Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I think you may be in a strong minority of people who care that deeply about the semantics of the matter. Just enjoy the cool budget decks Balon's been pumping out. It's been making me want to start doing my own decklists after having fun making that Izzet list a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Framboise posted:

Who is selling any precons anywhere for $20?

My LGS circa 2006.

To be fair, you also cannot buy this $45 deck for $45.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

LeafHouse posted:

My LGS circa 2006.

To be fair, you also cannot buy this $45 deck for $45.

I guess it's not $45 if you include shipping and tax, but those prices are pulled from TCGPlayer.

E:

$2.60 of the deck price is from Basics, so you can lower the price a little more.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

$2.60 of the deck price is from Basics, so you can lower the price a little more.

Regardless of any other feelings on the subject, from a technical standpoint, Moxfield does not put basics into the total cost unless you choose a printing specifically that is $1+ per land.

You can test by adding/removing one.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Regardless of any other feelings on the subject, from a technical standpoint, Moxfield does not put basics into the total cost unless you choose a printing specifically that is $1+ per land.

You can test by adding/removing one.

I know, I just meant I went into the cart and removed the basics and it knocked off ~$2.60. I just didn't bother taking a screenshot of that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Simone Poodoin posted:

I really need one of these team up cards to be Avacyn or Gisela riding Zetalpa, mono white please so I can use it on my angel aggro Giada deck.

There's only one other white legendary in Ixalan for Zetalpa to team up with and Galta already asked him to the dance.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Card concept check:

Tokening 1
Instant
Target nontoken creature becomes a token creature.

Or

Betoken'd 1
Enchantment
When ~ ETB target nontoken creature becomes a token creature until ~ Leaves.

Does this do anything or work in the rules? Not making a token copy, just assigning token penalties to a nontoken creature. Not sure if it's a good card, just curious if this would enable some weird combo of one of these + bounce to hand to destroy a creature instead. Or make it targetable for token-targetting cards or synergy.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

"When this permanent goes to a graveyard from the battlefield, exile it from that graveyard."

would probably be the proper templating for that effect. You can't make a non-token into a token in any reasonable way within the rules aside from replacement.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Exile target non-land permanent. Its controller creates a token copy of it.

Probably something like that.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Khanstant posted:

Card concept check:

Tokening 1
Instant
Target nontoken creature becomes a token creature.

Or

Betoken'd 1
Enchantment
When ~ ETB target nontoken creature becomes a token creature until ~ Leaves.

Does this do anything or work in the rules? Not making a token copy, just assigning token penalties to a nontoken creature. Not sure if it's a good card, just curious if this would enable some weird combo of one of these + bounce to hand to destroy a creature instead. Or make it targetable for token-targetting cards or synergy.

This would be like an un-set thing, because tokens aren't cards and cards aren't tokens. They'd have to redefined token as like a supertype, which they could do, but why?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Claire D'loon has an effect to turn tokens into cards, so I was wondering about the opposite as an incredibly narrow control spell. Sounds like the Tokening makes intuitive sense but not rules sense

Oh well, thanks!

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
https://edhrec.com/chat

there is a fun chat bot that will rate your deck. assuming it is an april Fool's sort of thing, but it did get the relative power levels of my decks correct.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Grevlek posted:

https://edhrec.com/chat

there is a fun chat bot that will rate your deck. assuming it is an april Fool's sort of thing, but it did get the relative power levels of my decks correct.

7?

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/Y8T4Kqh3cEeRjtsnyheitA

I would rate this deck a 7 out of 10. The deck has a good mix of creatures, spells, and lands with a synergistic theme based around Rin and Seri's abilities. However, there are a few individual card choices which could be optimized, and some powerful cards that could be added to make the deck more competitive. Would you like suggestions for improving your deck?

quote:

Here are a few suggestions to consider when upgrading your Rin and Seri, Inseparable deck:

1. Add more ramp: The deck currently has a low amount of ramp cards. Consider adding more ramp cards such as Kodama's Reach, Cultivate, and Skyshroud Claim to ensure you are able to cast more spells per turn.

