Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/chelsea-statement-02-04-23

bold it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Congratulations to Graham Potter for securing generational wealth by being poo poo at Chelsea for 9 months.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Lmao

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
gently caress sake, could they not have waited until after Tuesday?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Congratulations to Graham Potter for securing generational wealth by being poo poo at Chelsea for 9 months.

The dream

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone should tell the Chelsea board that if you're trying to do an Arsenal-style rebuild then you can't keep sacking managers

Edit: Actually no this is funnier, don't tell them

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 2, 2023

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lol loving hell

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
apparently pochettino is on their list and i hope all his friends are telling him not to do it after the PSG circus

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

minema
May 31, 2011
a second manager has hit the bin

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

minema posted:

a second manager has hit the bin

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Winston Bogarde, Roberto Di Matteo and the entire first team of Vitesse Arnhem all come in for a huge party

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Potter come to Leicester we're almost as good as Brighton at selling poo poo to Chelsea you might be able to rinse them a second time

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Wild and wacky stuff in the Sack Race thread.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

He had terrible results, but really just how poo poo was Potter at Chelsea? Toddbro Boehly bought/loaned something like 15 players in the January transfer window and in the end gave Potter two months to make something out of the mass influx.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
the squadbuilding plan has apparently been feeding the latest FM database through chatgpt and asking it who it thinks would be good but potter has also. not been good lol

https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/1642606924301578241?cxt=HHwWgsC9ye6S28stAAAA

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The whole club seems like a shambles from top to bottom but yeah he should've been getting more than 1.27 ppg

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Since he owns 20% of the LA Dodgers and has an ego the size of Jupiter it wouldn't surprise me if Boehly thinks you can up and build a football squad just like you can a baseball (much more linear sport) squad and simply plug a bunch of new players in at positions and expect it to start working immediately, and he's genuinely stunned that this plan hasn't gone incredibly well.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

If Chelsea are gonna be one of those teams who have 3 managers over the course of a season, then can we at least relegate them? It feels like it's mandatory if you need to make two sackings in the span of 9 months.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This is what, 12 managers from 10 teams?

I think Moyes is the last obvious candidate, but who knows at this point

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Potter was genuinely bad at Chelsea though, he changed style and formation a lot and they couldn't score at all.
The Leicester job seems an obvious move for him now, I'd be worried if spurs were interested

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Crazy Ted posted:

He had terrible results, but really just how poo poo was Potter at Chelsea? Toddbro Boehly bought/loaned something like 15 players in the January transfer window and in the end gave Potter two months to make something out of the mass influx.

you're telling me that you couldn't win a title after spending £300m on:

- a Lad Who Was Good At The World Cup
- a player who was the fourth-highest transfer of all time four years ago and is now being shipped out on loan aged 23
- a player who had half a good season in a C-level league taking place in a warzone and where all of the foreign players were allowed to leave
- a striker Arsenal once paid £10m to gently caress off
- Marc Cucurella

just put the cones out and make them run the bleep test till they're not poo poo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
lmao what a shambles of a club

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Crazy Ted posted:

Just yesterday he played a back three with one actual center back and two wing backs.
Reece James, who is basically the best wing back you could ask for, was part of that back three while Ruben Loftus-Cheek played wing back instead.
Even an idiot like me could see that would fail badly.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Crazy Ted posted:

he was pure garbage.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What did Brighton fans think of him? I know they were annoyed when he left but was that more down to timing and the perceived arrogance of Chelsea rather than thinking he was good?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
fundamentally it was always a bad match because his management style was far more suited to BHA's policy of bringing in no-namers and embedding them into a Nice Vibes Squad, as opposed to whatever the gently caress Chelsea's been doing for the last 20 years

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
I guess famously Brighton under potter were seen to be overachieving but not scoring much. The ‘not scoring much’ part of this should have made Chelsea more thoughtful tbh

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Toilet Boehly

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
i dont even want to know how much chelsea paid potter to gently caress off but also: lol, lmao

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Backdoor Delivery posted:

Just yesterday he played a back three with one actual center back and two wing backs.
Reece James, who is basically the best wing back you could ask for, was part of that back three while Ruben Loftus-Cheek played wing back instead.

Hasn't Raheem Sterling played wingback as well?

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Backdoor Delivery posted:

cucurellas played centerback plenty of times and has done his best football at chelsea playing there.

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

What did Brighton fans think of him? I know they were annoyed when he left but was that more down to timing and the perceived arrogance of Chelsea rather than thinking he was good?

This season he seemed to be getting it right at Brighton and we started the season in great form, before he left for Chelsea. Therefore everyone was gutted when he left.

In previous seasons fans were generally happy but we always had issue with scoring goals, despite the standard of football being good. We were also so streaky, go on a run of good form and then go 10-15 matches without a win. This is what has also played out at Chelsea despite the significantly better squad.

Less of an issue is that he is just a personality vacuum, comparing him with De Zerbi in this respect is just night and day.

Any new team will have to accept that he might take it 2-3 seasons to get it right, which he was never going to get at Chelsea. Also at Brighton he really benefited from our top tier scouting/data departments and solid foundations behind the scenes, which I am not sure he is going to get at a Leicester or a Palace.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

UnderFreddy posted:

and has done his best football at chelsea playing there.

damning with faint praise

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
lol Rafa

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
benitez loves joining a club after they've spent all their money under previous managers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Crazy Ted posted:

He did an impossible job abysmally.