Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

It's this. Turns out, when police aren't intentionally escalating situations, the crime rate drops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdpG92dsx1A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

SlimGoodbody posted:

Wow, drat. The potato is the cornerstone of the American treat regime. If we somehow botch our supply of corn syrup, all bets are off in this country.

we're gonna have to update the old joke

how many potatoesmuch corn does it take to end the american empire? none

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, it turns out police cause a lot of crime. A few weeks ago, a guy in our apartment complex called the suicide hotline, and they, in turn, called the police. The police slammed through his door and dragged him outside in almost freezing weather without a shirt, slammed him to the ground, and cuffed him. They then made fun of him for 30 minutes until an ambulance arrived.

They taught the man to eat a bullet instead of calling the suicide hotline again.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Simplot and ore-ida also need to increase their profits so they're just passing that onto the customer

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Griz posted:

something is fucky with supply chain, walmart had packs of hash brown patties just like the mcdonalds ones for like $3.29 for 10 but now those have been out of stock for months. before that they were out of tater tots for months but now those are back and the patties are gone. there's always shitloads of frozen fries though.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Wow, drat. The potato is the cornerstone of the American treat regime. If we somehow botch our supply of corn syrup, all bets are off in this country.

Sounds like this meme is safe then (for now):

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
here's a broad existential questions but what uh, what are we supposed to do?

like what am i as an adult supposed to be trying to do in this system? kids are out of the question, i likely won't ever be able to afford a house or at least not until im nearing 45/50. i'm constantly trying to pull myself out of a debt spiral only for the economy to poo poo its pants the second it looks like i might get on top of things. the political system is rapidly crumbling and we're a heartbeat away from throwing domestic undesirables into the same camps we throw foreign undesirables. i personally know about a half dozen people who've been shot during various mass shootings so that continues to be a large and ever increasing specter over day to day social gatherings. oh and the entire ecosystem is going to tip into a series of cascading failures in the next decade or so. im just completely at a loss for how to proceed anymore.

am i just supposed to run out the clock here?

it was easier to pretend i could eke out a few good years before the inflation spiral and the vilification of everyone who's not cis, but i both don't want to ignore everything and am also utterly powerless to stop it. being at the blm protests really drove that second part home. i wish i could afford enough weed to not have to think about this poo poo

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Relentlessboredomm posted:

like what am i as an adult supposed to be trying to do in this system? kids are out of the question, i likely won't ever be able to afford a house or at least not until im nearing 45/50. i'm constantly trying to pull myself out of a debt spiral only for the economy to poo poo its pants the second it looks like i might get on top of things. the political system is rapidly crumbling and we're a heartbeat away from throwing domestic undesirables into the same camps we throw foreign undesirables. i personally know about a half dozen people who've been shot during various mass shootings so that continues to be a large and ever increasing specter over day to day social gatherings. oh and the entire ecosystem is going to tip into a series of cascading failures in the next decade or so. im just completely at a loss for how to proceed anymore.

it was easier to pretend i could eke out a few good years before the inflation spiral and the vilification of everyone who's not cis, but i both don't want to ignore everything and am also utterly powerless to stop it. being at the blm protests really drove that second part home. i wish i could afford enough weed to not have to think about this poo poo

post through it

focus on anything you can control, do poo poo that makes you happy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

look, you only live once on this dead gay planet. one day each and everyone of us, no matter how rich, will wink out of existence and well, that's that.

have fun, smoke weed, play elden ring, shitpost with your bros, i dunno. maybe i'm sociopathic but i dont find 'doomscrolling' or whatever to affect me, im just here to have fun and lol at how stupid everything is. probably one day i'll be homeless and die of preventable infection as i shoot up hyper-fentanyl v4.1, but that's not today.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
eat a cheeseburger while we got em

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

look, you only live once on this dead gay planet. one day each and everyone of us, no matter how rich, will wink out of existence and well, that's that.

have fun, smoke weed, play elden ring, shitpost with your bros, i dunno. maybe i'm sociopathic but i dont find 'doomscrolling' or whatever to affect me, im just here to have fun and lol at how stupid everything is. probably one day i'll be homeless and die of preventable infection as i shoot up hyper-fentanyl v4.1, but that's not today.

Yep

Doomscrolling is just another way to pass the time. Don't do it if it legitimately fucks you up. People being hyper optimistic and intentionally ignoring bad news is a super bad thing that's absolutely, unquestionably contributing to everything that's wrong with the world but, like, you can't personally do anything about that so you're not really part of the problem if you choose to join them.

Ultimately just gotta find some joy and meaning somewhere. Don't waste your life because none of this poo poo really matters and you're gonna die eventually.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

realtalk join a leftist org and pry off some of the alienation of living in terminal capitalism. here that's the local sra chapter. your state has something goin on, even in the deep south. having a community of people who at least sometimes engage with reality is a big improvement. you can't undo the anthropocene but you can make things less lovely locally.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Talk to your neighbors, spend time goofing off with friends & family, stock up on non-perishables, get a hobby that results in things you can give away as gifts, join a club that meets at least once a month, find the small ways to push back against the status quo, find or develop some form of faith that can give you hope & mitigate the fear of death, log off and touch some grass.

The whole system as is alienates us from our world, our selves and each other & encourages us to seek escape. If you can even occasionally push through and make genuine connections with other humans and find some sort of rock of faith or principle to stand on and push back against the world, you can make some kind of difference. At least that's what I think.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

my answer has always been : be for others.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mustached Demon posted:

focus on anything you can control, do poo poo that makes you happy

It's this. Just like do poo poo that makes you happy * as long as it isn't like throwing garbage directly onto the side of the highway or burning down forests like some kind of evil villain.

I used to be like insanely worried, depressed, frustrated all the time because I had that very individual mindset that every time there was a set back on poo poo it was like personally my fault and I was going insane.

now I just like, idk try to make less trash where I can. I try to remove invasive plants outside when I see them because I like gardening. I like taking care of the eco system around me. I kind of think of every time I repair something I own to make it last longer as my own little win etc. I try to trade driving trips with walking / public transpo where its possible but I dont kill myself trying to do it. Not just because of the whole emissions poo poo but also because walking is healthy. its good for me. It will help me live longer. I paint public murals because it brings me joy and gives me an opportunity to chat with my neighbors to build more community. Now when like bad news comes I mostly just let it wash over me. I know there's nothing I did to personally cause it because its the overall system causing it.

Find balance of not being an rear end in a top hat but not driving yourself insane.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

union stuff has been the most fulfilling thing for me recently.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shear Modulus posted:

union stuff has been the most fulfilling thing for me recently.

:same:

I’m moving in a year so I won’t get to take part in the new contract fights or do anything cool like strike, but I can help build a foundation because I don’t care if they retaliate. It helps I work for the state and they don’t really care if I recruit people. They were never gonna promote me or train me anyway so lol

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/heimbergecon/status/1641664640156303360

the possessors are dispossessing the people again

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

SlimGoodbody posted:

it's kind of cool thinking of the native crops of the soil joining forces to overthrow the land's abusers with rampant diabetes

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

anime was right posted:

eat a cheeseburger while we got em

Unironically this, was at the grocery store yesterday and there were maybe 10 1lb packages of beef in the cooler at a minimum of $6.50/lb. There used to be piles of them. I don't know if this is a supply problem or them putting the number out they think they're going to sell at that price, but it doesn't really matter. It's over.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gorson posted:

Unironically this, was at the grocery store yesterday and there were maybe 10 1lb packages of beef in the cooler at a minimum of $6.50/lb. There used to be piles of them. I don't know if this is a supply problem or them putting the number out they think they're going to sell at that price, but it doesn't really matter. It's over.

A thing I'm watching with nervous curiosity is what happens once potatoes, beef, etc become expensive enough that even the fast food mega franchises which rely on them can no longer offer them at a price that feels worth it to people. What happens to these sectors when even 20% of their user base decides it's not in the budget to spend $10 on a mediocre burger and fries "value" meal whose primary initial draw was that it was supposed to be negligibly cheap?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SlimGoodbody posted:

A thing I'm watching with nervous curiosity is what happens once potatoes, beef, etc become expensive enough that even the fast food mega franchises which rely on them can no longer offer them at a price that feels worth it to people. What happens to these sectors when even 20% of their user base decides it's not in the budget to spend $10 on a mediocre burger and fries "value" meal whose primary initial draw was that it was supposed to be negligibly cheap?

People will purchase their big mac & fries with a large coke using buy now pay later in 4 easy installments of just 4.99

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

SlimGoodbody posted:

This blew my mind the other day because I hadn't been to a fast food place in at least 5 years, but now "large" fries that cost $4 are basically mid-2000s small fries

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

time to trade the dollar for foreign goods and services. do NOT recirculate any American money you make back into America or you're very stupid

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Mustached Demon posted:

Simplot and ore-ida also need to increase their profits so they're just passing that onto the customer
i learned about JR simplot years ago in boise. apparently he/that company invented the industrial process of flash freezing cut potatoes, after being a defense contractor providing dehydrated food in WWII. his name is all over downtown boise, including on some weird educational/entertainment venue downtown surrounded by old combines and tractors.

still a privately owned company

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i learned about JR simplot years ago in boise. apparently he/that company invented the industrial process of flash freezing cut potatoes, after being a defense contractor providing dehydrated food in WWII. his name is all over downtown boise, including on some weird educational/entertainment venue downtown surrounded by old combines and tractors.

still a privately owned company

Top 100 of privately held companies iirc, all because they got that government cash

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

..Is that true? I remember looking up the population of Ukraine and it went up right until the year of the collapse? Don't remember if live expectancy was dropping under Gorbachev.

Flamingofarts
Jul 9, 2022

super sweet best pal posted:

The police will be defunded when some politician deems it more economical to replace them with a security firm they're coincidentally on the executive board of.

quiet part out loud.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This blew my mind the other day because I hadn't been to a fast food place in at least 5 years, but now "large" fries that cost $4 are basically mid-2000s small fries

good

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
while we're on fries anyone got a good potato wedge or fried potato recipe. trying to up my game but its been inconsistent going

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SlimGoodbody posted:

they lower the % of food and raise the % of non food fillers

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

interesting that the margin compression goons were predicting hasn't happened yet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

which goons predicted that shrike

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Zodium posted:

which goons predicted that shrike

Karl Marx. He failed to realize they would just lower taxes to raise profits

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Marx said it has a tendency to fall, which is exactly what that graph shows. We literally devote the entirety of our society to making that number go up and stay up but it keeps falling back down.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's especially striking that those are numbers for non financial businesses

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

what if we crunch the numbers without the Bad People
https://twitter.com/nsjersey/status/1642165562464673794

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

what if we crunch the numbers without the Bad People
https://twitter.com/nsjersey/status/1642165562464673794

what’s up with nevada, and those other little red islands in the north west

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Very interesting much of the northern plains and inland PNW does so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

shrike82 posted:

it's especially striking that those are numbers for non financial businesses

Why is that striking?