Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Remember that two weeks at the start of the generation when everyone was like “screwing a m.2 drive into the PS5 is scary, Microsoft made the right decision”?

Then the reality of commoditized storage pricing quickly set in and everyone realized popping a plastic panel off the console is worth saving $100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s nice to see competition now, seagate and now western digital. Perhaps if samsung gets into it too there will be more of a price war but really probably not as it’s a fairly small market for a specialized item.

The best option would be if someone makes an enclosure you can put your own m.2 in, maybe a short one like the steam deck uses.

That is another thing to note, the shorter form factor than a 2280 m.2 (the usual pc nvme drive these days) means the drive will be more expensive per GB than perhaps what you’re used to just because they have to use higher density nand devices to fit on the shorter card.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah a 10 dollar adapter for a stock drive would be cool

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Illusive Man posted:

Remember that two weeks at the start of the generation when everyone was like “screwing a m.2 drive into the PS5 is scary, Microsoft made the right decision”?

Then the reality of commoditized storage pricing quickly set in and everyone realized popping a plastic panel off the console is worth saving $100

It's pretty widely considered that one of the big things that killed the Vita (meaning life) was its overpriced proprietary storage only made by one manufacturer (Sony themselves). Especially baffling since even notoriously-protective Nintendo was using normal SD cards at the time.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Illusive Man posted:

I don’t think anyone said that, no.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Im still just deleting games after im done with them and doing fine.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah a 10 dollar adapter for a stock drive would be cool

They exist. The expansion is just a standard CF pin out, so just a CF-nvme adaptor would work. But the Xbox has a whitelist of drives it accepts as "internal storage" so unless they open that up, in practice it's only really useful if you want REALLY fast external storage.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

ZeeBoi posted:

Finally.

https://www.twitter.com/verge/status/1642513705265971200

$179.99 for 1 TB. Still too much but it’s a start.

Uh that's $10 less than what the Seagate is listing for on both Amazon and Walmart right now. Lol

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Uh that's $10 less than what the Seagate is listing for on both Amazon and Walmart right now. Lol

Amazing what releasing competing products does to prices! (It was $219.99 before.)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Every time I've checked it's been $200, this is the lowest I've seen it. A 10% difference, or 5%, isn't nothing but it's not making the difference for people on a budget either.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Storage wouldn't be such a big deal except for a couple of particular games being gigantic. Destiny even tackled this as a problem, Call of Duty is the last enormous game I can think of off the top of my head.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Flight Simulator and FH5 are my largest motivators. Also Destiny 2. I thought I'd pick up a fun little f2p shooter but I can never justify dedicating that much space to it.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
is wo long fun? I've never played a souls or soulslike, but i enjoy DMC, bayonetta, and dragon's dogma

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

is wo long fun? I've never played a souls or soulslike, but i enjoy DMC, bayonetta, and dragon's dogma

Play sekiro imho

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thinking it might be time to finally join the current gen of game consoles. I don't know how much longer I can expect game devs to make versions for PS4/Xbone.

The Xbox Series S is like half the price of the X. I know it's digital only but...that's $200+ saving I'm seeing. Is that extra money at all worth it? The o nly thing I can think of is, like, sometimes I regret my purchases and I can at least sell off a physical game. Not so much with digital purchases. But $200 is a lot of savings for me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Play a souls game first, instead. If actiony with absolute minimum RPG is what you desire its Sekiro, baby.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

NikkolasKing posted:

Thinking it might be time to finally join the current gen of game consoles. I don't know how much longer I can expect game devs to make versions for PS4/Xbone.

The Xbox Series S is like half the price of the X. I know it's digital only but...that's $200+ saving I'm seeing. Is that extra money at all worth it? The o nly thing I can think of is, like, sometimes I regret my purchases and I can at least sell off a physical game. Not so much with digital purchases. But $200 is a lot of savings for me.

I'd get the S and hold onto the $200 so I could spend it on Game Pass.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

NikkolasKing posted:

If you have a 4K TV then the X is a real improvement over the S. But if you’re at 1440 or 1080 then there’s basically no reason to spend more unless you like having physical discs.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess it depends how much having games run and look better is worth to you, and also how much HDD space you plan on using (as a Series S + HDD expansion is almost the same price as a Series X anyway).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Personally the storage is particularly bugging me on the Series S because I have terrible download speeds where I live right now. If you have blazing fast downloads then switching a few game installs every now and then might not be a big deal.

Well, unless you play those various games that are like 200GB lately. I don't usually because those games are bad but that would be another point in the Series X's favor.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Pirate Captain posted:

If you have a 4K TV then the X is a real improvement over the S. But if you’re at 1440 or 1080 then there’s basically no reason to spend more unless you like having physical discs.

1440p is not bad at all for high framerate games on an X, though obviously only if 120Hz or above is supported

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Martman posted:

Personally the storage is particularly bugging me on the Series S because I have terrible download speeds where I live right now. If you have blazing fast downloads then switching a few game installs every now and then might not be a big deal.

Well, unless you play those various games that are like 200GB lately. I don't usually because those games are bad but that would be another point in the Series X's favor.

I think I could live with 500 gigs or no disc drive but not both. Series X is the way.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The S is fine(tm) if you're on a budget, but yeah you'll quickly spend more if you need storage expansions, it doesn't even have to be for CoD or Destiny, 500 GB isn't much with AAA games in general. Unless you're aggressively uninstalling games you don't play (anymore).

Also the disc drive in the X will allow you to trade disc games and you can use backwards compatible Xbox games on disc to download the versions running on S/X for free. I can see this saving $200 over the mid/long term for some people, or nothing at all for others, YMMV.

Also in terms of performance, the S will not go away, and remains a requirement for studios to support, but there have been multiple "series S is holding games back :qq:" articles this past year so if you plan to keep it for a while, the experience might get worse (especially if you can't tolerate lower framerates or image quality), requiring an earlier replacement. On the other hand, if you're happy just running the games at all, this doesn't matter.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's important to note that the X lets you downsample to 1080p from a 4K render target if you remember that trend (it's still the best AA you can get). There are also multiple games that have 1080p60 modes only available on the X

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
You can use basically any USB hard drive on an Xbox Series S for storage. You can generally only play previous generation games on those drives, but you can store current generation ones on the USB drive and copy them to the internal drive when you want to play.

If price is a main concern and you are okay with being digital only for games, then the Series S is great. You can work around its limitations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zerot posted:

You can use basically any USB hard drive on an Xbox Series S for storage. You can generally only play previous generation games on those drives, but you can store current generation ones on the USB drive and copy them to the internal drive when you want to play.

If price is a main concern and you are okay with being digital only for games, then the Series S is great. You can work around its limitations.

Yeah, I also have a decent gaming PC right now and a Switch. I didn't think I needed the top of the line current gen consoles. And I was gonna get an external HDD anyway to record game footage longer.

I was told things look worse on the Series S vs. X, though. Is that true?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I mean this is Xbox thread and all, but I wouldn't buy an S. It is just worse product than real consoles (Xsx/ps5)

If you want to save a bit, the Diskless PS5 is 100 cheaper than Regular PS5/XSX and is not inferior console like series s.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zerot posted:

I was on a budget last black friday and I inmediately slapped a 256gb usb drive for emulation (and dev mode) and a 250gb SSD via USB on my Series S. Storage has been fine and I don't have data caps and I have a 600mbps connection so I can juggle stuff easily. I'll still get the X anyways for the extra power and storage. My Blu-ray player is still a launch PS3 (with CFW and modded fan that makes no noise) with the PS3 remote.

Issaries posted:

I mean this is Xbox thread and all, but I wouldn't buy an S. It is just worse product than real consoles (Xsx/ps5)

If you want to save a bit, the Diskless PS5 is 100 cheaper than Regular PS5/XSX and is not inferior console like series s.

The S is absolutely fine for people like me that don't look for 4k gaming, move it and look for emulation. A couple controllers and retroarch make up for a great travel console.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes. Series S is a 1080p/1440p machine so you can expect visual cutbacks in line with that. Some games will cut graphical features like raytracing from the Series S version, too.

If this is a problem, then save up for the Series X, 100%.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

NikkolasKing posted:

For comparison: Resident Evil VIII different resolution options:

New Gen:
Xbox Series X: 4K HDR/60 fps
Xbox Series X (when Ray Tracing is turned on): 4K HDR/45 fps

Xbox Series S: 1440p HDR/45 fps
Xbox Series S (when Ray Tracing is turned on): 1440p HDR/30 fps

Old Gen:
Xbox One X: 1080p/60 fps
Xbox One X (when set to high resolution): 4K HDR/30 fps

Xbox One: 900p/30 fps

There's usually similar differences in each game. Numbers vary a bit.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I would pay the extra money for the Series X every single day of the week. The S version of games already are having to have major performance cutbacks versus the X/PS5 and the generation has barely even started as far as exclusives go

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Basically, if you have a 4K display, get the Series S as a streaming box. If you have a 1080p display, get the Series X to play videogames

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Illusive Man posted:

I would pay the extra money for the Series X every single day of the week. The S version of games already are having to have major performance cutbacks versus the X/PS5 and the generation has barely even started as far as exclusives go

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Series S is holding back this gen a fair bit because of its limitations so yeah don’t get one unless you have a real crappy TV/monitor or are severely limited with your budget I can’t recommend it. Series X is brill tho

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think we all know what that "S" in Series S stands for, if you know what I mean... subpar performance!!!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The biggest issue with the Series S is really its storage, especially given what upgrading it costs. It's only like 364 gigs of space that's actually useable. I don't think you can install Microsoft Flight Simulator and NBA 2K at the same time; if you can, that's probably all you're going to have installed on it. And despite the fact that it technically supports different builds of games with smaller resource files (e.g. textures), I think the only Series-native games that supports this functionality are Gears 5 and Halo Infinite.

A slightly-more-expensive S that had the same 1tb of internal storage as the X would be much more appealing.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Why S when you can X.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I like my S just fine and storage isn't an issue - I do have unlimited download bandwidth though.

I use it mainly on a 1080p computer monitor with a variable resolution rate. I even sometimes hook it up to a 4K TV and it also looks fine!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm not gonna hold you, when people show those side by side resolution comparisons I can't loving tell the difference.

I notice FPS though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm not gonna hold you, when people show those side by side resolution comparisons I can't loving tell the difference.

I notice FPS though.

FPS is for tryhards.
Raytracing always on. No matter what.