Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You hire day laborers to perform labor. Don't hire them to execute any kind of logistics, because it will never work out in your favor. You can rent the U-Haul truck, hire a few guys to help you load and unload and drive it to the dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
yes, this is the front of both houses, both new construction

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What the gently caress.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I love the suicide door on the left.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Let's see that drat ADT salesman knock on the door now.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Are these prepper forts by any chance?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Nenonen posted:

Are these prepper forts by any chance?

"I'm a survivalist"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Imasalmon posted:

Why not just wait until heavy trash day (last pickup of every other month around here), or filter it in with your normal trash?

Most places that I know of specifically state they don't accept roofing materials or other construction trash for bulk trash day, because they don't want the municipal trash system to spend every bulk trash day driving around picking up after contractors.

I suppose you could filter it in with normal trash if you did it over a long enough period of time, but then you've got a huge pile of roofing trash sitting there as you slowly throw away a few pounds a week.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Update:

I decided that hiring one of those pickups with "HAULING" spraypainted on the wooden wall would be too much hassle.

Instead, I rented a Home Depot box truck, filled it up, and drove it to the dump. #workedforme

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Success!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

`Nemesis posted:

It's one of the suburban developments where the "front door" is never to be used because everyone just drives up to the garage. Is it stupid? Yes. Many would argue there is no need for the front door to be there at all.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nitrox posted:

It's one of the suburban developments where the "front door" is never to be used because everyone just drives up to the garage. Is it stupid? Yes. Many would argue there is no need for the front door to be there at all.

I have a house like this, where the front door is never used. I go out there so rarely that last year I did so after months and found some food order for wings that was sitting there for 2+ months.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I have a house like this, where the front door is never used. I go out there so rarely that last year I did so after months and found some food order for wings that was sitting there for 2+ months.

Did you..?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I mean I don't know where you live or when this occurred. Could have been frozen solid, only needs nuking!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It was middle of winter and I’m in Wisconsin. I did not.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Nitrox posted:

Christ almighty the US is a hellscape

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

`Nemesis posted:

I kinda wish the front door was right by the sidewalk, and then a tunnel back to the house.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Khizan posted:

Most places that I know of specifically state they don't accept roofing materials or other construction trash for bulk trash day, because they don't want the municipal trash system to spend every bulk trash day driving around picking up after contractors.

I suppose you could filter it in with normal trash if you did it over a long enough period of time, but then you've got a huge pile of roofing trash sitting there as you slowly throw away a few pounds a week.

That is a fair point. Around here it is limited by volume. I'm in Houston, btw

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Buttchocks posted:

I kinda wish the front door was right by the sidewalk, and then a tunnel back to the house.

Personal funicular.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

First of May posted:

Personal funicular.

The make those! But I think the ones in the video have a better reason for existing than those houses have for looking like poorly planned Cities: Skylines zoning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUkoqppoFr8

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those godawful tower houses look like they took a design meant to sit partly below grade and planted it on the flat, christ

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Man has underground eel pit under his home.

https://v.redd.it/f9yrhs129jra1

I bet all that humidity is doing wonders for his foundation.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

kid sinister posted:

What else is he supposed to do? They’re always finding an entrance where they can

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

kid sinister posted:

Pretty sure it’s a cistern. Here’s a tour of his house, pit tour starts about 10 minutes in. https://youtu.be/AwyMWbSX404

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I only want an eel under my house if it was put there in 1859.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBW7cVZs8ys

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 2, 2023

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

kid sinister posted:

he said it was originally a cistern so it should be fine

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

`Nemesis posted:

I assume the guy who did the plans was confused on which side pointed uphill, but man, you'd think SOMEONE would push back on this poo poo

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Khizan posted:

I suppose you could filter it in with normal trash if you did it over a long enough period of time

I've been throwing away cutoff and scrap laminate flooring using this model for about two months now. The last of it went out today!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sash! posted:

I've been throwing away cutoff and scrap laminate flooring using this model for about two months now. The last of it went out today!

And it makes you feel a little bit like you're tunneling out of prison

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

`Nemesis posted:

The stairs are made from wood originally meant for the interior framing.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sash! posted:

Andy?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I love the suicide door on the left.

I will build myself an imitation stone castle
With one quick way out and no way in

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

canyoneer posted:

And it makes you feel a little bit like you're tunneling out of prison
Walking down the street shaking construction debris out of my pants legs.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sash! posted:

It's such a miserable way to get rid of poo poo. I want to just have it all gone at once but I don't want to spend dumpster money.

I just broke down my drywall and cement board scrap into little sheets and tossed half and stacked half for next week. I should just carry the stack down the street tomorrow and deposit a slice in each bin.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You could just do what every one of the previous owners here did and drop it by the back fence to let the future deal with it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

It's such a miserable way to get rid of poo poo. I want to just have it all gone at once but I don't want to spend dumpster money.

I just broke down my drywall and cement board scrap into little sheets and tossed half and stacked half for next week. I should just carry the stack down the street tomorrow and deposit a slice in each bin.

Taking stuff to the dump isn't that hard. You just need a vehicle it can be loaded into. It can be a car as long as the trash fits in it and you feel like you can control the dirt (e.g. with a tarp) or you don't care. Or you can rent a truck or van from a hardware store. You go to the dump, they weigh your vehicle and figure out what kind of trash you're getting rid of, tell you which of their giant piles to deposit it in, then weigh your vehicle again and charge you according to the difference.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Taking stuff to the dump isn't that hard. You just need a vehicle it can be loaded into. It can be a car as long as the trash fits in it and you feel like you can control the dirt (e.g. with a tarp) or you don't care. Or you can rent a truck or van from a hardware store. You go to the dump, they weigh your vehicle and figure out what kind of trash you're getting rid of, tell you which of their giant piles to deposit it in, then weigh your vehicle again and charge you according to the difference.

Heck, at my dump they don't bother to weigh, there's just a set fee per car/pickup load, or a separate fee if you bring a trailer. Also every residential household gets one free dump trip per year, in the form of a coupon sent by mail.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My dump is the same way, flat rate. It still costs! Load the truck, drive out there, do the labor, pay and return. I don't really have a lot of stuff to get rid of anyway, it's just that I don't want to fill it up and not have room for household trash.

I had a dumpster here in December to get rid of a deck I had to remove and the debris from my bathroom demo. It absolutely was worth it for that. Most of my trash only had to be handled once and I got to get rid of random debris that I stacked up in the backyard waiting.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Our local transfer station (mini dump) will accept most things with some limits so that they're not abused by remodelers. However they don't accept concrete or masonry debris so when I destroyed a small brick well house, I had to take it to the main dump that has a minimum cost of like $90 and then $90 a ton after that. It was an absolute rip off to only dump a single truck bed of poo poo there but at least I got it all done in one trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My local municipal landfill wants $20 to drop off an old TV that’ll sit at that corner of their lot for the next decade until they have enough of them to warrant action. :what: