Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(July 16, 1916)

Little Nemo(December 10, 1905)

What a dweeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
The early Little Nemo strips before he actually manages to get to Dreamland and stay there really capture that weird frustrating quality some dreams have where you're just kind of doing the same thing over and over again.

PetraCore posted:

It might help if they wore pants. I mean that wouldn't help the soaked in water problem but just like, in general.

I'm pretty sure some kind of trousers or hose would be more historically accurate too. :shrug:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 08, 1956)

I haven't seen Empire Strikes Back in a long time so please forgive the lack of a quote or joke about that.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/30/03

Brenda Starr 9/10/50

Smokey Stover 10/11/53

Everyday Movies 4/7/36

"I'd better put the 'room to let' sign in the window again, Tim, the front hall bedroom is fighting with the rear double over staying in the bath too long."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/9/41

Bonus Ad! I wouldn't mind seeing the octopus-lobster fight.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 31, 2023

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Selachian posted:

Probably about five or six years, whenever Dan DeCarlo comes in and revamps the characters into their more modern style (which is also around the time where Montana stops doing ongoing stories and it becomes a gag-a-day strip).

He looks like the sterotypical Japanese person from WWII propaganda comics.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/9/41

Every villain in this strip is amazing. I love this woman's plot escalating from ransom to garden shears at the first setback.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

ANSU - starting on my second collection of ANSU cartoons!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ugh I had a feeling they were going to have her work at the restaurant.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Garm is a dude who knows exactly what Aleta will do to him if that kid freezes

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Medenmath posted:

The early Little Nemo strips before he actually manages to get to Dreamland and stay there really capture that weird frustrating quality some dreams have where you're just kind of doing the same thing over and over again.

I'm pretty sure some kind of trousers or hose would be more historically accurate too. :shrug:

I haven't seen Empire Strikes Back in a long time so please forgive the lack of a quote or joke about that.

And this is how Garm invented the turducken

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

CommonShore posted:

And this is how Garm invented the turducken

Moosedeerarn

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alterian posted:

Ugh I had a feeling they were going to have her work at the restaurant.
Isn't she just bothering Tiff to beg for money, that she totally deserves, and is going throw a tantrum and/or sulk when told to work for her money.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Poil posted:

Isn't she just bothering Tiff to beg for money, that she totally deserves, and is going throw a tantrum and/or sulk when told to work for her money.

She's going to go work with Tiff and one will be better than the other and it'll cause conflict.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

I love that the woman with the purse looks like she could be a future Amelia :allears:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

She totally is too, at least in my "head canon".

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

LvK posted:

I love that the woman with the purse looks like she could be a future Amelia :allears:

Somebody had to make sure those chowderheads completed their mission without any paradoxes.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wallace the Brave continues to be the best.

F MInus

I would like a non-Euclidian couch.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Oh it must be Rene, of course.

Andertoons

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Time travel stories are always poison but this Wallace stuff is gold. It's very confusing.

edit: what a great Andertoons

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Time travel stories are always poison but this Wallace stuff is gold. It's very confusing.

edit: what a great Andertoons

The trick that's making it so good in wallace is that it might be time travel for real, it might be wallace imagining things and the guy deciding to play along with the strange child, and the art is done to specifically allow this ambiguity

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (May 6, 1935)

Peanuts (April 9, 1976)

Miss Peach (September 15, 1989)

Crankshaft

You remember when I told you lot at the beginning of the week how my collection got destroyed by a leak from a damaged roof?
It's like Batiuk and Davis are flipping me off now.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 31, 1939)

Out Our Way (June 12-14, 1941; spoilers for the Usual Reasons.)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Death of a Jester

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Ok so if like me you were wondering what a "jerky track" was a brief google leads me to think it probably was a track which had water pans, or troughs, in it so that early steam engines that needed to rewater could do so without stopping.

Supposedly this lead to the term "jerkwater town", a town so dinky you didn't bother stopping the train there. Maybe. The more common explanation you'll see for the term is that engineers would literally "jerk" water in buckets up from a railside creek to refill their tank, or that the "jerk" was from having to pull down the spout of a railside water tower, and places where you had to do this were places without a real train station - hence "jerkwater town". I don't know, pick whichever one appeals to you.

Welp, that's my jerk story!

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 31, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
OK, back from vacation! Time to start catching up.

Let's start with Crabgrass:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Neophyte posted:

Ok so if like me you were wondering what a "jerky track" was a brief google leads me to think it probably was a track which had water pans, or troughs, in it so that early steam engines that needed to rewater could do so without stopping.

Supposedly this lead to the term "jerkwater town", a town so dinky you didn't bother stopping the train there. Maybe. The more common explanation you'll see for the term is that engineers would literally "jerk" water in buckets up from a railside creek to refill their tank, or that the "jerk" was from having to pull down the spout of a railside water tower, and places where you had to do this were places without a real train station - hence "jerkwater town". I don't know, pick whichever one appeals to you.

Welp, that's my jerk story!

fascinating, but what's the joke in the comic

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Mister Olympus posted:

fascinating, but what's the joke in the comic

I'm guessing it's her kid trying to run away and join the circus.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, it looks like she's carrying a razor strop, which is one of the traditional implements for whupping one's kids with.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Selachian posted:

Yeah, it looks like she's carrying a razor strop, which is one of the traditional implements for whupping one's kids with.

I thought it was a mansplaining joke

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

You know, I'm normally not too chuffed by this comic, but uh, we've already had this plot beat? Why are you surprised by this at all?

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

readingatwork posted:

OK, back from vacation! Time to start catching up.

Let's start with Crabgrass:

Welcome back.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

You're Keri's mom, right? If they're causing trouble at school, shouldn't you, you know, care?

Home Free

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

He paid $3000 for a (new) rear-projection TV? In 2023? Or am I just forgetting that Crabgrass takes place like 30 years ago and thus this makes more sense.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I thought there was speculation that Crabgrass is set in the '80s? I don't know that it's made super clear in the strip, though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Angry_Ed posted:

He paid $3000 for a (new) rear-projection TV? In 2023? Or am I just forgetting that Crabgrass takes place like 30 years ago and thus this makes more sense.

Crabgrass takes place in a nebulous setting between 1987 and today depending on the needs of the plot.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

Crabgrass takes place in a nebulous setting between 1987 and today depending on the needs of the plot.

Fair enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl