Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So... chaos dwarves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Arrath posted:

Uh didn't the Soviets already unearth that?

And nuke it back to the depths?

No, they just opened a portal to hell. Curiously it just led straight to this timeline, once you got past the fiery death 🤔

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yes, let's make this war more terrifying by summoning the Dwarves.

Better them than Graboids, I say.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

So... chaos dwarves?

Well there is a hat based hierarchy to the Russian Orthodox Church.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

BobHoward posted:

That's a lot of rust on the rifling. It's obviously been abandoned in the elements, but I'm a bit surprised there's not enough of a coating or hard chromed layer to delay rusting out so bad at least a little bit.

Metal exposed to extreme heat and stresses oxidizes incredibly fast. A catastrophic explosion like that opens up the metal fibers so to speak, allowing oxidization to happen even faster.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Well there is a hat based hierarchy to the Russian Orthodox Church.

You're kidding. Thats amazing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Tunnel warfare with the Russians is the setting for the Germline books. I've only read the first one, but it was some excellent at showing how terrible the life of a grunt in dystopian cyberpunk times would be.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Pious Russian orthodox clergyman or vicious servant of Hashut? Who amongst us could really tell.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Im fairly certain the brits dug too deep and unleashed a dragon, which we are only now free from thanks due to a heroic sacrifice from Matthew McConaughey. Not sure theres any dragons left, especially in Ukrainian tunnels.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A.o.D. posted:

You don't use C4, you use thermite, and neither one of those things looks like that.

Ah yes I'm sure the mobiks have loads of thermite to hand

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Pious Russian orthodox clergyman or vicious servant of Hashut? Who amongst us could really tell.

That venn diagram is shaped like Patriarch Kyrill's shield in the picture.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tenchrono posted:

Im fairly certain the brits dug too deep and unleashed a dragon, which we are only now free from thanks due to a heroic sacrifice from Matthew McConaughey. Not sure theres any dragons left, especially in Ukrainian tunnels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zmei_(Russian)

That said I think Wagner are the guys tunnel delving right now, so serves 'em right. Let the zmei into NAFO.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tenchrono posted:

if the dragons had been loosed in ukraine they would be dead within six weeks

at this point i'm debating calling for ukraine to be nerfed

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

bulletsponge13 posted:

I haven't a loving idea, but I'm going to throw out a guess that a charge detonated either way too early, or way too late in the barrel.

Could be plain old metal fatigue/poor metallurgy/excessive wear, too, I guess, but I be little gun toucher, not big gun toucher.

Hey isn't that the gun from your story about "not getting to blow up a bridge"?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Ah yes I'm sure the mobiks have loads of thermite to hand

The mobiks usually aren't manning the artillery.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

A.o.D. posted:

The mobiks usually aren't manning the artillery.

They are. They are trained for artillery for 3 months, then they are sent directly into the trenches as infantry. Such is life.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Which, on second thought means you're technically right. They aren't manning the artillery. They're probably pulling out some doctors or cooks for that, without the training

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

SerthVarnee posted:

Hey isn't that the gun from your story about "not getting to blow up a bridge"?

I know you meant this in jest, but I am pretty sure it is the same model. Lmao

E- I stumbled onto a video of this. I think it's the larger brother of mine.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 2, 2023

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

I haven't a loving idea, but I'm going to throw out a guess that a charge detonated either way too early, or way too late in the barrel.

Could be plain old metal fatigue/poor metallurgy/excessive wear, too, I guess, but I be little gun toucher, not big gun toucher.

What about a barrel obstruction of some kind? Rifle barrels can look like that if they're fired when something is blocking the muzzle, like a laser borescope.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's just barrel fatigue. It's the simplest and most likely answer. It's already known that Russian/Soviet doctrine is artillery first, last and always, and that their ability to service their equipment isn't anywhere near the demand rate for their equipment. This is what happens to tube artillery if you use it past its Best By date.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Would you say the assault was spoilt

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
if they want this to stop happening the Russian army should make like a banana and split.

edit: vvv Ain't he a stinker?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 2, 2023

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

A.o.D. posted:

It's just barrel fatigue. It's the simplest and most likely answer. It's already known that Russian/Soviet doctrine is artillery first, last and always, and that their ability to service their equipment isn't anywhere near the demand rate for their equipment. This is what happens to tube artillery if you use it past its Best By date.

The simplest explanation is that a rabbit obstructed the barrel, and a moblik got soot on his face.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Blistex posted:

The simplest explanation is that a rabbit obstructed the barrel, and a moblik got soot on his face.

"It's Mobik Season so shoot me now!!!"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Itchy_Grundle posted:

"It's Mobik Season so shoot me now!!!"

"BUK season!"

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1642530247756095488

As a local "military expert" would say

quote:

Ackshually, that's genious! Taking mundane parts and making a functional weapon out of it

No, you loving idiot. It would be ok, if it didn't cost 100x of what you paid for the parts and production time, because of some ridiculous rear end corruption.

That "expert" said that in a german interview about the Orlan drones.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

A.o.D. posted:

if they want this to stop happening the Russian army should make like a banana and split.

edit: vvv Ain't he a stinker?

They should make like a baby and head out.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You're kidding. Thats amazing.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1642547833952772099

You can see the Javelin (?) hitting

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I know we sometimes talk about the music choices for these videos, but Jesus Christ…

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

The random debris bouncing on the turret roof is kinda surreal.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The crew survived amazing.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Herman Merman posted:

Why do people keep doing this

Doing what, exactly? Because it looked a lot like you were doing this:

RoyKeen posted:

Doing what? Editing posts out of context?

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Finnish YLE, paraphrasing Reuters, is reporting that Russian milblogger Vladlen Tatarsky (Maxim Fomin) was killed by an explosion in a cafe in St. Petersburg where he was giving a speech. I'm not familiar with the milbloggers, is this guy notable enough in any way to warrant being blown up, or could this just be a conincidental accident?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

fartknocker posted:

I know we sometimes talk about the music choices for these videos, but Jesus Christ…

I was going to say this music is significantly better than the 2-3 garbage "hard tekno" or "faux-viking" or whatever songs they always put over this poo poo.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

The crew survived amazing.

Dark lol

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

fartknocker posted:

Its amazing. :wtc: indeed

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Music you say? Trench Bobr music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MykAE3JYBM

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PCg-ba9tRI

Perun made a thing talking about the air war in Ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU