Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

all of the civil servants who to work tomorrow at the administration building will now work for Russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

another example is how the main plot of both cyberpunk 2077 and the various ubisoft open world games are fairly milquetoast, but the side quests and flavor text tend to be far more subversive (because the suits don't look at them too closely )

The main plot of Cyberpunk 2077 is pretty decent, it's just libshit.

It's all about meaning of life, purpose, legacy. That's why the central conflict is between the imperial japanese soldier trying to achieve immortality through technology and the American soldier boy through rock music and nuclear weapons.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, all 3 of them left in the city, but otherwise it just means that the Russians are slowly pushing through central Bakhmut. The big fight to come is over the Western high-rises which is probably going to be a tough fight.

It turns out brutalist apartment buildings are kind of hard to fight and take down.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

here's a Frosted Flake comment:-

"ummm AKSHUALLY 90% of stalingrad was taken at one point so if there's no encirclement there's no sure victory I love my evil Cruella Deville wife."

this aint stalingrad buddy

its helms deep

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Al-Saqr posted:

"ummm AKSHUALLY 90% of stalingrad was taken at one point so if there's no encirclement there's no sure victory I love my evil Cruella Deville wife."

gently caress you frosted flake rules

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

frosted flank what equipment does each side need to win

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This plays over the credits of the game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4bKZT_Eg4A

Because it's literally the text of the main plot.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
you know thinking about all the fighting over a tractor factory between russians and germans, it makes a lot sense today considering the success of farming simulators

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Al! posted:

gently caress you frosted flake rules

he does rule im just ribbing

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

I just looked it up and Leningrad is bigger than Finland

Not for lack of trying by the Finns tho

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think we can all agree that Finland's best contribution to the world at large was the steam game "my summer car". Maybe NATO can wrangle a HD texture pack from them.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Al! posted:

frosted flank what equipment does each side need to win

FF is artillery-brained so it's just going to be increasingly larger diameters/lengths of tube

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al-Saqr posted:

I would at least refer to the tractor factory and grain elevator by name, plus that one combat engineer battalion that actually made it to the bank of the river.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhh9k8FZgs

Endman posted:

FF is artillery-brained so it's just going to be increasingly larger diameters/lengths of tube

Using 203mm guns on the streets of Berlin was pretty sick.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:42 on Apr 3, 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

what the gently caress is this thing

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

what the gently caress is this thing

One of the contributing factors behind Berlin having no glass in the windows by wars end.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
How did it move? Did they just tow it on tracks?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

that's an infantry's solution to clearing a strong point, topographically that is.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Slavvy posted:

:(

You're right but I will still play mw5 because I have to have them all

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
Sick of Bethesda hate. The games have orcs in them so they are good. I’m counting super mutants as orcs too, gently caress the haters.

Don’t care how “good” your game is, No Orc= No Install.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FF does your expertise go as far back as being able to tell us the merits of ACW-era rifled cannons (Parrots?) versus smoothbores (Napoleons?)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Turtle Watch posted:

Sick of Bethesda hate. The games have orcs in them so they are good. I’m counting super mutants as orcs too, gently caress the haters.

Don’t care how “good” your game is, No Orc= No Install.

Is going from emaciated pig man to shrek evolution or devolution?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I will never get tired of artillery posting, unlike the poor bastards that are posted underneath where the artillery lands.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

there's just straight up videos of militias working in 2015 on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8q-on0_F6A

anyway

Нам пишут из Янины. posted:

I wasn't going to comment on Tatarsky's death at all, but the feed brought up a rarity. Usually Grubnik and I are accused of the same things, but here he was accused of writing something about it, and I was sort of accused of keeping quiet. Where's Murz.

Suddenly, I'm working. And wasting time settling scores with a dead man wasn't planning on it. First of all, it's boring.

My attitude to the deceased is well known to all, you can start with this post in my LiveJournal and continue on by tagging "Tatarsky".

Tatarsky was not "on our side", he was on his side, he was a common mercenary, a de facto media prostitute, as I have written about repeatedly. If it was necessary for his career, he fraternised with the Ukrops on TV while a fierce "truce" was taking place here, if it was necessary for his career, he shouted "Ukrops are faggots! If needed (earlier, during the "rise to fame"), was the "favorite wife" of the media people of the 2nd AK NM of the LNR, telling them how great everything was. Hired by private companies, he started telling them how everything in the NM sucks, so go do freelance work, you know.

At the same time, suddenly, I regret Tatarsky's death, because (I wrote about it many times) I wanted very much to squeeze his throat (preferably while recording a video) and hear him tell exactly who had advised him to voice the version that the tankers of our August battalion had been killed in January 2015 near Sanzharivka because they had no radio communication with the infantry. That was because of me, who was then the battalion's head of communications. Although they had communication with battalion commanders and infantry. They just threw the tanks into an attack on a height without infantry before the agreed time, thrown on orders from above. They blamed it on Kostin's commander, who was left to rot in prison when he returned to the LNR. They left him with empty KDZs, rendering him helpless against conventional infantry RPGs, which they used to burn the tanks on the heights. And the attack on Debaltsevo, which had just begun on our side, "stumbled", which resulted in more deaths on the part of our fighters. I am also, in Tatarsky's words, to blame for that.

The ones to blame were not the ones who had not brought the plastic for the KDZs in time, not the ones who had ordered the attack despite the lack of it, not the ones who had demanded the immediate attack of the heights with the tanks. It was me who had done all I could to keep the guys alive.

For those of you who are about to make a grimace of disdainful "But why would you...", let's make a deal. Some popular lying human being (there are thousands of them) will accuse you loudly, all over the internet, of the deaths of your comrades-in-arms and a huge mass of other people, and you keep quiet. You will shut up, won't you?

Wish fulfilled, I commented.
(from t.me/wehearfromyanina/1626, via tgsa)

Murz is a real poster, gets into a poo poo flinging slap fight on telegram over the littlest thing.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Nix Panicus posted:

Is going from emaciated pig man to shrek evolution or devolution?

Every game the orcs look different, it’s strange, but that’s CHIM. I hope they look good in Starfield.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
haha poop elves.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I never played NV but FO4 let me go buckwild with a thunder hammer 10/10

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I wonder if, in part, it's because the career "video game writer" doesn't attract the best.

it’s this.

video game enjoyers most people are generally unfamiliar with analysis, subtext and nuance in anything but their most crude forms, which is why having fat julius caesar namedrop dialectics immediately makes a bunch of 30-somethings drop their jaws and record hour-long video essays about it

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You dont meet caesar until you've crossed the entire game map & double backed

Idk I dont think "post apocalyptic gang has a theme" is a sign of bad writing

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
NAFO revisionism : actually the Azov Battalion has no nazis in it now nor did it have nazis in it in the past, it's all russian propaganda

this thread's revisionism : Actually Fallout IV is better than NV, it's all Josh Sawyer propaganda

honestly, I'm sickened

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Video game writers are the literary equivalent to Subway sandwich artists and should be constantly reminded of that

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think a person should be allowed to make a really good and delicious sandwich, and they shouldn't be mocked for it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

If it’s a competition between just FO4 and New Vegas, I’d say the base game New Vegas is better than FO4, but I really enjoyed Far Harbour a lot more than NV’s expansions that went from sort of interesting (Dead Money) to cringe memes (Old World Blues) to eye rolling melancholy (Lonesome Road). Honest Hearts was just boring.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think Far Harbour is good, but it's not comparable to anything else in Fallout 4. Only the crucible of Nuka Cola World was good, well that and the MURICA display with the not advanced power armor. I forget if there was some other dlc besides the robot super villain one after that.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

You dont meet caesar until you've crossed the entire game map & double backed

Idk I dont think "post apocalyptic gang has a theme" is a sign of bad writing

it’s what 90% of people latch onto when trying to explain exactly what it is that makes it the best fallout game. that, and the whole “WHAT IF I TOLD YOU THE PRE-WAR WORLD WAS ALSO poo poo??”-thing that the expansions keep rubbing in your face with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer

another thing that kinda bothers me about fallout in general is how they use the concept of “raiders” as a generic stand-in for orcs. they’re all irredeemably evil, dirty slavers and drug addicts, and whenever you get a side quest to enter one of their communities and turn 30-50 people into red mist and scattered body parts it’s generally presented as an unproblematic morally good act.

smug jeebus posted:

Video game writers are the literary equivalent to Subway sandwich artists and should be constantly reminded of that

:hmmyes:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Comrade Koba posted:

another thing that kinda bothers me about fallout in general is how they use the concept of “raiders” as a generic stand-in for orcs. they’re all irredeemably evil, dirty slavers and drug addicts, and whenever you get a side quest to enter one of their communities and turn 30-50 people into red mist and scattered body parts it’s generally presented as an unproblematic morally good act.

That's because they're all Lord Humungus, OP.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The old world sucks rear end was always the message of fallout. The old world explicitly the bad guy of the 2nd game.

New Vegas just has the most obvious video game poo poo going for it like after you make it out of the tutorial area the game tells you you can go left (if you know everything there is to know about the game already) or you can go right and the game has a step by step planned out quest line that takes you to a bunch of side quests and story lines leading up to the main event.

There's nothing special about New Vegas except for the incredibly obvious video game stuff like "the game should lead you by hand for a consistent experience" and "the game should do stuff to show that it recognizes that you made a choice when clicking a dialog box or leveling up your character".

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
its tough existing as a writer in the games biz, as its not often stable work. because of that a lotta the time the work gets contracted out to script writers from hollywood / netflix / whatever

good games writing is also tough because of how it sits in the overall pipeline of work, its extremely expensive to do re-writes and iterate (this is also often the only way to make it good)

one of the reasons bethesda loving sucks at narrative were cheap agreements to use hollywood talent for the work instead of paying union labor to do it. the acquisition with MS might raise the bar but who knows

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

smug jeebus posted:

Imo subway sandwich artists make some pretty good sandwiches. You sound like a sandwich elitist.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

OctaMurk posted:

Imo subway sandwich artists make some pretty good sandwiches. You sound like a sandwich elitist.

Nah, you say subway workers are sandwich artists i laugh. but if you said it about quiznos workers....you may be on to something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

what is an artist, even