Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

flashbacks to re7 beginning hour

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stop Skeletons From Fighting has a good comparison video of the original demo and the chainsaw demo and wtf is up with Capcom denying us the opening voice over RESIDENT EVIL!!! They made it part of DLC with RE2 gimme a break!

It’s weirdly more violent in a lot of areas, a woman impaled through the face and chainsaw man decapitates you fully in frame, not that getting run through the gut isn’t painful looking but legislation in Japan changed in the mid-aughts because reasonable countries respond to atrocities in society.

Capcom also knew what they were doing showing the dead dog, an east way to generate extra buzz on social media.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Medullah posted:

Pretty decent Humble Bundle of Horror Games for $18

Visage
The Mortuary Assistant
SCP:5K
The Blackout Club
Them and Us
Labyrinthine
Propnight

just a heads up on one of these, Blackout Club's entire gimmick of "enhanced horror" has stopped for good because functionally it was the dev's GURPS game and they got to the end of the story

it's still fun to screw around in and its gimmick of having to close your eyes to see the big monster man is kinda neat, but the major selling point of the game was always that the devs could invade your game and involve you in the plot. that is no longer possible, the devs have moved on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Finished off Remorse: The List. A very generic first person horror game strongly in the vein of cry of fear, decently well-made but offering little new, with a remarkably unbalanced flow of progression- a hub-spoke path layout based on three objectives where one "spoke" just has optional upgrades/weapons, one spoke has two objectives, and one spoke is three times as long and has the third. Requires 3 playthroughs to complete, the speedrun being trivial, the no heal run requiring conservative play (and a lot of saving) and the Hard mode playthrough requires a bit of caution and just running from the one enemy that can't be safely melee'd.

It does have a fun challenges mode, a little easter egg making-of museum, and a short, free puzzle-based prequel expansion. I don't hate it, but I can only wish I could recommend it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

Stop Skeletons From Fighting has a good comparison video of the original demo and the chainsaw demo and wtf is up with Capcom denying us the opening voice over RESIDENT EVIL!!! They made it part of DLC with RE2 gimme a break!

It’s weirdly more violent in a lot of areas, a woman impaled through the face and chainsaw man decapitates you fully in frame, not that getting run through the gut isn’t painful looking but legislation in Japan changed in the mid-aughts because reasonable countries respond to atrocities in society.

Capcom also knew what they were doing showing the dead dog, an east way to generate extra buzz on social media.

well yeah it's established that if it isn't in the demo people just assume it's not in the game

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Capcom was really like “sorry for trolling you about the dog” and made the remake dog a top 5 scene in the entire franchise.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Evil Dead: The Game is on sale for £16 in the Xbox Store. Is it worth that price? I enjoy Dead by Daylight for the most part, even though it's become too convoluted to ever be balanced.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can't imagine any of those asymmetrical online games (Evil Dead, Predator, Fireteam Elite) that aren't DbD have any sizable community left but I would be happy to be wrong.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Evil Dead: The Game is on sale for £16 in the Xbox Store. Is it worth that price? I enjoy Dead by Daylight for the most part, even though it's become too convoluted to ever be balanced.

It’s very good but last time I played there weren’t too many others. If you can get a group of friends together it’s a blast. Also the single player stuff sucks and a lot of the characters are gated behind it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

None of my friends play online horror games. Ah well, thanks for the heads up.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

al-azad posted:

I can't imagine any of those asymmetrical online games (Evil Dead, Predator, Fireteam Elite) that aren't DbD have any sizable community left but I would be happy to be wrong.

Fireteam Elite isn't asymmetrical lol, it's a co-op PvE horder shooter

It's also very fun, and def worth the price tag or even a slight discount if you can get it and are a fan of the Aliens movie at all. It's not perfect due to the lack of levels and the fact the dlc campaign is also only 3 (very cool) levels and some weapons for about half the cost the of the OG game... Oof.

Enjoyed my time with it.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 30, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Did they ever add facial animations and mouth movement to the people in Fireteam Elite? I had a big laugh when I saw that level of production on a new console release I bought in 2021.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I admit a lot of covid-era multiplayer horror games run together in my head. It was a busy era for playing indoors.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

All I did for covid was play board games like Arkham Horror with my wife and roommate

That's kind of like a horror game right

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Why play Arkham Horror with people when you could play World of Horror with yourself?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Meowywitch posted:

All I did for covid was play board games like Arkham Horror with my wife and roommate

That's kind of like a horror game right

Which edition and how many editions? How horrific we talking here

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Been playing some Dredge. Totally normal fishing game, no reason I'm posting here. Just go out and get some fish, totally normal fish with no deformities, growths, extra teeth, or mouths.

Also don't go out at night, avoid the red whisper mist, stay away from the large, dark shapes. Totally normal shapes, just don't go near them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

Been playing some Dredge. Totally normal fishing game, no reason I'm posting here. Just go out and get some fish, totally normal fish with no deformities, growths, extra teeth, or mouths.

