Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly the logistics would bring it up to around $80-85 with packing materials and shipping but if anyone is that desperate i could grab a bottle or 2 for you

It's a wegmans in new jersey

I didn't grab any because I have a 2/3 full of Green and I spent way too much on other booze tonight (re-up on Fernet, Goslings and Smith & Cross, bottle of Plantation OFTD, bottle of Madeira...)

In addition to the above I planned a bit of a sneaky move - my buddy's birthday is Saturday and I got him a bottle of El Dorado 15....I also grabbed myself a bottle of 12, and am gonna bring that, plus what's left of my 5, and have a nice little tasting :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'll take that as a sign of hope that maybe some more is on the way to other regionssssss?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’m also in NJ and have seen it fully stocked at several stores

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Honestly the logistics would bring it up to around $80-85 with packing materials and shipping but if anyone is that desperate i could grab a bottle or 2 for you

It's a wegmans in new jersey

I didn't grab any because I have a 2/3 full of Green and I spent way too much on other booze tonight (re-up on Fernet, Goslings and Smith & Cross, bottle of Plantation OFTD, bottle of Madeira...)

In addition to the above I planned a bit of a sneaky move - my buddy's birthday is Saturday and I got him a bottle of El Dorado 15....I also grabbed myself a bottle of 12, and am gonna bring that, plus what's left of my 5, and have a nice little tasting :angel:

I knew there was a reason that price sticker looked familiar. I miss Wegmans so much.

Haven't been able to find Chartreuse for less than $90 for a while in LA -- but a friend just gifted me a barely opened big bottle of green that he got as a gag wedding gift like 8 years ago.

Still tastes great!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
It’s about $60 here in New Orleans, not always available but more often than not.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Made a boulevardier subbing in cynar for campari. It's really nice! Would recommend, smokey and bitter.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Carillon posted:

Made a boulevardier subbing in cynar for campari. It's really nice! Would recommend, smokey and bitter.
Gonna try one of these tonight. They are also really good with Zucca Rabarbaro, especially with scotch subbed in for the bourbon on a cold winter day.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Carillon posted:

That sounds great! Bitter Giuseppe is one of my favs so I'm already convinced Cynar + Sweet Vermouth is a winning combo. And I'm not usually a huge fan of Carpano Antica but it's really good with Cynar.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Carillon posted:

That's my go to. I don't mind the bright bitter of Campari, but that deep dark bitter you get from Cynar can't be beat.

Next try it with a high proof whiskey and Cynar 70.

What vermouth did you use? I gravitate towards Punt e Mes for mine. Carpano Antica gets too sweet if I don't have the higher proof stuff.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's my go to. I don't mind the bright bitter of Campari, but that deep dark bitter you get from Cynar can't be beat.

Next try it with a high proof whiskey and Cynar 70.

What vermouth did you use? I gravitate towards Punt e Mes for mine. Carpano Antica gets too sweet if I don't have the higher proof stuff.

I've fallen in love pretty hard with cocchi these days, other then the 'cork', it's pretty perfect to my tastes.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Carillon posted:

I've fallen in love pretty hard with cocchi these days, other then the 'cork', it's pretty perfect to my tastes.

Cocchi Torino is my favorite for a Manhattan. So good and not overly sweet like carpano has gotten for me.

Also did Manhattans with Jack Daniel's Rye, Noilly Prat vermouth, and Aztec chocolate bitters. So good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cocchi has that amazing chocolate taste going for it, it's a situational call but overall I think I like it better than carpano antica

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

We just this week put a cynar / vermouth drink on the menu and people are loving it. It's a sort 4th regiment/toronto type thing:

345th
50ml Rye Whiskey
25ml Sweet vermouth
20ml cynar
2ml (1 barspoon ) maple syrup
1 dash ango
1 dash celery
1 dash orange

Long stir, up, orange twist. We use WT101 rye but any low-rye mashbill rye will work

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I drank a Bienvenidos

1.5 oz Del Maguey Vida mezcal
.75 oz Kahlua
.75 oz fresh lime juice

Shaken and double strained into a chilled old fashioned glass.

I’ve read that this is very difficult to balance, but this mixed up nicely. Could have gone with an a ounce of Kahlua, it kinda gets lost against the lime. Good drink, would recommend.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

We just this week put a cynar / vermouth drink on the menu and people are loving it. It's a sort 4th regiment/toronto type thing:

345th
50ml Rye Whiskey
25ml Sweet vermouth
20ml cynar
2ml (1 barspoon ) maple syrup
1 dash ango
1 dash celery
1 dash orange

Long stir, up, orange twist. We use WT101 rye but any low-rye mashbill rye will work

Ooh, that sounds lovely.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Tonight I drank a Bienvenidos

1.5 oz Del Maguey Vida mezcal
.75 oz Kahlua
.75 oz fresh lime juice

Shaken and double strained into a chilled old fashioned glass.

