Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You Are A Elf posted:

Does zombie Simpsons still do three second musical montages every episode? It seems like it was ~*a thing*~ for awhile that every episode have three seconds of licensed music for some reason.

There's a montage every episode, it seems. It's usually longer than 3 seconds though; I can't recall anything that matches what you're talking about but it seems like it would be very forgettable if it is happening a lot.

Tons of cartoons do long montages set to music though. I think it's just a really lazy way to kill time. It's hardly ever funny, but I guess it's 30 seconds less television show that you have to write. "OK, Bart has a bunch of fireworks and he's pranking people around town with them. Give me the first 5 scenarios you can think of and we'll set it to 'Have a Blast' by Green Day."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't watch that often anymore, but every time I do there's a cringey segment where Homer just belts out some musical style song like he's making it up as he goes. Probably because the writers jotted down whatever they first thought of and went with it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like they remember him singing “Little Spanish Flea” in his car and they think the lyrics are the funny part and not that he’s singing it alone in the parking lot of a concert

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Completely oblivious to the SWAT team and heavy police presence engulfing his car, to boot.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Also you can't do the Spanish Flea bit anymore because part of the humour was that Homer was often happy and whimsical in silly ways that he just can't be now because the writing is too cynical. Him and Marge finding wholesome joy in simple things was always a cute joke, and helped make them seem more affable as characters.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Like PostNouveau said, it has something to do with songs netting you more residuals. I don't exactly understand how it works, but I've heard coworkers on the writing/producing end joke about a few times now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If they did it today it would be 90 seconds long and involve dancing through the whole town

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PostNouveau posted:

There's a montage every episode, it seems. It's usually longer than 3 seconds though; I can't recall anything that matches what you're talking about but it seems like it would be very forgettable if it is happening a lot.

Tons of cartoons do long montages set to music though. I think it's just a really lazy way to kill time. It's hardly ever funny, but I guess it's 30 seconds less television show that you have to write. "OK, Bart has a bunch of fireworks and he's pranking people around town with them. Give me the first 5 scenarios you can think of and we'll set it to 'Have a Blast' by Green Day."

Das Boo posted:

Like PostNouveau said, it has something to do with songs netting you more residuals. I don't exactly understand how it works, but I've heard coworkers on the writing/producing end joke about a few times now.

Thank you both :tipshat:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

emgeejay posted:

we need writers who know what the cash register says when maggie is scanned

I don't think NRA4EVER is the kind of messaging the show needs

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

The previous talk about Homer At The Bat possibly being the best episode holds up.

I wouldn't call it the best, but I think it's definitely the first one that hit every single classic Simpsons note perfectly. It's also a charming little time capsule of a time when Americans still loved baseball, before the strike really hosed them up for decades.

It also reminds me that me and my idiot friend were walking around at age 13 or 14 occasionally saying 'hOOOOOnus Wagner' at each other

Das Boo posted:

I want the person responsible for me strolling around asking Who Needs the Quik-E-Mart and telling people the schoolyard's up and the shopping mall's down to get paid handsomely.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I had a whole CD with all the good songs so i too will never get them out of my brain

Let's hurl a brick-e-mart!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Das Boo posted:

I get the sense it's like Gene Roddenberry writing lyrics for the Star Trek theme so he could claim royalties.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Dixville posted:

I had a whole CD with all the good songs so i too will never get them out of my brain

Let's hurl a brick-e-mart!

Songs in the Key of Springfield is a great CD and I think I still have my copy of it somewhere. Also had The Simpsons Sing the Blues on cassette.

I love Robert Goulet’s version of Jingle Bells, if not for the “Oh! I’m sorry, kid!” Milhouse microphone smack. It’s such a great reading along with “Vera said that?”

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I was born in the mid '80s but my first experience with the Simpsons was through Songs In the Key of Springfield. Still one of my favorite albums.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

womb with a view posted:

Also you can't do the Spanish Flea bit anymore because part of the humour was that Homer was often happy and whimsical in silly ways that he just can't be now because the writing is too cynical. Him and Marge finding wholesome joy in simple things was always a cute joke, and helped make them seem more affable as characters.

And that he's just killing time while the boys are in a rock concert, having his kind of fun while he lets them have theirs. The kind of bits where Homer is legit a good dad, he's there the whole time if they need him.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

the stonecutters song is the best simpsons song

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The Planet of the Apes musical gets stuck in my head a lot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually an underrated part of sitcom goofy dads is when they can be genuinely easygoing and likeable. Daria's dad also comes to mind, a high-strung neurotic with clear PTSD but he actually gets along really well with the young people when he's not trying to market to them.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
They had that little game on Twitter awhile back where you assign 4 fictional characters to best represent yourself.
It was then I realized my dad is just Dexter's dad from Dexter's Lab, straight up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The fun joke there is realising Dexter and Dee-Dee's parents are just them gender-swapped.

