Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

There’s nine. Did they screw up?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Pictured: The literal worst way to make your kid ever feel like cleaning of their own free will. "I just don't understand why my kids never want to do chores when I make sure they only associate them with misery!"

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Doin' Your Spouse. Doin' Your Spouse. Doin' And Doin' And Doin' Your Spouse.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
drat that Blueberry strip proves time is cyclical. at least we had legal hookers back then!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That is good advice. I often end up with stuff inside out or the wrong way around.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

the animals are watching

and so is wilbur

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Shugojin posted:

the animals are watching

and so is wilbur

That reminds me, I want followup on if Wilbur really was stalking her everywhere or if she was just going insane.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

This bothers me. Stuart isn't allowed to be right and get one over, even against a customer. This should be anyone but him

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Weembles posted:

What is it with Arn and wolves?
I don't know, but I quite like that the modern strip has the wolves bail on a meal that was too dangerous and obviously ready for them rather than commit suicide, and that they correctly realized something's wrong if the wolves are actually trying to eat people.

Haifisch posted:

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse
Pictured: The literal worst way to make your kid ever feel like cleaning of their own free will. "I just don't understand why my kids never want to do chores when I make sure they only associate them with misery!"
Yeah, here she's neither treating her daughter like a rational human being or a child that doesn't know better and needs to be taught and seems to have decided that screaming about how frustrated and miserable she is will make this all better somehow maybe I guess.
Yes. God yes.
Heck, forget ancient texts, we almost lost Anne Frank's dirty jokes from her diary and that was less than a century ago.

Murdstone posted:

Flash Gordon

This Psittacosaurus doesn't have quills, immersion ruined.

edit: also i guess it's one hundred+ times bigger than it should be but whatever, maybe it's just overfed a little

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 2, 2023

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Drakyn posted:

I don't know, but I quite like that the modern strip has the wolves bail on a meal that was too dangerous and obviously ready for them rather than commit suicide, and that they correctly realized something's wrong if the wolves are actually trying to eat people.
Yeah, like, to be fair to the 'current' vintage strip, the wolves are probably mostly smelling a dead deer, which it's entirely reasonable for them to check out.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Junk Drawer

Home Free

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Junk Drawer

Strong title/caption synergy here.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Jättää X = to leave X
Jätin X:n = I left X off
Jätin X:n = I left X in

ANSU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Drakyn posted:

Yeah, here she's neither treating her daughter like a rational human being or a child that doesn't know better and needs to be taught and seems to have decided that screaming about how frustrated and miserable she is will make this all better somehow maybe I guess.

foob_mom.txt

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 10: Boys Like Fun Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Darkness gathers… any resemblance between The Waterman and pop impressario Pete Waterman is, of course, purely coincidental. But I did read Pete Waterman’s autobiography a few years ago, and never have I encountered so many fantastic boasts.

Four pages this week as Boys Like Fun Part 2 wraps up.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/13-15/41

Yes, it's Comics Amnesia, the kind that's immediately caused (and cured) by a whack on the noodle.

No concussion at all! :eng101:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 6/15-17/50

Archie 12/23-24/46

No Christmas Day strip.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for March 31, 1927! A Fred G. Cooper cover.

And yes, as threatened, they did that fake trivia thing again this week, but after testing all of you last night I didn't want to press my luck, so moving on to Walter Van Arsdale.

As you can probably tell, "art magazines" were usually pictorials of (ahem) life studies. Primarily female, and the less clothed the more artistic.

(somethingsomething) Bateman:

Albert Levering:

Paul Reilly:

And a John Held Jr illustrated ad:

The talk about underarm depilatories does make me wonder what the meeting was like when the rep from Gillette met with the Vogue editors, or whoever, to pitch shaven armpits. Did they go heavy into a sales pitch about aesthetics? Or did they just wait until an office girl in a sleeveless frock reached for something on a shelf and shout out "Good afternoon, President Lincoln!" until she took an early coffee break? To be a fly on the wall...

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

EasyEW posted:

The talk about underarm depilatories does make me wonder what the meeting was like when the rep from Gillette met with the Vogue editors, or whoever, to pitch shaven armpits. Did they go heavy into a sales pitch about aesthetics? Or did they just wait until an office girl in a sleeveless frock reached for something on a shelf and shout out "Good afternoon, President Lincoln!" until she took an early coffee break? To be a fly on the wall...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2QJvc_SxFQ
But razors instead of hats.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

EasyEW posted:

(somethingsomething) Bateman:

H.M. Bateman

http://www.hmbateman.com/

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Mar 31, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 16-17, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 30, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Due to the pecularities of the Finnish language, "Joona valaan vatsassa" can mean either "Jonah on the whale's stomach" or "Jonah in the whale's stomach".

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(July 23, 1916)

Little Nemo(December 17, 1905)

Making progress.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I’m awake at almost 4am so here’s Nancy 1943

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Cowslips Warren posted:

drat that Blueberry strip proves time is cyclical. at least we had legal hookers back then!

Yump, it sure was a dark lol when I was translating it (I admit the 'no more fake news' was an editorial on my end... But I felt it justified re. the modern-day parallels).

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Plungi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/2/03

Brenda Starr 9/17/50

Smokey Stover 11/8/53

Everyday Movies 4/10/36

"Who's there? ... Selling what? ... No, the lady of the house isn't in."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/16/41

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 22, 1956)

Tomorrow: An important development

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/16/41

Oh come on, this is reaching Newspaper Spider-Man levels of head trauma.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There is a thread running through Invisible Scarlet O'Neil that Scarlet O'Neil could probably accomplish a lot of the things she does a bit easier and certainly at much less danger to herself if she wasn't invisible

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Scarlet should keep a hard hat in her purse.

Also Scarlet rules, one of the best stupid old time comics posted.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 22, 1956)

Tomorrow: An important development

It doesn't feel right that you'd use wood you just cut from living trees for a fire, should be too wet, even if it was cut in deep winter when the wood is drier than summertime. Maybe it was dead wood.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Scarlet O'Neil is a national treasure.

F Minus

Just think of all the meat you could keep in them!

Mark Trail

This really swirls my hair.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

So leave.

Andertoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I think the biggest issue I'm having is that Mud/Fergus/whoever is dressed like a Man In Black. If he's really on some hippy-dippy spiritual journey thanks to this new (scam artist) guru, he should look less like a government agent and more like a flower child from the 60s.