Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HARDEST kong to ESCAPE from
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 8 4.88%
Diddy Kong 3 1.83%
Dixie Kong 8 4.88%
Funky Kong 49 29.88%
Chunky Kong 8 4.88%
Bluster Kong 5 3.05%
Lanky Kong (demanded by Cheetah) 53 32.32%
Max Castillo 6 3.66%
Billy Mitchell 18 10.98%
Steve Wiebe 6 3.66%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

James Cameron is not a good filmmaker, his movies are boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I watched Avatar for the first time this for some reason. And I liked it!

It's just so earnest and it really feels like some weirdo's true vision. That dude really wanted to show us his magical world of tall, skinny blue people. felt like a 90s "blockbuster" I guess.
I watched in three chunks though, so I guess it is a bit meandering. idk it was fun i guess.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

fridge corn posted:

I'm playing I am Setsuna. while I await news of the FF pixel remaster console release or the Live A Live playstaion release, whichever may come first

Wouldn't necessarily recommend it tho

live a live is coming to playstation april 26

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gaius Marius posted:

I guess he's not really my bag. I still like the original Terminator tho.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I saw Avatar 2 in 3D with the high frame rate and it was the worst cinema experience I've had in a long time. I felt motion sick for the majority of the film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haha what posted:

live a live is coming to playstation april 26

Real excited for this and the pixel remasters. SE really has my number lately.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Larryb posted:

New Mario movie trailer (and yes, it’s real):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mK27Zq91kf0

Why does this version of Peach need Mario’s help again (Mad Max: Rainbow Road looks cool though)?

cannon fodder

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

got my snackbox :dance:

space cat shall watch over my inputs until i can decide on some bigger art to stick in

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

terminator, t2, and aliens all own actually

rox
Sep 7, 2016

still have a soft spot for true lies and also he co-wrote strange days which absolutely rips

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

haha what posted:

terminator, t2, and aliens all own actually

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Strange Days owns so hard even if I still find it weird to hear Ralph Fiennes doing an American accent. And Angela Bassett really did the thing long before award shows were singing about it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Real excited for this and the pixel remasters. SE really has my number lately.

Play octopath 2!!!!!! Gjghfjrksosndnfndksksndn

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Play octopath 2!!!!!! Gjghfjrksosndnfndksksndn

I will by the end of the year. lol I will prolly buy Live A Live immediately but not even get around to it until after summer. :negative:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I will by the end of the year. lol I will prolly buy Live A Live immediately but not even get around to it until after summer. :negative:

Your terms are acceptable :hai:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Infinitum posted:

Avatar 2 is a movie you need to see in 3D and at the cinema.
Just insane from a technical perspective.

How bland the plot is really shines at home on the small screen.

This was true of the original as well. The wife and I saw it several times in the theater but I could never watch it at home.

I'm not really interested in seeing the sequel.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Kerrzhe posted:

space cat shall watch over my inputs until i can decide on some bigger art to stick in

these look so nice, I want to get one sometime

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Kerrzhe posted:

yo thats friggen sick

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3Kyv_iaNs

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
True Lies has a fantastic first and third act but the way the second tries to act like gaslighting is hilarious is extremely :chloe: to me. Jamie Lee Curtis is seriously great in that movie, that’s the one she should have won the Oscar for tbh.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Infinitum posted:

Post April Fools videos, rather than Horny Dads, ITT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAemzjFt5ps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0M8NfPufaU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my game playing slowed down the past week for very obvious personal reasons, but i did play through terra nil, i've been playing Picross S Sega on the switch when i go to bed, and today i picked up the Marsupilami game for the first time and it's fun. i will also try the smurfs game if i can survive the theme song i have never liked even since youth

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Escobarbarian posted:

True Lies has a fantastic first and third act but the way the second tries to act like gaslighting is hilarious is extremely :chloe: to me. Jamie Lee Curtis is seriously great in that movie, that’s the one she should have won the Oscar for tbh.

Yeah this is why I never got on with it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

First 4min of Super Mario Bros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1Pr1HUevRA

Escobarbarian posted:

the second tries to act like gaslighting is hilarious is extremely :chloe: to me.

When it comes to stuff like this for me it always comes back to "Would they film it the exact same way now, as they did back then?", and I don't think Cameron would.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The 90's was the worst decade in many ways. I still really enjoy the music though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Terminator 2 is the best action movie and the only ones close to it were also made by Cameron

I rewatched Strange Days not too long ago and this time my main takeaway was how goddamn LOUD it is. Almost every scene is in a club or a block party or some other place with overdriven live music

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
James Cameron did not direct Strange Days, Kathryn Bigelow did. what is happening. The best thing about Strange Days is the amazing pov shots.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There was something I couldn't quite put my finger on about Space Hulk Deathwing Enhanced Edition, but it just occurred to me. It's Aliens Fireteam Elite. Like, exactly. You and two AI buddies go into claustrophobic industrial maze like environments where you fight the Xenomorphs from Aliens and also some random guys with guns, and occasionally there's a big alien monster. You unlock weapons and there are light RPG elements. Even on the easiest difficulty the enemies tend to the bullet sponge. One guy always has a minigun. The gameplay is identical and the aesthetics are very similar.

