Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I can't speak to the main campaign, but the lancers and rasslehague campaigns both do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Nope. Or rather the main campaign doesn’t anyway because it’s always single missions. Kestrel and Rasalhague will absolutely throw you in the trash if you don’t have a deep roster. But MW5 in general expects you to have a deep roster. Multiple Mission Contracts are overwhelmingly more profitable.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the info!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Tried for a record, cost myself 3 million C-bills on a mission where I blew up 79 of the 3 allowable collateral damage buildings.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GD_American posted:

Tried for a record, cost myself 3 million C-bills on a mission where I blew up 79 of the 3 allowable collateral damage buildings.

:lol:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

tactlessbastard posted:

Does the MW5 story campaign require several lances of good pilots and heavy mechs like the HBS BT endgame does?

No, I ended up with four maxed out pilots and a bunch of random chucklefucks wasting space. The chucklefucks came in handy when I installed Kestrel Lancers and it sent me back in time and told me to have ten mechs and ten pilots ready within a year.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just played the santa mission in bta and lol good thing the non canon missions repair your mechs and refund your gear

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

yeah that mission was no poo poo. Two heavy lances coming at you from right angles and you have to fight them uphill.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

I have no idea what the mod developer was thinking with this poo poo. Yeah we've got like a battalion of VTOLs on hot liftoff standby!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
To be fair I think that is from Coyote's because I don't think scary tanks affacts the spawns and I've definitely seen a giant vtol swarm like that before and I don't use scary tanks.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah I think that was coyote's, but scary tanks made them unkillable in a reasonable amount of time.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I wish coyotes was configurable, it has some very bullshit extra spawns. 29 demolishers and manticores (“defeat the tank swarm”) is bullshit when you’re tonnage limit meant you dropped 1 heavy and 3 mediums, especially on top of whatever the mission was also throwing at you. It also likes to toss 4-5 assaults at you with high tier gear out of nowhere, when you’re definitely not running a Steiner scout lance.

I like the other mission types it adds, but the spawns out of nowhere are annoying as poo poo.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If I was going to make an uber-Kickbot in BTA, which way should I start:

5/8 mp 80 tonner
6/9 mp 65 tonner
7/11 mp 55 tonner
8/12 mp 50 tonner

I know TSM is a must (so no MASC), a melee++ gyro, plus the best of the kick+ actuators. Anything else?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

For melee 'mechs in BTA, hardpoint layout matters at least as much as tonnage. Something with its weapons localized entirely in the torso is much more useful than something that spends slots on arm/leg weapons. Missile and ballistic hardpoints are ideal because TSM plus other crap like stealth or nullsig piling on heat modifiers means that energy weapons are extremely hard to sink.

As far as weight class goes, I usually find my sweet spots at 55t, 70t, and 80t. Anything heavier than 80t is functionally useless for melee because you simply can't make it fast enough to be worth the effort(sorry, berzerker fans, it kind of sucks rear end!). If you want a pure kickbot, quads are also great - the Barghest is fantastic for this job.

Supercharger is mandatory on melee mechs because in BTA you can only kick/punch/melee weapon while walking. I also usually prefer defense gyros on my melee 'mechs to melee gyros, because their role means you're putting them in scary positions and every scrap of defensive power helps. For other equipment, torso mounted cockpits are beneficial for safety and initiative, and fancy stuff that improves your defense like stealth armor, chameleon, and null sig are all beneficial. If you're running C3 or C3i it's also good to slap one on your melee unit(you'll need C3i if you're running stealth, ofc) because your melee unit is definitionally gonna be right up in their grill.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Do quads get a boost to kicking? I've noticed my Great Turtle wrecks poo poo when it does, although it's too slow for this use case.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GD_American posted:

If I was going to make an uber-Kickbot in BTA, which way should I start:

5/8 mp 80 tonner
6/9 mp 65 tonner
7/11 mp 55 tonner
8/12 mp 50 tonner

I know TSM is a must (so no MASC), a melee++ gyro, plus the best of the kick+ actuators. Anything else?

There's no real comparison to the good ole Berserker-C3. Comes with TSM, is a terrifyingly fast speed for a 100 tonner with a built in axe, and is just all around awesome. With pilot skills you don't need to worry about having any more movespeed than it brings to the table, and the damage output is absolutely bonkers.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Do axes use the punch table? (i/e ,1/6 chance of decapitating them)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Axes are the full body table, not the upper body table. But, it's kinda irrelevant because the amount of damage is so insanely high it'll OHKO any section of a mech that isn't using hardened armor or isn't a max armored 100 tonner.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

heads up, one of the mods here is deprecated and needs a nexus download, and scary tanks is also kinda nightmarish to run starting out. Other than that it's basically the most solid list there is though.

I am quite sure that Baradul switched off TtRulezAI for the time being.

It breaks the stealth missions (all the aggro all the time - you can still do it but you have to be quick) and it did nothing useful for me.

I switched off scary tanks, too, cause nobody has time for that... :byodood:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Loki Kunti posted:

I am quite sure that Baradul switched off TtRulezAI for the time being.

It breaks the stealth missions (all the aggro all the time - you can still do it but you have to be quick) and it did nothing useful for me.

I switched off scary tanks, too, cause nobody has time for that... :byodood:

I’ve noticed the broken stealth missions, but it does feel like it’s otherwise working - I’ve been noticing light mechs using cover/running away and missile units maintaining range better than unmodded.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Started a new BTA career. I went with the "content creators + George Ledoux" starting bonus.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SirPhoebos posted:

Started a new BTA career. I went with the "content creators + George Ledoux" starting bonus.

Sounds hilarious

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Found a screenshot from my last BTA campaign with the Berserker I was using:

Looks like a cool 200 damage on kicks, 150 damage from the axe, in addition to all the weapons since they're torso mounted. Oh, and a nice 2k armor to boot+ the ability to get 7 evasion pips. It's absolutely terrifying. That's one of my all time favorites in normal TT play too.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Man I can't stand how all the in the Battletech art design all the mechs has gross stubbly little t rex arms

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Captain Foo posted:

Sounds hilarious

My only quibble thus far is that Tex sounds like he recorded his lines at a lower volume than everyone else.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I know they made Panzyr a little bit less difficult but my god is it a frustrating mission in BTA. You *have* to fire only at the APCs until they're all dead, if you get a bad roll (even on melee) you're screwed, and the other like eight enemies just keep plinking away at you with their five-minute long turns. really a bummer

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Man I can't stand how all the in the Battletech art design all the mechs has gross stubbly little t rex arms

that's just the in-house art style now

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Found a screenshot from my last BTA campaign with the Berserker I was using:

Looks like a cool 200 damage on kicks, 150 damage from the axe, in addition to all the weapons since they're torso mounted. Oh, and a nice 2k armor to boot+ the ability to get 7 evasion pips. It's absolutely terrifying. That's one of my all time favorites in normal TT play too.

If you're running TSM + Supercharger on that thing it'll melt into a puddle the moment it fires a quarter of that weapons array!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pattonesque posted:

I know they made Panzyr a little bit less difficult but my god is it a frustrating mission in BTA. You *have* to fire only at the APCs until they're all dead, if you get a bad roll (even on melee) you're screwed, and the other like eight enemies just keep plinking away at you with their five-minute long turns. really a bummer

I beat that mission the same way I did most of the vanilla missions in bta: mines. The vehicle ai is too dumb to just drive over the mines despite them doing an inconsequential amount of damage

If they really wanted to fix it just remove spawn protection from the apcs. The big issue there is the map area is so small they are protected turn 1, have 8 evasion turn 2, and game over turn 3 so you are stuck in that "any miss and you're screwed" situation and it's just frustrating. Getting two rounds to shoot at them would make it a lot less annoying

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Azhais posted:

I beat that mission the same way I did most of the vanilla missions in bta: mines. The vehicle ai is too dumb to just drive over the mines despite them doing an inconsequential amount of damage

If they really wanted to fix it just remove spawn protection from the apcs. The big issue there is the map area is so small they are protected turn 1, have 8 evasion turn 2, and game over turn 3 so you are stuck in that "any miss and you're screwed" situation and it's just frustrating. Getting two rounds to shoot at them would make it a lot less annoying

wait does fascam ammo just completely gently caress the bta ai?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Captain Foo posted:

wait does fascam ammo just completely gently caress the bta ai?

Vehicles seem to get real confused. They'll push through eventually but I've had them just park for several turns contemplating their life

Mechs get over it unless they have damaged legs then they'll just sit there but they don't have a lot of choices at that point. If you want to screw with Mech AI (at least in the previous release, haven't tried it in the latest) BA is the way to go. They'll turn their back to 8 mechs to shoot at a BA squad on a hill behind them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fascams absolutely do not do inconsequential damage. I don't know exactly how they work but you want to lay a big field of them if possible, they double gently caress vehicles because heat damage gets converted into regular damage as well. They absolutely shred light mechs and most medium mechs too, your really heavy stuff can wander through with only moderate damage but even then if you strip the leg armour they will be completely helpless taking crits and falling over every time they try to move in the minefield.

Get the advanced fascams too which have a much wider dispersal area and I think do more damage? They cost a lot in ammo but my god are they worth it, you can clown on entire lances of mechs with those things. Best trick IMO is to do a multishot indirect barrage aimed at a few mechs in a lance and then use that to coat a huge chunk of the map in fascams as they scatter around the targets.

They're quite good on convoy intercept missions because the AI will absolutely just drive through them and explode their fragile (but fast) transports or stall out mid movement.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
yeah it's just so insanely frustrating. like i could get fASCAM but that feels like cheesing it, and the whole mission takes so LONG, plus BTA loading saves is only occasionally successful

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I solved bta panzyr with long toms

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

yeah it's just so insanely frustrating. like i could get fASCAM but that feels like cheesing it, and the whole mission takes so LONG, plus BTA loading saves is only occasionally successful

I played it just fine with a missile boat, melee shadow hawk and some laser boats. you do have to kill the apc's but then the turrets come online and you sweep the rest pretty easily. I did ignore the secondary objective which made it a ton easier

I've also never had a problem with saves being corrupted or not working :shrug:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I've also never had a problem with saves being corrupted or not working :shrug:

I assume he means re-loading. I've never had issues loading after a fresh startup, loading because you lost and want to replay pretty much requires you quit the game and relaunch

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Heavy Mortar carriers give excellent FASCAM. They create a far denser minefield than any other artillery.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So if I was looking to do a modded campaign starting post Helm but pre-Clans would either BTA or BEX be better?

I don't mind a little bullshit, but trying to use battle armor or insane specialty equipment is more than I care for. Or are both going to just be completely overwhelming to a person who doesn't know any weapons/parts from the Jihad on?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I think bex is what you’re looking for, as someone who’s playing bta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Unrelated i keep bringing a long tom to city missions and failing the collateral damage objectives on turn one

lol