Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

*at the road rage shooting scene*
Cop: "Victim is 5'10", approximately 38 years old, and morbidly obese... I'd estimate 400 pounds."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Homocow posted:

I love cars.

i hate em

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was gonna be my first long ride on the new bike, and I was very stupidly pushing as fast as I could, now that I could actually go fast. A motorcycle cut in front of me and I swerved to avoid and I hit a pothole, lost control, and flew off the bike.

The bike is fine though :yayclod:

loving hell dude get well soon

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cars getting increasingly aggro
Woman Struck by Vehicle in Belltown - SPD Blotter

spdblotter.seattle.gov posted:

Seattle Police officers responded to a report of a woman struck by a vehicle in Belltown Saturday morning.

Police arrived shortly before 2 a.m. in the 2300 block of 2nd Avenue and found a 38-year-old female unresponsive in the middle of the roadway. Seattle Fire Department personnel arrived with officers and transported the victim to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Witnesses stated the victim was trying to prevent the suspect from driving away when the suspect accelerated striking the victim.

Officers secured the scene and conducted an area check for the involved vehicle. Officers located the vehicle but have not located the driver.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Shocked that this journalist even entertained the possibility of a driver existing despite the title making it sound like rogue vehicles were just going around striking people on their own.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

BonHair posted:

If you build your entire infrastructure around cars and remove the cars, you're gonna have no infrastructure. USA is hosed because the entire infrastructure is based on cars. Too remove cars, first you gotta get alternatives in place.
But the car infrastructure is in the way of the alternatives. That or the homes of poor people. Who am I kidding? There are no more homes for poor people.

mawarannahr posted:

Witnesses stated the victim was trying to prevent the suspect from driving away when the suspect accelerated striking the victim
Interesting way to say an attempted murder happened.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
I think you'll find the car did the accelerating

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I thought I loved cars until I married one. I loving hate cars now

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Terminal autist posted:

What sort of liberal hellhole do you live in where a psycho maces you and you're unable to respond. Another point in favor of cars, Ill never be a victim

lmao

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/PicturesFoIder/status/1642145872476774400

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Cute car, do you have anything bigger

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Don't worry, it'll grow on you.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

AnimeIsTrash posted:

yeah i have a car becuase i cant wait 8 minutes for a bus either

lmao terminal autist joining in on the trolling made AIT switch tactics to sarcastic "defense" of cars.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

yeah i have a car becuase i cant wait 8 minutes for a bus either

Harik posted:

lmao terminal autist joining in on the trolling made AIT switch tactics to sarcastic "defense" of cars.

AIT redemption arc

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Hubbert posted:

AIT redemption arc

you love to see it

speng31b
May 8, 2010

thought about cars today, a lot to consider

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydu4xI-mE9o

(not a car)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/FuckCarsReddit/status/1642239120947683329

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Xaris posted:

it's an north america thing because of neoliberal rot setting deep into every pore of the body. other countries dont have these compounding problems (or not nearly as badly)

1) gutting all social services, ebt, housing vouchers, etc.
2) increased rent-seeking behavior by the elite (blackrock buying up housing, massive flipping, apartments costing 2k even in minor cities, buying up and shutting down trailer parks, etc) and eradication of affordable housing
3) massive inflation and wage stagnation
4) increased unemployment, also see 1+2+3 power-levelling the problem
5) increased despair and gently caress it, nothing matters anymore. any social contract is broken when its clear no one gives a poo poo about you and only more money for rich, why give a poo poo yourself? smash that poo poo, grope the one moderately attractive women because you wanna feel a boob, just do it. who cares; no one else does.

and it's not that it's exactly dramatically, that's partly a media panic and partly real. but ridership is plummetted and a lot of safety in numbers or like giant car packed full of commuters is a lot better than being like the only person or two on a bus. there's a reason used car prices have skyrocketed and thanks to the pandemic, pretty much everyone even poorer people ran out and bought the cheapest used car they could find.

I think to a large extent the real difference might come down to just how strong the social safety net is.

Where I am wages are significantly lower than the US in equivalent terms, housing if much more expensive as a multiple of household income, inflation is high like everywhere else and wage stagnation is basically the same as everywhere else. The thing I think makes the difference is any kind of social safety net, ours is by no means good but the fact that it exists at all probably keeps the background level of misery lower which means the obvious collapse of society is happening slower.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Terminal autist posted:

What sort of liberal hellhole do you live in where a psycho maces you and you're unable to respond. Another point in favor of cars, Ill never be a victim

while you are trolling i'd like to point out that mace is insanely disabling. on my third date with the now wife, i thought she had a cool toy pistol (bright pink, clear) in her nightstand and started james bond aiming it around the room. as it turns out, it was a Remington mace gel/oil shooter and while waving it around i somehow disabled the safety and fired a big shot that grazed off the top of my hand and splattered on the wall.

the gel is blood red and gives off an incredibly toxic fume that made the whole room uninhabitable without ppe for like 24 hours. even while running to the bathroom to wash it (i thought i had shot myself with a pellet gun or something), the small amount of it on my hand paralyzed my lungs and blinded me for like 15 seconds before my wife got me a good mask. can't imagine being shot in the face or chest with it and taking the full dose

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

while you are trolling i'd like to point out that mace is insanely disabling. on my third date with the now wife, i thought she had a cool toy pistol (bright pink, clear) in her nightstand and started james bond aiming it around the room. as it turns out, it was a Remington mace gel/oil shooter and while waving it around i somehow disabled the safety and fired a big shot that grazed off the top of my hand and splattered on the wall.