I’ve read that this is very difficult to balance, but this mixed up nicely. Could have gone with an a ounce of Kahlua, it kinda gets lost against the lime. Good drink, would recommend.

just made one of these at work with our house espresso liqueur. went up to 1oz of that and added a single dash of angostura and really loved it. great suggestion.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7211529597643541802

I have a birthday party to go to this week and I’m interested in making this for friends there

Problem is, Empirical Spirits: The Plum will take about 10 days to get here

Is there a local place in Los Angeles that would have it

Barring that, is there a substitute for this liquor

Barring that, are there other floating head cocktails like this that I can make with easier to find ingredients? Preferably tropical in flavor

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My local BevMo sucks now btw. Half the floor is potato chips and soda now!

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7211529597643541802

I have a birthday party to go to this week and I’m interested in making this for friends there

Problem is, Empirical Spirits: The Plum will take about 10 days to get here

Is there a local place in Los Angeles that would have it

Barring that, is there a substitute for this liquor

Barring that, are there other floating head cocktails like this that I can make with easier to find ingredients? Preferably tropical in flavor

I haven't been there or anything but there's a place called Flask and Field that claims to have it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Awesome! Thanks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Huh. Empirical Spirits was founded by Noma alumni and they just announced they’re moving to Brooklyn.

Iy looks like they’re using a rotovap to make their infused liquors, which is pretty awesome

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 4, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How much should a highball glass hold? I have several that hold 13oz if filled to the top

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
1-1.5 cups. 8-12 oz. In that area. 13 would be big but not overly so.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Ohio goons, Ohio has delisted both Angostura 5 and 1919 rums, so now is your last chance to buy them in-state. They knocked the prices down to $16 and $27 dollars respectively

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I found the Ango 5 Year rum to be pretty meh myself.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend a tropical fruit liqueur, like the mango or passion fruit equivalent of Midori

Edit: or peach

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 6, 2023

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Can anyone recommend a tropical fruit liqueur, like the mango or passion fruit equivalent of Midori

Edit: or peach

Giffard makes a passion fruit and a mango liqueur. I haven't tried them but their banana and apricot liqueurs are A+.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Passoã is the definitive (or at least trendy) passionfruit liqueur and it shows up in a number of recipes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Human Tornada posted:

Giffard makes a passion fruit and a mango liqueur. I haven't tried them but their banana and apricot liqueurs are A+.

Giffard Banane du Bresil is incredible stuff

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Chinola Passionfruit is excellent

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Mission Wine & Liquor didn’t have mango, but they had several other flavors. I settled on peach, if it’s good I think I’ll try getting some of the other flavors too

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kenning posted:

Giffard Banane du Bresil is incredible stuff

I use this in so many cocktails where you wouldn't expect it. Great liquor.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Taking this opportunity to repost this one

Human Tornada posted:

Bananarac

1 cognac
1 rye
½ Giffard banane
½ rich Demerara simple
Dash aromatic bitters (Bitter Truth recommended)
Absinthe rinse/spray
Lemon peel expressed and discarded

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Eeeenteresting

Doesn’t taste like something I’d center a drink around, but a very good backup choir for other flavors

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 6, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Ohhh this is wonderful, just the right amount of sweetness and an extremely lush flavor

Gonna be a safe bet for all their flavors

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The Plum one sounds like a floral amaretto.

Giffard is a safe bet across the board. They have a liqueur lineup and a creme lineup. The bottles that look like that are cremes - richer, sweeter, lower ABV. Absolutely delicious. I use their abricot de roussillon liqueur whenever I can, especially in the warmer months

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The Maestro posted:

The Plum one sounds like a floral amaretto.

Giffard is a safe bet across the board. They have a liqueur lineup and a creme lineup. The bottles that look like that are cremes - richer, sweeter, lower ABV. Absolutely delicious. I use their abricot de roussillon liqueur whenever I can, especially in the warmer months

Oh yeah I was gonna ask, there were a bunch of Giffard bottles that had no pictures, those are the liqueurs?

Edit: ahh I see

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 7, 2023

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Yea the liqueur lineup has the simple white label

Edit: looks like I’m talking about their “premium” liqueurs. They have regular and cremes in the bottle that you have. And syrups etc - their orgeat makes a fine Mai Tai

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 7, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ahh gently caress should I adjust the simple syrup in the melona bar recipe then?

1oz Midori <— what I’m using the peach to replace
0.75 oz Mizu Shochu
0.5ox Empirical Spirits Plum
0.75oz Supasawa
0.5oz Simple syrup
Heaping tablespoon mascarpone
Top off with seltzer water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Welp this is… the cocktail equivalent of taking off your date’s bra to find paper towels in there (or your date’s pants to find he filled his pants with a couple socks)

It’s a whole lot of foam that looks awesome when you’re serving it but very unsatisfying to actually drink, and gross looking if you trying to flatten the foam by mixing the straw around

I might adjust it so there’s more actual liquid to drink and less head

Edit: okay, the Ramos gin fizz, which was the inspiration for the Melona bar, has a lot more drink and much smaller head. Will need to experiment with adjustments.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 7, 2023