Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Eliminate brown coal? Eh...
Eliminate brown people? That's a plan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Climate change denial will be the new culture war bullshit won't it?

New?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Will be?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Won't it?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
https://www.svtplay.se/tunna-bla-linjen

I'm sorry, they called their new copaganda drama what exactly?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mymla posted:

https://www.svtplay.se/tunna-bla-linjen

I'm sorry, they called their new copaganda drama what exactly?

:wtc:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The first episode aired over two years ago, the term "new" takes its second L in the course of 10 posts. Dark days.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kamelĺsĺ

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

from the few phrases I know, finnpol thread doesn't seem too happy with having conseratives and xenophobic fascists in a majority position for some strange reason

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ulvir posted:

from the few phrases I know, finnpol thread doesn't seem too happy with having conseratives and xenophobic fascists in a majority position for some strange reason
I'm surprised every word isn't perkele.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm surprised every word isn't perkele.

That's unkind stereotyping. We have way more curse words like Vittu and Saatana. They Combine really well together like Vittu Perkele Saatana!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

well, electoral politics are always a manifestation of the relative strength of interest blocs. if the weirdo nationalists and the conservatives are the ones with the better organisations and broader legitimacy, they're going to get to govern on a regular basis. the greens seem to have taken the biggest beating, which is not surprising - with covid and then the russian invasion of ukraine, green issues have become much less prominent. combine that with a general momentum towards reaction in the broader culture war, and you've got yourself good conditions for a right-wing electoral success.

increasingly, social-democrat-led coalitions are able to mobilise coalitions which can take power, but are unable to keep all parts of those coalitions mollified. we see something of the sort in norway at the moment as well, where i get the impression that a lot of voters expected a government out of the One-Party period and instead got the left-leaning wing of the euroliberal project. that leads to broad disillusion, which again leads to reduced credibility - and the party or parties in question dropping like rocks in the polls. the right-wingers seem much better at coralling and harmonising powerful interests in the long and medium terms under the present social configuration in the nordics.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
In Finnish Greens case, they drifted Economically from center/center-left position to far-left within last couple of elections. There's currently no parliamentary party that support both social liberalism and economic right. Either you vote for leftist or you vote Conservatives. That shift lost plenty of male voters for them.
Currently they're also sharing same space with Leftist Alliance and to lesser extent, Social Democrats, which all are socially liberal and leftist.
Why vote for lesser evil leftist?

I've been voting Greens for 20+ years, but just couldn't this year. Found a nice candidate from Leftist Alliance instead.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it does bear noting that the attrition, as has happened in this election, tends to target the non-social-democratic partners much more heavily than the social-democratic coalition leaders. the fall of the social-democratic parties themselves is fairly long-term, indicating that they're able to maintain a core constituency of sorts (albeit a shrinking one). the issue is how to translate that into winning elections.

as you note, a big problem here is the increasing gulf between private-sector workers (disproportionately male) and public-sector workers (disproportionately female), where the left has been bleeding private-sector workers profusely for years and years. i have yet to see a serious analysis of what can realistically be done to try to regain some of those voters except for simply renouncing any kind of environmental policy ambitions. there are also deeply structural issues driving this - the more the economy becomes semi-formal gig stuff, the weaker the traditional institutional base of the left (organised labour) becomes, and as pensioners become increasingly numerous their interests - stereotypically home-ownership and social-conservativism - become more relevant.

add to this the increased concentration of wealth among the already very wealthy and the broader left is fighting an uphill battle, which it seems can only really be won by casting as wide a net as mortally possible and disappointing people once they get into office. finally, their communications people tend to be perplexingly bad for some reason - possibly because very good communications people typically follow the money, which again is concentrated on the right.

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 3, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
IMO people voted for the parties they would get them lower car tax and fuel taxes. I think those two are prime reasons for the SannF rise as well as Saml.

An SDP that can't do that and throw in some red boiler plate arguments as to why they did it, can't expect to win. Populism is what wins votes. They needed to do something radical that undermined peoples idea of SDP and the left as parties that will make everything more expensive for them. And the basic finns have campaigned on lower taxes for fuel and cars before but never managed to get it through. How embarassing would it be if Sanna did it before them.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/njsilvadyne/status/1642637834988158976

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

increasingly, social-democrat-led coalitions are able to mobilise coalitions which can take power, but are unable to keep all parts of those coalitions mollified. we see something of the sort in norway at the moment as well, where i get the impression that a lot of voters expected a government out of the One-Party period and instead got the left-leaning wing of the euroliberal project. that leads to broad disillusion, which again leads to reduced credibility - and the party or parties in question dropping like rocks in the polls. the right-wingers seem much better at coralling and harmonising powerful interests in the long and medium terms under the present social configuration in the nordics.

