Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

site posted:

has Batman ever put joker in a hidden black site on the dark side of the moon or some poo poo

Wasn't Joker in... that Countdown tie-in with the prison planet that would get referenced even after they decided to try to just ignore the rest of Countdown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

honestly this is why at this point i think superhero comics continuity in general is a lost cause and all superhero comics should be self contained elseworlds type stuff. pretty much the only superhero comics i read nowadays fall under that, some of the DC Black Label stuff has been pretty good.

Not always, but Batman for sure. You can't have the Batman from The Batman or the Nolan movies doing his thing and solving heists and bomb plots in Gotham, then a few months later he's on the moon helping fight Brainiac or Darkseid, and then next he's got to solve Riddler's next big scheme. Batman more than anyone needs at least two continuities to work

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Opopanax posted:

Not always, but Batman for sure. You can't have the Batman from The Batman or the Nolan movies doing his thing and solving heists and bomb plots in Gotham, then a few months later he's on the moon helping fight Brainiac or Darkseid, and then next he's got to solve Riddler's next big scheme. Batman more than anyone needs at least two continuities to work

I strongly disagree. The fact that Batman can do all that is part of what's appealing about the character to me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Josh Friedman (Avatar 2 and the Snowpiercer TV series) is writing the Fantastic 4 movie. He is taking over for the previous writers Jeff Kaplan and Ian Springer; allegedly due to a "change in tone" to be less comedic and more dramatic Sci-fi.

Matt Shakman (Game of Thrones and Wandavision) is directing.

Rachel Brosnahan and Jodie Comer are both rumored to be in consideration for Sue Storm.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1641887708535574536

Why don't they ever ask comic book writers to write these movies?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shageletic posted:

I imagine they have. Like I’m sure a bunch of comic writers have said “I’m gonna write a movie script”. But I also image the average comic book writer can’t write a movie as easily so they end up getting rejected or rewritten by someone who knows how to speak the language of film. But they’re different things and being good at one doesn’t mean you’d just naturally be good at the other.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If they let one of their comic writers write a movie they might actually have to start paying them above poverty wages to keep writing a comic

They might even have to offer...*gasp* healthcare!!!

site fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 1, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Before things went horribly wrong for them there was that report that G-Mo worked on a script with Ezra Miller for The Flash movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Letting comic writers write movies is how you get more Millar product out, is that what you really want?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Isn't the only comic book writer who got promoted to the movies Geoff Johns

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
How did you guys forget Frank Miller?

No seriously how? I need to

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i actually did forget about sin city lol

i haven't seen that in like at least a decade i wonder if it holds up

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sin City holds up but that’s thanks to Rodriguez doing a great job handling the direct adaption and scene chewing performances.

But then Miller made The Spirit.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Batman doesn't need to kill the Joker. He could just, like, paralyze him or something. Maybe enlist Bane for help with that.

I feel like Joker would be a significantly lessened threat if he couldn't pick up a crowbar, you know?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i mean it's a comic book, they have to have stories, but how does the first guard he sees in arkham not just put a bullet into joker the moment he gets recaptured

what are we doing here

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I love how, in the real world, Jeffrey Epstein can miraculously snap his own hyoid bone the moment the cameras go out in his cell, and absolutely nothing substantive will be done about it, but in Gotham world, the most dangerous and reviled psychotic ultra terrorist with a five digit body count never gets accidentally dropped down a flight of stairs five times.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I saw a thing recently that a Thing/Hulk book added a gimmick called the 'causality virus' that essentially makes 616 always return to the status quo no matter what.

So I guess what I'm saying is Dr Manhattan did it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

site posted:

If they let one of their comic writers write a movie they might actually have to start paying them above poverty wages to keep writing a comic

They might even have to offer...*gasp* healthcare!!!

isn't screenwriting a contract gig

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I'm surprised that "Joker killed my husband/wife/brother/sister/son/daughter therefor I'm going to hunt him down and kill him" stories aren't a regular thing in the DCU. Carrying a gun and being willing to shoot someone on sight if they even look like the Joker would seem a perfectly reasonable and potentially life saving move if you lived in Gotham.