Also don't go out at night, avoid the red whisper mist, stay away from the large, dark shapes. Totally normal shapes, just don't go near them.

The reviews I've read say it doesn't live up to its tagline of fishing up horrors man was not meant to see. Can you give more about the gameplay?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

You explore around, fishing and dredging materials on a ticking clock, playing an inventory minigame to fit as many fish you can in your cargo hold, which is also taken up by equipment of your choosing, returning to town before it gets dark because things get dangerous. So far, danger involves getting so panicked that I see things shifting in the water or nearly crash into things rocks that aren't really there, but I've also heard some dark roars while crossing some ocean and ooh boy did not want to stick around.

You earn research points via requests from various townsfolk or such that let you research new equipment that let you fish in new spots and do things more effectively, while trying to upgrade your boat with materials you dredge up.

You also have a big ol' fishing compendium that I quite like as it catalogues every fish you can catch, their region and time, the biggest size and if you've got the trophy size as well. Every game with fishing should have this sort of thing.

I've reached an area where I must navigate some valleys between peaks while a dark cycloptic serpent chases me and it is real stressful trying to pull up fishes as the roaring gets louder and your vision gets hazier.

Honestly, except for the aforementioned horrors in the deep it's a chill fishing game that you can take at your own pace. There's nothing stopping you from spending days at a time just pulling up cargo holds full of basic fish to grind up cash but I'm quite interested to see what else is in the world, and I like filling out the compendium, which often includes night forays to see if there are any shimmers on the water to find a special catch.

Maybe I'll get bored with it but right now, possibly 2/5ths of the way through, I like it.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Akuma Kira (Lunacid, Lost in Vivo, Spooky's House of Jumpscares) put out a new game the other day which is horror adjacent at least called Basilisk - 2000.

https://akuma-kira.itch.io/basilisk-2000

quote:

Explore an unfished RPG through it's level editor.

The spiritual successor to the unreleased Super Nintendo game Basilisk. This project seemed far more ambitious but somehow almost became lost media.

Developed around Y2K by an unknown studio, the game was thought to be lost until a fan designed a wrapper program in Unity to load the it's level editor. Now the potential can finally be seen and it's mysteries laid to rest.

Much of this game is hidden and will be hard to discover on your own, here is my official discord server where you can connect with others and share what you've found; https://discord.com/servers/kira-llc-548363665934647298

And I've had a fun few hours with it. Taking notes and exploring this dead, abandoned game, and some of the creepy and weird poo poo you find inside. It's a really interesting concept for a game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

One more plus of Dredge: it has inventory tetris. You ship can only hold so much, and equipment takes up varying levels of space in your cargo. So you could attach an extra engine, but that's two fewer spaces to put fish in. Crab pots are useful, but taking them means taking up more space (until you drop them, anyway). And you may have found a fishing spot with some rarer fish in it but they might be a weird shape and leave a bunch of space in your hold that nothing else quite fits in, meaning a trip back to port to sell it if you want to catch more. So making choices on what equipment you want is much more than just 'bigger numbers are better' - currently I'm making a choice to take the fishing line that allows me to get oceanic fish, at the cost of a trawling net that picks up and stores fish passively, for example.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm liking Dredge for its casual fishing stuff although I will say that the horror elements are somewhat light on the ground. Still, it's fun.

Is there a reason to keep the trophy or mutated fish other than if you happen to get a quest for one? Or are they just for selling?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Nope, those just sell for more. I have about 5 hours in, and already am about to grab the third tier major ship upgrade so it dosent feel like its going to be mpre than maybe 20 hours if you do literally everything.
Super fun game so far.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Heads up, there are some guys in robes on certain islands that will request three fish, one after the other. The reward is books, which is good, but these quests are timed. They're pretty generous, but if you take too long you'll come back and they'll be dead, ending the quest.

I have no idea if this affects anything else aside from you getting the reward or not

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Oh poo poo, I didnt realize those were timed. I found the crab altar and the crab pot you get from it is pretty ridiculous, which is weirdly OP compared to the fish altar rod reward.
Dang the Devil's Spine is pretty terrifying, yeeeeesh.
So I'm only about 7 hours in, and I have completed the entire ship upgrade tiers so the game isnt super long. The grindiest bit is probably the upgrades you need the small mechanisms to unlock.

DreadUnknown fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 1, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What's Resident Evil 4 like on Xbox? Digital Foundry says it's got pretty bad input lag.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

Capcom was really like “sorry for trolling you about the dog” and made the remake dog a top 5 scene in the entire franchise.

It got a monster hunter rear end intro

Not really sure "the fanbase snaps to conclusions" is trolling though, getting rid of the dog would be like getting rid of the dog hallway in RE1

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's Resident Evil 4 like on Xbox? Digital Foundry says it's got pretty bad input lag.