Mostly I think we expected at least some level of competency. Instead we got "we're monitoring the situation closely" and nothing being done.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

a shitpost is not allowed to be this true :negative:

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

So the Fins kicked out their heroic girl president? I thought that she was really cool.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

So the Fins kicked out their heroic girl president? I thought that she was really cool.

Sauli is, well, not bad, but I don't think he identifies as a girl

And the person you are thinking of, Sanna of the leather jacket,

might not be out yet, since there is still a possibility of returning to "sinipuna", i.e. a coalition of the social democrats and Cock!

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I am so confused.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

I am so confused.

Finland ("fins" as you put it) elected our parliament yesterday. The Cock, which I suppose are the Ulf of "the fins", took the lead position. The "True Fins", as you might put it, came in second, they're a reactionary racist party and they might not play nice with the Cock. SDP, the social democrats, came in third, and it is possible they would go into a coalition government with the Cock, but this would be shameful to the Cock, so it's iffy. But the Cock also might not want to play with the reactionary populist "True Fins", because that too would entail embarrassment, so the lady you like (Sanna Marin, who was never president, but our prime minister) might have a shot at being in the government after all.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Good for her, then.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

His Divine Shadow posted:

IMO people voted for the parties they would get them lower car tax and fuel taxes. I think those two are prime reasons for the SannF rise as well as Saml.

An SDP that can't do that and throw in some red boiler plate arguments as to why they did it, can't expect to win. Populism is what wins votes. They needed to do something radical that undermined peoples idea of SDP and the left as parties that will make everything more expensive for them. And the basic finns have campaigned on lower taxes for fuel and cars before but never managed to get it through. How embarassing would it be if Sanna did it before them.

right, lower car and fuel taxes are important interests to a lot of people, and when politics has been narrowed to this sort of issue the parties willing to embrace personal car use will tend to do well among people who use their cars a lot (i.e. disproportionately less-urban males working in the private sector). the problem is that these voters do not see their interests as meaningfully represented by any movement (the labour movement has traditionally had this role in scandinavia), and absent this the most basic and primal kind of personal interests will tend to weigh very heavily. often, these interests will be clearly at odds with a more general social interest. there is no clear way of reconciling this, because there's no structure left which can realistically do that.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

Good for her, then.

She'd still be playing second fiddle to the Cock, and I'm not sure that's good for anyone. But we'll see.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

V. Illych L. posted:

right, lower car and fuel taxes are important interests to a lot of people, and when politics has been narrowed to this sort of issue the parties willing to embrace personal car use will tend to do well among people who use their cars a lot (i.e. disproportionately less-urban males working in the private sector). the problem is that these voters do not see their interests as meaningfully represented by any movement (the labour movement has traditionally had this role in scandinavia), and absent this the most basic and primal kind of personal interests will tend to weigh very heavily. often, these interests will be clearly at odds with a more general social interest. there is no clear way of reconciling this, because there's no structure left which can realistically do that.

It's like globalization blew a hole in society that can't be fixed.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

Good for her, then.

I have some sad news for you, the lady you thought was the Finnish president is abdicating her role as the head of the Social Democratic party.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Apparently, Sweden broke some kind of record in deporting Brits after Brexit. Deporting almost as many as the rest of the EU combined.

How did this happen?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Gotta deport someone

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Feliday Melody posted:

Apparently, Sweden broke some kind of record in deporting Brits after Brexit. Deporting almost as many as the rest of the EU combined.

How did this happen?

They overstayed their welcome? :shrug:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Feliday Melody posted:

How did this happen?

Probably a combination of migrationsverket not being 100% racism but also some classic bureaucracy, well maintained registers of who officially lives in Sweden and Sweden being fairly good to live in as an English speaker.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Feliday Melody posted:

How did this happen?

....based?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BonHair posted:

migrationsverket not being 100% racism

That's a good one.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

That's a good one.

You guys are still way behind Denmark in racism. You might be catching up, but you're far from 100%

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Don't think you can say that Migrationsverket is 100% racist until they at the very least attempt to deport people that were convinced of murder.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
And skip the queue on pensioners with Alzheimer’s and literal children being deported? Tsk tsk tsk

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've known a couple of people who worked at Migrationsverket over the years, and they were both very open-border style lefties. Seemed quite stressful

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

teen witch posted:

And skip the queue on pensioners with Alzheimer’s and literal children being deported? Tsk tsk tsk

Apparently all you need to do to not get deported is to shank someone.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://omni.se/fritt-fram-att-avlyssna-icke-brottsmisstankta-i-host/a/O8mr1q

Jack Trades posted:

Choo chooo! All aboard the fascism train!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BonHair posted:

You guys

The gently caress did you just say to me? :mad: