Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

BiggerBoat posted:

I caught a short bit today with a guest or a caller that is suddenly gravely concerned about military spending (Ukraine), which was something. I immediately thought of the cost of the Iraq war but oddly nobody brought that up

Yes but Iraq and Afghanistan were started by the libs you see, who ruled unbroken from Clinton to Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
What in the world were they thinking?
So many other republicans who arent batshit crazy they could have interviewed.
One can only hope that it makes her look worse, I guess.

https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1641863327415410691

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He hasn't even officially been charged

This is what keeps getting me. The charges haven't even been read or unsealed but by god everyone knows it's a made up political witch hunt!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Dominion/Fox trial will start on April 17th.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/28/dominion-fox-news-hosts-testify-trial.html

"While both Dominion and Fox last week urged (Judge) Davis to make a ruling without going to trial next month, the case has to proceed as if a trial will take place. Davis indicated he would make a ruling before the scheduled April 17 trial start date. If a trial occurs, it is expected to last for weeks. "

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OgNar posted:

Dominion/Fox trial will start on April 17th.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/28/dominion-fox-news-hosts-testify-trial.html

"While both Dominion and Fox last week urged (Judge) Davis to make a ruling without going to trial next month, the case has to proceed as if a trial will take place. Davis indicated he would make a ruling before the scheduled April 17 trial start date. If a trial occurs, it is expected to last for weeks. "

Both sides requested summary judgement, which is normal, and neither side got it. However, apparently some of the allegations made by dominion have been supported well enough that they received a partial judgement?

So, I guess they only need to try the parts where a factual determination is still needed?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Murgos posted:

Both sides requested summary judgement, which is normal, and neither side got it. However, apparently some of the allegations made by dominion have been supported well enough that they received a partial judgement?

So, I guess they only need to try the parts where a factual determination is still needed?

Dominion won that Fox lied and all their claims about fraud were false, basically all thats left is "did Fox have actual malice (ie knowingly lied or acted with reckless disregard for the truth)", Fox is hosed

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1641892337474207745?s=20
https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1641894525370093572?s=20
https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1641904385075605505?s=20

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It seems Fox is almost as hosed as Alex Jones. I don't get though how that discovery doesn't clearly show reckless disregard when they clearly admit they lied for stock prices.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

mobby_6kl posted:

It seems Fox is almost as hosed as Alex Jones. I don't get though how that discovery doesn't clearly show reckless disregard when they clearly admit they lied for stock prices.

It's almost impossible to win defamation cases on summary judgement and it's pretty surprising that Dominion won as much as they did

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Piell posted:

It's almost impossible to win defamation cases on summary judgement and it's pretty surprising that Dominion won as much as they did

Didn't the AJ go exactly like that though? Maybe I'm misremembering it but I thought the trials were only for determining damages.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Alex Jones got defaulted in his cases. That's why it went straight to damages.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Didn't the AJ go exactly like that though? Maybe I'm misremembering it but I thought the trials were only for determining damages.

Specifically AJ had egregious fuckery in the discovery phase, not bringing qualified corporate representatives, withholding analytics and financial documents etc. to the point that they got a default judgement, and the trial was only for damages. Thats extremely exceptionally rare in the legal system.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

mobby_6kl posted:

Alex Jones refused to cooperate with the court (actually with multiple courts in two states) on basic discovery to such an extent that every judge involved rendered default judgments on all charges against him. Alex Jones didn't even get to the part where he handed over damning emails.

It cannot be overstated how badly Jones hosed up; the type of judgments he had rendered against him are normally only done in cases where the defendants don't even bother to show up for trial.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Alex Jones refused to cooperate with the court (actually with multiple courts in two states) on basic discovery to such an extent that every judge involved rendered default judgments on all charges against him. Alex Jones didn't even get to the part where he handed over damning emails.

He kinda did, but only by accident when his blithering cretin of an attorney accidentally sent all of his texts to the plaintiff's attorney and then forgot to challenge them within the appropriate time frame.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 1, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
He also handed over some emails, but basically just some of the infowars inbox, so it was full of insane hundred-page pdfs of insane people, and one email contained CSAM sent to infowars, but all the stuff the plaintiffs actually wanted wasn't in there.

Such an insane set of trials…

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It cannot possibly be over stated how blatantly Alex Jones hosed around before finding out. Court cases against people with money take years. Jones has money, and took those years. He then absolutely refused to do anything. At all. Nothing.

