what's the joke in the comic

She's going to sell handjobs to geeks.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 6/11/50

Archie 12/16-18/46

Yeah, it was a thing for teenagers to write amusing slogans on their cars back then.

That's a pretty good Mad Hatter.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 1, 2023

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

readingatwork posted:

Also I might start posting a Norwegian comic I discovered recently called Dunce for a bit. Mostly because I like the art and want an excuse to keep up on it. It seems to be about a dumbass living with his son and dog in the middle of nowhere.

Unfortunately there's no official release in English (he's working on getting his books localized apparently) or centralized hub of old comics that I've been able to find so I'll be going off the random one-offs that get posted on social media. Let me know if this gets annoying. It doesn't seem to be plot-driven so I don't think this will cause any problems with understanding the continuity. If his collections ever get a proper US release I'll start again and post them in the proper order.
I was planning to post Dunce but the strips were behind a Patreon paywall. I found him because Will Henry mentioned him in an interview as a cartoonist he likes. I'm still backing him and he probably wouldn't mind but I never got around to asking him if I could post it here, which some posters were concerned about.

Stuff on his social media should be open season though for the thread, I think.

His updates lately have been great. He's really doing well in his career and has a lot of projects and potential projects in the works. He's such a nice guy I can't help but root for him.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Holbrook Has Never Heard Of Stuxnet

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
it makes me feel so much less stupid or culturally unaware seeing other people ask for boysendorgz to get explained

somepartsareme posted:

I thought it was a mansplaining joke

same

riderchop fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 1, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mister Olympus posted:

fascinating, but what's the joke in the comic

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

She's going to sell handjobs to geeks.

I was going to add "born thirty years too soon", but that only works if we're telling the history of the world backwards.

Our Boarding House (October 1-3, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (December 9-11, 1920)

MOTHER RETURNED TO FIND DAD HAD ALL HER NEW SOFA CUSHIONS ON THE FLOOR UNDER THE RUG so that he could practice putting on a "Rolling Green".

AUNT EPPIE HOGG, THE FATTEST WOMAN IN THREE COUNTIES: Every other time Aunt Eppie has seen an aeroplane she has to wait till it was almost level with the eye and only a faint speck in the distance.

Dok's Dippy Dijonnaise (August 31, 1914)

Little Lefty (April 14-16, 1938)

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House (October 1-3, 1923)

I am completely and ironically on the edge of my seat.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 28, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

This pun is probably incomprehensible to almost everyone. Lauri Törhönen is a Finnish movie director, and THE UNDRESSING is apparently his best known movie, where "a prominent minister and his old flame share a night in a hotel room. Through passion and rejection, they undress the past together".

But in this case it's Lauri Törhönen being undressed.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Durn it, I chuckled.

Anyways, in today's Blueberry: Ike gets some bad news, or Ringo engages in just a little desecration, or Would that this picnic by the riverside came at a less mournful time

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 15, 1956)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

CommonShore posted:

And this is how Garm invented the turducken

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
occurs to me that a lot of poo poo in Val would not happen if Aleta was there to give everyone a stern look.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Garm is about to fight wolves. Unnecessary but awesome I bet.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/31/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 9/11-13/50

Smokey Stover 10/25/53

Everyday Movies 4/8/36

"Couldn't the WPA find me a job that I especially qualify for? I'm an excellent judge of good eating and drinking."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/10-12/41

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 1, 2023

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

FINGERPORI

This pun is probably incomprehensible to almost everyone. Lauri Törhönen is a Finnish movie director, and THE UNDRESSING is apparently his best known movie, where "a prominent minister and his old flame share a night in a hotel room. Through passion and rejection, they undress the past together".

But in this case it's Lauri Törhönen being undressed.

While the pun doesn't come through I think the joke works well enough. You do a really good job at translating a lot of these while keeping what, I assume, is the original pun/joke spirit in tact

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Oh, Becky...

ftfy

Modesty Blaise: Death of a Jester

Next Time: The Stone Aged Caper!

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 1, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Responding to criticism that Dustin isn't treated fairly and deserves better Kelley and Parker think fast and make Dustin as unlikeable as Ed!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy
Original

You're welcome:

Dustin

Mandrake

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Kennel posted:

Nancy
Original

You're welcome:

Center your glass magnifying here

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Mennä läpi = to get through (either literally or figuratively, like in English)
Mennä heittämällä läpi = idiom for "to get through very easily without issues"
Heittää = to throw
Mennä heittämällä läpi = to get through by means of being thrown/to get through just by throwing
Using the word 'katsastus' ('inspection') to refer to the building instead of the practice is slightly odd, pretty much the same way it'd be in English.

ANSU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Thirty years later, Dolly tearfully recounts to her therapist when she first began to feel she was unworthy of any kind of love.

Slylock Fox

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

But that's not true and you have to know it!

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

It's a trick, Phantom! They have socialized health care!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:lol:

https://www.science.org/content/article/how-do-wombats-poop-cubes-scientists-get-bottom-mystery

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (April 1, 1976)

Miss Peach (September 16, 1989)

The Crankshaft we got today...

..and the one I kind of wish we got.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 1, 1939)

Out Our Ways Of Future Past has a half-assed theme this year.

(May 26, 1967, the day Sgt. Pepper came out)

(March 1, 1973, release date for Dark Side of the Moon)

(December 12, 1976, the closest I could get to my final pick, Hotel California. If they were still publishing dailies, every paper I could find had dropped it for Jumble by now.)

But there's one I just couldn't leave out, even if I didn't have an album to tie it to.

(A proof-of-life panel from December 19, 1967 in case you were worried they wouldn't make it through the war.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 5, 2023

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil THorp

Home Free

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

There's just so much to hate here, it's an everlasting spring. It's like I'll actually run out of gently caress Yous.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I always get behind on this thread. Anyway,

Kevin shouldn't be able to camouflage himself from anyone by standing in front of a white board! The animals in Hellworld go off scent, not by eyesight! There's literally multiple strips where they make a joke that they can't trick the human kid with pheromones because he uses his eyes instead of his nose! Get you own loving lore right you goddamn hack!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I always get behind on this thread. Anyway,

Kevin shouldn't be able to camouflage himself from anyone by standing in front of a white board! The animals in Hellworld go off scent, not by eyesight! There's literally multiple strips where they make a joke that they can't trick the human kid with pheromones because he uses his eyes instead of his nose! Get you own loving lore right you goddamn hack!
Agreed, but she still wouldn't be able to track him by scent because he would smell of wolf pu-

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Comic Strips 2023: This pun is probably incomprehensible to almost everyone.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

Mennä läpi = to get through (either literally or figuratively, like in English)
Mennä heittämällä läpi = idiom for "to get through very easily without issues"
Heittää = to throw
Mennä heittämällä läpi = to get through by means of being thrown/to get through just by throwing
Using the word 'katsastus' ('inspection') to refer to the building instead of the practice is slightly odd, pretty much the same way it'd be in English.
I can't get enough of Fingerpori. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Hibernation, you say?

Sad Bear