2. Add board wipes: Board wipes such as Austere Command and Cleansing Nova can help deal with opponents' boardstates.

3. Add tutors: Adding more tutors such as Eladamri's Call and Green Sun's Zenith can help you find your key creatures or pieces of your combo.

4. Add more card draw: The deck could use more card draw to ensure you have enough answers in your hand. Cards like Hunter's Insight and Shamanic Revelation can help you refill your hand.

5. Upgrade the mana base: The current mana base has a mix of basic and shock lands, consider upgrading to fetch lands or dual lands to ensure you have consistent access to your colors.

6. Consider adding more protection: Protective cards like Boros Charm and Heroic Intervention help defend your board against board wipes and removal spells.

Remember, these are just suggestions and your choices should be based on your own play style and budget.

1 - Wrong those cards are garbage, the amount of ramp is probably within 5-10% of correct

2 - Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. Wrong.

3 - Correct, the deck deliberately isn't running tutors to make it less consistent and more "fun" and sort of mid/high

4 - Wrong. The deck has a lot of triggered card draw, which often also generate tokens, which can be turned into creatures and further draw for the triggers. I wouldn't necessarily expect a bot to get this.

5 - Wrong. The ramp requires basics and makes it less vulnerable to basic land hate, the pips required of colored mana on average are fairly low, there's not a good reason to run endless non-basics in every deck.

6 - Uh both of those cards are in the deck. Wrong.

It rated divergent Brisela (i.e. a joke deck) 8/10, Opus Thief (one of the strongest cEDH decks) 9/10, cEDH Najeela 8/10 (said it couldn't understand the deck) Yuriko 8/10 (it also seemed to think that Yuriko actually wanted to cast Draco which is lol)

Some of the cards included seem like they may not be helpful, and some of the card choices seem more geared towards a regular EDH deck rather than a Commander deck.

I don't even know what that means.

Anyway I think it's just running a correlation vs commonly used and "synergistic" cards, but "synergistic" cards according to EDH rec are those that are most associated with that commander but without being being played as much by other commanders.

It does seem to be nearly universally recommending more ramp and interaction, which is just good in general.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 1, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I too miss the days when I would absentmindedly chew on my Ice Age cards during lunch for fiber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttSWwTxbKM

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Yeah I'm sure it's a joke. I chose this deck at random: https://archidekt.com/decks/4271862

It looks to me like a very solid deck, but it only got a 7/10. "Needs more Commander synergy."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gynovore posted:

Yeah I'm sure it's a joke. I chose this deck at random: https://archidekt.com/decks/4271862

It looks to me like a very solid deck, but it only got a 7/10. "Needs more Commander synergy."

The "A Poem For Your Shrine" button owns.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Last year it just gave every deck a 7,, so I'm not sure, the various texts were actually fairly different when i fed it various decks.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jiro posted:

I too miss the days when I would absentmindedly chew on my Ice Age cards during lunch for fiber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttSWwTxbKM

Arena changed the unsleeved card backs to old worn out cards for April fools, and I hope they let everyone use them forever

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Same, the board is fun too. Definitely hope the card back in an option after. In general I would love more boards, part of why I goof in historic queue, the cool mysterious boards.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

Last year it just gave every deck a 7,, so I'm not sure, the various texts were actually fairly different when i fed it various decks.

It gave my Henzie Torre list a five, but suggested cards it already has. It gave Talrand a 7 and suggested things that specifically do not work.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It gave my Krark/Sakashima deck an 8. I'm so sad it didn't call it a 7. :(

That being said, I started dabbling with ChatGPT and asked it some cEDH-related questions. It's... terrifyingly astute? It makes a mistake here and there but it definitely knew what it was talking about.

quote:

Me:
Why would I want to build a Winota deck for competitive commander in Magic: the Gathering?