He had the normal years of the wheels of justice turning slowly, then let the judges spend years beyond that become impatient and pissed off by asking for the simplest, most milquetoast poo poo and getting told to sit and spin. "Mr. Jones we know you have emails you have a website, give us those emails. We know you have text messages you have a phone, give us those texts." His team spent those years screaming on TV that the judge was a vampiric Satan worshipping pedophile cannibal puppy kicker and refused to do anything. Not saying in court "We can't in good conscience (WINK loving WINK) comply with your request as it would violate our client's right to not have hurt fee fees."

They spent more years doing not a god drat thing. Judges finally said "All right, final warning. If you won't present a defense the court will assume the evidence presented by the other side must be true since you won't even begin to present a defense of fact in argument. Are you sure you want to do this? I'm counting to three. One. Two. Two and a half. Two and three quarters. Two and nine tenths. Two and 99 one hundredths. Are you absolutely sure? Two and 999 one thousandth. Last chance. Seriously. All right, guilty."

Then the eternal fuckups that were available and willing to continue working with a beligerent drunken rear end in a top hat accidentally sent a file dump of his entire text message history, proving that he and they had also spent those years blatantly lying.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
And the cherry, medical records of the sandy hook kids and parents just happen to be in the phone as well.

Still surprised nothing has come of that yet. Though I think a lawyer did get sanctioned.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo, you're all right of course. I forgot about the whole defaulting thing, as I started following it only once the actual trial turned into a circus.

The Fox people are all competent and (mostly) sane enough that this poo poo won't happen of course but the evidence seems pretty solidly against them anyway.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

OgNar posted:

Just came to see if this was posted. Insane that they are platforming a unabashed white supremacist who tried to start an insurrection and legitimize her. The framing on this is that she is bold and in your face not afraid to share her opinions this is apologia for bigots.

Vire fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 1, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vire posted:

Just came to see if this was posted. Insane that they are platforming a unabashed white supremacist who tried to start an insurrection and legitimize her. The framing on this is that she is bold and in your face not afraid to share her opinions this is apologia for bigots.
I mean this is the same show that previously employed Lara Logan, who is batshit insane and was allowed to do similar apologia

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vire posted:

Freakshows get the crowds in. The profit motive reigns supreme on the dying platform od broadcast tv, same as it ever did.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Burning_Monk posted:

And the cherry, medical records of the sandy hook kids and parents just happen to be in the phone as well.

Still surprised nothing has come of that yet. Though I think a lawyer did get sanctioned.

Sanctions motions got filed a day or two ago and hoo boy, is the motion deliciously spicy.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rbhxyra4...ss+Pleading.pdf

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Sanctions motions got filed a day or two ago and hoo boy, is the motion deliciously spicy.

Now that is a meatball!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Vire posted:

While I was thinking she looks like a Karen/Trumpette, she was also the one who interviewed Trump when he just got fed up and walked out because he didnt like her questions.
So, I dont know how MTGs might go.
But #BoycottCBS and #Boycott60minutes has been trending since last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdAh2HJ98WE

e: lol, at about 15:40 he claims he has seen all of Bidens interviews and you never asked Joe a hard question.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

OgNar posted:

While I was thinking she looks like a Karen/Trumpette, she was also the one who interviewed Trump when he just got fed up and walked out because he didnt like her questions.
So, I dont know how MTGs might go.
But #BoycottCBS and #Boycott60minutes has been trending since last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdAh2HJ98WE

e: lol, at about 15:40 he claims he has seen all of Bidens interviews and you never asked Joe a hard question.

Pretty certain I saw someone on Twitter repost a tweet by MTG praising Stahl and 60 Minutes. Could be MTG's too fuckin' dumb to realize she's participating in a hit piece, but the 60 Minutes presser makes it sound like it's gonna' be some "Profile in Courage"-type garbage.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Considering that the Texas bar failed to hold Powell accountable for her equally frivolous and irresponsible conduct I have no faith that Jones’s lawyers will be treated any differently.

This judge may sanction them but they’ll keep practicing law and making $$$ RWM grift money.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Vire posted:

I never got the "platforming" argument. She already has a massive platform, several of them. Going on 60 Minutes isn't going to persuade anyone that her batshit conspiracy theories are valid because the only types of people remotely sympathetic to her aren't watching 60 Minutes to begin with, and are already following her on Fox News and twitter (which at this point have an arguably larger reach than 60 Minutes)

This is the same program that's given platforms to serial killers, dictators, KKK apologists, and other fascists without much outrage

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Pretty certain I saw someone on Twitter repost a tweet by MTG praising Stahl and 60 Minutes. Could be MTG's too fuckin' dumb to realize she's participating in a hit piece, but the 60 Minutes presser makes it sound like it's gonna' be some "Profile in Courage"-type garbage.

