Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Another pack at 6 million. It's got the Patton, Drillson, Pike and J. Edgar so it is now extremely important that that number gets hit so that I can buy shitloads of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Stretch Goals:

5.5 mil
Free Audiobook to all backers, A Rock and Hard Place

6 mil
Mercenary life short story collection by Randall Bills
Heavy Battle & Sweep Lances Battlefield Support (Contains Pattons, Drillsons, J. Edgar Light Tank, Pike Support Vehicle)

6.5 mil
Free Audiobook Close Quarters

7 mil
Company level backers get 1 free forcepack
Battalion and above get 2 free forcepacks
Cracked Canopy Cookbook free PDF

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Cracked Canopy Cookbook free PDF

gonna make so many triple f burgers

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

What happens to the new vehicle pack if they don’t reach the goal? Is it just scrapped or might it still be released sometime in the nebulous future

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

a cyborg mug posted:

What happens to the new vehicle pack if they don’t reach the goal? Is it just scrapped or might it still be released sometime in the nebulous future

The stretch goal packs are ones that were already like 70% done, or so I've been told. They'll come out regardless, just later if we don't hit that mark.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
We'll still get them eventually, it just won't be a priority. So we'll get the kickstarter stuff and then maybe during the 2nd or 3rd restock after the kickstarter they'll bring in the new stuff.

Or it'll become an exclusive pack for Barnes and Noble or a distributor, like the mercenary packs are.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has someone done a breakdown of what you actually get in the Kickstarter? I'm looking at the page and it's giving me a migraine.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

https://hpgstation.de/2023/03/23/pledge-level-content/

Unfortunately last updated at the 3 million mark

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Thank you!

It looks like not a lot of value has been added to the $80 tier, but I'll keep checking that.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The way Kickstarter shows updates is very 2012 and I also hate it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rebasing MWDA guys: is there a trick to getting the individual infantry models off the base without busting at the ankles or should I resign myself to just using the whole broccoli base? I am using the freezer which made the missus feel like she was taking crazy pills when she went for a popsicle.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
How many ruined cities do you think the average battletech planet honestly has

Even the capitals must have some real shitholes that they just abandon. "Oh thats the continent where we fought the Falcons. Yeah we don't go there anymore."

This also makes me wonder if the Clan worlds had a city get loving ruined and they just kind of shrugged and said "decent place to have trials i guess idk" and left them to ruin.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

This is a universe that has dozens or even hundreds of dead planets that have been completely wiped out by warfare, so I figure that anything within a couple jumps of a major border that isn't a dead world has whole wrecked continents or cities (plural).

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
You also have to remember that most worlds in the Inner Sphere have populations that still number in the billions, so it’s not uncommon for them to bounce back after several years of not getting trashed, *especially* if they’re worlds that see a lot of action since the galactic powers actually care about them

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

This also makes me wonder if the Clan worlds had a city get loving ruined and they just kind of shrugged and said "decent place to have trials i guess idk" and left them to ruin.

But doesn't batchall mean that some of that is minmized? I imagine the Clans for like 200 years being "oh hey, we're all honorable here, let's go fight over here, I'm defending with 12th Wolf Dudes Cluster yada yada". Obviously that broke down after the invasion, and REALLY broke down with the wars of reaving.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How many ruined cities do you think the average battletech planet honestly has

Even the capitals must have some real shitholes that they just abandon. "Oh thats the continent where we fought the Falcons. Yeah we don't go there anymore."

I would say probably not that many because most planets don't have that many cities, period.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
How closely do powers that conduct open warfare follow the Ares Conventions now anyways? That's one of original documents that created the conditions for the small scale of most conflicts since then

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They don't, the Conventions were repealed by Ian Cameron in his first major act as First Lord and were never reenstated.

To follow the rules of warfare under the Ares Conventions, you have to surrender any time you are outmaneuvered, but the winner has to fix up your equipment and send it back with you when they take control of the planet. However, you can nuke all the JumpShips you want.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Defiance Industries posted:

To follow the rules of warfare under the Ares Conventions, you have to surrender any time you are outmaneuvered, but the winner has to fix up your equipment and send it back with you when they take control of the planet. However, you can nuke all the JumpShips you want.

Deal; man was never meant to travel the stars

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

How closely do powers that conduct open warfare follow the Ares Conventions now anyways? That's one of original documents that created the conditions for the small scale of most conflicts since then

They don't. Please refer to this venture bros clip for why people in Battletech act the way they do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aponDvJflUw

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Rebasing MWDA guys: is there a trick to getting the individual infantry models off the base without busting at the ankles or should I resign myself to just using the whole broccoli base? I am using the freezer which made the missus feel like she was taking crazy pills when she went for a popsicle.

I've been doing this.
A good side cutter and a bit of luck seems to work

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
From what I remember you can just drill out the pegs from the bottom if you pop the turney bit off the base.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

They don't, the Conventions were repealed by Ian Cameron in his first major act as First Lord and were never reenstated.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

They don't. Please refer to this venture bros clip for why people in Battletech act the way they do:

Y'all talk big about how the winner writes the history, but then you get the Succession Wars and Jihad and Republican turtling and now we're back where we started with small slapfights

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If they ever do timejump again, I'd like to see another technological regression. Lostech 2 except this time with Clan poo poo.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

GD_American posted:

If they ever do timejump again, I'd like to see another technological regression. Lostech 2 except this time with Clan poo poo.

Honestly I agree and as a newcomer there’s so much bloat that has questionable value for the game. There’s what, 15-16 types of lasers? Not speaking small medium and large here, but families of lasers. Is that really a good thing?

E: sarna had an even hundred entries for missile weapons, though those do include different sizes of the weapons. Still maybe maybe a tad many? Especially when you combine the number of missiles, lasers, ballistics and so on.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 2, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
They're mostly just sidegrades on existing weapons, little tradeoffs or quirks. And it helps make actually interesting new designs instead of 3025's easily solved meta or 3050's "lol clans".

The IP is 30 years old and has never rebooted the rules, so the real miracle is that there's not MORE random crap. And although plenty of trash has accumulated alongside the genuinely interesting options, it's not really cruft because you can just not use it.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Had our DMV tournament yesterday. Total of 6 attendees, mostly clix veterans but we all decided to try Alpha Strike for the day. Got two games in since of the most of folks didn't have their own AS forces, and had to build armies out of what me and the host brought.

First game was 6 guys, each with one mech, on teams of 3 (The prize support, everyone got to take home an assault class).

Jumpy Executioner

Dire Wolf and King Crab ganging up on my Stalker

Annihilator and Executioner knock each other out.

Samesies for Dire Wolf and Stalker. Dire Wolf missed like 7 attacks before finally connecting.

2nd game, we decided to do 550 pts a side (About 4 lances on either side), 2 vs 3 as one guest had to leave early. I ran with my best looking 'mechs, the Steel Wolves

Dang, Clan mechs hit reaaaallll hard, concentrated volley killed a Warhammer in one 1 round.

My buddy here has a lance of lights and a lance of indirect fire bois. They hid in the trees while I spotted.

Killed a Pheonix Hawk too

Our host's lance of heavy hitters trying to distract and going into urban combat mode.

Taking the bait.

I had to leave early, they played another hour or two, apparently match was a draw and most of my Wolves died eventually. Lot of fun, and we'll have to do it again in a few months.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I've been out of the loop on Battletech for a while now, and I see there's Alpha Strike and Battletech. I know one is the shorter simpler version of the other, but what I could not figure out was the hex maps. Does Alpha Strike not use the hex maps, or can either use them and it's just dealer's choice?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

lilljonas posted:

Honestly I agree and as a newcomer there’s so much bloat that has questionable value for the game. There’s what, 15-16 types of lasers? Not speaking small medium and large here, but families of lasers. Is that really a good thing?

E: sarna had an even hundred entries for missile weapons, though those do include different sizes of the weapons. Still maybe maybe a tad many? Especially when you combine the number of missiles, lasers, ballistics and so on.

If you do a tech regression, though, that stuff is still out there. The solution you ACTUALLY want for this problem is the one PTN used in his LP: go to BAR 12. Doesn't invalidate all the old designs, it just makes all that equipment very ineffective against BAR 12 armor and new equivalent weapons.

Magnetic North posted:

I've been out of the loop on Battletech for a while now, and I see there's Alpha Strike and Battletech. I know one is the shorter simpler version of the other, but what I could not figure out was the hex maps. Does Alpha Strike not use the hex maps, or can either use them and it's just dealer's choice?

I know you can do either for BT and the conversion is very simple (double all ranges, 2 MP to turn one facing) so I assume it works both ways.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 2, 2023

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

General Battuta posted:

And although plenty of trash has accumulated alongside the genuinely interesting options, it's not really cruft because you can just not use it.

This is not really a cut-and-dry excuse for cruft to exist. The fact that the fluff-based old-writer-exercise options actually exist, as options themselves, is enough to confuse folks when presented with them.

Example:

How do you actually pick one of these eras to play with when they're all presented equally like this?
(also, probably not a good idea for the ilClan blurb to be so short when the majority of new products are being made for it) Source: Master Unit List

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

How do you actually pick one of these eras to play with when they're all presented equally like this?

The same way you pick a faction: you don't have to, and the game doesn't care. It only cares if you want to play introtech or standard rules, or get weird with TacOps.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Magnetic North posted:

Hex Maps are BattleTech a.k.a. A Game of Armored Combat.

Alpha Strike maps don't have hexes but there are optional rules to convert them to hexes (to be able to reuse the hex maps for BattleTech as one reason).

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

The same way you pick a faction: you don't have to, and the game doesn't care. It only cares if you want to play introtech or standard rules, or get weird with TacOps.

This is true, for now. I wonder if the design team is actually looking at more official events aimed at the mainstream not-just-wargaming audience with MUL faction and era restrictions, because well, faction restrictions are the norm for many of the minis games BT is aiming to emulate now

(nitpick: Tactical Operations is starting to get long in the tooth with how many types of advanced equipment are appearing in canon designs)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hex Maps are BattleTech a.k.a. A Game of Armored Combat.

Alpha Strike maps don't have hexes but there are optional rules to convert them to hexes (to be able to reuse the hex maps for BattleTech as one reason).

Note that you can also play Battletech without the hexmaps if you'd like.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
disgusting

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

This is true, for now. I wonder if the design team is actually looking at more official events aimed at the mainstream not-just-wargaming audience with MUL faction and era restrictions, because well, faction restrictions are the norm for many of the minis games BT is aiming to emulate now

(nitpick: Tactical Operations is starting to get long in the tooth with how many types of advanced equipment are appearing in canon designs)

Nah, we'll just cure those people of their warhammer poisoning instead. Eventually they'll realize that not only are proxies good, but they were wrong to ever have opposed them.

Also, the official events are trending to LESS faction relevance. Twenty years ago it was Monte Diablo, very specific scenario where you don't even get to pick what your pilot is named. Now it's "we're gonna play BattleTech for fun."

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you're playing a dude and he points out with any seriousness that you're fielding a historically inaccurate lance from different factions, feel free to laugh out loud at him

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finished painting these 5 today

Not super happy with them, the problem with the video tutorials is your stuff looks way worse than the video you're following. Also, Duncan's mech seems completely well formed and not just covered in mold lines and deformities that my models have. I even tried checking for mold lines ahead of time and scraped some down before priming, but I feel like they don't really pop until you're painting.

I have no idea how people paint these tiny windows, this was such a pain to get these and I'm really not happy with them.

All my mechs in this paint scheme so far

edit:

Unrelated to that, what's the mech on the box art for Mech Assault Phantom War? I can't figure out which one it's supposed to be.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 2, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah my point was more ”this is a laser but it causes slighly more heat and more damage. This is also a laser that causes slighly more heat and more damage but it does it in a very slighlty different way” is poor game design. At least when you have so many cases of it. Some of them being irrelevant does not help, as it requires you to be fluent in the rules before knowing which ones are irrelevant.

It’s kinda like one of GWs worst design failures, having a gazillion space marine units that serves little or no purpose than to confuse people.

It’s enough to put a newbie like me from venturing beyond say, clan invasion where I still remember most stuff from cultural osmosis and video games. If you want to make il-clan era your flagship it’s a thing you might want to look at, all I’m saying. For me it feels like the least inviting, not for the fluff but for the sheer complexity.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

lilljonas posted:

Yeah my point was more ”this is a laser but it causes slighly more heat and more damage. This is also a laser that causes slighly more heat and more damage but it does it in a very slighlty different way” is poor game design. At least when you have so many cases of it. Some of them being irrelevant does not help, as it requires you to be fluent in the rules before knowing which ones are irrelevant.

It's actually good game design, because Battletech has construction rules, and if you don't have incremental tradeoffs there aren't really any choices to be made in construction. When there was just one kind of laser (laser) which came in three sizes (small, medium, large) the choice was: how many medium lasers do you want on your mech? Because it was the Right Laser and it was easy to put a bunch of those on with a bunch of heat sinks. Similarly, when it's just Standard Armor (or even Ferro-Fibrous) the choice is basically nonexistent: you want max armor nearly all the time. Same for engines — there are speed sweetspots for each tonnage that just assert themselves.

Making your own mechs is one of those things some people REALLY love about the system. The fact that all canon units are built using the same rules is pretty neat too.

quote:

For me it feels like the least inviting, not for the fluff but for the sheer complexity.

But there isn't a lot of complexity, really, unless you break out artillery and non-mech units and C3 networks and poo poo. Just about every weapon can be described by "it rolls 2d6 + modifiers to hit, maybe it rolls 2d6 on the cluster hits table, maybe it splits the damage up into some clumps, then it rolls 2d6 to decide where it hits". Sometimes weapons have a built-in quirk like pulse lasers or MRMs, sometimes they have equipment like Artemis IV, but it all basically funnels through that same set of 2d6 rolls.

I would say advanced rules (like skidding, smoke, basements) are a source of ten times the absurd complexity as the proliferation of weapons and armor types.