GPT:
Winota, Joiner of Forces is a powerful legendary creature in Magic: The Gathering that has the potential to create explosive turns and overwhelming board states. Building a Winota deck for competitive Commander play can be a strong choice for several reasons:

Winota's ability to put creatures into play for free: Winota's ability allows you to put any non-human creature from your top six cards into play for free whenever a non-human attacker you control deals combat damage to a player. This can lead to explosive turns where you put several powerful creatures onto the battlefield at once.

Access to powerful creatures: Since Winota's ability allows you to put any non-human creature from your top six cards into play for free, you have access to a wide range of powerful creatures that can quickly take over the game. Some popular choices include Agent of Treachery, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, and Sun Titan.

Synergy with other powerful cards: There are several other powerful cards that work well with Winota, such as Anointed Procession, which doubles the number of creature tokens you create, or Impact Tremors, which deals damage to opponents whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control. These cards can make your Winota deck even more explosive.

Overall, a well-built Winota deck can be a powerful and competitive choice for Commander play, especially if you are looking for a deck that can create explosive turns and overwhelm your opponents with a large number of creatures. However, it's important to note that Winota is a very strong card, and some players may not enjoy playing against decks that rely heavily on her ability.

Me:
It is worth noting that in competitive commander and in the commander format in general, your deck cannot contain cards that do not exist within your commander's color identity. Can you identify which card you mentioned in your previous response that would not be a legal card in such a deck?

GPT:
You are correct, and I apologize for the mistake in my previous response. Agent of Treachery is not a legal card in a Winota deck for competitive Commander play, as it is a blue card and Winota's color identity is red-white. Therefore, it is important to make sure that all cards in your Winota deck have a red-white color identity to comply with Commander rules. Some powerful red-white creatures that would be legal include Aurelia, the Warleader, Hero of Bladehold, and Gisela, Blade of Goldnight.

Like, it doesn't seem to explain how you'd want to build it for cEDH, but it's got a clear understanding of what the card does and what some good payoffs for it are.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

A friend of mine asked ChatGPT for ideas for a Purphoros deck and it offered up helpful things like "creatures that can enter the battlefield" and "enchantments like [lists three artifacts]" and token makers like [three mana rocks]. I imagine it might provide better answers for CEDH because there's probably more human-made content by people who know what they're doing, and the more general you get, the more it starts mimicking low-quality content-mine posts.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I tried running the decks I posted to discord recently through it:

• Tergrid: 8/10 - https://www.moxfield.com/decks/IzRv1xh3VEKtw8oLoy_pLQ - "Not enough removal. Also, add Oversold Cemetery" lmao. A deck with 6 creatures and Oversold Cemetery
• Tivit Time Sieve ($50 Budget): 4/10 - https://www.moxfield.com/decks/w6KZNPI2cEuKy8SEydCa1w - It recommends me to add 6-8 cards already present in the deck.
• Meria KCI ($150 Budget): 5/10 - https://www.moxfield.com/decks/6yvgSqAXjkCjZKbN8xXNFw - It incorrectly identifies Meria as "Merai" (which is not a card) and her color identity as WUG, which leads to completely incorrect analysis.
• Tatsunari Druid Combo ($200 Budget): 4/10, 7/10 - https://www.moxfield.com/decks/J_YwUUXXCEC1wCeaaaqKow - It initially said 4/10, but I accidentally closed the tab and it said 7/10 the second time. Wants me to add Deathtouch equipment for "commander synergy" when my commander doesn't damage creatures and is evasive. Thinks I should use overruns and Blue Sun's Zenith as finishers.
• Brokkos Infect ($100 Budget): 6/10 - https://www.moxfield.com/decks/D_MYWXvyH0y8M8jy2uGykg - It recommends to me half a dozen cards already in my deck. Then it tell me to add Leyline of the Void and Phyrexian Scriptures as alternate "win conditions", something both of those cards are absolutely not.
• Gretchen Landfall ($150 Budget): 6/10 - https://www.moxfield.com/decks/NjSOt4iMwU-GQFOly2GUSA - It recommends Squandered Resources, which is illegal, and Natural Affinity, which is suicidal. It also recommends Rest in Peace (illegal) and Counterspell/Beast Within (fair).

Overall, it seens to misidentify the deck (commander and/or color identity) fairly regularly, which leads to illegal recommendations. It also keeps telling me yo add cards I already have in. Even when it has those right, it recommends nonsensical adds, and regularly classifies bizarre cards as wincons. Rarely, it tells me to add fetches/shocks or some good staples (Counterspell/Beast Within) but it just as often tells me to add bad cards like Cultivate/Reach, so you can't trust anything it says.

Neat concept, but it's miles from being usable, much less useful.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Framboise posted:

Like, it doesn't seem to explain how you'd want to build it for cEDH, but it's got a clear understanding of what the card does and what some good payoffs for it are.

Really? Winota puts humans into play when you attack with nonhumans. Literally every powerful card it listed is a non-human, which don't get cheated into play. Also the bot explains that it's based on combat damage, but, no, that's not correct either, it's when a non-human attacks.

It's more a matter of taste, but impact tremors/anointed procession are also not great with her and not particularly explosive. What's brutal about wintoa is using heavy stax effects with her to keep your opponents from doing anything while you chew their life totals down.

It's a Chinese room. It doesn't understand anything, and it's dangerous to assume that just because it can correlate a lot of things, what it's telling you is meaningful.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Like I said, it made mistakes, but it still understood the gist of what you'd want to be doing. I'm not going to it for meaning or value, I just wanted to see what it came up with.

I would have been really impressed if it understood that Winota is a stax deck and why that's good, but the answer I got was still enough to impress me coming from an AI in less than 10 seconds.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
ChatGPT "understands" the "gist" of gently caress-all, which is evident in how basically every sentence it says about Winota has dumb mistakes that even the most idiot magic player wouldn't make. Remember that it is just cutting up, recombining, and regurgitating text that it got from scouring the internet, which would presumably include tons of people talking about Winota in a way that isn't loving stupid. In light of that, it's kind of amazing how much it fucks up.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Claire D'loon has an effect to turn tokens into cards, so I was wondering about the opposite as an incredibly narrow control spell. Sounds like the Tokening makes intuitive sense but not rules sense

Oh well, thanks!

Claire D'loon is also specifically an unset card

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Claire D'loon is also specifically an unset card
The opposite wouldn’t really break anything the way Claire does (i.e. making you treat non-cards as cards). We already have effects like turning all artifacts into creatures, so turning a creature into “a token” would just mean it can be targeted/affected by things that deal with tokens (or dodge non-token things). Once the card went to the graveyard it would cease to be a token, and would just stay there. For the permanent version they could do it in alchemy in Arena (“target non-land permanent perpetually becomes a token”) and just handle making it disappear when a token should.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

ChatGPT "understands" the "gist" of gently caress-all, which is evident in how basically every sentence it says about Winota has dumb mistakes that even the most idiot magic player wouldn't make. Remember that it is just cutting up, recombining, and regurgitating text that it got from scouring the internet, which would presumably include tons of people talking about Winota in a way that isn't loving stupid. In light of that, it's kind of amazing how much it fucks up.

Thank you for writing this so I don’t have to.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Magic: The Gathering - "enchantments like [lists three artifacts]"

:gary:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
There is already a way to turn a physical card into a token, for what it's worth - you copy a mutate spell with Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief (or any copy effect that can change targets)

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
So I thinned out my decks a bit yesterday, aiming to have fewer overlaps in color identity. Having freed up both staples and good mana bases a bit, I set out to tackle a few color identities I don't currently have in my collection. I spent some time going through what I have for legendaries and came up with:

