Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

zachol posted:

I really hope that just means "caps at an industry standard 100w via USB C."

Yep, that's exactly it.

There's a newer revision of the USB-C PD standard which adds support for 140W and higher, but it wasn't ratified until after Apple designed and shipped the 16" M1. I'm sure they'll support it eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, now I just feel like I've been responding to a troll.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, now I just feel like I've been responding to a troll.

I'm not a troll and I'm just posting my legitimate feelings on products and always have been. My reddit is u/lyzing if you want to look at how bad my post history is on that website as well. I live in Nashua NH if you ever want to meet up in person send me a PM.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

BobHoward posted:

Yep, that's exactly it.

There's a newer revision of the USB-C PD standard which adds support for 140W and higher, but it wasn't ratified until after Apple designed and shipped the 16" M1. I'm sure they'll support it eventually.

The 140W Apple PSU shipped with the 16 inch machines is one of the first adapters that supports the 140W USB PD standard! Magsafe is actually using the 140W USB PD standard. You can use Apple’s bricks with a 140W rated cable to charge something that expects 140W USB PD over type C.

The USB-C ports on the M1/M2 Pro/Maxes don’t because Thunderbolt doesn’t support those power standards yet.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 3, 2023

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Does anyone have suggestions for external batteries that can charge an M2 MBA at 65W?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MagSafe or USB-C? :cawg:

I've always bought mophie batteries. This one says it can put out 100W. No idea what 25k mAh works out to in extra battery life.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

anothergod posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for external batteries that can charge an M2 MBA at 65W?

i like the anker powerbanks a lot bc they double as normal chargers when plugged in, it owns

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My friend spilled coke on his old 2009 MacBook and now the keyboard doesn’t work

He gave it to me for free and now I’m wondering if I can turn it into a TVPC

I bought a Bluetooth keyboard with built in trackpad, but lo and behold the keyboard seems to only work with MacOS 10.12 and onward, and this particular MacBook can’t be upgraded past 10.11

Is there a wireless keyboard with trackpad that 100% for certain works with 10.11?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

You could install windows 10 on it to at least have it somewhat up to date and more compatible with hardware like that

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Steve Yun posted:

My friend spilled coke on his old 2009 MacBook and now the keyboard doesn’t work

Just blow it off with some compressed air?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wish the mac mini had a usbc/magsafe power cable. It's the one cable that is most likely to drape from the desk down. It'd also mean that you could travel with the mini a bit more easily, using whatever type-c cable was around, instead of the current double barrel.

Somebody needs to convince timbo that he can save shipping costs or kill a production line to make this happen.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

well why not posted:

I wish the mac mini had a usbc/magsafe power cable. It's the one cable that is most likely to drape from the desk down. It'd also mean that you could travel with the mini a bit more easily, using whatever type-c cable was around, instead of the current double barrel.

Somebody needs to convince timbo that he can save shipping costs or kill a production line to make this happen.

Moving to USB-C would mean changing the case machining rigs so it would cost them to do so. Every part beside the logic board is perfectly fine to keep in production forever.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Also those power leads have got to be one of the most solved and standardised problems in all of electronics, there's no way it's ever going to be worth moving away from them unless you have some kind of external pressing engineering consideration like how the iMac is literally too thin to accommodate it.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Travel with a Mini?

well why not posted:

…travel with the mini a bit more easily, using whatever type-c cable was around, instead of the…

Travel with a mini? I can barely comprehend the concept. Do you also pack a monitor?

To finalize the unbelievably stupid Mag-Safe chat: if you think someone tripping over the power cord is a risk, then it’s good. If you don’t, then it’s irrelevant, use a USB-C port if you want to. What the gently caress is wrong with you people.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lincoln posted:

Travel with a Mini?

Travel with a mini? I can barely comprehend the concept. Do you also pack a monitor?

To finalize the unbelievably stupid Mag-Safe chat: if you think someone tripping over the power cord is a risk, then it’s good. If you don’t, then it’s irrelevant, use a USB-C port if you want to. What the gently caress is wrong with you people.

Like I said, this boiled down to no longer getting the world's worst cable as a free pack-in.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Like I said, this boiled down to no longer getting the world's worst cable as a free pack-in.

Funny thing is, based on this thread, I don’t know which cable you’re referring to.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lincoln posted:

Funny thing is, based on this thread, I don’t know which cable you’re referring to.

It's literally just one person who has a serious problem with MagSafe.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
MagSafe rules but the v2 MagSafe cable as a practical matter was just absolute dogshit. It just crumbled to poo poo in months and was hard attached to the power brick and so was a full price replacement. The best thing about the switch to USB-C was that at least the cable was trivially replaceable and the market was full of cheap, quality options. I was leery about the return of MagSafe but newer Apple cables are good now and also the cable is swappable so there's literally no possible complaint unless you are dead set against ever using that cable, in which case you already own some good USB-Cs anyway!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Idk, I kind of hate it now too.

