Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pvt. Parts posted:

"This game is really fun because it's plastered in anime booba"

Did I do it right?

For the right audience, perhaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

This game has auctions.

If someone doesn’t excited about auctions then they shouldn’t be playing board games

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Chill la Chill posted:

This game has auctions.

If someone doesn’t excited about auctions then they shouldn’t be playing board games

:yeah:

The easiest way to sell me on a game is to tell me it's deep. I like a game with layered complexity and difficulty that's never the same experience twice. E.g., Spirit Island, Blood on the Clocktower, Magic the Gathering, Warp's Edge. Hell, chess.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Y'know that's a really good discussion topic. What's the shortest description of a game that would get you interested or excited?

For me it's probably "interesting decisions with a relatively simple ruleset", I am getting less and less happy with complicated rulesets, I want games where the complexity is in the emergent gameplay.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
“Asymmetric player powers”

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
"modular with high replayabilty"

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

silvergoose posted:

For me it's probably "interesting decisions with a relatively simple ruleset", I am getting less and less happy with complicated rulesets, I want games where the complexity is in the emergent gameplay.

:same: Give me dat elegance.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
'thematic historical (non-war) board game'

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Trains

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Kickstarter Exclusive

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
"Shared incentive" might be enough for me since it covers things like Brass, Pax Pam as well as most train games.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Divorce incoming

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Parker Lewis posted:

Kickstarter Exclusive

Regretfully correct

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Divorce incoming

Good tagline for Fog of Love

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Does anyone have thoughts on Townfolk Tussle? You can link me to a previous post if it's been covered

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

nordichammer posted:

Does anyone have thoughts on Townfolk Tussle? You can link me to a previous post if it's been covered

^^^^^
Recent Townsfolk Tussle chat

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Shes Not Impressed posted:

The game where you’re trying to bamboozle your partner for a break up and then find out they’re doing the same and you’ve just been lying to each other for an hour about your happy relationship

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
If the replay value wasn't so low, Fog of Love would be a top 5. If you've got the money, it's easily one of the best games I've ever played. I love that game so much.

Even better than playing with your spouse is to get your married friends to play, and drink and watch them and judge their fake couple.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Anyone have a good resource for Dune:Imperium strategy with both the expansions? Didn't see much on BGG that covered Immortality. Have not been doing well of late and need to figure out how to weight Tleixu vs. CHOAM vs. main board effectively.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Y'know that's a really good discussion topic. What's the shortest description of a game that would get you interested or excited?

"Hidden Movement, 1 Vs Many"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Honestly loving this, because nearly everyone's is stuff I kinda can't stand! Wide tastes.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

silvergoose posted:

“Logic puzzle”

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Tempura Wizard posted:

“Logic puzzle”

You like spatial logic? It's time to plug ROVE because no one has and someone should. It's good! Strictly solo though

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Oh dang this looks extremely my jam, thank you

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
"For Sale"

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

for sale
party game
never played

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I picked up Bloodborne since my friend said he'd play with me and help me paint them, which was enough to sell me on buying it

My experience was, I got there at 3ish, and I left his place at 630 ish, so, a lot longer than the upper end of 90 minutes playtime. That's to be expected (four players).

There was a few questions the guide it came with didn't do a very good job at describing, such as insight, how to get it (a black background blurb on one page, some minor references to other things) and identifying whether a quest was the main quest or a side quest (completing the hunt vs completing a mission respectively) and there were other aspects that were initially hard for everyone to keep track of like, the way the guide is worded, it sounds like, one hunter takes their turn, then every single spawned enemy on the map takes their turn; players would take their turn and then I think revert to thinking it was the next person's turn and the enemy would take their turn after all that, but it is worded such that Person A -> Enemy -> Person B -> Enemy, etc which, really makes every round potentially combat heavy, especially if you ended up with a lot of tiles with the same spawn icons were picked and the strongest of the three picked creatures also happens to be on the spawn icon that is the most common.