WG: Emiel the Blessed (ETB combo)
WUB: Queza, Augur of Agonies (card advantage combo)
WR: ??? (equipment aggro, probably modular commanders running Akiri/Bruse, Ardenn/Rogaghh, Reyav, or Bruenor)

The equipment deck seems pretty straightforward, and is essentially an improved, updated version of an Akiri/Bruse deck I had built a few years ago and have regretted taking apart ever since. But my questions for the thread are:

Is Emiel a good bet for ETB combo? I feel like with green's ramp, I can have enough mana to suitably abuse using her ability multiple times per turn and can set up a bunch of different win cons. This deck would almost entirely ignore her second ability and focus on ETB rather than counters. I'm just curious if anyone ITT has experience running Emiel or playing against her.

Is Queza strong enough for "card draw tribal?" I would try to have nearly every (non-land) card in this deck draw me cards in some way, so between the intrinsic value of card advantage and her ability, is this a good bet? My feeling is that her ability might get her hated off the table, but I would be in blue with an insane amount of card advantage, so I can consistently hold up counterspells for removal. The life gain from her ability might keep me from getting hated off the table too. Lately I've been more and more hesitant of commanders that are too indiscriminate and get hated off the table too early/often, but Queza seems decently aggressive without being too much of a pain in the rear end. Thoughts?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Railing Kill posted:

Is Emiel a good bet for ETB combo?

Yes this is basically every successful Emiel deck.

Workhorse/Village Bell-ringer/Abdel Adrian/Brood Monitor + Cathars' Crusade/Ashnod's Altar/Hardened Scales etc.

Railing Kill posted:

Is Queza strong enough for "card draw tribal?"

No. If you drew every single card in your deck, it wouldn't be enough to kill everyone, and it would be a miserable process.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Yes this is basically every successful Emiel deck.

Workhorse/Village Bell-ringer/Abdel Adrian/Brood Monitor + Cathars' Crusade/Ashnod's Altar/Hardened Scales etc.

No. If you drew every single card in your deck, it wouldn't be enough to kill everyone, and it would be a miserable process.

No, silly. Then you cast Thassa's Oracle.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mairsil the Pretender looks fun. I assume the plan is flicker, clone, and resummon him a bunch to cage a ton of stuff with powerful activated abilities. Do people tend to go all in with him trying to get a combo win, just outvalue everyone to death, or is there a plan to do some more traditional combat win?

Bayham Badger
Jan 19, 2007

Secretly force socialism, communism and imperialism types of government onto the people of the United States of America.

I have a budget ($50-70) casual Queza deck that's eked out some wins and is pretty fun, but I can't imagine having a good time playing it by just exclusively going card draw effects on every single card. The only "win-con" I have revolving around card draw is Enter the Infinite, which I happened to have lying around. Drogskol Reaver or Peer into the Abyss would probably be better if you want to go that route, but I haven't, since I've found it's more fun to synergize the life drain as well as card draw based tokens/+1/+1 counters to go tall.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Counterpoint: actually it is fun and I've killed everyone this way before :gary:

I have the Drogskol combo in there, which is fun, but it's way more satisfying to just wheel everyone to death in one turn. Or Teferi's Puzzle Box, but that puts a target on my back real hard. I've found it's all about timing. Don't need to do 120 points of damage if you get other players to whittle that number down just a bit :coolslime:

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Johnny Truant posted:

Don't need to do 120 points of damage if you get other players to whittle that number down just a bit :coolslime:

There are plenty of decks that don't care about anyone else's life total or only care on the turn they win.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ego Trip posted:

There are plenty of decks that don't care about anyone else's life total or only care on the turn they win.

*thoracle intensifies*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I probably won't go the Labman/Thoracle route, and in hindsight I was probably exaggerating when I said every card would draw cards. It would be a lot, but also combo synergies and maybe stuff to capitalize on the lifegain side of her ability too.

Toshimo expressed the concern that's in the back of my mind, but I think if I keep it in mind and build more ways to do damage and/or combo off and not just durdle around drawing cards, it might be doable.