Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm really enjoying Sifu. I don't usually like brawlers or parry-heavy combat (because i suck at video games) but for some reason Sifu really gets me into that flow state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sifu is great. Got my first complete run yesterday and am really loving it. There's so many interactions with the environment and weapons, they really thought of everything you'd want in a martial arts movie game with some light to heavy supernatural stuff.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Very early on, when the camera shifts in the hallway into an Oldboy homage that played perfectly , was when I knew the designers knew exactly what they were doing and the game was going to be a treat.

^ Not a plot spoiler but a fun moment better as a surprise

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Eason the Fifth posted:

Very early on, when the camera shifts in the hallway into an Oldboy homage that played perfectly , was when I knew the designers knew exactly what they were doing and the game was going to be a treat.

^ Not a plot spoiler but a fun moment better as a surprise

Oh poo poo, this kind of sells me instantly.

Not that the martial arts aspect hadn't already, are there any other games out there that have great hand to hand combat and make you feel like you're in a Bruce Lee flick?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Path of Neo was really really fun as a beat'em up and besides like, Batman Arkham games (which I never got into) I see sifu and I want a Path of Neo sequel

Is there any hope of the last of us being patched up to par in a decent timeframe or should I just... ignore the game for a year

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The developer of Lacuna put up a demo of their next game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1921980/Between_Horizons/

e: Also, a release date for Cassette Beasts has been announced: April 26th

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 1, 2023

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Deakul posted:

Not that the martial arts aspect hadn't already, are there any other games out there that have great hand to hand combat and make you feel like you're in a Bruce Lee flick?

The mechanics aren't very deep but sleeping dogs does the aesthetics of that very well

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Try Midnight Fight Express. It’s basically Batman combat and nothing else with massive replayability.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

The Pirate Captain posted:

Try Midnight Fight Express. It’s basically Batman combat and nothing else with massive replayability.

And an amazing soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0M-z5INtkc

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Deakul posted:

Max Payne Kung Fu?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New postal game just dropped for free!

Poostall Royale

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2362740/POOSTALL_Royale/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXtAstBHYCs

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 1, 2023

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's actual garbage, I wouldn't really bother anyone else about trying it honestly.

I guess the joke is that it's a bad attempt at bullet hell/bullet purgatory/survivors-like/bullet heaven/Vampire Survivors-like games but whatever it's april fools lol and it's free?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

FrickenMoron posted:

Terra Nil seems overpriced for the gimmick game it was in the demo. Is the full game any better?

You seem like you’ve already made up your mind, tbh

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

The developer of Lacuna put up a demo of their next game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1921980/Between_Horizons/

e: Also, a release date for Cassette Beasts has been announced: April 26th

Anyone else remember Sin? That's what I thought of just now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sin the animated movie? Yes I do.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just because I found this out last week and I'm sure it's a surprise to someone else: did you know the reason Sin: Episodes stopped wasn't due to them selling poorly, but instead because casual-games company MumboJumbo, the 7 Wonders and hidden object and Luxor games people, bought Ritual Software outright and told them "And now you're going to make a bunch of casual titles for us"? Which caused most of the staff to leave for other companies?

I found this out because I wondered what happened to 7W/Luxor and found out that MumboJumbo basically consisted of like ten solid years of amazingly bizarre business decisions that still didn't force them to shutter until they just all went radio silent and crapped out in the 2010s.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
I finished DREDGE including all of the side missions I'm aware of, and I have to say its intro hours are a lot more interesting than the later ones unfortunately. The first and second areas build up a lot of mystery and the transition to Gale Cliffs felt like leaving the intro area of a game and entering the wider world, but it never really opens up and the game just becomes a string of "the first person you talk to in the area gives you a problem, and you solve that one problem and move on to the next area" puzzles that aren't that engaging unless catching a few fish and taking them back to the quest giver is your thing (maybe it is, it's a fishing game after all!).

The mystery drops off as you enter Gale Cliffs as well, where it transitions from the ominous intro area where you know something weird is happening that nobody is really acknowledging to just 4 more areas where everything is entirely weird and everyone is just openly saying yo this is pretty fuckin' weird huh?

Probably the most disappointing part was how few characters there were as the game progressed - the first area has close to 10 that all work to build the initial mystery, the second has 3 that don't engage with it at all (plus a recurring trader), and from there every subsequent area has just one - the person that hands out the local quest.

I really wanted to love the full game because I loved the demo, but it's just not there for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I know it was a game by that name, but I can't think of Sin without thinking of the weird non-lip synched NPC screaming,"SINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!" through clenched teeth in Final Fantasy X :allears:

Edit: Holy poo poo, I actually found it!

https://i.imgur.com/Grtn00o.mp4

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 2, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lmao so I never played Ark, but according to this they will be shutting down Survival Evolved's official servers and the only way to play on them will be to preorder Ark 2, which will give you access to an updated UE5 version of it. Now, apparently you'll still be able to play on that first game's unofficial servers, which maybe everyone does now anyways, but still it all feels pretty brazen.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I know it was a game by that name, but I can't think of Sin without thinking of the weird non-lip synched NPC screaming,"SINNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!" through clenched teeth in Final Fantasy X :allears:

Edit: Holy poo poo, I actually found it!

https://i.imgur.com/Grtn00o.mp4

The transition from FMV, to characters with the high poly model, to characters who have texture face is so jarring.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

Lmao so I never played Ark, but according to this they will be shutting down Survival Evolved's official servers and the only way to play on them will be to preorder Ark 2, which will give you access to an updated UE5 version of it. Now, apparently you'll still be able to play on that first game's unofficial servers, which maybe everyone does now anyways, but still it all feels pretty brazen.
that dev has always been a brazen grifter

Marsupilami

I got this in a bundle with the Smurfs game and some other stuff and it was quite solid. Licensed games are in a somewhat different place on PC/console now-- if they're not for tiny infants, then some effort has to actually go into them or no one will buy them; the reason being, they can just play licensed poo poo on their phones for much cheaper. Outside of Garfield Kart the licensing grift is largely coming to an end in the premium console space. So devs have to at least care a little bit. You can largely tell just based on the # of reviews licensed games get on Steam, which is to say, not that much, and especially for the bad ones, the reviews are especially brutal (like recent Asterix games).

All that to say that Marsupilami is a solid Donkey Kong Country Returns clone with Rayman Legends style music and it plays pretty well, although it is not difficult in the slightest (I ended up hitting the 99 lives cap before the end of the game). It's got the similar moveset, and although you won't be collecting letters (probably not ideal with a name as long as the protagonist's) there are feathers to collect as well as hidden bonus areas to win tickets, which can be used to unlock something equivalent to the massive coin levels of Super Mario 3D world (like the golden train specifically). The feathers can unlock additional levels as well. The bundle version includes the prehistoric DLC which adds an additional island to the game that is over half the length of the regular campaign (main game has 15 levels including the unlocked stages, DLC has 8+unlocks). That said, it's still not super-long, my playthrough of the main campaign was 2 1/2 hours long.

Smurfs: Mission Vileaf

Perhaps the only time you'll be able to say the words "decent Smurfs game" in that specific order. It's a cozy 3D platformer whose light difficulty no longer stands out as a negative in the era of "Wholesome Games" platformers that eschew difficulty for vibes. And though the characters love to use the word smurf in ways that feel like it borders on Robot Chicken-caliber obnoxious parody at times, it's a pretty chill game on the whole.

Similar to Mario Sunshine, you are equipped with a special backpack for cleansing corrupted areas. But instead of evil paint, it's toxic flora. There's something very relaxing about going around, fog-blasting all the evil grass and healing it, watching the "% healed" number go up in the pause menu. There's very barely combat in the game (which just means fog-blasting the enemies like you would anything else) but it's very inconsequential and not really needed imo. You get new abilities over time like a sprint, butt bounce, and glide, and of course these things can help you go back to previous levels to clear out more corruption and get the various collectables, which in this game serve as crafting requirements for backpack upgrades rather than level-gating. Which is fine, it makes collecting completely optional and not required if that's something that bothers you. Upgrades include extra health, longer ability charges, extra gliding, etc.

Again, it doesn't reinvent the wheel but it's perfectly fine. The kind of game that is nice to get out of a bundle like the Fanatical one, rather than paying $25 for it. I'm hoping based on these two games (which actually came out one month apart in 2021), and TMNT Shredder's Revenge, and the return of the Scott Pilgrim game, that publishers are now realizing that people won't settle for slop anymore. (unless it's for their 3 year old)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 2, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not to mention borderline incapable of actual development.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The Gripper posted:

I finished DREDGE including all of the side missions I'm aware of, and I have to say its intro hours are a lot more interesting than the later ones unfortunately. The first and second areas build up a lot of mystery and the transition to Gale Cliffs felt like leaving the intro area of a game and entering the wider world, but it never really opens up and the game just becomes a string of "the first person you talk to in the area gives you a problem, and you solve that one problem and move on to the next area" puzzles that aren't that engaging unless catching a few fish and taking them back to the quest giver is your thing (maybe it is, it's a fishing game after all!).

The mystery drops off as you enter Gale Cliffs as well, where it transitions from the ominous intro area where you know something weird is happening that nobody is really acknowledging to just 4 more areas where everything is entirely weird and everyone is just openly saying yo this is pretty fuckin' weird huh?

Probably the most disappointing part was how few characters there were as the game progressed - the first area has close to 10 that all work to build the initial mystery, the second has 3 that don't engage with it at all (plus a recurring trader), and from there every subsequent area has just one - the person that hands out the local quest.

