Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Ben Ten: Power Trip is sits upon a throne of lies. You only get six aliens in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
This may be a better question for the TV hardware thread, but is the LG C_ OLED still the go-to recommendation for XSX gaming with all the HDMI 2.1 features?

I have a Sony LED TV from 2021 that's mostly fine but seems to get a little worse with each firmware update, and VRR (the feature I wanted it most for) has never fully worked without issue so I'm debating just donating it to my dad and going OLED finally

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The LG C1 is some real good poo poo

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I have LG OLED C2 and like the TV, but it has an annoying bug with the Series X.

If I don’t turn on the Xbox first, wait a while, and THEN turn on the TV, often the Xbox will start up in a low resolution mode (640x480) and will turn off all of the graphical features like HDR, high frame rates, etc.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The CX is the first model that will support 4K120 with HDR out of the Series X

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you sure that’s because of the TV? Mine does it but I figured it was just because the Xbox is, you know, made by Microsoft.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LGoatse CX

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Escobarbarian posted:

Are you sure that’s because of the TV? Mine does it but I figured it was just because the Xbox is, you know, made by Microsoft.

Not totally sure.

Does anybody else in this thread have a nice non-LG 4k TV with all of the graphical features like HDR, high frame rate, etc. and experience the below bug?

silence_kit posted:

I have LG OLED C2 and like the TV, but it has an annoying bug with the Series X.

If I don’t turn on the Xbox first, wait a while, and THEN turn on the TV, often the Xbox will start up in a low resolution mode (640x480) and will turn off all of the graphical features like HDR, high frame rates, etc.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Beastie posted:

Terrible Scyfy Channel like cutscenes, the combat is meh, the visuals are stunning, but it has plenty of "walk and talk sections"

The combat is very good but there's not enough of it.

I like QB a lot but I generally hold off on recommending it. If you're the type of person who watches SyFy imports or Fringe it's kinda targetting you.

I also love schlocky time travel stuff.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Quantum Break tripped on its shoelaces so CONTROL could soar.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

silence_kit posted:

My LG CX used to do this back when I got it 2 years ago, but it's been at least a year since I've seen it. It always happened when I switched from Nintendo Switch to the SX without turning the TV off and on first.

Works fine these days.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

silence_kit posted:

yeah this is a known thing with LG televisions and Xbox last time I looked. I had this experience a while back with my C1 but it hasn't happened in some time and it has never happened on any other television.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bizarre! Good to know it’s nothing wrong with my console though.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
In the 3 or so years of owning an LG CX I haven't encountered that bug (I only have a Series X hooked up though).

MJBuddy posted:

The combat is very good but there's not enough of it.

I like QB a lot but I generally hold off on recommending it. If you're the type of person who watches SyFy imports or Fringe it's kinda targetting you.

I also love schlocky time travel stuff.

I didn't mind it either. If anything it's a pretty short game so worth a quick run through if you're a fan of Remedy's other stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes if you are a Remedy fan you will like it. But it definitely ends up feeling like an early test run for Control which is a far better game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m a remedy fan and I thought it stank. Worst than Alan wake.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes if you are a Remedy fan you will like it. But it definitely ends up feeling like an early test run for Control which is a far better game.

Honestly after Control I don't think I could go back.

Like, I don't think I'll ever play a DS game because Elden Ring was a much better experience for me (a scrub)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I bought a c8 the year before 2.1 hdmi was invented for too much money and now i am the joker

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Real hurthling! posted:

I bought a c8 the year before 2.1 hdmi was invented for too much money and now i am the joker

Brutal. I wonder if it would be technically possible to make these sets with at least one HDMI port as replaceable for upgrades like that, or if it wouldn’t matter because the panel itself would have to be upgraded..? If the new standard is just more bandwidth I feel like that’d be doable. It would take an act of congress to enforce such a thing though.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
So has MS just given up on this system? Supply issues for PS5 seem over but you can’t buy a series X anywhere and there’s no games.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Oh my god, you're right!

https://www.cnet.com/tech/gaming/xbox-one-x-has-been-discontinued/

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Lance Riddick in Quantum Break was the best thing in one of the craziest ventures in human history. I am convinced Remedy get's super stoned before they pitch game ideas.
Dude, what if a game had 20 minute long live action cutscenes?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Why is qb going? Licensed music?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah i got the low res bug on my LG CX as well until I enabled HDMI-CEC in my xbox options so I don't have to worry about turning the TV on separately now

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

nom epique posted:

there’s no games.

