Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

the siren is meant to spook the tornado and make it go away you fool, you moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

it is orders of magnitude more effective to push emergency warnings to everyone's phones.

or at least not used to be until certain governments had the brilliant idea to start to spam out "blue alerts" and "silver alerts" for hundreds of miles away leading to people disabling the emergency alerts on their phones.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

In the city where I live we have a poo poo ton of tornadoes and myself and everyone I know who grew up here is trained to listen for the sirens, so uhh, idk. I had a tornado rip thru a neighborhood just a few miles from my house a few years back and the sirens were absolutely on point. I think they should keep using them and they're pretty helpful lol

If they could do phone stuff as a backup that would be fine too, but pushes can be delayed and unreliable, and so can sms, so you need the sirens. That poo poo will pop up minute to minute

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

HON, BE SURE TO KEEP RECORDIN', THA TEEVEE DUN GONNA PAY US ALOTTA MONEE IF'N WE LIVE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

please dont make fun of idiots.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Sirens are specifically designed for outdoor use (not designed or expected to be heard indoors) and have an effective range of a half mile. (Could be lower based on weather conditions). Cell alerts are far more effective, or even a weather radio.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

SirPablo posted:

Sirens are not warnings jfc

This storm had a tornado warning on it for hours. A tornado watch was issued hours ahead of time. Severe weather was forecast for DAYS ahead of time.

gently caress off

lmao with the fragmented media landscape, people not tuning in to tv/radio, emergency alert services on your phone being used for political ads or warning you that a cop got a boo-boo (why the gently caress is this a thing?!?) and weather alerts going over an enormous region so people get them often with no danger, yeah, we probably should just go back to the loving sirens.

Shifty Pony posted:

it is orders of magnitude more effective to push emergency warnings to everyone's phones.

or at least not used to be until certain governments had the brilliant idea to start to spam out "blue alerts" and "silver alerts" for hundreds of miles away leading to people disabling the emergency alerts on their phones.

yeah this.

i got dozens of silver alerts, officer down :yotj: and weather alerts for counties away until i got sick of it and turned it off like so many other people.

Harik has issued a correction as of 04:09 on Apr 2, 2023

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
It came without warning

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

SirPablo posted:

Sirens are specifically designed for outdoor use (not designed or expected to be heard indoors) and have an effective range of a half mile. (Could be lower based on weather conditions). Cell alerts are far more effective, or even a weather radio.

except, you know, that they're not effective because nobody's paying attention to them.

and lol at "effective range of half a mile" those oldschool sirens are loving loud. You could hear the weekly test of ours 5-6 miles away, indoors. if they're trying to use something dumb like a speaker yeah it won't carry worth a poo poo.

who the gently caress has a weather radio in 2023 outside of preppers

you might as well say "the only people we care about saving are the ones who deserve it. You know, not THEM."

speng31b
May 8, 2010

they renamed the sirens from tornado sirens to severe weather sirens because people around here tended to have the attitude "well if there's bad weather coming I won't worry about it until I hear the sirens," which was super dangerous.

Ideally you listen to local weather radio and news, and it's kind of an "either/or" situation. If the sirens go off you get to cover ASAP or if the local stations show bad stuff coming you do the same.

adding cell alerts would be great too, but not a replacement for sirens. Sirens where I am are loud as gently caress in any building I've every been in and go off consistently when the bad poo poo is coming, getting rid of them would be stupid as gently caress

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
what do you call an effective push alert system that you get a dozen times a month?

background noise.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

If you lose your proof of citizenship, you can replace it for

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

quote:

Estimated 2,500-3,300 ft. effective range / coverage radius

https://www.sentrysiren.com/outdoor-warning-sirens

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QR1Dk2UAhw

quote:

The siren has an output of 138 dB(C) (30,000 watts), and can be heard as far as 25 miles (40 km) away.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

oh look it's a loving speaker system

the exact thing i just said was absolute worthless garbage

but hey, I appreciate you going through the effort to confirm what i just said.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Oglethorpe posted:

If you lose your proof of citizenship, you can replace it for

in a shocking twist mississippi is a hard voter-ID state

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

quote:

The siren has an output of 138 dB(C) (30,000 watts), and can be heard as far as 25 miles (40 km) away. In 1952, the cost of a Chrysler Air-raid Siren was $5,500 (Equivalent to $61,851 as in December 2022). The United States government helped buy sirens for selected state and county law enforcement agencies.
if government actually gave a single poo poo about human life these things are dirt cheap and bulletproof.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I thought they were pretty much everywhere already

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
None of these are over a mile.

https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/Outdoor-Sirens-MSR_0315-508.pdf

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.5newsonline.com/amp/art...27-60c53ed93626

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
yes they're all variants on speakers, there's a massive physical difference between a coil-driven speaker and the mechanical interference that makes an air raid siren work

shockingly one has a range of 25 miles and the other makes it as far as a wet fart.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I don't know what to say to siren effectiveness debate other than I've lived with sirens my whole life in tornado alley, and I can't recall ever having been in a part of the city where they weren't loud and clear or a in a building they weren't audible when they were going off. maybe my area is unique, idk

I can't imagine anyone who would advocate doing away with sirens entirely has lived anywhere tornadoes are a regular threat, but maybe? seems stupid

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

You know what never ever has any problems with severe weather or lots of people using it or bad conditions? Cell phone towers!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What we need is market-driven cloud-based solutions to tornado warnings. :yayclod:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

speng31b posted:

I don't know what to say to siren effectiveness debate other than I've lived with sirens my whole life in tornado alley, and I can't recall ever having been in a part of the city where they weren't loud and clear or a in a building they weren't audible when they were going off. maybe my area is unique, idk

I can't imagine anyone who would advocate doing away with sirens entirely has lived anywhere tornadoes are a regular threat, but maybe? seems stupid

You can get smaller ones with a 2 mile effective radius (audible much farther, but maybe not indoors/over heavy machinery like tractors). That's pretty common for deploying in towns and being able to inform the outlying farms that tended to cluster around them.

