Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Current GC debate: Listen here punk I went to marine commando school and have a black belt in challah
https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1642295528879685632

e: 105 is the emergency number for reporting distribution and utility issues such as power cuts, electrical safety issues, or being so divorced you make videos like that

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

At least it was a brothel and not a playground or an abattoir.

Most girls working in brothels are victims of sex trafficking and all of them are (by definition, even) being pimped. You might want to consider withdrawing your remark.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They run the gamut from collectives of sex workers who have hired security to barely concealed trafficking fronts. That's the problem with current anti-sex work legislation though, it doesn't distinguish and calls them all brothels.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

They run the gamut from collectives of sex workers who have hired security to barely concealed trafficking fronts. That's the problem with current anti-sex work legislation though, it doesn't distinguish and calls them all brothels.

what's even the proper term for one that's frequented by tory MPs but doesn't have a concierge service open at 4 am

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Probably "a sting operation run by the whips", but the current law is so poorly worded that two sex workers sharing a flat and hiring a cleaning service would be classed as a brothel (with the maid/cleaner as the 'pimp', profiting from the sex work without engaging in it) so who knows.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Beefeater1980 posted:

The entire idea of redirecting refugees to Rwanda is deeply hosed up but Suella Braverman gives a perfectly sensible answer to a dumb question here. Laura K is a very very unimpressive interviewer.

the “liz truss “ of political interviewers was an excellent description

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Incredible stuff here from the Catholics

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

Most girls working in brothels are victims of sex trafficking and all of them are (by definition, even) being pimped. You might want to consider withdrawing your remark.

Is your position that adults in sex work is not in fact preferable to necrophilia or child molestation

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

Incredible stuff here from the Catholics

If society has broken down to the point you're worried about IEDs on the streets, I think a 15-minute city is the least of your problems.
But I'm not catholic, so who knows.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Dabir posted:

Is your position that adults in sex work is not in fact preferable to necrophilia or child molestation

I would say that raping a live trafficked person is in fact worse than defiling a corpse, however creepy the latter makes you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I were worried about being blown up by an IED I would probably be quite glad of having services local to me so I didn't have to drive as much.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RidgeOnSunday/status/1642437560038203392

Cruella's on a roll today...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Current GC debate: Listen here punk I went to marine commando school and have a black belt in challah
https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1642295528879685632

e: 105 is the emergency number for reporting distribution and utility issues such as power cuts, electrical safety issues, or being so divorced you make videos like that

The only person he'll kill is himself, with clogged arteries.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

If society has broken down to the point you're worried about IEDs on the streets, I think a 15-minute city is the least of your problems.
The entire point of the system of parishes and chapels of ease was that nobody should be more than a short walk away from services for the faithful, so I'm not sure they know their Catholic history either, unless Vatican II had something to say about the right to access a Walmart.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

what's even the proper term for one that's frequented by tory MPs but doesn't have a concierge service open at 4 am

it was probably just a humiliation thing

"please take all my belongings then kick me out while calling me a bad boy who made nanny very very cross indeed"

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

kingturnip posted:

Those of us from NI are thinking this lad knows gently caress all about IEDs on the streets, what a gobshite. :colbert:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm guessing with Schools being as underfunded and stripped to the bone as they are, they still don't have mandatory classes on common life skills?

I've got problems with my car battery and had a flat tyre on Friday. I only had the faintest notion of how to fix the tyre based on things I've seen in TV shows.

I've also got home DIY, electrical, and plumbing things that I've felt like I've been winging (or just getting someone out to help fix) but they look like quite basic issues to solve with the right know-how and practice (the amount of effort I've put into finding the right type of fixing to fix a loose coat hook on a plasterboard wall is Mr Beanesque).

It's just got me wishing there was a mandatory set of classes in high school or something that taught you things like how cars and plumbing and all that other stuff works with practical exercises to drill it home.

Same thing with taxes and pensions, etc.

I know there's only so much time in the day and all of the other subjects are important, but it just strikes me as odd that (at least when i was in school) it didn't seem like a priority to teach us that kind of stuff.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

doing things for yourself doesn't make money for somebody else op

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

she's all right!

Angrymog posted:

Our song is probably poo poo, but good for her

it's actually not bad

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
How funny would it have been if he died though.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The BBC did a complete 180 and has made the killing of those 12 refugees the main point now. I guess enough Tories were outraged, and aren't accepting of killing the refugees just yet?

e: Yup, here's the archive.org snapshot. It's the same URL reporting about the same BBC LK interview https://web.archive.org/web/20230402092823/https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65153807

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 2, 2023

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Kin posted:

I'm guessing with Schools being as underfunded and stripped to the bone as they are, they still don't have mandatory classes on common life skills?

I've got problems with my car battery and had a flat tyre on Friday. I only had the faintest notion of how to fix the tyre based on things I've seen in TV shows.

I've also got home DIY, electrical, and plumbing things that I've felt like I've been winging (or just getting someone out to help fix) but they look like quite basic issues to solve with the right know-how and practice (the amount of effort I've put into finding the right type of fixing to fix a loose coat hook on a plasterboard wall is Mr Beanesque).

It's just got me wishing there was a mandatory set of classes in high school or something that taught you things like how cars and plumbing and all that other stuff works with practical exercises to drill it home.

I know there's only so much time in the day and all of the other subjects are important, but it just strikes me as odd that (at least when i was in school) it didn't seem like a priority to teach us that kind of stuff.

While I agree this stuff would have been useful to learn and kids should should probably be taught more of this, school isn't the proper place. It should focus on making children educable, which they don't have too much time and resources to do anyway

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Gonzo McFee posted:

A toss up between the media tugging themselves silly with grief, or (what actually happened) tugging themselves with joy that He Is Risen.

Fucker should have gone down in the mud to lie with Maggie. As should all their loathesome ilk.

[e]: I lost a very close, beloved relative at the start of the lockdown (not due to covid), but couldn't be with them in the final moments, so I have strong feelings about the injustice of that fucker walking around happy as larry when he should have loving croaked.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 2, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

it's actually not bad

Seems unlikely. But then I'm a grumpy old fart who tends not to enjoy the standard Eurovision fare of bubblegum pop & power ballads so a Eurovision entry that pleased me is probably not a good idea if you want to win. Also a limit on music to keep songs under 3 minutes is pretty poo poo. 5 minute limit I could almost see & then you're still excluding some of the best music ever record.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

forkboy84 posted:

Seems unlikely. But then I'm a grumpy old fart who tends not to enjoy the standard Eurovision fare of bubblegum pop & power ballads so a Eurovision entry that pleased me is probably not a good idea if you want to win. Also a limit on music to keep songs under 3 minutes is pretty poo poo. 5 minute limit I could almost see & then you're still excluding some of the best music ever record.

No good song has ever been made that lasts over two minutes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

When I was 11, I went to my first 'teenage' party (ie rock music and cheap cider, not jelly & icecream & pass-the-parcel* - jumped a year at school so most of the others were 13+). They put Deep Purple "Sweet Child in Time" on (which is 9 mins approx and was only a year old at that time :corsair: ) - my dad fetched me about 10pm - very wobbly after a considerable quantity of Strongbow - and I was like "they played a song and it was 9 MINS!!!!" because prior to that other than dad's classical music, all the stuff on TOTP (essential viewing back then) was less than 3 minutes.

*do kids still have parties like that, or is it all expensive party bags, hired entertainers or visits to play places with slides & ball pools?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 2, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

These days the drinking is either hidden, or if it is condoned by parents, it'll be for like 15 or 16 year olds, not 11 year olds. Other than that it sounds the same.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smdh if the average timestamp of songs you listened to in your teens wasn't around the six minute mark

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Gonzo McFee posted:

I would have lamented over the death of such and integral part of our country.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If Boris had died from covid I probably would have laughed so hard I had lung damage equivalent to catching covid.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Kin posted:

Correct. GCSE Science involves wiring a plug. There's a bit of talk about budgeting but not much.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Does GCSE science also teach you about drilling into a wall only to have to go to hospital after you drilled through the power main because you forgot to use one of those wall check devices?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nenonen posted:

No good song has ever been made that lasts over two minutes.

Outside of stuff like grind & powerviolence and stuff like the skits on hip-hop records between the actual songs that clock in under 2 minutes. I suppose there's some hardcore like very early Black Flag. I'm going through my music now and yeah, even stuff like Hank Williams from the '50s is all between 2 & 3 minutes long.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I grew up listening to classical music and I still feel on some level that a song isn’t a proper song if it doesn’t have several “movements” or mood and tempo switches to it.

I’d give examples of personal favourites but I have childhood trauma relating to my (lack of) musical ear

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Any song less than 639 years long is for wimps

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Angepain posted:

Any song less than 639 years long is for wimps

I can't help feeling that just playing 2-3 notes every couple of years is just a little bit cheating.

The opera Tosca (dad always used to insist on having that opera on BBC2 on the telly on Xmas Day instead of James Bond) feels like 639 years.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kin posted:

goddamnedtwisto (pbuh) recommended the Reader's Digest DIY Manual, it's very good and has all of that kind of thing.

My nan had a similarly sized 'modern housewife' type thing from the 40s which had fixing gas and electric and metal repair on pans and all the other stuff that had to be done to maintain the fiction of a Single Income Household.

Really I think as more things change and are updated, the best things to teach kids would be how to follow instructions from those kind of resources and the basics of health and safety and first aid. My nan's book would be more hazard than help dealing with a modern consumer unit or gas stove, but knowing where to look for help and when advice is likely to be sensible or terrible is a life long skill.

Kin posted:

This I wouldn't really teach at all other than the civic functions of what taxes and pensions are for. I couldn't imagine a worse thing as a 15 year old than having to learn tax forms, and then by the time I've left school they've changed them all.

General logic and reason for teaching, making the forms and laws plain language for legislating.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To be honest I feel like a life skills class should probably focus on "figuring out how to do things" as a skill in and of itself, because if I want to know how to do something I just type it into youtube and there's someone who has made a helpful video on how to do it, which is how I pulled the light module out of my car to change a bulb and put it back in again, and then got asked to do the same thing for a friend who didn't feel up to typing it into youtube, on the basis that I already knew how.

I feel like a lot of people just assume they can't do things, and it's not limited to younger people either, I see it a tremendous amount in older people who just "can't do [x]" when in reality they're just looking at it and not really trying to learn how to do it, because the option is available to fob it off and/or get someone else to do it for them.

I've been able to do a lot of things just by being willing to have a go. Turns out a lot of stuff is pretty easy if you try.

I have told people many times that I don't actually have any expertise I just have a computer and the ability to watch youtube videos. Doesn't seem to deter them from assuming I can just somehow do things they can't. It's fair enough if it's a physical limitation for them but a lot of people seem to default to a state of self enforced helplessness when faced with relatively simple tasks.

I blame society, I'm sure it's intentional to stop people thinking about what else they could achieve by taking things into their own hands.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 2, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/angryaboutbikes/status/1642558059200364548?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I can't help feeling that just playing 2-3 notes every couple of years is just a little bit cheating.

Lot of pressure not to mess up those notes though, you don't want to have to take it again from the top