Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HARDEST kong to ESCAPE from
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 8 4.88%
Diddy Kong 3 1.83%
Dixie Kong 8 4.88%
Funky Kong 49 29.88%
Chunky Kong 8 4.88%
Bluster Kong 5 3.05%
Lanky Kong (demanded by Cheetah) 53 32.32%
Max Castillo 6 3.66%
Billy Mitchell 18 10.98%
Steve Wiebe 6 3.66%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rox
Sep 7, 2016

[SURPRISE TRANSMISSION!] we MUST Ape ESCapril(tm) the ides of Meltdown Marth

thank you to steam thread Community Pillar The 7th Guest for the following write-up:

The 7th Guest posted:

hey everyone. i'm currently dealing with the loss of one of our cats who died suddenly and unexpectedly, so my Games of April post is gonna be kept simple. you can look the games up yourself to see the screenshots. I do thank the people in discords that have offered kind words and condolences.

Road 96: Mile 0 - April 4 - A prequel to the border-hopping CYOA hit from 2021, you play as two of the NPCs from the original game and learn their stories.
Meet Your Maker - April 4 - This one's already gotten a lot of hype from goons who have played the demo or playtested it. You build a deathtrap-filled base and challenge players to conquer them.
Passpartout 2 - April 4 - Passpartout is not for everyone but if you like games about making silly/ugly paintings and then selling them to people who have very spurious criteria for what is good or bad art, this widens the scope of the original.
The Magical Mixture Mill - April 5 (EA) - A combination of harvesting and automation, there's been mixed thoughts from people about the demo.
Supplice - April 6 (EA) - The first episode of a retro FPS from prolific mappers/modders in the Doom scene.
Melon Journey: Bittersweet Memories - April 6 - A cute looking adventure/narrative game with a Gameboy aesthetic.
Curse of the Sea Rats - April 6 - Rat-based Metroidvania
The Library of Babel - April 6 - A mix of stealth platforming and inventory-puzzling. Not related to Library of Ruina.
Lone Fungus - April 7 - Mushroom-based Metroidvania which is coming out of Early Access.
Sherlock Holmes: the Awakening Remake - April 11 - The original Sherlock Holmes: the Awakening was a goofy but earnest detective game merging with Lovecraft. It only makes sense for Frogwares, who has since developed The Sinking City, to come back to this premise with a remake of The Awakening, likely much more expanded upon and with the design elements of Chapter One.
Ghostware: Arena of the Dead - April 12 (EA) - Retro FPS/adventure game about being stuck in an arena shooter by a wizard. Like almost all retro FPSes, it's the first episode.
MEATGRINDER - April 13 - loving kickass uptempo FPS where you, Crank-style, have to keep moving to keep your health up, leaping and grappling from vehicle to vehicle as everything explodes all around you. It's cool, the demo was cool. This is gonna be a good game.
Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection - April 13 - The 6 Mega Man Battle Network games finally come to PC officially. If you've never played a MMBN game, they're isometric JRPGs with a Saturday Morning Cartoon aesthetic/setting, goofy NPC dialogue, and quasi-real time battles where you equip cards/chips for your moves. They're cool! And decently lengthy. Unlike the other Mega Man collections, this one's, like, a triple digit number of hour's worth of content.
God of Rock - April 18 - Rhythm/music based fighting game. General word of mouth on this has not been very good, however.
Minecraft Legends - April 18 (Gamepass) - Minecraft action/strategy game. I haven't followed this too much so I'm not 100% sure what the best comparison is, but it'll be on Gamepass anyway so you can try it yourself.
Moons of Darsalon - April 19 - A pretty neat retro platformer about saving/rescuing civilians that has a fun pre-rendered look that throws back to the Rare games of the SNES.
Stray Blade - April 20 - I have forgotten almost everything about this other than that it has a comedic sidekick character and it's a hack & slash.
Advance Wars 1 & 2 Reboot Camp - April 21 (NON-STEAM) - Delayed by a year due to the war in Ukraine, Nintendo/Wayforward's remake of the first two Advance Wars games finally comes out on Switch. The look of the remake is divisive but as long as it plays like the original, it's two very good strategy games that are highly addictive to play.
Roots of Pacha - April 25 - A Stardew Valley-style life sim set at an earlier point in human history/civilization.
Afterimage - April 25 - Metroidvania by the developer of Guijan 3, which has nice backgrounds and illustrated characters, and hopefully will not have online DRM like Guijan 3 had.
Trinity Trigger - April 25 - Where are my FuRyu-heads at???? I didn't even know this game existed until last week. It looks like FuRyu's latest 7 out of 10 game is going for a Secret of Mana type feel with 3 character hack and slashing. Personally I'd like them to revisit The Alliance Alive, but maybe one of these games will keep the lights on long enough for them to get to that point.
Bramble: the Mountain King - April 27 - Narrative platformer that seems like it might hit similar notes to that of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, with the sort of grim fairy tale setting.
The Last Case of Benedict Fox - April 27 (Gamepass) - A slick-looking (but slightly janky in execution) gothic Metroidvania where you investigate a mansion as well as an alternate dimension (or maybe it's your mind? The demo was a while ago, I forget).
Jedi Survivor - April 27 (EA Play) - Oh, right, a new Jedi game. Hey EA, you uh, you gonna advertise this one orrrrrr.... I mean I haven't seen a single word about this from anyone and I've only realized it's coming up because it shows up in the Upcoming section on Steam. They had to put Fallen Order on sale for $4 in the Spring Sale because interest in the Jedi series had fallen that low. I don't know if EA is sabotaging the game because of their losing the SW license, but it's just weird. This is easily the largest game in April and... no hype whatsoever. And it's being sent to die a couple of weeks before Nintendo puts out their biggest game in 6 years.
Protodroid Delta - April 27 (Gamepass) - A Humble Games published title from a solo dev that is going for a 'Mega Man X in 3D' feel. Assuming Humble's deal with Microsoft still extends into 2023, this should pop up on Gamepass.
Mail Time - April 27 - One of those Wholesome Games (tm) where you deliver mail to different people and do a lot of jumping around and collecting things.
Tron: Identity - April TBA - A 3D visual novel in the Tron universe by Bithell Games, creators of Subsurface Circular and Volume
Cook Serve Forever - April TBA - I believe CSF is coming out at some point in April but I don't know if something has changed, as the release date on Steam is just "Q2 2023" currently.