Give the demo a shot and see what you think?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Len posted:

Not really sure "the fanbase snaps to conclusions" is trolling though, getting rid of the dog would be like getting rid of the dog hallway in RE1

The first thing you find in the demo is the dog, dead (a deer in the final game). If that's not trolling I don't know what is.

I can't believe anyone actually thought it was actually going to be like that in the full game though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It made for a good news cycle moving the dog out of chapter 1 and therefor the demo in a similar way to Lady Demetresque being a nothing character because the RE cycle is area boss that turns into a tumor monster.

E: oh wow lol I remember the deer but I didn’t realize it was removed from the final game.

But I agree no one at Capcom would actually agree to removing the best boy although I learned it may not be best to save him because it automatically sets the giants health total to a flat number so it may actually heal the giant.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 1, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think Demetresque was ever intended to be seen as more than she was in the game. I think Capcom got totally blindsided by her becoming this huge meme.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

veni veni veni posted:

I don't think Demetresque was ever intended to be seen as more than she was in the game. I think Capcom got totally blindsided by her becoming this huge meme.

which is incredible, when you think about it

how do you design that character and think "this is a totally normal RE villain, the internet will not go crazy for this"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I never would've thought that a text adventure game could have a genuine "hardcore difficulty mode", but somehow Scarlet Hollow has pulled it off (and it's real, not just an April Fools joke).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lunatic Sledge posted:

which is incredible, when you think about it

how do you design that character and think "this is a totally normal RE villain, the internet will not go crazy for this"

"Oh, yeah this character is just a tall dominating presence of an attractive woman with a large bust, definitely people will see her and be spooked, nothing more, yup anyway let's just give them a tease with her as just one of the villains you face in the game and, well, huh."

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not sure how much Capcom was blindsided and how much of it was people claiming Capcom was blindsided, because they had convinced themselves that Capcom would never make a monster intentionally sexy or sexualized, despite all previous evidence to the contrary. Also people piling up to praise RE8 for finally having a conventionally attractive slightly older woman as a villain, ignoring the other times that happened and that this happened after they backed away from having women over 30 as protagonists. Also putting her in the early part of the game so people get her whole story quicker, rather than trying to drag it out to the whole game was clearly the right decision, especially since most people don't finish games, so player could get into the character and keep talking about it even if they never finished the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Capcom does horny all the time, it’s just that with RE8 they had a character that appealed to everyone instead of SF’s grotesque homunculi of plasticine thighs and feet.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hel posted:

I'm not sure how much Capcom was blindsided and how much of it was people claiming Capcom was blindsided, because they had convinced themselves that Capcom would never make a monster intentionally sexy or sexualized, despite all previous evidence to the contrary. Also people piling up to praise RE8 for finally having a conventionally attractive slightly older woman as a villain, ignoring the other times that happened and that this happened after they backed away from having women over 30 as protagonists. Also putting her in the early part of the game so people get her whole story quicker, rather than trying to drag it out to the whole game was clearly the right decision, especially since most people don't finish games, so player could get into the character and keep talking about it even if they never finished the game.

???

Claire is literally the protagonist of Resident Evil Revelations 2 and she's 32 years old in that game. Ada is one of the protagonists of Resident Evil 6 and she's 38 in that game. Even Mia in Resident Evil 7 is around 33 years old and she's the protagonist for about a fifth or even a quarter of that game. Where did you get the idea that Capcom are avoiding having older protagonists? Resident Evil is one of the few series where the iconic characters are all getting pretty old.

But yeah, Resident Evil has had a few older women as villains before.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mr. Fortitude posted:

???

Claire is literally the protagonist of Resident Evil Revelations 2 and she's 32 years old in that game. Ada is one of the protagonists of Resident Evil 6 and she's 38 in that game. Even Mia in Resident Evil 7 is around 33 years old and she's the protagonist for about a fifth or even a quarter of that game. Where did you get the idea that Capcom are avoiding having older protagonists? Resident Evil is one of the few series where the iconic characters are all getting pretty old.

I mean, to be fair, Mia wasn't exactly a "protagonist" in her section. :) She was kinda working for the bad guys

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Medullah posted:

I mean, to be fair, Mia wasn't exactly a "protagonist" in her section. :) She was kinda working for the bad guys

walter white was a villainous shitheel, but no one would deny that he was the protagonist of breaking bad

a "protagonist" is simply the character who the audience follows and who serves as the driving force behind the story through their decisions; the fact that it's a term generally associated with good people is due to readers largely preferring to follow along and identify with non-assholes

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 2, 2023

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

???

Yes, RE is one of the few series that actually did have women over 30 as playable characters but the last couple of games have either been remakes set when they where younger or just the ones with Ethan as the PC. So people praising them for finally having an older woman as a villain after they took a break from doing "older" women as primary playable characters is odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

On Series X? It's not input lag that's the issue, it's the deadzone on the analog sticks, meaning you have to move the analog stick quite a bit before your reticle starts to move. I dunno, I adapted though and it didn't really hurt my enjoyment of the game.