Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
This is the second skill tree. It’s solely for customizing end game zones for the kinds of gameplay you like. You start at the bottom and get 110 choices on this one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pentaro posted:

Can't believe I'm late for Touhou chat. I'm playing that metroidvania where you play as Aya and Momiji and I'm very bad at it but I'm also having fun and that's what it's all about.

that one's been on my radar for a fair while, looks fun

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Frank Frank posted:

An ad for “Who murdered sonic the hedgehog” just popped up in my browser and apparently it’s a real game.

Sonic is dead ya’ll

Also if you Google that, Google will helpfully spoil the game for you.

I mean, I doubt I was going to play it, but still, rude.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Path of Exile seems cool but I'm not a fan of a game that everyone tells you to watch multiple hours of tutorial vids + read gigantic documents before starting to play.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Ok so if I want to give it a whirl, where should I start? Just download the game and go or spend several days reading somewhere first?

You’ll want to start on Thursday with the new league. The thread in Games has a lot of good advice, and maxroll.gg has a lot of good starter guides.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arivia posted:

This is the second skill tree. It’s solely for customizing end game zones for the kinds of gameplay you like. You start at the bottom and get 110 choices on this one:

this however does not look fun

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Arivia posted:

You’ll want to start on Thursday with the new league. The thread in Games has a lot of good advice, and maxroll.gg has a lot of good starter guides.

So wait, every 20 days or so the game is reset and I lose all my progress? Is that how leagues work?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Frank Frank posted:

So wait, every 20 days or so the game is reset and I lose all my progress? Is that how leagues work?

More like every 13 weeks

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also if you Google that, Google will helpfully spoil the game for you.

I mean, I doubt I was going to play it, but still, rude.

I’m sure it was just some dumb April fools joke. I think they did the same with Mario one year but I prefer to believe Sonic is extremely dead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Every three to four months. If you want to keep playing that character you can, they get moved into “Standard” which has no league rotations and you can just keep trucking if you want.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Does the ability to reallocate skill points exist if I gently caress up my build?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Does the ability to reallocate skill points exist if I gently caress up my build?

Yes. You get some from quests and others can be traded for (it’s a standard relatively common currency). If you’re playing with other goons in league people will happily give you some free if you need them.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
the goon PoE channel on whatever discord it's on (been a while) is pretty helpful for build advice and tune-ups

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
most of the skill tree is also no brainers like, you want to kind of look at some builds and figure out what sounds fun, and once you know which big things to steer for the stuff you should obviously have is in the way

like hp. hp nodes are probably always worth taking though i'm pretty out of date

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frank Frank posted:

Ok so if I want to give it a whirl, where should I start? Just download the game and go or spend several days reading somewhere first?

find and use a rutibex build

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

find and use a rutibex build

ask ChatGPT for a Path of Exile build

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Frank Frank posted:

I’m sure it was just some dumb April fools joke. I think they did the same with Mario one year but I prefer to believe Sonic is extremely dead.

I mean, it's a pretty elaborate prank if it is, it has a Steam page and gameplay videos on Youtube and everything.

Also the steam page says the game is canon, Sonic is canonically dead.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Sonic is canonically dead.

:hmmyes:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

this is what it must have felt like posting in TCC in one of the stop breathing threads, watching sage elders give advice to eager newbies about safe forms of brain damage

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

His coconut gun, can fire in spurts
If he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
If he shoots ya, it's MORTAL KOMBAT

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I tried Path of Exile once, got to level 2, opened that sphere grid, and then uninstalled the game.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
This is neither here nor there but I at last found at least one funny April Fools prank on the internet this time.

https://twitter.com/frankbrunoboxer/status/1642100568008130560

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Downloading it now. Extremely slow download for some reason. Why is this game free btw? Is it a pay to win-type deal?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Frank Frank posted:

Downloading it now. Extremely slow download for some reason. Why is this game free btw? Is it a pay to win-type deal?

cosmetics cost money, and so does extra stash tabs (which you will need)

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Serpent's right though, don't get into this if you have literally anything else going on in your life right now

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I would suggest giving dredge a whirl, if you want a bit of fishing crossed with sunless sea. This is feeling like exactly the game I wished sunless sea was.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The people I know who love PoE all say you need to pay 60-100 dollars on stash tabs if you want to play the game seriously. Dunno if they're insane or not but alot of people online seem to agree with that which is nuts lol

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Did sonic die in the comics?

I feel like i remember one plotline where you think sonic died but it's not real. But i didn't read much of it after that (cause it was starting to suck)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The end-game of PoE is that you'll think every ARPG has too little build customization, even PoE.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

i found it was more that there's a literally endless number of options of ways to play the game, but only a tiny number of viable ones at endgame

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Path of Excel

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I hear people muttering "zdh barb" in my sleep

arpg endgames are nothing but excel fueled dopamine drip

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

exquisite tea posted:

Path of Excel

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

symbolic posted:

this however does not look fun

It looks like the kind of thing I would've loved to sink my teeth in when I was 14 years old and had like infinite spare time.

As an adult I'm playing Cyberpunk 2077 right now when I have an hour or two not working or taking care of the kids and I'm pretty much winging it with the skill tree and stuff because whatever, I just want to sneak and shoot and drive around with the occasional break for some pretty decent story and characters. gently caress optimising poo poo, I'll just reload a save if I fail a couple of times and turn down the difficulty if I need to. Haven't had to do that yet on hard difficulty, it seems pretty forgiving for my generalist playstyle right now. I did have to so that couple of times with Assassins Creed Odyssey though and I feel 0 zero shame about it. Days of caring about that are way behind me.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Yeah if you gently caress up your kids' builds it's joever

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Taeke posted:

gently caress optimising poo poo, I'll just reload a save if I fail a couple of times and turn down the difficulty if I need to. Haven't had to do that yet on hard difficulty, it seems pretty forgiving for my generalist playstyle right now. I did have to so that couple of times with Assassins Creed Odyssey though and I feel 0 zero shame about it. Days of caring about that are way behind me.

the objectively healthy way to live

not very popular

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Last I checked Cyberpunk 2077 perks were subtle (meaningless) stuff like +5% reload speed or +1.5% headshot damage so you could probably get by with not spending a single point and just loading up in the best level-scaled gear available at any given moment

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

It’s on Steam if steam is fast for you. You’re probably downloading the client direct from NZ where the devs are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

ask ChatGPT for a Path of Exile build

The goon PoE discord has a dedicated channel for this but I just tried it and it’s broken