I wouldn't put one of the massive 140db monsters in a small city but it wouldn't take THAT many 2 mile sirens to cover the entire urban area and the suburbs.

Harik has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Apr 2, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

speng31b posted:

same.

why not just do everything you can to tell people? scarcity rear end mindset. those truck mounted sirens are dope

Griz
May 21, 2001

taqueso posted:

I thought they were pretty much everywhere already

my town has a siren but I'm p sure it's only for calling up the fire dept or something because it goes off randomly with no other notifications. tornados are super rare here though and when they do happen they're weak as hell and just gently caress up a bunch of trees and fences.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

i love my weather radio and i watch local news stations when poo poo hits the fan. for me personally the siren is purely for storm ambiance but it’s useful for others in rural areas. there’s a reason they test them twice a week here.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Griz posted:

my town has a siren but I'm p sure it's only for calling up the fire dept or something because it goes off randomly with no other notifications. tornados are super rare here though and when they do happen they're weak as hell and just gently caress up a bunch of trees and fences.

that's actually one of the drawbacks. "hey we've got this neat area alert system we should use it for more things"

the recommendation is to only use it for real emergencies and extremely rare, pre-announced "is it still working?" tests or it becomes just more background noise. we transitioned our fire department to pagers in the 80s and the siren use got relegated to "it's noon" for a while then true emergency only.

basically all the lessons learned were not applied to cellular emergency alerts:
conflicting, confusing alerts get tuned out.
overbroad warnings lead to people being alerted and not seeing anything happen, so they get tuned out.
overuse really quickly gets tuned out.

but hey now we've got a system to quickly alert the public that a lil piggie got a booboo and that's worth all the death and suffering the undermining of the emergency alert system caused.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

SirPablo posted:

There are options that the cost is pretty reasonable when weighed against getting shredded to deaths.

https://www.armoredcloset.com/products/installs/

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Kid_in_a_Fridge

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

building above ground houses really was the original sin. we could have underground houses star wars tatooine style and they would be naturally insulated from extreme temperatures and winds

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I would like to take this post to announce my startup' s new blockchain-powered weather alert system. Using state-of-the-art AI generation technology backed by cloud-computing networks, we will give your country the ability to be warned of severe weather up to 5 minutes before it hits conditional on mining activity. We can even generate exclusive NFTs to sell on our marketplace to help your community begin to rebuild.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Sirens are just one aspect of getting tornado warnings.

quote:

https://dallascityhall.com/departments/officeemergencymanagement/Pages/Outdoor%20Warning%20Sirens.aspx

The Outdoor Warning System is not meant to be heard indoors, it is designed to alert anyone outside that they need to get inside. Once inside and safe, turn on your NOAA weather radio, TV, radio, or other news source for more information and instructions

DYK that in Boulder, CO they sound the sirens for flash floods?

quote:

https://www.boulderoem.com/preparedness/informed/sirens/

Sirens are an effective way to warn people who are outdoors and in an immediate threat to safety. They are primarily intended to warn individuals in outdoor and high-risk areas.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Harik posted:

not featured even once during this video: tornado sirens

25 loving miles on the ground, no warnings.

Around here (NW Arkansas), they play the siren a short period at the start of the warning and a short period at the end for an all clear. It's dumb as gently caress IMO and Little Rock is probably the same way.

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah, cell alerts are very nice.

This whole event was known for days though, schools were shutting down early in certain areas as well.

RandomBlue has issued a correction as of 06:01 on Apr 2, 2023

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

SirPablo posted:

Sirens are just one aspect of getting tornado warnings.

DYK that in Boulder, CO they sound the sirens for flash floods?

thats cool but have you considered being an irritating dumbass somewhere else

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Psycho Society posted:

thats cool but have you considered being an irritating dumbass somewhere else

Your mom said she was busy

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

The last few phones I’ve had let you disable the stupid alerts separately. I can’t remember the last time I saw one.

Now if you’re poor and have a bad phone maybe you can’t do that, but this is America so that is probably the intended behavior.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

growing up in oklahoma the sirens were loud as gently caress, you could definitely hear them inside, and hearing one made everyone pay attention.

weird that there were none in that video.

people ignore cellphones. hell, my parents, who still live there and are retired, only really pay attention when they hear sirens.

maybe we should... develop and maintain systems to peoples' behavior, not expect people to learn new systems? crazy thought

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

hmmmm yes but what if we just let everyone die instead?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

in my small PA hometown we had the air raid sirens that got repurposed for the firefighters

got tested every Tuesday at 6pm (my dog would test her howler right alongside them)

They could also be used as tornado warnings but those were so extremely rare in my area that none of the locals really made that connection anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

hifi posted:

building above ground houses really was the original sin. we could have underground houses star wars tatooine style and they would be naturally insulated from extreme temperatures and winds

investing in floodplains would result in repeat income from new homeowners