Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
My trip report for Wharfedale Evo 4.2:
  • these are loving hugeass bookshelf speakers
  • they got hooked up at seller's place to megabuck electronic gear, which IMO didn't mattered
  • a wee bit of sibilance in the most sibilant content i have, which is perfectly fine IMO
  • the bass in Carpenters' Solitaire was mindblowingly good to my surprise
  • very smooth and airy presentation yet also non-fatiguing, great instrument separation and decent soundstage and off-axis

i got them home at the end for $600, lol
i played around a bit and i already find so much better than my Kali LP-6 v2s in my acoustically crappy living room

Palladium fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Anyone have a recommendation as to where I can get a marantz 2270 recapped in the sf Bay Area? I took it to champlifier awhile back but the guy sat on it for 5 months and wanted $3k to do the work.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Trying out a class D(Peachtree Nova 300) for the first time ever and I think I might be happy with my system for a few years now:

Has about 3 times the power of the A-S801 it's replacing and the lintons seem to really eat it up. It's hooked up to my PC via USB-B, a wiim mini via toslink for Spotify from my wife's phone and the phono stage absolutely blows the one in the Yamaha out of the water. I feel like I'm getting the most out of my turntable/cartridge now.

I have a topping es30ii but Im just using the built in dac in the Peachtree for simplicity. Despite what ASR might say, I can't hear any difference.

Its also comparatively tiny and light and fits in pretty well in the stereo bookshelf:

I was looking at NAD M10, Cambridge audio Evo 150 but I'm not a huge fan of screens on audio gear and the Peachtree has a lot more power than both. If I ever want to try room correction it has a loop in/out.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Sigmund Fraud posted:

I am looking to add a subwoofer to my stereo. My current speakers are a pair of old Wharfedale 9.2 bookshelf speakers. They have 6.5" drivers and go down to ~55 Hz at -3 dB. Now the problem is that I live small so size is a factor. I don't need a powerful subwoofer because I live in an apartment and don't want to annoy my neighbours. I mostly listen to music so I don't think I need a huge subwoofer that can go down below the audible frequencies? Can I get away with an 8" sub?

Also, does anyone here have experience with the Wharfedale Evo 4.2 speakers? I listened to them briefly and and were impressed. Their form factor is similar to my current speakers (which I like). Are big bookshelf speakers unnecessary if I also have a subwoofer that can deal with the lower frequencies?

It’s time to step up to the fostex superwoofer

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Could someone pull all the Sansui 331 manuals off Hifi engine for me? They still have not reenabled registration.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 27, 2023

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Palladium posted:

My trip report for Wharfedale Evo 4.2:
  • these are loving hugeass bookshelf speakers
  • they got hooked up at seller's place to megabuck electronic gear, which IMO didn't mattered
  • a wee bit of sibilance in the most sibilant content i have, which is perfectly fine IMO
  • the bass in Carpenters' Solitaire was mindblowingly good to my surprise
  • very smooth and airy presentation yet also non-fatiguing, great instrument separation and decent soundstage and off-axis

Thanks! Am considering them.

Regarding speaker placement: were I to place them on the tv bench the tweeters would be at ear level. I assume that's a good thing or is there a reason to avoid having speakers firing at your ears?

Would a small 8 inch subwoofer contribute much to such big speakers? I mean they come equipped with 6.5" woffers...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Looking at some vintage headphones. Does the brand Tip-Top mean anything to anyone? Mostly I'm wondering if they're worth 40€ or if that's a ripoff. Really want some beefy headphones with a proper coiled cable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Looking at some vintage headphones. Does the brand Tip-Top mean anything to anyone? Mostly I'm wondering if they're worth 40€ or if that's a ripoff. Really want some beefy headphones with a proper coiled cable.

I mean, they look cool that’s for sure. Can’t speak to their sound quality but I wouldn’t hold my breath

Just get some Sony MDR-7506 or whatever

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Vintage headphones almost universally suck. There's been tons of technological improvements on miniaturization that has made modern headphones vastly superior.

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Thanks! Am considering them.

Regarding speaker placement: were I to place them on the tv bench the tweeters would be at ear level. I assume that's a good thing or is there a reason to avoid having speakers firing at your ears?

Would a small 8 inch subwoofer contribute much to such big speakers? I mean they come equipped with 6.5" woffers...

At or slightly above ear level is exactly where you want tweeters, so you're good! And yes, a dedicated sub, even a well-driven 8", will fill out the low end very well. They have a lot more cabinet volume, ports, and other design considerations that make them hit down lower than a pair of bookshelves. 10's are a great choice too, though. You'll definitely get more sub bass and extension as you go up

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

These headphones really stink, audio-wise, but I keep them around for obvious reasons

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
TBH I think I will buy some vintage headphones, just so I can test out the claim that vintage phones suck because I have indeed read that a lot, and a few dissenting opinions. I have some modern headphones already.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TBH I think I will buy some vintage headphones, just so I can test out the claim that vintage phones suck because I have indeed read that a lot, and a few dissenting opinions. I have some modern headphones already.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Just get some Sony MDR-7506 or whatever

these are probably the best example of a "vintage" design still in production for like 35+ years that isn't the KOSS PortaPro/etc.

or you could track down some of the KOSS/Drop electrostats which AFAIK are basically a similar ~40yo design

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

If you do, make sure to open them up and hit the pots there with some Deoxit or similar. I have an old Realistic pair I got for the same reason as you(mine were only $5 at a Goodwill tho), and they were terrible until I opened them up and cleaned them. The channel balance was all out of whack until I did that and they had cutouts/crackling when working the knobs. Now they're just.. kinda mediocre. I'm kinda tempted to strip out the old drivers and drop in some decent ones just for laughs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
OP, even Grados will do a better job of what you want

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Good headphones never stop being good, just like speakers. There are some killer AKGs from the 70s and 80s that hold up, also of course the Stax stuff. What has to be remembered is that most headphones that weren't on a professional level were pretty poo poo up until the late 80s/early 90s. There is a LOT of old junk out there though since the quality that comes out of an awful pair of current bootleg earbuds was considered on the higher end for consumer stuff for a very, very long time. Most manufacturers were more interested in making things smaller through the 80s and much of the 90s and sound quality was a secondary concern. Portable audio was a novelty still at the time so people were just excited to listen on the go. Most were listening to awful cassettes or radio broadcasts so having lower quality actually was a bonus at covering up the sub par quality in the source and design compromises causing noise. This is also part of the reason why Apple didn't make better ear buds for ages because the iPod Classics are noisy as hell due to issues with the design. If you plug in a good pair of headphones into one you can hear all the noise.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ok Comboomer posted:

these are probably the best example of a "vintage" design still in production for like 35+ years that isn't the KOSS PortaPro/etc.

or you could track down some of the KOSS/Drop electrostats which AFAIK are basically a similar ~40yo design

i was gonna say the QuietComforts are our modern classic like that but they've actually changed design much more than i remember, rip

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Get some B&O Form 2i on eBay

Kinda regret not getting 1-2 pairs when they were being liquidated, but I got a set of H2 back in 2016 instead to use at work, which are actually really really nice

shame B&O got fully out of the wired headphone game

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

For fun I just pulled my 7506es out, IMO they still sound pretty good all things considered and I'm putting them up against modern much more expensive headphones. I need a new pad on the left though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Oh, also those square fostex/dekoni blue/etc have that timeless look

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm getting some Pioneer SE-305s and if they suck, well I might not notice since I kinda suck at that. Definitely not an audiophile...

But they got the right look to go with my equipment.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wow, goodwill in 2023 usually wouldn’t have a period in that price tag. Good job!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Wow, goodwill in 2023 usually wouldn’t have a period in that price tag. Good job!

For real though. It's getting absolutely asinine what Goodwill and other thrift stores are pricing stuff at. They just take the median price off eBay and roll with that, even for stuff with clear deficiencies and an unknown state of repair

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Just got these at goodwill for $40 bucks. The cabinets need some love but the woofers were just refoamed (sloppily). These will probably replaced my JBL L3s.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

ThirstyBuck posted:

Just got these at goodwill for $40 bucks. The cabinets need some love but the woofers were just refoamed (sloppily). These will probably replaced my JBL L3s.

Bought my brother some HD770s for a song back when I messed with vintage Hi-Fi stuff. They sound fantastic, so I'm sure these ones will do too. I love their look too.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Jeza posted:

Bought my brother some HD770s for a song back when I messed with vintage Hi-Fi stuff. They sound fantastic, so I'm sure these ones will do too. I love their look too.

Marantz speakers weren’t anywhere on my radar but these seem to be well liked. The JBLs have nice thick bass but poor mid range so these seem better suited to the music and audiobooks that we listen to. So far so good.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 3, 2023

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

large hands posted:

Trying out a class D(Peachtree Nova 300) for the first time ever and I think I might be happy with my system for a few years now:

Has about 3 times the power of the A-S801 it's replacing and the lintons seem to really eat it up. It's hooked up to my PC via USB-B, a wiim mini via toslink for Spotify from my wife's phone and the phono stage absolutely blows the one in the Yamaha out of the water. I feel like I'm getting the most out of my turntable/cartridge now.

I have a topping es30ii but Im just using the built in dac in the Peachtree for simplicity. Despite what ASR might say, I can't hear any difference.

Its also comparatively tiny and light and fits in pretty well in the stereo bookshelf:

I was looking at NAD M10, Cambridge audio Evo 150 but I'm not a huge fan of screens on audio gear and the Peachtree has a lot more power than both. If I ever want to try room correction it has a loop in/out.

How are the Lintons? I'm thinking of buying a pair when my house is (eventually) built for my main system.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Bass Ackwards posted:

How are the Lintons? I'm thinking of buying a pair when my house is (eventually) built for my main system.

They're fantastic, I've had them a couple years now and still get a kick out of listening to music on them every time. Best speakers I've owned and really do everything very well.

One of the audio science review guys did a very extensive set of measurements on them last summer and wound up loving them, too.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

large hands posted:

They're fantastic, I've had them a couple years now and still get a kick out of listening to music on them every time. Best speakers I've owned and really do everything very well.

One of the audio science review guys did a very extensive set of measurements on them last summer and wound up loving them, too.

This seems to be the general consensus. I've had a pair of older Wharfedale Sapphire's for the last few years and they're surprisingly good considering their age. The Lintons look like a natural progression for my main system, and I think they'd probably pair quite well with my A-S700.

The Sapphires will get moved on to another system somewhere else in the house... I've literally designed my new place to have 4 listening areas.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Bass Ackwards posted:

This seems to be the general consensus. I've had a pair of older Wharfedale Sapphire's for the last few years and they're surprisingly good considering their age. The Lintons look like a natural progression for my main system, and I think they'd probably pair quite well with my A-S700.

The Sapphires will get moved on to another system somewhere else in the house... I've literally designed my new place to have 4 listening areas.

They sounded fantastic with my AS-801, which is equivalent to your 700. I just wanted to try them with more power and a better phono stage which is the only reason I swapped amps.

I don't think there's anything in their price range that you would look at and wish you'd bought instead. I was considering kef r3s but they're a bit more expensive, 2-way and people doing direct comparisons don't seem to rate them any better then the lintons.

Plus if you have wood furniture or mid-century modern decor they look fantastic

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
It's funny how Wharfedales have a huge following here in Singapore because they are cheap, yet nobody ever sells their Diamond 12.2 on the local used market versus a fuckton of much more expensive used KEF LS50s.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 6, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I haven’t spent enough time listening to LS50s/Metas to know whether their en-masse reselling is due to people genuinely disliking or tiring of them, or if it’s some kind of memetic event spurred by the internet collectively deciding that they were always overrated

I mean for all we know a lot of the original model LS50s that are on the used market might be getting dumped for LS50 Metas

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Taking apart one of the 2.50€ speakers I bought

I don't know much about speakers but I'd like to know why is there a capacitor between the large speaker and the mid sized tweeter? Also the smallest one wasn't hooked up at all.

I got the other one hooked up to my PC and I believe the smallest tweeter there isn't hooked up either, it sounds fine IMO. No complaints about quality of sound except I never heard the smallest tweeters work.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
does it even have a crossover board

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't even know what that is. Well I googled it now. So no.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Palladium posted:

does it even have a crossover board

You don’t need a crossover if you unplug your tweeters.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

How small speakers can you get provided you use a subwoofer? Does a 6.5" or 8" woofer do anything a 5" driver can't? I've been eying a big Wharfedale Evo 4.2 speaker but would I be just as well off with a smaller Evo 4.1 since I'm planning to pair them with a sub?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

BigFactory posted:

You don’t need a crossover if you unplug your tweeters.

Based on googling, a capacitor is a "passive crossover". I'm not sure what to think here, are these speakers supposed to have a crossover board from factory? Was the smallest tweeter unplugged from factory, seems weird if so. Or did previous owners remove the board if it had one for something else.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Sigmund Fraud posted:

How small speakers can you get provided you use a subwoofer? Does a 6.5" or 8" woofer do anything a 5" driver can't? I've been eying a big Wharfedale Evo 4.2 speaker but would I be just as well off with a smaller Evo 4.1 since I'm planning to pair them with a sub?

As a Evo 4.2 owner, I don't recommend the 4.1 at all. It's a 2-way speaker which is too expensive for a 2-way, and for not much more $ you can have a 4.2 that is a proper 3-way speaker with the midrange dome.

Based on googling, a capacitor is a "passive crossover". I'm not sure what to think here, are these speakers supposed to have a crossover board from factory? Was the smallest tweeter unplugged from factory, seems weird if so. Or did previous owners remove the board if it had one for something else.

Technically there's no need for a crossover board if the design is simple enough (e.g 1st order crossover with just one cap and one inductor).

From the looks of your weird rear end crossover that cap is most likely hooked in series to the tweeter and there's no inductor on the woofer. Which means the former is high-passed in first order at some frequency depending on the capacitance, and the latter is receiving and reproducing the full range signal from the amp.

/end effortposting tone

Palladium fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

From what I could tell it was hooked up in parallel. Anyway I found this site which was helpful. I wonder if someone just didn't know what they where doing has been working on it.
https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/crossover#passive-crossover-design

The woofer is an 8" Philips AD 8061/W4

The tweeters are both damaged so probably no point in keeping them, the mid-sized one is punctured near the center and the small one has a rip near the edge. I don't think they're worth any effort. At least I get what seems to have been two decent 8" woofers.