Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

pentyne posted:

From memory the entire southern tropical jungle area and that coastal fishing village had no actual purpose in the game they were just there to explore for the of it.

yeah i couldnt believe that village when i stumbled into it 200 hours in or so. i spent a comfy afternoon just sailing along that coast (until i crashed into Hardcore No Gear Island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
the coastal village was the coolest little creepy spot in botw. i just wandered around waiting for around to happen.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The coastal town used to be populated but the draw of the distant island became too much to resist for the locals.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

then he made me pay 20 rupees for blowing a hole in his cave (not a euphemism)

If they bring this mechanic back then it’s automatic GOAT and also this will be the thread title

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
all they gotta do is put one old man in some cave with a sword

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
just realizing there will probably be another one of those Metal Gear Solid Sustenance levels in TotK. drat that was such a great mission, one of the most memorable ball fetch quests. i think it also had the one blood moon i remember being happy to see, since it reset some monster or item that i needed another one of but had messed up or lost in an attempt.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

One time I knocked the orb on top of the island into the ocean and it was quite the struggle to get it back up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's laid out like Outset Island was, right down to Arryl's perch.

I adore that little fishing village. It's extremely Washington State.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Augus posted:

not true at all, individual pieces of gear in BoTW give you bonuses, not just the full sets. there are many areas in botw where you only need one piece of gear with heat/cold resistance and then you can use the other two slots on whatever.

Link is Hyrule's winter coat and shorts guy

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

There’s a decent argument to be made that Lurelin Village was meant to be involved in the plot, probably involving another Divine Beast based in the ocean, and all of that was cut during development

The main two arguments are A) that entire region being the only really irrelevant region in the final game, almost like there was supposed to be something big there, and B) there’s a whale-looking Divine Beast figurine hanging from the ceiling of the Hateno Lab that also closely resembles one of the Divine Beasts in the concert art

It’d be cool to see them bring that cut concept back, like they did with Link’s hosed-up arm

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Procrastine posted:

ok now what

Umm, my uncle is asleep now but I think...was it finding Yoshi in the basement, or getting Mew from under the truck?

The third cutscene is gonna be so good, I heard that you finally get to see the Legends of Zelda, if you know what I mean.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Maroon Hawk posted:

There’s a decent argument to be made that Lurelin Village was meant to be involved in the plot, probably involving another Divine Beast based in the ocean, and all of that was cut during development

The main two arguments are A) that entire region being the only really irrelevant region in the final game, almost like there was supposed to be something big there, and B) there’s a whale-looking Divine Beast figurine hanging from the ceiling of the Hateno Lab that also closely resembles one of the Divine Beasts in the concert art

It’d be cool to see them bring that cut concept back, like they did with Link’s hosed-up arm

Akkala also doesn’t figure much into the main plot. It has the ancient tech forge but that’s about it. Lots of nice world building though.

There’s lots of places like that actually. Faron Grasslands and Hebra Mountains (beyond the tiny bit of the Archery Range) are also examples.

Lurelin Village is just more populated than those other areas.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Akkala has the prettiest trees, 10/10 area of the map

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hope there's a korok you only get by rolling a boulder up a hill, but the boulder is programmed to slip away when you get close

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Faron's pretty important, all told. It has several shrine quests, at least two with Kass, a goddess spring, eventide, a tower. Easiest place to farm hearty ingredients, with the durian trees.

Area north of lost woods feels much less important. Pretty much nothing of note along the central-north border.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MokBa posted:

One time I knocked the orb on top of the island into the ocean and it was quite the struggle to get it back up.

That is super frustrating. Especially starting out not knowing where they even go.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Something about the way Zelda devs design their world makes the areas that are unfinished or pared down really stand out. Since as far back as OoT people have really fixated on these spots, and they've been the sources of playground rumors or lore speculation

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
was messing around in twilight princess HD and noticed something that i never did before because i exclusively played this game on gamecube, at a decent distance away from the screen

i knew there were theories that the twili's ancestors were sheikah but some of the evidence seemed kinda nebulous - the eye iconography never seemed THAT similar to me - the one on the front of midna's helmet looks closer to yugioh designs than anything.

but, uh. That's unmistakably a sheikah eye on the back of midna's helmet. Neat!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think with BotW it makes more sense that not every major area is important and it builds the character of the world. At least compared to something like WW, which has a destroyed island that was obviously meant to be a major area but they ran out of time and they had to cut it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

You happen to run across enough stables that restocking arrows isn't really something that you have to go out of your way to do.

Wait, are you just stealing arrows from the archery targets at the stables or something?!? You can do that? Dang.

FWIW I still never beat BOTW after several hundred hours so I'm resurrecting my run from late 2020 which has two Beasts and all the towers but I don't think a whole lot else. I don't have Epona for instance.

In a curious coincidence I spent the evening on horseback finishing off trails my Hero's Path says I never rode on. It's pretty drat satisfying.

I'm still pretty shook when it comes to hand-to-hand combat. I want to do it "right" and shield block but I'm pretty bad at the timing, even against Bobokin.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Link really needed to learn CQC once they added weapon durability

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I think with BotW it makes more sense that not every major area is important and it builds the character of the world. At least compared to something like WW, which has a destroyed island that was obviously meant to be a major area but they ran out of time and they had to cut it.