Also I kinda love about this thread dissecting what makes bad Simpsons bad by contrasting it with the good stuff and figuring out what parts actually work, why they work and how those elements are used in other media.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

womb with a view posted:

marge's go-go outfit is everything

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Das Boo posted:

The Planet of the Apes musical gets stuck in my head a lot.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Marge and Homer finding a turkey behind the bed was funny and quaint back in the mid 90s but now the average American eats a whole turkey every day so it'd be like "why did they include this?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Toxic Mental posted:

Marge and Homer finding a turkey behind the bed was funny and quaint back in the mid 90s but now the average American eats a whole turkey every day so it'd be like "why did they include this?"

Good example of where Homer's spontaneous singing started to feel implausible and weird, and it's in season 5.

e: so was the Be Sharps. I wonder if they were consciously trying to make it a "thing"

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
The little extra lines they put in there like the honey roasted peanuts thing were also funny

I feel like for me the Mary Poppins episode was the first one that felt slightly forced. There may have been some good stuff after that too that was just the turning point for me if i remember right.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I think about the peanuts guy a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo32N5c3kxM

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I have sometimes wondered if the Planet of the Apes musical was actually the show's finest moment just because of how hard it is to make poo poo like that actually funny

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

JAMOOOL posted:

I have sometimes wondered if the Planet of the Apes musical was actually the show's finest moment just because of how hard it is to make poo poo like that actually funny

God seriously phil hartman on those songs got his tone and the awkwardness and absurdity of the planet of the apes musical just perfect. You may actually be right. It's hard to think of something i like even more.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Spotify had songs in the key of Springfield so i had to listen to it. There's that gag where the mufasa ghost in the clouds says "you must avenge my death kimba-uh i mean simba "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimba_the_White_Lion

As a kid I actually found the kimba the white lion tape at some store and bought it and watched it quite a few times. I had no idea lion king was supposed to have been a ripoff of it. I think this may have been mentioned in the commentary on the dvd version or maybe i heard about it some other way. Either way i heard that gag tons of times because i listened to the cd so much and i just never connected the two.

drat there are so many layers to that joke. The james earl jones 4th wall break by referencing the other voices he's done, the lion king reference, bad mouthing disney...

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

JAMOOOL posted:

It was amazing even without ever watching any live musicals or the Apes movies, and became better after I actually did. I think it's 90% because it was simply very well thought out, written, performed and animated. From chimpan-A to chimpan-Z.

The fact that it references and completely subverts the point of the Planet of the Apes in favor of musical sensibilities puts it over the top. I love you Dr. Zaius!

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

iamsosmrt posted:

From chimpan-A to chimpan-Z.

i think about this line probably once a week

so god drat clever

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

iamsosmrt posted:

It was amazing even without ever watching any live musicals or the Apes movies, and became better after I actually did. I think it's 90% because it was simply very well thought out, written, performed and animated. From chimpan-A to chimpan-Z.

The fact that it references and completely subverts the point of the Planet of the Apes in favor of musical sensibilities puts it over the top. I love you Dr. Zaius!

he can talk he can talk he can talk he can talk he can talk

I CAN SIIIIIIIING!!!!

I've never seen Planet of the Apes either :haw:

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

That's one thing in particular I love about classic Simpsons - it seemed to have a lot more jokes that had nothing to do with the plot, or involved any of the main characters, but just exquisitely come and go.

This is a clip I think about quite a bit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMekckJqIwQ

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Can I play the piano anymore?

Of course you can!

Well I couldn't before!

*sweet piano lick*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So the Planet of the Apes episode is from S7, but the Streetcar Named Desire upbeat musical was S4. A little rougher perhaps but even more of a wild rear end skewering than Planet of the Apes imo.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's hard to top a song that actually gets you in hot water with the city of New Orleans.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dixville posted:

The little extra lines they put in there like the honey roasted peanuts thing were also funny

I feel like for me the Mary Poppins episode was the first one that felt slightly forced. There may have been some good stuff after that too that was just the turning point for me if i remember right.

I can't help but think "pressed peanut scrapings" every time I see a can of nuts.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Both the Streetcar and the Planet of the Apes parodies were great.

The Mary Poppins thing from season eight had some OK moments but it was mostly pretty lame.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
The only other scene I can think of that might be better than planet of the apes would be the monorail song. Which is also driven by Phil Hartman, not surprising but interesting. God, we lost him too loving soon. Sorry it just always hurts to think of what great stuff he would have done. I think simpsons started to lose its spark after he died. Maybe a coincidence, they were in season 9 or 10 when he died i guess. I consider that about when the decline started though. Maybe it's already been brought up I haven't read every part of this thread. But I never really thought about the timing before. I do remember them dedicating an episode to him, I remember when it aired.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

If this joke were in a current season you'd have someone in the crowd go, "uh, sir, I think you missed"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Dixville posted:

The only other scene I can think of that might be better than planet of the apes would be the monorail song. Which is also driven by Phil Hartman, not surprising but interesting. God, we lost him too loving soon. Sorry it just always hurts to think of what great stuff he would have done.

My mom & I were absolutely obsessed with NewsRadio, and I was obsessed with The Simpsons, and Phil Hartman's death was the first celebrity death that reeeeeeeally got to me. :smith: