Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

cptn_dr posted:

I made a Mezcal Arsenic and Old Lace last night and it was one of the nicest drinks I've ever made. I might add sliiightly more violet next time because it got pretty lost, but other than that it was really delightful.

2 parts mezcal
1 part vermouth
Dash absinthe
2 dash Violette

I really liked it, would recommend.

Edit: For mezcal forward drink suggestions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
A mezcal Negroni or Last Word is delightful. The Naked and Famous is popular around these parts
.75oz each Mezcal, Aperol, Yellow Chartreuse, and lime.

I’m a fan of a split tequila/mezcal Paloma, or just having some with a grapefruit radler on the side.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I like all gins, but I always find myself coming back to Bombay, Beefeater, and Tanqueray depending on what handle is cheaper when I'm buying it. And sometimes I even go back to Gordon's. That's just the specific taste I want in my martinis and negronis and such.

I have a friend - not super close but someone who hosts parties / is at parties - who has a super rare but super deadly allergy to anise/liquorice/fennel. She's done fairly extensive research into which gins (and spiced rums) do not have these things in them, and Tanqueray is one of the few.

So I mostly keep that around as a base gin in case I want to bring a cocktail to a party she's hosting.

For my wedding, she was a guest, and I wanted to have a Martinez variant I came up with, so I went to a bunch of effort to make my own vermouth and bitters just to ensure they wouldn't accidentally kill her.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I have a friend - not super close but someone who hosts parties / is at parties - who has a super rare but super deadly allergy to anise/liquorice/fennel. She's done fairly extensive research into which gins (and spiced rums) do not have these things in them, and Tanqueray is one of the few.

So I mostly keep that around as a base gin in case I want to bring a cocktail to a party she's hosting.

For my wedding, she was a guest, and I wanted to have a Martinez variant I came up with, so I went to a bunch of effort to make my own vermouth and bitters just to ensure they wouldn't accidentally kill her.

I’m curious if that applies to all tanqs or just the base one

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Saladito seems to me like a cocktail that wouldn't be nearly as good with "regular tequila" vs. mezcal. Since it's basically a spicy version of a margarita, the extra smokiness usually adds something to it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like a split base Tommy’s margarita. I use whatever Blanco tequila I have on hand (currently Hornitos) and Del Maguey Vida mezcal.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
This year I went through the steoreotypical guy in his 20s phase of getting really into building a bar collection and getting into spirits, and we went from an empty cabinet to having dozens of barely opened liqueurs. Funnily enough, I've found that my drink of choice is a neat whiskey.

Any thoughts on how to use Domaine de Canton, a ginger liqueur? I used it in a sparkling paloma with some success, but I'm wondering about the whiskey/rum/brandy cocktails it can go in.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kevin DuBrow posted:

This year I went through the steoreotypical guy in his 20s phase of getting really into building a bar collection and getting into spirits, and we went from an empty cabinet to having dozens of barely opened liqueurs. Funnily enough, I've found that my drink of choice is a neat whiskey.

Any thoughts on how to use Domaine de Canton, a ginger liqueur? I used it in a sparkling paloma with some success, but I'm wondering about the whiskey/rum/brandy cocktails it can go in.

I’m no mixologist but first thing that comes to mind is adding it to a lemon cocktail like a French 75?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The ginger rogers was good enough for me to take a photo of the menu but I can't remember what Amaro they used

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Professor Wayne posted:

Speaking of youtube bartenders, I just made this drink. Pretty sure it's the first whole egg drink I've ever had. I'm still trying to decide if I really like it, but it's definitely rich as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzmVLMzQjNo

I'm drinking this right now and I love it. Reminds me of an iced mexican mocha.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I’m no mixologist but first thing that comes to mind is adding it to a lemon cocktail like a French 75?

Sounds delicious!

What about a dark and stormy with ginger?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is chambord good?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Sure, what do you want to do with it?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tonight I made a La Louisiane.

1.25 oz Whistle Pig Rye 10 year Single Barrel (117 proof)
3/4 oz Dolin Sweet Vermouth
3/4 oz Benedictine
2 dashes Angostura and 2 dashes Peychauds
Rinsed glass with Absente 100 and expressed lemon peel

I feel very warm in my chest now. If you like Sazeracs, try this one sometime.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I've used some other ginger liquor in this one, but I remember liking it quite a bit:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I should drink less

Tonight I made two drinks: a Greenpoint and a Sazerac

Greenpoint
2 oz Rittenhouse rye whiskey
1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1/2 oz sweet vermouth (Dolin)
1 dash Angostura
1 dash orange bitters (Bitter Housewife brand)
Expressed lemon peel
Served up in a martini glass

Sazerac
1 oz Rittenhouse rye
1 oz Hennessy cognac
1/2 Demerara syrup (1.5/1 ratio)
2 dashes peychauds bitters
Expressed lemon peel
Served up in rocks glass sprayed with Absente 100

The greenpoint is nice but the sazerac is probably my favorite cocktail ever. If you’ve never made one with brandy, you should.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Mmm I do like a split base Sazerac. My favorite rendition I’ve made was a black pepper infused brandy or cognac, 1oz of that and 1oz of rye with Peychaud’s and a quarter oz of Demerara syrup.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'll definitely try that split base sazerac. The store I went to had a sale on some brandy so I bought a 1.75L bottle and it's very tastey. It's E&J so not the highest end I'm sure but very enjoyable. Next time I'll upgrade to proper Cognac; does using regular brandy matter that much vs proper cognac? I've never really had either very extensively so my knowledge of it is limited.

Also the folks saying that a bottle of absinthe would last me years are 100% on the money. That's definitely not my liquor at all, but I used it to make an Improved Whiskey Cocktail and that was maybe the best whiskey drink I've ever had in my life.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Got early Christmas gifted a set of the Bitterman's Elemakule, Xocolatl Mole, and Hellfire Habanero Shrub bitters.

Do I just use them in place of other bitters when requested in recipes?

Addendum: Oh wow i didn't know Mixel had them in the ingredients list and recipes for their use, must have been added in a recent update?

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 18, 2022

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Strange Matter posted:

I'll definitely try that split base sazerac. The store I went to had a sale on some brandy so I bought a 1.75L bottle and it's very tastey. It's E&J so not the highest end I'm sure but very enjoyable. Next time I'll upgrade to proper Cognac; does using regular brandy matter that much vs proper cognac?

Sazeracs are S-tier cocktails, and split base is a great variation.

You will notice the difference of a nicer brandy like a cognac in a spirit-forward cocktail like a sazerac. I think it's worth using real cognac/armagnac/other nice brandy from an AOC, and going up to VSOP grade. Beyond that is too nice for cocktails, and going down to VS is fine, but yeah, get a named brandy variety usually IMO.

(Also if you've got 1.75L of E&J hanging around: brandy sodas after heavy dinners, brandy to deglaze your pan sauces, brandy in your egg nog, etc. That's a shitload of very mid brandy, and this is a good time of year to have that problem.)

Quixotic1 posted:

Got early Christmas gifted a set of the Bitterman's Elemakule, Xocolatl Mole, and Hellfire Habanero Shrub bitters.

Do I just use them in place of other bitters when requested in recipes?

Addendum: Oh wow i didn't know Mixel had them in the ingredients list and recipes for their use, must have been added in a recent update?

Yeah, you can do that to make some fun variations on your usual drinks, but also, yeah, they're specific ingredients in their own right. I think the best way to get to know a new bitters is just to make an old fashioned with it, in whatever spirit/sugar/bitters ratio you usually like. The tiki bitters are great with rum (unsurprisingly), the mole bitters are great with mezcal (unsurprisingly), they both work with other things too. Never had the hellfire, so can't comment there (but a shrub is different from a bitters, it will have a sweet/sour component too).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The elemakule bitters are quite nice in a rum old fashioned. I like 1.5oz of aged column still rum with .5 oz of Plantation OFTD overproof rum, some Demerara syrup and elemakule bitters.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Scythe posted:

Sazeracs are S-tier cocktails, and split base is a great variation.

You will notice the difference of a nicer brandy like a cognac in a spirit-forward cocktail like a sazerac. I think it's worth using real cognac/armagnac/other nice brandy from an AOC, and going up to VSOP grade. Beyond that is too nice for cocktails, and going down to VS is fine, but yeah, get a named brandy variety usually IMO.