But, unfortunately, Aliens Fireteam Elite does everything better. The gameplay, story, and RPG elements are all done better. Even "feeling like" the IP is done way better. Not to nitpick, but in the tutorial in Space Hulk Deathwing Enhanced Edition a Space Marine says to another Space Marine "go to the next room". Space Marines don't talk like that! He should say something like "proceed to the next chamber". And loving Genestealer cultists take multiple rounds from a Storm Bolter to die! I know that Space Marines in the lore are always more powerful than they are in the game or video games, but even in the game GSC Neophytes are 1 wound! 1 round from a Storm Bolter should kill one, especially since I'm playing on loving easy mode!

I dunno, this has really killed my drive to continue in Space Hulk Deathwing Enhanced Edition.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He helped with the screenplay. They were together at the time or after then or something. Crediting him for it is weird, it's like crediting Truffaut for Breathless.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gripweed posted:

There was something I couldn't quite put my finger on about Space Hulk Deathwing Enhanced Edition, but it just occurred to me. It's Aliens Fireteam Elite. Like, exactly. You and two AI buddies go into claustrophobic industrial maze like environments where you fight the Xenomorphs from Aliens and also some random guys with guns, and occasionally there's a big alien monster. You unlock weapons and there are light RPG elements. Even on the easiest difficulty the enemies tend to the bullet sponge. One guy always has a minigun. The gameplay is identical and the aesthetics are very similar.

But, unfortunately, Aliens Fireteam Elite does everything better. The gameplay, story, and RPG elements are all done better. Even "feeling like" the IP is done way better. Not to nitpick, but in the tutorial in Space Hulk Deathwing Enhanced Edition a Space Marine says to another Space Marine "go to the next room". Space Marines don't talk like that! He should say something like "proceed to the next chamber". And loving Genestealer cultists take multiple rounds from a Storm Bolter to die! I know that Space Marines in the lore are always more powerful than they are in the game or video games, but even in the game GSC Neophytes are 1 wound! 1 round from a Storm Bolter should kill one, especially since I'm playing on loving easy mode!

I dunno, this has really killed my drive to continue in Space Hulk Deathwing Enhanced Edition.

play Deep Rock Galactic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

bone emulator posted:

I watched Avatar for the first time this for some reason. And I liked it!

It's just so earnest and it really feels like some weirdo's true vision. That dude really wanted to show us his magical world of tall, skinny blue people. felt like a 90s "blockbuster" I guess.
I watched in three chunks though, so I guess it is a bit meandering. idk it was fun i guess.

Yeah I watched it for the first time a few weeks ago and now I straight up do not understand the "Avatar was bad, actually" discourse. Like, I know something can't objectively be a good movie but Avatar is objectively a good movie. Even if you don't like it a reasonable person has to admit that it's not "bad".

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hwurmp posted:

play Deep Rock Galactic

I probably should, I literally did just start building a Leagues of Votann army

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Avatar is objectively a good movie.

nvm don't play Deep Rock Galactic, stay away from me

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hwurmp posted:

nvm don't play Deep Rock Galactic, stay away from me

I'm not the kind of dwarf fan who feels the need to affect an exaggerated hatred of elves.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gripweed posted:

mandalore's review on it makes it sound like it was a game made by space hulk enthusiasts who didn't quite realize that the pacing and structure of a board game is a little different than the pacing and structure of a cooperative FPS, so it's like the weird hybrid D&D systems you got out of the gold box titles and later successors like neverwinter nights where there's an attempt at a wholly faithful reproduction that never truly melds with the video game presentation

i honestly really want them to make another E.Y.E if the studio's still around, you just don't get batshit wild releases like that much anymore

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vermain posted:

mandalore's review on it makes it sound like it was a game made by space hulk enthusiasts who didn't quite realize that the pacing and structure of a board game is a little different than the pacing and structure of a cooperative FPS, so it's like the weird hybrid D&D systems you got out of the gold box titles and later successors like neverwinter nights where there's an attempt at a wholly faithful reproduction that never truly melds with the video game presentation

i honestly really want them to make another E.Y.E if the studio's still around, you just don't get batshit wild releases like that much anymore

Oh man, after playing Space Hulk which was literally just the Space Hulk board game, down to all outcomes being decided by a virtual D6 roll, as a video game, Space Hulk Deathwing Enhanced Edition displays an absolute mastery of the medium of video games in comparison. I actually feel like my actions determine the outcome!

What sucks is that I was enjoying the game reasonably well, but realizing that it's an inferior version of a game I played a few months ago killed my interest in continuing. I don't have enough gaming time to spend it on a game that's functionally a worse version of a game I've already played.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

CottonWolf posted:

That actually looks like fun. I don’t know if I am capable of understanding a world with a good D&D film and a good Mario film.

We are finally at the age where people who grew up enjoying the two are old enough to make movies and not their boomer ancestors that only saw them as condescending slop for the kids like 10 or 20 years ago

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The advances in CGI and other effects helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Aliens, Terminator, and Terminator 2 are my favorite of his films. Avatar is an alright movie, shallow plot, but its watchable and fun. The sequel though just gets way ahead of itself and forgets what it is trying to say and do. You could cut like 90 minutes from it and it would still be the same movie but better.