the gel is blood red and gives off an incredibly toxic fume that made the whole room uninhabitable without ppe for like 24 hours. even while running to the bathroom to wash it (i thought i had shot myself with a pellet gun or something), the small amount of it on my hand paralyzed my lungs and blinded me for like 15 seconds before my wife got me a good mask. can't imagine being shot in the face or chest with it and taking the full dose

lmao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
just eat it it's just peppers

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

rofl @ mask wearers

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

the safety of subways etc. vary widely but in my/my wife's experience like 7/10 rides are fine and the remaining ones are either a little stressful or unsafe. the big thing is that you don't know when the ride will be safe or stressful, it feels like you have to be alert all the time. for us all it really took was one bad trip to make every subsequent trip very stressful, and i was pretty happy when we could finally afford cars to drive

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

NeatHeteroDude posted:

oh my god lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Not Just Bikes and Foreign Man in a Foreign Land did a great collab on Nassau

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvikTp47i_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdz6FeQLuHQ

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

NeatHeteroDude posted:

the safety of subways etc. vary widely but in my/my wife's experience like 7/10 rides are fine and the remaining ones are either a little stressful or unsafe. the big thing is that you don't know when the ride will be safe or stressful, it feels like you have to be alert all the time. for us all it really took was one bad trip to make every subsequent trip very stressful, and i was pretty happy when we could finally afford cars to drive

thank god you can drive a car now so you dont need to be alert all the time

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

NeatHeteroDude posted:

hahaha drat

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

NeatHeteroDude posted:

lmfao

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Traffic sucks.
Every empty parking you drive past, is time taken away from your life.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

NeatHeteroDude posted:

i was pretty happy when we could finally afford cars to drive
this. cars ftw

speng31b
May 8, 2010

my favorite part of a car is when you sit in your car before going into work, and don't go into work for a little while. you just sit there and chill

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

speng31b posted:

my favorite part of a car is when you sit in your car before going into work, and don't go into work for a little while. you just sit there and chill
I also like crying a little bit before walking headfirst into work the outcome of years of mistakes.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CopperHound posted:

I also like crying a little bit before walking headfirst into work the outcome of years of mistakes.

When I used to drive to the airplane hangars every day i'd sometimes have a little scream session, as a treat.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Get better Gradenko you hoon.

Ardennes posted:

I think it is more than the media though, at least in Portland, hit and runs and homicides are far higher than they were in 2019, and the result on the social fabric is telling. California doesn't seem different. I think eventually there is going to be another push to be "tough of crime" but at lot of the issue is cops are extremely expensive and more extreme tactics are not really sustainable.

Cars are a part of that in the sense they are making sure there isn't a real solution as transit funding tries up and non-car infrastructure gets minimal funding among obviously a ton of other issues. Housing is expensive in part for example because of terrible land use, and how does that happen?

I guess you can do an attempt at cheeky "well cars are not the real problem"-style misdirection but cars clearly enhance some of the worst aspects of neoliberalism. The Soviets hosed up by promoting cars as much as they did and perhaps it was a sign of where the communist party was going.

I'm not sure it was a mistake for the Soviets to concentrate on cars. China for instance produced in 2022 as many cars as the next four countries combined. It's been a big part of their economic success. However, around 2010, Beijing and Shanghai began to see a fall in the of car use.

Beijing

Shanghai

I haven't had a chance to get through this article yet but it looks like the driving (haha) factor is an increase in public transport. They have not had a problem implementing this despite the fairly recent boom in car use. Beijing for instance has about the same amount of cars per capita as New York City.
I think it is liberalism that prevents more widespread adoption of public transport, not car use. If personal motor vehicles were not really a thing, you know however we were getting around would be messed up, just in a different way, because of our modes of production and ordering society.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

speng31b posted:

Let your song finish playing, take a sip from your morning beverage and let the suffocating wave of the bullshit you're about to endure wash over you.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

Get better Gradenko you hoon.

I'm not sure it was a mistake for the Soviets to concentrate on cars. China for instance produced in 2022 as many cars as the next four countries combined. It's been a big part of their economic success. However, around 2010, Beijing and Shanghai began to see a fall in the of car use.

Beijing

Shanghai

I haven't had a chance to get through this article yet but it looks like the driving (haha) factor is an increase in public transport. They have not had a problem implementing this despite the fairly recent boom in car use. Beijing for instance has about the same amount of cars per capita as New York City.
I think it is liberalism that prevents more widespread adoption of public transport, not car use. If personal motor vehicles were not really a thing, you know however we were getting around would be messed up, just in a different way, because of our modes of production and ordering society.

The massive boulevards in Moscow and other major Soviet cities didn’t make life better, and honestly China probably too went as well. I mean there is an argument to be made that you need some cars and ISI isn’t a bad thing, but the issue is letting it intrude on the landscape of urban areas.

Obviously, the Soviets also pretty limited numbers of cars and parking, but they didn’t fully escape the mistakes of the US.

Also, if you let it, car use over time is going to eventually decide in land use. It is just that China was able to hold it together for the most part and not allow out of control sprawl but even so you still have plenty of freeways in most Chinese cities.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:07 on Apr 2, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

car forum mod posting in this thread... troubling...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

What's this? Presuming you don't mean the Pakistani spooks.