E: Which models had v2? I went from 2013 to 2023 so I’m not surprised I missed it. Similarly speaking do we have any reason to think the v3 cable ends may hold up better? The 2013’s charger cords are nightmares in terms of fire hazards and having babies running around. Just a mess is shrink wrap, deteriorating insulation, and reinforcing springs.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 3, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Warbird posted:

Idk, I kind of hate it now too.

E: Which models had v2? I went from 2013 to 2023 so I’m not surprised I missed it. Similarly speaking do we have any reason to think the v3 cable ends may hold up better? The 2013’s charger cords are nightmares in terms of fire hazards and having babies running around. Just a mess is shrink wrap, deteriorating insulation, and reinforcing springs.

The move from cheap vinyl exterior jacketing to braided jacketing will probably significantly improve/lengthen the lifespan of the cable, since one of the primary driving forces (long-term volatilization/drying out of the jacket) is no longer applicable, and it plugs in at the charger instead of being hardwired to it.

The old chargers V1 and V2 chargers were sensitive to long-term damage at the connection point of the cable and charger largely due to wear-and-tear tied with the above, especially since a lot of people "weren't wrapping it right" (I'm joking) and leaving slack on the initial amount so that there wasn't any strain at the connection. And T-shaped connectors are more resilient to the strain also than the L-shaped connectors were for the actual MagSafe. I think they went to the L-shape because of its cleaner/low-profile look, but it was definitely a detriment.

So yeah, I'd expect the "new" MagSafe to be much better in terms of longevity.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

God I hope so.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Traveling with a Mac mini is weird...but I've done it before way back. Basically have a desk setup at home and at work, and just unplug and plug stuff in. Kinda like docking a laptop but more inconvenient cause you gotta shut it down before unplugging.

well why not posted:

MagSafe is fine for something with an internal battery. The Mac mini does not have a battery. Unless you're also asking for a battery the vast majority of users will never use and just be another failure point.

Moving power to USB-C would also mean moving to an external power brick. Which was kind of annoying for the older Minis way back for travel use, albeit those were proprietary ones. There's some possible advantages like moving the PSU out of the case for more space for whatever or easy replacement if it dies. But at best it feels like a push cause the current standard plug is such a common standard itself and having the PSU internal is convenient in its own right.

SourKraut posted:

And T-shaped connectors are more resilient to the strain also than the L-shaped connectors were for the actual MagSafe. I think they went to the L-shape because of its cleaner/low-profile look, but it was definitely a detriment.
Kinda wonder, were the L shaped ones any worse for the "safe" part of MagSafe? Never had one but I could imagine if they were pulled certain directions it might yank the laptop a bit before detaching.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Warbird posted:

MacBook Pros / Airs switched to MagSafe 2 starting with the 15-inch Mid 2012 models on the Pros.

Like Sour Kraut said, Apple is now using braided / woven fabric for their MagSafe 3 cables instead of whatever that ungodly vinyl / rubberized plastic was on the MagSafe 2s. It seems to hold up a lot better than the old cable.

To be honest though, Apple's own USB-C cables were made with that same poo poo right up until about a year ago, if you buy a USB-C cable from them now it'll be the braided / woven fabric.

I keep getting the feeling that Jony was a great designer's designer, but was a total shithead at materials science.

To me, the whole butterfly keyboard fiasco was probably his fault because he went with the wrong basic materials, and they then hired someone competent after the fact and told them 'fix Jony's keyboard but for chrissake don't change the basic design' and the best they could do was tweak the basic flawed construction, then put a condom over everything and declare it fixed.

Then when that also kept failing, and people kept bitching, they went back and said, 'Ok, so what worked?' They went back to the scissors mechanism that was used in the rMBPs from 2012-2015 which no one ever really complained about, tweaked it just a little and then Mac keyboards got their groove back.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
As someone with two usb-c powered Macbooks I don’t mind it. But there have been people at work with them where the port has just gotten so loose over time the cable can be pulled out very easily.

Also a couple of them the ports just straight up died which just meant the entire logic board had to be replaced.

I have a feeling most people just treat their work devices like crap anyway so idk.

Saying that I have one of those little usb-c magsafe style cables for my work mbp to charge it. But it’s a bit too easy to disconnect.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nobody gives the slightest gently caress about their work laptops, that is true.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

japtor posted:

Kinda wonder, were the L shaped ones any worse for the "safe" part of MagSafe? Never had one but I could imagine if they were pulled certain directions it might yank the laptop a bit before detaching.

Honestly I don’t know, but my personal anecdotal experience with the original v1 and v2 was that v2 was less likely to pull out under minor interactions, so I guess that could be better or worse depending on how the people view it, but it also could have been just the additional weight of my 15” rMBP vs my prior 2011 13” MBP.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was excited for the return of Magsafe, but the batteries on these things last so long now I'm almost never plugging it in away from a desk, where it gets plugged in to a dock. Feels like the days of plugging in on the couch and at the coffee shop are behind me. (Obviously that's not going to be everyone's experience though.)