There were times I got to do cool things, like dash past enemies to use my last card to interact with a quest token, but because the enemy can move and attack afterwards, I get brought down to half health by two enemies, then person B comes up and can do one attack, but it's again the enemy's turn and I'm the closest person so now that character is dead and the tracker moves up one and I have no way to regain those blood echoes that were lost, and if you want to deck build....at all in a reasonable fashion, and there are a lot of upgrade cards that are useful, then this kind of hurts that imo.

Afterwards, I respawned and ran over to this other enemy that was going to trouble the other players and used the heavy attack on the greatsword with a +dmg card to one shot the brick thrower enemy, which was cool, but then I can't fight back at all until the following round because I have no cards, while the enemy can get all these free attacks in.

So, parts of it are reminiscent of the videogame the board game is based on, but I think, if I was playing by myself, I would change some house rules. Like, reduce the enemy action economy by half, and if you die your blood echoes would be dropped, and you could come back and get them. Maybe make the first death "free" on the tracker, and maybe as well reduce their range of activation to only be within the tile that the enemy is on. Currently we read it as the tile the enemy is on, but also the tiles adjacent to them where they could travel, in other words, if it's at the rear end end of one room, it should not see someone entering the adjacent tile on the opposite end, that's kind of stupid. I don't think I'm reading it wrong because it says quote "Enemies on Hunter’s tile or on tiles connected to it will activate. Those further away do not activate." If a hunter isn't on the same visual range as an enemy in the video game, it is very unlikely it will see you.

Anyways, we completed the hunt (without realizing it, thinking we needed to complete all of them) and were close to just barely beating the last side quest before the tracker ended, realizing we already beat the hunt and didn't need to bother with the sidequest. All in all, we liked the game and want to play more, but there certainly was a lot of waffing about with the rulebook and not having the answer all the time offhand until an hour or so into the game. We all thought subsequent plays would be much quicker and easier

Back to my original tangent about the gameplay, I found this which sounds fun. https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/214499/videogame-variant-no-time-track

IDK about anyone else, but I don't really like beat-the-clock aspects in board games (or videogames, either) and especially in souls games I play slowly and methodically, clearing out rooms and picking up everything. Rushing me = anxiety and increased agitation, so this might be a fun variant

It also makes me realize how....disrespectful of your space some of these minis kickstarter games are. There are like, ten boxes if you had kickstarted the all in and like, I don't think a single game should ever take up more than 1 kallax cube. If I was to all-in at this point for bloodborne, the most efficient way of storing everything seems to be to spend $50~ for a card insert, and buy a large tackle box to shove all the minis inside instead.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 2, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Double bill it with ... and then we held hands for a fun evening.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Yes. Thank you - precisely this! That's what makes the best kind of game, IMO.

OmegaGoo posted:

“Asymmetric player powers”

This is also very good, too

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Pvt. Parts posted:

"modular with high replayabilty"

I am also a level 99 fan

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I got my first game of Troyes in last night after buying it a few days ago and my lord, it really is fantastic, isn't it? I felt there was just slightly too little dice/cash to do everything I wanted and some hard decisions had to be made, but it was relatively simple and the game wrapped up nicely before becoming turgid. I felt that the iconography on the cards is still a bit of a foreign language and I had to look up the definitions a few times to understand, but once familiar it was easy to remember/infer. Overall I felt like there was very little domain-specific knowledge you needed to understand and there wasn't a huge amount to learning the game. It's not quite as elegant as something like RFTG but it is super efficient in a time/materiel to choice ratio and the art/design is fabulous.

In terms of the actual game itself, my opponent had the Florentine and basically maxed out city hall powers and buying spots in city hall for an overwhelming dominance in yellow dice, whereas I as King Henry split my interests between the Bishopric and Royal Palace. We both bought artisans, a palace artisan that came up for me was the Tax Collector which worked very well to take 5 denier any turn I wanted to. My opponent snapped up the Journeyman and on the last two turns just burned through renown to get cash, and then used the Journeyman to gain VP.