Cool April Fool's joke.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I finished Chorus. The story is a bit 'out there' but the open world space combat is fun.

If not for that "powerful women" punchcard last month I'd have never heard of it either. Game Pass stays winning

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chorus is pretty fun but it was a weird as heck choice to lock "make combat significantly better" behind an hour+ of gameplay

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Barudak posted:

Chorus is pretty fun but it was a weird as heck choice to lock "make combat significantly better" behind an hour+ of gameplay

Can you explain how they did this because I just tried it last week and uninstalled in under an hour lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

super fart shooter posted:

Can you explain how they did this because I just tried it last week and uninstalled in under an hour lol

You unlock a new ship that you use for the rest of the game that not only has more weapons but has the ability to drift so you can maintain momentum in a direction while firing in another. Later you'll unlock abilities for it like "teleport directly behind an enemy" and "shoot lighting to blow up multiple foes at once"

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Barudak posted:

:agreed:

Yeah, I went into the game pretty blind so I was quite surprised when suddenly I get this new ship who is actually a main character no less :laugh:

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 2, 2023

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

nom epique posted:

So has MS just given up on this system? Supply issues for PS5 seem over but you can’t buy a series X anywhere and there’s no games.

They’re pretty easy to find via the All Access program because consoles marked for sale that way come preloaded with GamePass for two years and so can’t be sold any other way. They’re hard to find here generally but my local Target had 9 in the back for All Access.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Never played Quantum Break but after reading here how bad but also good it is, I'm downloading it right now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QB has a wonderful surprise in store for all the people who slogged through it for narrative because the final boss is notoriously badly designed and isnt on more worst boss ever lists only because nobody played it much less got that far.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

John F Bennett posted:

Never played Quantum Break but after reading here how bad but also good it is, I'm downloading it right now.

It is my favourite Remedy game and I love Time-travel shenanigans.
And the SyFy tv-series.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Barudak posted:

QB has a wonderful surprise in store for all the people who slogged through it for narrative because the final boss is notoriously badly designed and isnt on more worst boss ever lists only because nobody played it much less got that far.

I 1000/1000:d the game and the last boss was bit of a slog, but not that bad.
Nowhere near any bottom 10 lists.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Issaries posted:

I 1000/1000:d the game and the last boss was bit of a slog, but not that bad.
Nowhere near any bottom 10 lists.

The only achievement I'm missing from quantum break is because I couldn't be bothered beating that last boss on hard. Every other achievement no problem, but man gently caress that guy on hard it's so tedious

quote:

Time Lord
Completed the game on Hard Difficulty.

Only 2.57% of gamers unlocked this

It seems I am not alone. (Normal difficulty achievement is 15%)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

That sounds about right.
I'm pretty average player in games, but Hard-difficulty on this was about right for me.
I did have to do dozen or so retakes on last boss to get his pattern down.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Issaries posted:

It is my favourite Remedy game and I love Time-travel shenanigans.
And the SyFy tv-series.

I too love time travel stories, even the cheesy ones.

Just got to Act 2 and so far I'm really digging the game. Can't believe I missed this one for all these years, the mix of narrative and action gameplay is right up my alley.

It even has FMV stuff in it, this is ticking a lot of my boxes so far.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Finally.

https://www.twitter.com/verge/status/1642513705265971200

$179.99 for 1 TB. Still too much but it’s a start.

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I bought a m.2 drive yesterday. gen4 2tb from samsung for 149usd

Not making a point or anything its not free to set up a factory to make a special shaped niche peripheral so theres gonna be a tax over standardized parts