(Also if you've got 1.75L of E&J hanging around: brandy sodas after heavy dinners, brandy to deglaze your pan sauces, brandy in your egg nog, etc. That's a shitload of very mid brandy, and this is a good time of year to have that problem.)
I knew enough to get VSOP at least. The store was selling it for $23.00 and so I thought "Well I'm sure this isn't amazing but at least I won't regret spending a lot of money on it." Good suggestion for using it in sauces, I'll let the wife know.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm a fan of Symbole for cheap brandy, you can get the XO for like $20 and it's good enough to mix, but still cheap enough to also use to deglaze food

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
It’s Brandy Alexander season too! Buy good crème de cacao for a holiday treat.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I made one the other day, not bad at all. I used whole milk but I imagine it's a lot better with half and half. I'm also strongly compelled to add some coffee liqueur to it.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I just got my hands on a bottle of Wray and Nephew, what are some recommendations for cocktails to try making with it? I've also got bottles of Plantation 3 Star and El Dorado 8 for mixing with other rums.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
If you like the Sazerac you owe it to yourself to try the Bananarac. A++ in my opinion

Bananarac

1 cognac
1 rye
½ Giffard banane
½ rich Demerara simple
Dash aromatic bitters (Bitter Truth recommended)
Absinthe rinse/spray
Lemon peel expressed and discarded

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I like to split the base unevenly for my Sazerac- 1.5 rittenhouse, .5 Ferrand. Got a lot of compliments back in the day (and I guess now? Hi, I’m bartending again).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Human Tornada posted:

If you like the Sazerac you owe it to yourself to try the Bananarac. A++ in my opinion

Bananarac

1 cognac
1 rye
½ Giffard banane
½ rich Demerara simple
Dash aromatic bitters (Bitter Truth recommended)
Absinthe rinse/spray
Lemon peel expressed and discarded

Here's my variation on this:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

The greenpoint is nice but the sazerac is probably my favorite cocktail ever. If you’ve never made one with brandy, you should.

Hell yeah brother

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

Hell yeah brother

Ice in a Sazerac is heresy.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Normally I'd agree but look it's the middle of summer and I'm dying of humidity

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I've gotten lazy with my sazeracs and use simple instead of muddling sugar, and I add a dash of absinthe instead of doing a proper rinse. No cocktail rules

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
There is absolutely no reason to muddle sugar cubes instead of just using syrup.

And people get mad at me about this one sometimes, but I really don’t think rinsing a glass with absinthe does anything more than just adding a teaspoon or so to the drink itself would do.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
IMO not having ice is a defining characteristic of a sazerac, so much so that sometimes I even serve them up in a small coupe instead of in a rocks glass, but in the height of summer you have to do what you have to do.

Syrup over sugar cubes every time. I made a gomme syrup for the first time recently and it really is luscious.

Also I agree with prayer group that you can mostly just put the absinthe in the drink, but I do think a spritz or two from an atomizer to finish gives more aroma. I gave up on rinsing the glass after a few years in favor of just misting it, it's cool if you can do the thing where you toss the glass vertically with english to spin it around and coat the glass, but otherwise whatever.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

prayer group posted:

There is absolutely no reason to muddle sugar cubes instead of just using syrup.

And people get mad at me about this one sometimes, but I really don’t think rinsing a glass with absinthe does anything more than just adding a teaspoon or so to the drink itself would do.
Presentation wise they are worth doing because it’s such a simple drink that building it in the glass steps it up. Rinsing the glass does make it more aromatic, but if you’re making one at home to drink for yourself it’s probably not worth it.

However, rinsing the glass is a great opportunity to dim the lights and set it on fire then extinguish it by pouring the stirred cocktail in.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The ignite-and-extinguish is fun for sure.

The atomizer on top is definitely the right idea with a sazerac, too.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Yeah atomizer makes it so nice. I don't feel like I'm wasting the absinthe by pouring anything out, and you get even more aroma.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I didn’t know that about ice and sazaracs, I’ll have to try having my next one up.

+1 to the atomizer, they’re cheap and fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Pander posted:

I just made Alton's aged recipe too. I kinda wish I split the rum a bit, went all S&C and that's all I got from the nose. Used old Grand-dad bottled in bond and Pierre ferrand 1840. Only get S&C. I'm sure I'd miss the other flavors if they weren't there, but I'm hoping it mellows as it ages. Got the main batch I'm saving for Xmas in a growler, and taking tastes from a mason jar of overflow periodically before then cause I'm impatient.

Wow, just busted it out for a quick taste and it has absolutely changed. The Smith and cross has been very muted, and now cognac jumps out with nutmeg. It's delightful. Still can't find the bourbon, but I'm sure it adds depth somehow.