My guess is there's gonna be a lot of stuff that will be mocked and meme'd to hell and back in between the calls for genocide, but the interview will maintain a "Professional" tone throughout that she thinks she came off reasonable

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Chuds seem to be split between those convinced they are still being shadowbanned and those who are incredibly smug that they are witnessing some kind of sea change with partisan bias on social media:
https://twitter.com/TRHLofficial/status/1642167988181762049?t=7g_M3AJFOafTa6kqMhMzag&s=19

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

je1 healthcare posted:

I never got the "platforming" argument. She already has a massive platform, several of them. Going on 60 Minutes isn't going to persuade anyone that her batshit conspiracy theories are valid because the only types of people remotely sympathetic to her aren't watching 60 Minutes to begin with, and are already following her on Fox News and twitter (which at this point have an arguably larger reach than 60 Minutes)

This is the same program that's given platforms to serial killers, dictators, KKK apologists, and other fascists without much outrage

I think the framing matters if it’s framed like she is a hateful member of a the most extreme fringe of the house that’s ones thing but the verbiage of the tweet and mtg own message makes it come off as she is not afraid to speak her mind as is courageous and won’t be shamed by some mild manner decorum questions because she isn’t as thin skinned as trump. I think that helps no one and normalizes seeing fascist on tv. She hangs out with neo nazis all the time. There is literally no upside to interviewing her outside of “ratings” and I have no problem with people dragging cbs for it.

Now I agree that yelling on twitter probably won’t do much but it’s still gross to me.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
MTG said that Jews were using space lasers to start fires in California.

Treating her as anything other than a new generation Nazi is treating her too well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Captain_Maclaine posted:

XIV.D Dr. Pettingill did not consider the Connecticut judgment because he does not possess the powers of prophecy.

XXIII. The Mere Five Record Citations in the Motion are All Frivolous and Misrepresented

:discourse:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

OgNar posted:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I think this has something to do with a judge getting heckled at Stanford by law students recently. I guess cancel culture is real?

https://twitter.com/aaronsibarium/status/1642345477692686336?t=cxyk1B4Xoz-IuAG5ih6X0w&s=19

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Panfilo posted:

I think this has something to do with a judge getting heckled at Stanford by law students recently. I guess cancel culture is real?

They are doing it in protest of a judge that got heckled because he is a douchebag.

This is what I found about him.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/03/trump-judge-kyle-duncan-stanford-law-scotus-audition.html

"Recall that this man made his way to the bench by being a professional bully. Before his elevation to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in 2018, Duncan tried to revoke gay parents’ rights over their adopted children, defended same-sex marriage bans, and fought against the rights of transgender schoolchildren. He condemned the constitutional right to same-sex marriage as a “license” to “persecute churches” and an “abject failure,” warning that it “imperils civic peace.”"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

https://deadspin.com/clay-travis-transphobia-covenant-school-shooting-1850287356

The people using the Nashville shooting to justify loving with trans people's issue are bothering me more than the usual poo poo most of them get up to. In addition to being bigoted and hateful, it's also loving stupid.

The Golden State Killer was a cop. Guess these morons must really be digging deep into what makes the police so prone to killing, right? John Gacy and Jeff Dahmer must mean that all gay men or people who dress as clowns are headed down a path towards serial murder. Let's take ONE incident and use it to confirm and reinforce our predetermined lovely world views.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

BiggerBoat posted:

https://deadspin.com/clay-travis-transphobia-covenant-school-shooting-1850287356

The people using the Nashville shooting to justify loving with trans people's issue are bothering me more than the usual poo poo most of them get up to. In addition to being bigoted and hateful, it's also loving stupid.

The Golden State Killer was a cop. Guess these morons must really be digging deep into what makes the police so prone to killing, right? John Gacy and Jeff Dahmer must mean that all gay men or people who dress as clowns are headed down a path towards serial murder. Let's take ONE incident and use it to confirm and reinforce our predetermined lovely world views.

It was said earlier in the thread (and really stuck with me) that Conservative hypocrisy isn't a bug, it's a privilege.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

BiggerBoat posted:

Chuds already thought that particular minority group were dangerous freaks so hearing a mass shooter was trans heavily reinforced their existing prejudices.