My anecdotal experience with the V2 magsafe was that it definitely could yank something off a sofa/less grippy surface in a way that the v1 wouldn't.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I think I'm ready to have a MBP again. I'm looking through the refurb site now and I'm curious what the sweet spot might be right now for price/performance(as much as you can in apple). Last one I had was a 2014 vintage 15" MBP and I loved it, but it had to go back to the company I was with at the time. How stout is the 16GB/M1 variety nowadays? Probably won't be doing anything too intensive on it outside of an occasional video edit and some more personal geared things and some tasks that I also do on my ipad/pencil. MAYBE vmware stuff down the line, but I have other hardware for that. I'm mostly remote/field work on network hardware.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 3, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Farking Bastage posted:

I think I'm ready to have a MBP again. I'm looking through the refurb site now and I'm curious what the sweet spot might be right now for price/performance(as much as you can in apple). Last one I had was a 2014 vintage 15" MBP and I loved it, but it had to go back to the company I was with at the time. How stout is the 16GB/M1 variety nowadays? Probably won't be doing anything too intensive on it outside of an occasional video edit and some more personal geared things and some tasks that I also do on my ipad/pencil. MAYBE vmware stuff down the line, but I have other hardware for that. I'm mostly remote/field work on network hardware.

Even the M1 MBA has enough power for your use case. Just get 16 GB of RAM and at least 512GB of SSD storage for whichever AS Mac you are looking at and you will be set.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Travel with a Mini?

I know it's not common, but I do it quite a lot. I have a screen at my office, one at home and borrow one from my partner when I'm at their place. The mini fits in a laptop-sized bag nicely and was much cheaper than a comparable macbook pro at the time.

The points about the connector only making sense for devices with batteries, and the power cable being a solved problem are truly valid, far outweighing my idea, haha.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i like the old barrel magsafe because it actually stayed connected in your lap, unlike the wimpy t-jack magsafe my 2012 uses (still my regular notebook lol). but new laptops have sick battery life so i can't be bothered to care

Warbird posted:

I bet you still use a VGA monitor with an adaptor.

the gdm-fw900 is the finest computer display ever built and i will hear no arguments against it

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 4, 2023

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I feel that the rumors about a 15-inch Air would have a lot of goons interested in such a beast..

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I would not say no to an M2 air with a 120 hz screen and magsafe.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
At work we have a now unused Mac Pro 8,1 with 32gb, ram 8 core cpu and the mid range D500 gpu. Was the video editor's machine but they got a much newer MBP and they no longer have a desk anyway. Just wondering if I should bother taking it for myself.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

track day bro! posted:

At work we have a now unused Mac Pro 8,1 with 32gb, ram 8 core cpu and the mid range D500 gpu. Was the video editor's machine but they got a much newer MBP and they no longer have a desk anyway. Just wondering if I should bother taking it for myself.
I think people have gotten interested in the trash cans recently cause used prices have dropped below whatever impulse buy price (under $300?). I guess they're at the point of cheap and still useful enough for some stuff, like just having a pretty Mac around for random legacy x86 Mac or Windows uses. Or just for collecting cause they look neat.

(Going by the GPU I'm guessing you mean Mac Pro 6,1 cause 8,1 doesn't appear to exist)

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah 6,1 dunno why I said 8,1

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

well why not posted:

I know it's not common, but I do it quite a lot. I have a screen at my office, one at home and borrow one from my partner when I'm at their place…

Oh, hah, I see. I travel for work a lot, so I assumed you’d be working from a hotel room.

FWIW, the MagSafe charger (with brick) stays in my laptop travel bag. When I’m using my MBP in the office, it’s plugged into the monitor via Thunderbolt and there’s zero tripping hazard. Anywhere else, though, I’m glad to have the MagSafe.

Also, somebody just mentioned battery life, and I know it’s old news, but I’m surprisingly impressed by the battery life of my M2 MBP. I do use the power-saver option when I’m on battery, but don’t really notice any performance dip. Strictly Photoshop/Illustrator. I just never paid any attention to battery life with any of my other laptops before, but it actually is really noticeable.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Is the buying info in the OP still relevant? It seemed to suggest apple refurb>H&b>other. Just making sure beforehand.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I kind of suspect the ultra thin case and very hot processors just cooked the batteries in the touchbar MBPs. Both my work-issued 2017 and personal 2018 lost almost half their capacity and started shutting down under 30% randomly after 3 years or so. Really hoping my M2 MBP lasts a lot longer just by keeping the battery cooler and drawing much less current from it on average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

Is the buying info in the OP still relevant? It seemed to suggest apple refurb>H&b>other. Just making sure beforehand.

Most of the poo poo in the OP is still correct EXCEPT for two things:

- You could probably put in Adorama and Amazon after B&H for third party vendors

- Apple now requires you to buy AppleCare within 90 days of purchase, not a year