Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Endless Mike posted:

Apple Music Classical is downloading for some people

!!! I am excited for this, thanks for the heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I can confirm that 5G now works on Google Fi with the newest iOS update.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
over 2 gigs for an update that adds 21 new emoji...apple has done it again!!!!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
When are they going to fix the drat bug where the torch button appears to be on but isn't!!!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
16.4 reset my safari new tab screen to show everything (the useful "privacy report" section, etc.), but at least those were easily toggled off again. But it also has content from apps showing up in spotlight even though the toggle for them in settings remained set to off. flipping the switch on/off again, along with multiple restarts hasn't fixed the issue so i guess i get to look forwarded to tons of garbage polluting my search when i pretty much use it as an app launcher. :(

edit: well it seems in the time it took me to type up my extreme ragepost, it's no longer showing extraneous results, so i guess i had to give it more time to rebuild destroy the search index

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 28, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The voice isolation feature can apparently only be turned on and off during a phone call. There isn’t an offline setting to do it outside of one. What rear end-backwards thing is that?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So with web notifications for websites on the home screen, is it finally time to uninstall all social network apps and go web version only to remove all that bloat?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is anyone else getting lots of Apple password reset requests in foreign languages?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Today my 14 Pro Max locked up in a way I’ve never seen before. The screen froze at 1:56pm (about 2 hours ago now) and doesn’t respond to anything including multi-minute holding of the power button.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there anything I can do other than wait for it to shut down from low power hours from now and hope it returns to life after that?

Twist I didn’t expect: SMS from my non-cellular Watch still works!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Did you try a hard reset? (Rapidly: Volume up, release, volume down, release, press and hold power button until Apple logo appears)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Holy poo poo this forum is amazing. It’s booting now, pray for me. I love you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Subjunctive posted:

Today my 14 Pro Max locked up in a way I’ve never seen before. The screen froze at 1:56pm (about 2 hours ago now) and doesn’t respond to anything including multi-minute holding of the power button.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there anything I can do other than wait for it to shut down from low power hours from now and hope it returns to life after that?

Twist I didn’t expect: SMS from my non-cellular Watch still works!

Been seeing a few apps freeze up lately, requiring a restart to run properly.
Think I'm gonna factory reset my phone again soon.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

The voice isolation feature can apparently only be turned on and off during a phone call. There isn’t an offline setting to do it outside of one. What rear end-backwards thing is that?

Yeah, that’s utterly bizarre. I remembered to turn it on earlier and I guess I’m probably going to have to wait a day or two to see if it even stays on

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

~Coxy posted:

When are they going to fix the drat bug where the torch button appears to be on but isn't!!!

It's fixed in 16.4 for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Torch button

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TORCH

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, that’s utterly bizarre. I remembered to turn it on earlier and I guess I’m probably going to have to wait a day or two to see if it even stays on
I called myself at work multiple times just now. It stays on. So far, anyway.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I feel like there should be an indicator when you’ve turned Call Forwarding on so you don’t forget and have all your calls invisibly fail until you figure it out

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Did you try a hard reset? (Rapidly: Volume up, release, volume down, release, press and hold power button until Apple logo appears)

I'm pissed that they explained this absolutely nowhere and I have to use someone else's phone to google it when my phone locks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm pissed that they explained this absolutely nowhere and I have to use someone else's phone to google it when my phone locks.

Yeah it should really be etched into the phone somewhere. I have to look it up nearly every time, though I am a complete moron.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The dude at the AT&T store told me that using any of my previous wireless chargers or iphone bricks would blow up my new 14 and I needed to buy all new ones. Obviously this is complete bullshit, but is there actually anything to know about charging a 14? seems to be working fine with all my other chargers.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hope you got apple care for when your new phone blows up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh poo poo it just blew up :rip:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They can charge off of inductive stovetops now

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Just make sure not to plug it in upside down and you’ll be fine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The 14 is designed to charge exclusively off microwaves

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Microwave (Oops!) is a disaster that occurs in SimCity 2000. When the beam from the orbiting satellite misses the microwave power plant and hits something else instead, the microwave disaster is initiated. A large fire will start near the receiver dish.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

The dude at the AT&T store told me that using any of my previous wireless chargers or iphone bricks would blow up my new 14 and I needed to buy all new ones. Obviously this is complete bullshit, but is there actually anything to know about charging a 14? seems to be working fine with all my other chargers.

These new phones accept fast charging due to their larger battery capacity - you can fast charge your phone to 50% in 30 minutes with a 24w+ usb c charger.

A MagSafe cable is a nice option if you don’t want to fumble around with a cable in the dark, or want to use a magnetic car charging mount in your car. They’re also typically usb c.

If you don’t care about faster charging or MagSafe, you’ll probably get by just fine with your existing chargers. Many new devices can be fast charged over usb c, so they’re nice to have around anyways.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 1, 2023

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ahh, a classic https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/...-t-9743281.html

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well drat, iPhone 13 is for sale in Finland, but only in specific cities. 699€ but closest is 160km away. Train tickets for round trip would be 13€ but I don’t want to waste so much time.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
holy poo poo guys the iphone 13 is out in finland

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Do they have remote money transferring capability and postal mail in Finland

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Are you natural born idiots or did you have to study to be one?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

You are aware that you're posting on somethingawful.com yes?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ihmemies posted:

Some context in your post about why you are excited that an old phone is for sale in Finland might have helped. Is it normal that you guys run two years behind or something?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Some context in your post about why you are excited that an old phone is for sale in Finland might have helped. Is it normal that you guys run two years behind or something?

Iphones are expensive here. That's why most people have Android phones I suppose. I can't spot a difference between iphone 14 and 13 even with a microscope. They even use the same chip, A15. Cheapest iphone is 940€ and if I could have gotten a 13 for 700€ it would have been a good deal.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ihmemies posted:

Iphones are expensive here. That's why most people have Android phones I suppose. I can't spot a difference between iphone 14 and 13 even with a microscope. They even use the same chip, A15. Cheapest iphone is 940€ and if I could have gotten a 13 for 700€ it would have been a good deal.

It's in the thread title, OP

e: camera lenses big as well

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I mainly want a non-Google phone. Google killed coding competitions and added file amount limits to Gdrive. I don't want to wait what they kill next, I'd rather proactively unplug myself off Google services and products.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Now every time I full screen a YouTube video a little message appears in the middle of the screen to tell me that I have full screened the video for a few seconds. This is not fatal but it is annoying as hell. Is there a way to disable this helpful prompt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I just checked and that doesn’t happen watching videos on YouTube.com with safari and the vinegar extension