E: this isn't a problem if the Joker is a potential threat to kill rather than an unstoppable killer. The Joker is a Jaws movie where rather than being hidden 90% of the time the shark is floating down the street snacking on an endless buffet of frightened and paralyzed victims.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 2, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

OnimaruXLR posted:

isn't screenwriting a contract gig

Union, writers guild of America

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
chris yost is a credited writer on thor the dark world and Ragnarok

are we doing a bit here

the real actual answer btw is that screenwritring and comic writing are two completely different skill sets

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And also they’re adaptations and should be able to be done with different takes and ideas. Otherwise it’s kinda dull if you don’t make some kind of change.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

I love how, in the real world, Jeffrey Epstein can miraculously snap his own hyoid bone the moment the cameras go out in his cell, and absolutely nothing substantive will be done about it, but in Gotham world, the most dangerous and reviled psychotic ultra terrorist with a five digit body count never gets accidentally dropped down a flight of stairs five times.

It is remarkable how easily it is to kill a famous criminal in jail

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

chris yost is a credited writer on thor the dark world and Ragnarok

are we doing a bit here

the real actual answer btw is that screenwritring and comic writing are two completely different skill sets

My main impetus is that the inevitable drive of this F4 is Jonathan Hickman's run and iirc he tweeted once about wanting to write a F4 Movie. His poo poo already feels like the movies! Esp.if you read the scripts

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Shageletic posted:

because then it's a slippery slope to Dan Slott's Avengers: Avengerverse up there on the screen

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's some rough Blue Beetle footage floating around and possibly a full trailer out tomorrow

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And the new Spider-Verse trailer drops Tuesday.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darth Brooks posted:

I'm surprised that "Joker killed my husband/wife/brother/sister/son/daughter therefor I'm going to hunt him down and kill him" stories aren't a regular thing in the DCU. Carrying a gun and being willing to shoot someone on sight if they even look like the Joker would seem a perfectly reasonable and potentially life saving move if you lived in Gotham.

But if you miss then you're hosed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you see joker you're probably hosed anyway

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It was the point of the Character Clownhunter who killed/injured/best up Jokers henchmen building up to the Joker but of course Batman stopped him saying this isn't the way things are done.

More than one person you would think all the citizens of Gotham would just form a vigilante group to kill the Joker considering the fact that everyone who lives there has probably lost several family members to the Joker's attacks.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Joker, Riddler, and Ventriloquist have all killed tens of thousands of people at this point. Penguin had at one point (in fact did the first bat villain mass murder), but that seems to have been retconned.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

if you see joker you're probably hosed anyway

I miss the Joker who would be just as likely to like tie your shoelaces together as kill you. That's a better Joker. Or the one who messed with a kid's report card just because it was funny.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The thing about this problem is that having people try to "solve" the problem in-story is just making the problem worse, because what they should actually be doing is exercising more editorial discipline out-of-story and writing these characters differently.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Guardians tickets are on sale now

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/julioanta/status/1642903412571357186?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
glad they're making the dcu center around this guy instead of Dwayne the rock Johnson

i thought blue beetle was some time travel guy or something tho

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

glad they're making the dcu center around this guy instead of Dwayne the rock Johnson

i thought blue beetle was some time travel guy or something tho

That’s booster gold, who may or may not be in this movie?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Not super sold from that trailer. Also wasn't loving the suit design until the last couple of shots made it look more tokusatsu-inspired than generic CGI-mess.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I remember the Blue Beetle comics from like a decade ago being a lot of fun and this seems to be taking a lot of cues from them (although iirc in the comics he lived in the southwest, not Not-Miami). Might be a decent weekend HBO Max watch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I remember the Blue Beetle comics from like a decade ago being a lot of fun and this seems to be taking a lot of cues from them (although iirc in the comics he lived in the southwest, not Not-Miami). Might be a decent weekend HBO Max watch.

He lives in El Paso, TX in the comics. It didn't really make much difference, and maybe Florida offered better incentives than Texas for filming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

That looks awesome.