Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ha ha ha, a sidequest just unlocked a music box. Now every tavern in the game has the option to change the background music. This game. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ophilia < Temenos
Cyrus < Osvald
Tressa < Partitio
Olberic < Hikari
Primrose > Agnea
Alfyn < Castti
Therion < Throne
H'aanit < Ochette

Done

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I hope they bring octopath 1 over to ps so I can play it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The cross-party side chapters have been real nice so far. Just done Part 1 of Throne and Temenos' treasure hunt and Partito and Oswald going shopping for telescope parts. They do a decent little job of filling in the gaps and giving some better inference these eight randos are actually spending time together.

Mega64 posted:

Yeah but his blade isn't unbending.

Olberic was my main hitter in Octopath 1, and goddamn was it satisfying to hear him declare "MY BLADE IS UNBENDING :byodood:" after you'd lined up stacked buffs and Broken a boss ready to lay down pain while the second-chapter boss theme went hard as gently caress. :rock:.

The Black Stones posted:

Ophilia < Temenos
Cyrus < Osvald
Tressa < Partitio
Olberic < Hikari
Primrose > Agnea
Alfyn < Castti
Therion < Throne
H'aanit < Ochette

Done

Mostly agree, though I kinda liked H'aanit better of the two just for the old-timey speak giving her some gravitas and something unique to set her apart from the others, compared to "Cute Anime Catgirl" that is Ochette.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ochette howling points her to being a wolf, I think.

Also no-one can convince me Ochette isn't a traveling chef in disguise. :colbert:

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Just played through Ochette and Cassti's first chapters. This game seems like it totally rules. It seems really confident in the sort of tone it's going for, with the presentation really knocking it out of the park on all levels.

Cassti's Theme is one of the nicest video game tracks I've heard in a long time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wait until you hear Partitio’s

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Libluini posted:

Also no-one can convince me Ochette isn't a traveling chef in disguise. :colbert:

I was mainly thinking of the general character archetype, but yeah you're right there I think.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 2, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ApplesandOranges posted:

He doesn't wipe overheal, so a Sealticge's Prayer of Plenty from Temenos will give you a hp buffer.

It's still too much, Doom just instakilling someone and the buff wipe are just too brutal. I lasted for *ages* but made basically no progress on the shield because every turn was just a recovery turn. That and there's no documentation on Galdera's weaknesses in the final phase!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Agnea is extremely endearing to me, bit that's probably because she's got the same VA as Miwako from 13 Sentinels who is the best girl

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Yeah but his blade isn't unbending.

Casti's "No mercy, ONLY PAIN" is a good replacement though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hikari had to be a samurai archetype because nobody would take him seriously if he didn't pack a blade that was bendy by design.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I did it!

Superboss spoilerish:

The trick was managing to scuff my way through Phase 1 without Ochette or Castii and then taking the absolute bullshit that is those two characters into Phase 2. The big thing was that Dohter's Throne was enough to fuel the team without needing the raw power of Castii.

And then I had Ochette for the final phase and being able to mass debuff the boss was the big difference between attacks that would oneshot me and barely tickle. (Also being able to break the boss in two actions because provoke beasts is that loving crazy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Sometimes Food posted:

Casti's "No mercy, ONLY PAIN" is a good replacement though.

Her EX Skill of grinding an axe along the ground while chasing down her target and cleaving a motherfucker is real good.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Rolled credits.

An absolutely outstanding game that was engaging from start to finish.

It improved on the first in basically every way, with more interesting character stories coming together for a more coherent climax and an ending that left a tear in my eye for how satisfying it was.

That I'd played the first enhanced them, because I was always on the lookout for tidbits that I could piece together and it was amazing to see how the game ended up doing that. The final chapter genuinely had moments where I got out of my seat in surprise, even after I'd spent time watching for hints.

Square and this team has just been batting it out the park recently and honest to god it is going to be one hell of a year if any game tops this for me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Natural 20 posted:

I did it!

Superboss spoilerish:

The trick was managing to scuff my way through Phase 1 without Ochette or Castii and then taking the absolute bullshit that is those two characters into Phase 2. The big thing was that Dohter's Throne was enough to fuel the team without needing the raw power of Castii.

And then I had Ochette for the final phase and being able to mass debuff the boss was the big difference between attacks that would oneshot me and barely tickle. (Also being able to break the boss in two actions because provoke beasts is that loving crazy

I was gonna say that anyone could universally break the boss too by using Beastling from Hired Help.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Make sure Throne's in your party when you do Ochette's Chapter 2, or at least the Catatacta path. She failed at her greatest heist despite using all her thieving skills; Trying to touch that fluffy tail. :allears:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I was gonna say that anyone could universally break the boss too by using Beastling from Hired Help.

Hired Help just wasn't fast enough. I had two merchants in my original team and the problem was that mass buff cleanse just got the team so far behind that I couldn't afford for my merchants to go in. (A product of using Throne as my battery rather than Castii). As soon as I got through P1 without using Castii I suddenly had huge amounts of BP generation that was completely unconditional on buffs, so debuff wipe was nowhere near as devastating.

Also Ochette has a two hit dagger attack on one of her monsters, so in one action could break through 12 points of shields

I really didn't think I'd like Ochette when I first saw the character but I absolutely adore her. It's the first time I feel like a game has portrayed a character from a part of the world with a less traditional conception of civilisation without feeling like they were resorting to poor stereotypes.

Also "Awoo, ha ha!"

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Libluini posted:

I keep thinking Werewolves of London when she awooos.

Awoooo
Ochette’s a werewelof
Awooo

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Make sure Throne's in your party when you do Ochette's Chapter 2, or at least the Catatacta path. She failed at her greatest heist despite using all her thieving skills; Trying to touch that fluffy tail. :allears:

You can see any banter you missed from a chapter through your journal, just highlight the character you wanna use and there will be a button prompt at the bottom.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FireWorksWell posted:

You can see any banter you missed from a chapter through your journal, just highlight the character you wanna use and there will be a button prompt at the bottom.

Oooh, cheers!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Natural 20 posted:

I really didn't think I'd like Ochette when I first saw the character but I absolutely adore her. It's the first time I feel like a game has portrayed a character from a part of the world with a less traditional conception of civilisation without feeling like they were resorting to poor stereotypes.

Also "Awoo, ha ha!"

100% agree. This sums up my feelings about Ochette perfectly. She rules

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hm, perhaps taking a detour to unlock Armsmaster while my characters are all in the 20s level-wise was silly, but on the other hand, it's pretty fun to have somewhat early.

I probably won't use it much on Hikari yet because I already have to nerf him a bit so he doesn't solo every boss, but then again the last boss I fought actually kind of put up a fight so maybe it won't be too long before I can start actually using these cool weapons I've been mugging people for acquiring through completely legitimate and morally upstanding means.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

Hm, perhaps taking a detour to unlock Armsmaster while my characters are all in the 20s level-wise was silly, but on the other hand, it's pretty fun to have somewhat early.

I probably won't use it much on Hikari yet because I already have to nerf him a bit so he doesn't solo every boss, but then again the last boss I fought actually kind of put up a fight so maybe it won't be too long before I can start actually using these cool weapons I've been mugging people for acquiring through completely legitimate and morally upstanding means.

Hikari's a decent Armsmaster but it's actually a bit redundant on him since he has his Learned Skills to cover weapon types and damage. Osvald/Castti/Agnea are eventual solid options because it allows them to equip more +elemental weapons when you get them (Castti can use it for Concoct).

Of those three, Agnea can already hit the three weapons she needs for max wind damage (for Windy Refrain) by going into Merchant (the +wind weapons are dagger, bow and polearm). So for endagme stuff Osvald is probably the best user of it..

That said, any physical character can still do big damage with it once you get the axe for the job, since it hits ridiculously hard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hikari's a decent Armsmaster but it's actually a bit redundant on him since he has his Learned Skills to cover weapon types and damage. Osvald/Castti/Agnea are eventual solid options because it allows them to equip more +elemental weapons when you get them (Castti can use it for Concoct).

Of those three, Agnea can already hit the three weapons she needs for max wind damage (for Windy Refrain) by going into Merchant (the +wind weapons are dagger, bow and polearm). So for endagme stuff Osvald is probably the best user of it..

That said, any physical character can still do big damage with it once you get the axe for the job, since it hits ridiculously hard.

Yeah, I had a feeling Armsmaster Hikari is kind of a similar situation to Sorcerer Cyrus in Octopath 1: he can do great things with it, probably use it better than anyone else can, but not by a huge amount and he's already amazing without it.

I know it's still popular on him because he can reach really high heights with it (and also because he wants a staff-wielding class if nothing else) but I also really like the Osvald Armsmaster build I've heard about with triple-boosting fire or ice damage.

Still with something like Armsmaster where the skills don't cost JP to unlock, no reason not to switch it around to a bunch of people and just play around with it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Eh like Armsmaster Hikari doesn't feel like a good use for him. He can already hit for over 100k with his second divine and if you really optimise him he can hit for 400k with learned skills

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I've been making my way through the game pretty slowly (still working on finishing Chapter 2 for a few more characters) but the difficulty has been pretty low so far. maybe that's just the nature of this kind of open-ended design, though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Eh like Armsmaster Hikari doesn't feel like a good use for him. He can already hit for over 100k with his second divine and if you really optimise him he can hit for 400k with learned skills

I wish I could remember what it was but I did see what sounded like a good argument for Armsmaster Hikari, like he can go above and beyond with it in a way others can't or something, but I can't remember the actual argument so I'm not going to try to reverse engineer it myself lol

Realistically it feels like all he needs is staff access, Limb from Limb, and Alpione's Amulet and he's at near 100% power already. Plus he looks pretty stylish as a Scholar

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I've been making my way through the game pretty slowly (still working on finishing Chapter 2 for a few more characters) but the difficulty has been pretty low so far. maybe that's just the nature of this kind of open-ended design, though

I've just started doing chapter 3s and the bosses there have put up more of a fight, but I have had to intentionally hold back a bit to preserve some level of fun challenge. I started with Hikari so he's naturally becoming overleveled, and he's so goddamn strong that an overleveled Hikari is a hell of a thing. That and I went on a mugging spree with Osvald so I have a ton of really good equipment to go around, too.

So I've had Hikari playing support as a Merchant or Dancer so he doesn't just solo everything, and I've been intentionally using crappier gear on him too, though I think I can start taking the weights off soon.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 3, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The difficulty curve is such that normies can beat the game without going insane. I think bosses should've had way more health, but you can kinda work your way around that by simply not using the best available weapons (and not using Deal More Damage, either).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Ochette rules because she is a cute wolfgirl but she is a cute wolfgirl with fantastic voice acting when she screams I'M STARVING at the top of her lungs before ripping someone's jugular out

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

100% agree. This sums up my feelings about Ochette perfectly. She rules

I like how she does the Naruto run XD

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SKULL.GIF posted:

The difficulty curve is such that normies can beat the game without going insane. I think bosses should've had way more health, but you can kinda work your way around that by simply not using the best available weapons (and not using Deal More Damage, either).

If you actually use items the game is like, trivial lol. You get so many soulstones and SP restoring items, it's like the opposite of every other jrpg where you have to constantly hold back

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I got a lot of practice intentionally holding back when I did a big chain of NG+ cycles in SaGa Frontier Remastered a couple years back, so I'm just applying that here :v: Avoiding using things like Deal More Damage until the very late game, intentionally not using the high-level gear that I've managed to get early until I'm closer to the "right" level, etc

Normally I prefer when I can go all out and still be challenged but there are enough toys to play with that I don't feel like I'm limiting my own fun by limiting my own power here, and gear is such a big component of your power that I can just equip lovely gear and then go all-out when I'm actually in battle. Plus I'm sure the postgame superboss will give me plenty of the "holding nothing back and still getting my rear end kicked" feeling.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

I wish I could remember what it was but I did see what sounded like a good argument for Armsmaster Hikari, like he can go above and beyond with it in a way others can't or something, but I can't remember the actual argument so I'm not going to try to reverse engineer it myself lol

Realistically it feels like all he needs is staff access, Limb from Limb, and Alpione's Amulet and he's at near 100% power already. Plus he looks pretty stylish as a Scholar

I like Merchant on Hikari because Rest and Sidestep makes Challenge fairly comfy. But there's good arguments for other subjobs too; Hunter lets him hit four weapon types, Arcanist lets him spread his self-buffs, Cleric lets him fall back on healing or use its skill to help recover SP.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is there a way to see banters you missed?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is there a way to see banters you missed?

Yep! In the journal, pick the character whose banter you want to see and you should see a prompt in the lower right

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Harrow posted:

Honestly I've had Hikari as Armsmaster basically the entire game. I've considered switching it up because I don't use half the weapons now but not sure who else to give it to unless I want to pump Osvald's elemental damage through the roof, which I may.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I put it on Castii so she could help with DPS on turns where I was flush on BP.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Regalingualius posted:

Wait until you hear Partitio’s

Partitio's theme is awesome lmao

But I feel like I need to shout out this ridiculously good track that plays earlier in his chapter 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3dIKHBbXSw

The music in this game is something else. It's like the game devs pulling out their limit break to hard sell any scene they want on you. I've noticed that there is a lot of intention to how cutscenes are directed to make full dramatic use out of the outstanding music in this game. Like how Partitio's theme starts when he gets the hat, or how a subtle camera swoop introduces Castti's theme. It's all great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
stupid question, but can you/how do you select which outfit your characters wear when you equip a second job