It does at least help build the idea that they're places that escaped Ganon's wrath - they're just not important enough for the Big Evil to bother with. Just a tiny lil' fishing village with like five people in it, tucked away on a remote beach, not worth worrying about when you have all of Castle Town to obliterate

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Tayter Swift posted:

Wait, are you just stealing arrows from the archery targets at the stables or something?!? You can do that? Dang.

Nah but Beedle's always around the stables, you buy arrows from him.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Lurelin village was actually the first landmark I came across in BotW because the first thing I did was glide south off the plateau and then travel through that valley with the lynel. I had been wandering through a thunderstorm along the coast until I came across the village. It's one of my most incomparable gaming memories, but I did experience some disappointment when I learned there wasn't much to do there.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm gonna go to a print shop and print out a high res map of BOTW Hyrule, and only use that map for navigation except for points where the game requires me to use the ingame map. I've been wanting to do this since the game was announced, because I was thinking that 1. being the one to mark changes to the geography from the original would keep the exploration feeling fresh, and 2. orienting myself based on landmarks feels like it might be more fun than just checking my bearing with a map cursor.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
One of the floating islands should be the Zelda stage from Smash Bros Melee.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

blakyoshi posted:

One of the floating islands should be the Zelda stage from Smash Bros Melee.

And you have to beat it to get the ultra hand power

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Argue posted:

I'm gonna go to a print shop and print out a high res map of BOTW Hyrule, and only use that map for navigation except for points where the game requires me to use the ingame map. I've been wanting to do this since the game was announced, because I was thinking that 1. being the one to mark changes to the geography from the original would keep the exploration feeling fresh, and 2. orienting myself based on landmarks feels like it might be more fun than just checking my bearing with a map cursor.

Ive done a no fast travel run of botw and it’s amazing how much stuff you miss with fast travel

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kassad posted:

Nah but Beedle's always around the stables, you buy arrows from him.

Yeah, but he quickly runs out of arrows and you have to wait for a blood moon to get more. At least, that's my experience. I wanted to stock up on arrows and shops and beedle seemed to only carry a few at a time and took forever to restock. How I made money was from doing that deer hunting challenge in Hateno or Kakariko or whatever town it is in. Using the free knight bow that spawns at one of the stables every blood moon and being economical with arrows, you can make decent money from both the reward from the challenge as well as the meat you collect. And you can do it as many times as you want.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 2, 2023

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
If he's out of arrows, it's because the game considers you have too many arrows already. I guess in that case you can murder your way up the path to Zora's domain?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/aquatic_ambi/status/1642359402966679552?s=46&t=Mu6ngisnZlTkezPxh7sqCQ

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tayter Swift posted:

FWIW I still never beat BOTW after several hundred hours so I'm resurrecting my run from late 2020 which has two Beasts and all the towers but I don't think a whole lot else. I don't have Epona for instance.

In a curious coincidence I spent the evening on horseback finishing off trails my Hero's Path says I never rode on. It's pretty drat satisfying.

I'm still pretty shook when it comes to hand-to-hand combat. I want to do it "right" and shield block but I'm pretty bad at the timing, even against Bobokin.

The only two things I would suggest to a newbie player are to save up rupees from the start to afford the cold/warm gear asap, and to take a horse and just follow the roads. You'll hit all the stables, which all have a nearby shrine for fast travel, and every stable has a plethora of weapons/arrows/food along with some sidequest NPCs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:perfect:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Using Fuse to combine Epona's Song with the Song of Soaring

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I saw a few posts now saying caves are back in a big way and I wanted to ask where was that confirmed outside one of the two cutscenes being in one

Not really saying it's impossible but the only caves I remember were little holes with a shrine in them in 1 and I don't recall seeing anything about them in 2

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw a few posts now saying caves are back in a big way and I wanted to ask where was that confirmed outside one of the two cutscenes being in one

Not really saying it's impossible but the only caves I remember were little holes with a shrine in them in 1 and I don't recall seeing anything about them in 2

There was a trailer with a wide shot of an before-unseen location that people are speculating is underground because of an -oblin mining operation and what appear to be giant mushrooms. Another trailer shows a hinox chasing link through a tunnel.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think it's just speculation and a counter to "it's all the same map." Maybe there's a huge underworld. Maybe you just fight an alligator man with an axe. Who knows

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There are clear cave indicators on the minimap in the ten minute gameplay demo. That said we have no idea what those actually mean or what kind of gameplay is available at those icons.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The final boss is using Ultrahand and Fuse to build the legendary third cutscene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Caverns feature prominently in the trailers, both in cutscene form and with enemies in them. In the latest demo we saw on the minimap that caves are tracked somewhat like shrines, with icons that can be checked off. The Ascend ability seems made with spelunking in mind

and presumably there are big holes where parts of the sky islands were. still not clear if all the sky islands were risen from underground or somewhere else, but at least hyrule castle and the labyrinths were raised

so it's all just inferences, but pretty strong ones