upcoming release zome (please lemme know if anythin needs added!)

quote:

GrimGrimoire OnceMore - April 4 (NSW, PS4, PS5) - The classic strategy-RPG is back with a whole new look!
GrimGrimoire OnceMore is a remaster of the original GrimGrimoire, featuring the fantastical worldbuilding and intricate storytelling Vanillaware is known for, as well as real-time tactical gameplay with new, improved mechanics.

Cassette Beasts - April 26 (PC - Steam, GamePass; NSW, XBOX 'late spring 2023') - Collect awesome monsters to use during turn-based battles in this open-world RPG. Combine any two monster forms using Cassette Beasts’ Fusion System to create unique and powerful new ones!

LIVE A LIVE - April 26 (PS4, PS5) - Meet seven heroes, each with their own unique abilities and lives to live across different time periods. Experience their stories in any order you choose, uncovering shocking developments along the way. Featuring remastered music from original composer Yoko Shimomura and produced by Takashi Tokita, this remake retains everything that players loved about the original game while also being accessible to newcomers.

in addition to all funky monkeys, apes, and otherwise, this chat thread is dedicated to all the Nice Cats out there (frnech for chat)

(real, verified)

Sent from my iPhone

rox fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rox
Sep 7, 2016

The 7th Guest posted:

pics of some of the games in the OP:

haha what posted:

POLL STANDINGS end of WEEK 1

haha what posted:

POLL STANDINGS end of WEEK 2

lanky kong pulls ahead, can the funky crew possibly keep up?

haha what posted:

POLL STANDINGS end of WEEK 3

haha what posted:

POLL STANDINGS end of WEEK 4

only today and tomorrow left to vote if you havent already! will the demands of cheetah be met? what of the funky bunch? tune in whenever the may thread gets opened to find out i guess!

haha what posted:

POLL STANDINGS: FINAL DAY TO VOTE!!

its the final day to get your votes in and funky is trailing by 2 votes...will the dastardly cheetah get their way?? is lanky really the hardest kong to escape from? no matter what happens, its been a hell of a race!

poll closes tonight!

haha what posted:

thank you all for joining me this fine Ape ESCapril(tm)! the moment you've all been waiting for has arrived!! the HARDEST KONG TO ESCAPE FROM as chosen by YOU is...

FINAL POLL RESULTS (at the time of thread closure)

===

wow!!! proof that bullying DOES in fact work. congratulations to Lanky Kong and the inescapable cheetah7071.

unbelievable that Max Castillo wasnt able to catch up, but hey. theres always next year. now go on and shoo! theres a brand new thread for you to talk about, oh, i dont know, lets say: Metroid or something. Maytroid? sure whatevr.

new thread is here: thread that is definitely titled Maytroid (real, verified)

===

RESERVEVD

rox fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 1, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hey your shoe's untied

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

first

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I approve of Ape Escape

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:dukedog:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
why isn't lanky kong in the poll. feel like he'd be hard to escape from, with his fast handstand movement speed and stretchy arms

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
I ain't getting time travelled by none of you eastern hemisphere bastards.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

OP has no style, no grace

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
let's all remember nintendo's biggest fan 's trip to e3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJni-4j5s_0

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Marth Chat Thread was cancelled after all?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
LUNARK is good so far, it really is Flashback 4, though with more puzzles than combat, as the first area you're dropped into is finding a bunch of keys

Also turning what was a 3 button control scheme into a 6 button control scheme will throw off whatever muscle memory you have of playing the original Flashback

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 31, 2023

rox
Sep 7, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

why isn't lanky kong in the poll. feel like he'd be hard to escape from, with his fast handstand movement speed and stretchy arms

dunno what ur talkin abt he's right there

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
anime ruined video games

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

CottonWolf posted:

Marth Chat Thread was cancelled after all?

when they changed the thread title from under my nose, they wrote the thread's fate

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

where's tiny kong

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We also get more Vampire Survivors DLC and Live a Live on Steam/PlayStation in April

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Relax Or DIE posted:

oh that reminds me i need to have a meltdown about something before the end of the day

You should meltdown (again) about Sekiro

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

putnam whipple followup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToiyvjJoywg

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

haha what posted:

dunno what ur talkin abt he's right there

voted 5

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Relax Or DIE posted:

anime ruined video games

Sword Art Online et al assure me video games ruined anime.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Relax Or DIE posted:

anime ruined video games

Oh, you already had your meltdown

rox
Sep 7, 2016

homeless snail posted:

where's tiny kong

SNU please add Max Castillo to the poll

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

haha what posted:

ok

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No King Kong on poll.
Shameful.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
You put Bluster on the poll but not Leo Luster? For shame.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

i'm not positive how many items you can add to a poll

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Meganman super fighting bumper can't wait imo that's a fun game series that I'll play on my personal computer and if you try and stop me I will punish your moon in the name of rose by another would be just rear end sweat

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
ape escape rules

rox
Sep 7, 2016

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

i'm not positive how many items you can add to a poll

25 i think

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haha what posted:

wait this isnt fair i already voted

rox
Sep 7, 2016

april makes fools of us all

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Aperil

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
April showers, May flowers

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I am thankful for no interesting games releasing in April. Gives me time to play clear out the proverbial backlog.

Maybe I'll play Ape escape?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

veeg has been playing Okami for 40 hours and only just realised that the wolf in the story at the beginning of the game is also the same wolf you’re playing as

In my defense, they did have different names. I tried to explain my reasoning, but Regy is right and there is no excuse.

Just bumbling around, completing games I love while being a goofy dunce.

Goodness help me if I ever tackle La-Mulana.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Dead island 2 comes out the 21st is going to be good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Seems like April will be a good catch-up month...

Now that I know the Cool Serve Delicious series is at its apex I will play the new one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It is not April yet, I demand an extra day be added to the February chat thread next year to make up for it.