Next time, I'll get the wife involved and report back.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Southern Heel posted:

I got my first game of Troyes in last night after buying it a few days ago and my lord, it really is fantastic, isn't it? I felt there was just slightly too little dice/cash to do everything I wanted and some hard decisions had to be made, but it was relatively simple and the game wrapped up nicely before becoming turgid. I felt that the iconography on the cards is still a bit of a foreign language and I had to look up the definitions a few times to understand, but once familiar it was easy to remember/infer. Overall I felt like there was very little domain-specific knowledge you needed to understand and there wasn't a huge amount to learning the game. It's not quite as elegant as something like RFTG but it is super efficient in a time/materiel to choice ratio and the art/design is fabulous.

In terms of the actual game itself, my opponent had the Florentine and basically maxed out city hall powers and buying spots in city hall for an overwhelming dominance in yellow dice, whereas I as King Henry split my interests between the Bishopric and Royal Palace. We both bought artisans, a palace artisan that came up for me was the Tax Collector which worked very well to take 5 denier any turn I wanted to. My opponent snapped up the Journeyman and on the last two turns just burned through renown to get cash, and then used the Journeyman to gain VP.

Next time, I'll get the wife involved and report back.

Just checking because this rule gets missed a lot: you did score both players for the hidden "character" objectives, right?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Major Isoor posted:

Yes. Thank you - precisely this! That's what makes the best kind of game, IMO.

This is also very good, too

It always really bugs me though, when something is advertised as asymmetric and what they mean is that you all have the same options available to you, but you can choose different ones. Like, that's not asymmetry in the roles / characters / game, that's asymmetry in the players. That's a given in every game! Kemet gets away with it a little because the powers are mostly exclusive, so you sort of end up building an asymmetric role, but, even still. Definitely a pet peeve rather than an actual complaint because it's only based in my preferences.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

Just checking because this rule gets missed a lot: you did score both players for the hidden "character" objectives, right?

Yes I did! I did only use one character per player though just to keep things simple the first time through

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

!Klams posted:

It always really bugs me though, when something is advertised as asymmetric and what they mean is that you all have the same options available to you, but you can choose different ones. Like, that's not asymmetry in the roles / characters / game, that's asymmetry in the players. That's a given in every game! Kemet gets away with it a little because the powers are mostly exclusive, so you sort of end up building an asymmetric role, but, even still. Definitely a pet peeve rather than an actual complaint because it's only based in my preferences.

Yeah the key difference here is asymmetric starting powers vs wildly divergent paths, they usually have a very different feel.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm getting a real craving for playing some Sentinels of the Multiverse for some reason, does anyone have any recommendations for how to get started on it? I think they released a steam version, right? What's the most up to date pack if I want to buy physical stuff? I thought they had a KS up for the most recent stuff but I can't seem to find it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Tekopo posted:

I'm getting a real craving for playing some Sentinels of the Multiverse for some reason, does anyone have any recommendations for how to get started on it? I think they released a steam version, right? What's the most up to date pack if I want to buy physical stuff? I thought they had a KS up for the most recent stuff but I can't seem to find it.

https://www.backerkit.com/c/greater-than-games/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-disparation-expansion

It's on Backerkit, and ends in about 68 hours as of this post. This is the second expansion set to the updated "definitive" edition.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

I'm getting a real craving for playing some Sentinels of the Multiverse for some reason, does anyone have any recommendations for how to get started on it?

Yes; don't. It's a very poor game and not worth your time. Legendary does the same thing but better.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jedit posted:

Yes; don't. It's a very poor game and not worth your time. Legendary does the same thing but better.

Are the two even the same type of game, other than theme?

One is a deckbuilder, the other is a game with preconstructed decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jedit posted:

Agree, but if you must: buy through Steam or Humble Bundle when it goes for cheap AF.