I've said this many times, but conservatives take a very "atomized" view of society outside their boogeymen. Anything that overlaps too closely with their demographic are obviously isolated incidents with zero context or cultural inertia. The only systemic forces are the ones that are a threat to their status quo. So for instance, a mass shooter could be LGBTQ, Democrat, communist, FBI plant, etc etc. But never conservative. Look at their perception of the NRA for example-they love to say "No NRA member is going on mass shooting sprees, it's the degenerates that want to take your guns doing them".

OgNar posted:

They are doing it in protest of a judge that got heckled because he is a douchebag.

This is what I found about him.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/03/trump-judge-kyle-duncan-stanford-law-scotus-audition.html

"Recall that this man made his way to the bench by being a professional bully. Before his elevation to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in 2018, Duncan tried to revoke gay parents’ rights over their adopted children, defended same-sex marriage bans, and fought against the rights of transgender schoolchildren. He condemned the constitutional right to same-sex marriage as a “license” to “persecute churches” and an “abject failure,” warning that it “imperils civic peace.”"

Yeah I posted the incident a week or so ago, but your article helps reinforce just how bad faith he was. The fact that he got invited by the Federalist Society was lost on a lot of conservatives, they were apalled at the idea law students lacked the :decorum: to be civil in front of a judge. A lot of chuds whined that anyone that would react this way had no place in a courtroom. What do they think would happen if they heckled a judge during trial, after all? The fact that they were NOT in a courtroom or other setting that gave the judge a bully pulpit was lost on them, of course. And this is also in part why the judge got so outraged at their reaction. He's in a position of immense legal power and privilege, far above most reproach yet COLLEGE STUDENTS are mocking him and asking him where the clitoris is during his Q and A. And yeah, he knew going into the lions den how it would play or.

That situation reminds me of when Rand Paul spoke at a HBCU and got roundly mocked. Maybe it got memory holed or due to chud goldfish brain but they don't mention that one. I also wonder if the staff and faculty really worried about a conservative backlash and so reined in their hostility. They certainly knew why he was there, and wasnt going to give him ammunition. Perhaps Stanford law students are in a more privileged position and feel there's less at risk in booing a chudge. Though this doesn't stop a lot of chuds from demanding all the students be expelled, the staff fired, and have colleges purged of Wrong think!

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 2, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Levantine posted:

It was said earlier in the thread (and really stuck with me) that Conservative hypocrisy isn't a bug, it's a privilege.

A frustrating example of this is Cancel Culture. So for conservatives, Cancel Culture represents the saying of how a lie can go halfway around the world before the truth leaves the door. According to them:

If [chud] works for you, their performance and their opinion are separate entities. Let their job performance shine on its own merits and don't judge them or commit prejudice against them for their own beliefs. Otherwise you create artificial pressure for everyone to arbitrarily agree ie group think.

But when the shoe is on the other foot, chuds love to throw their weight around. Hierarchies are absolute and above challenge. Don't like it? Leave! They absolutely relish the fantasy of ultra sadistic ideological punishments to their enemies. For disrespecting a judge at Stanford they think the students should be harshly punished. Often the punishments are so silly and over the top they unwittingly strengthen other chud boogeymen. A good example of this is stuff like "everyone who is critical of the United States should get drafted into the military and forced to fight for them". Yet they also bitch and moan that the military has gone woke! Well no surprise, chud McChuderson, your entire NCO pool of soldiers are all anarcho communists!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, once CHUDS go down their checklist after a shooting of "liberal, false flag, CIA plant, Antifa guy, illegal immigrant, etc" and get to where a shooter is 100% a MAGA rear end in a top hat, then he's just a "lone wolf". But one (as far as I know) trans person joining in on the USA School Shooter of the Month Club and suddenly we have a widespread, systematic societal issue with out of control, mentally ill, heavily armed and dangerous transgender people waging a civil war.

Lot of lone wolves at the Capitol on 1/6 too. I mean, the ones that weren't BLM/ANtifa undercover operatives anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The issue is that they are fully sold in on the Club Q shooter being non-binary--which even if it was true, the reasons for the shooting were still rightwing. Never mind a recent friend of the shooter has been like, "Dude he's trolling you," the shooter ran a neo-nazi website, and shot rainbow colored targets.

An anti-LGTBQIA+ shooter murdered queer people then tried to troll everyone with their gender identity and Matt Walsh and Tucker Carlson have BEEN actively helping with that trolling the community. And not like, "Well their rhetoric is blah blah" I mean, the shooter is literally trying to troll everyone and they are actively and very literally taking part in that trolling.

Jesse Gender's videos are pretty good deep dives into how horrific things are and how this really, really, really is how genocides start.