I really wanted to love the full game because I loved the demo, but it's just not there for me.

Yeah, after reading that, and thinking over my playtime, it feels like they had a bunch of cool stuff for the demo, but then ran out of mystery after you start making your way to other areas.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Buff Hardback posted:

Yeah, after reading that, and thinking over my playtime, it feels like they had a bunch of cool stuff for the demo, but then ran out of mystery after you start making your way to other areas.

Yeah, unfortunately I am running a bit out of steam in the last area as well. I did quite enjoy the other areas (especially the tropical one), but at this point the repeating conceit of "catch these specific fish while dodging increasingly annoying environmental hazards" is wearing a bit thin.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
started a space for the unbound and after a nice if twee prologue chapter i had a suspicion about the direction the story was going in and read ahead. it's a "guilty coma dream" story

at this point that's an instant drop for me, i've got no more patience or use for them

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Leal posted:

The transition from FMV, to characters with the high poly model, to characters who have texture face is so jarring.
Some people are just more important than others.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I am running a bit out of steam in the last area as well. I did quite enjoy the other areas (especially the tropical one), but at this point the repeating conceit of "catch these specific fish while dodging increasingly annoying environmental hazards" is wearing a bit thin.
I definitely can't argue with you on the game's visual design, it's solid and was a big part of what kept me at it. My review above was in retrospect and I had almost the same experience as you; I spent time exploring the areas up until the last one, which I just rushed through because of the escalating hazard sapping the fun out of it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ok but do you get to flyreel Dagon?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Any opinions on Sifu ? How hard of a game is it ?

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

fit em all up in there posted:

Sifu is tough but it's fair. They added difficulty settings post-launch that (if you want) make it less of a ballache when you're stuck by punishing you with just +1 year instead of multiple and buffs your health, but I think it keeps your damage, enemy strength, and HP the same so it just lets you take a few more hits and doesn't completely trivialize it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Deakul posted:

Sleeping Dogs
Such a fun game, surprisingly good VA and story as well

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
20 hours into Subnautica Below Zero and I just love tooling around in the ocean with my sea truck and then jumping into the exo-suit to go see what's down in those deep holes. It gets a bit tense doing wreck penetration with limited air and hoping to not get lost, but apart from that its mostly cool af. Until I got to a zone that made my computer say "warning, leviathan class creature in this area" and that got things going a bit.
Not worked out where I want to build a super base yet. Got something basic in the shallows but really want to get a big facility going if I can find a good spot for it.

A friend tells me he can't play it because of the horror of the unknown deeps, but I don't get that at all. It's just a blast rummaging around these crazy biomes and trying not to reach my crush depth.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

fit em all up in there posted:

Haven't played since they added the easier difficulty options but I'd say it's quite hard but also a deceptively good teacher once you get going. The age mechanic seems very punishing at first -- dying permanently adds to your age which accumulates across the entire game, aging changes a few things about your character but most importantly once you get old enough, it's game over. However the game creates a snapshot at the end of each stage with the lowest age you've ever completed it at, which you can always rewind to at any time. In doing this it encourages you to go back and retry earlier stages & beat them with fewer deaths, so you have more leeway in future ones. This very naturally constantly nudges you into the (extremely gratifying, IMO) scenario where you're whipping through levels that you used to struggle with but now you're barely taking a single hit,and doing so makes future stages easier, and then you get to the next stage and repeat the cycle all over again. It's a tough game but the age mechanic is very clever (and thematically nails the Kung Fu setting) in how it encourages you to master he fundamentals before moving on.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Gromit posted:

A friend tells me he can't play it because of the horror of the unknown deeps, but I don't get that at all. It's just a blast rummaging around these crazy biomes and trying not to reach my crush depth.

He's probably thinking about the original Subnautica instead of BZ. I never really had a problem in BZ but I just can not finish OG Subnautica because it's just too scary for me when I reach the "We need to go deeper" phase of the game.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Does anyone use back paddles with sifu? Wondering how you have yours mapped if so. Been trying some things out, but haven't found anything that feels great.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 3, 2023

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I grabbed Sifu after going back and forth on it, and I've been having an absolute blast. My only real complaint is that I think the way aging works is an absolute momentum-killer: I honestly wish there was an option to not get any upgrades within a level, and in turn not have to stop playing for 15 seconds every time I died.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Kenshi is fun but holy hell who has this much RAM?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Jagged Jim posted:

He's probably thinking about the original Subnautica instead of BZ. I never really had a problem in BZ but I just can not finish OG Subnautica because it's just too scary for me when I reach the "We need to go deeper" phase of the game.

You're right, but I was the same with that one too. Loads of fun trying to get deeper and braving those edges.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

credburn posted:

Kenshi is fun but holy hell who has this much RAM?

You don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

I've got 16. What's the typical gamer's RAM loadout nowadays?